ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan's Jim Harbaugh weighing $125 million contract extension offer that carries no-NFL clause, per report

$125m??
And people complain about NIL.

Ban all outside money (not just NIL) if you want a level playing field with the Michigan, OSU or PSU

Exactly
Don’t pay a kid but let the coach have generational wealth
The money is ridiculous and unwarranted in my opinion. But the current model mimics corporate America. Those at the top are paid handsomely and the minions (some of them) now get paid for their athletic services.

Reactions: Rhuarc and brgRC90
The money is ridiculous and unwarranted in my opinion. But the current model mimics corporate America. Those at the top are paid handsomely and the minions (some of them) now get paid for their athletic services.

That’s every sport.
There are max salary and minimum salaries for every player.
Not sure why this is only brought up for college athletes as some sort of huge locker room issue.

Do OC KC and DC Harisimiak make the same?
All the position coaches?

Do the CB and OL coaches resent the OC, DC and HC because they make more than they do?

Do all the assistants on the Pikes staff make the same? Is it causing issues?

That’s the trend in our country since 1970s. The top 1% get a bigger piece of each dollar produced by the economy every year - creating a class of super rich who have enough money to dominate the political system, cementing their advantage through changes to regulations, tax code, and laws.

It def. mimics it, but the average employee doesn't have the power (or talent) these athletes do

Otherwise, you'd see employees essentially revolting and signing large figure side deals like these athletes are doing

The corrupt NCAA dropping the ball once again
Michigan is easily a top 4 team in America and deserve to be in the playoffs

But they're rewarded a # 1 seed when they were accused of, and admitted to, and had a suspension of their head coach served for... cheating. And insultingly egregious cheating at that.

"Hey congrats on blanataly breaking the rules and screwing over every team you played, here's the # 1 seed"

When they say it's not about money... it's always about the money

The corrupt NCAA dropping the ball once again
Michigan is easily a top 4 team in America and deserve to be in the playoffs

But they're rewarded a # 1 seed when they were accused of, and admitted to, and had a suspension of their head coach served for... cheating. And insultingly egregious cheating at that.

"Hey congrats on blanataly breaking the rules and screwing over every team you played, here's the # 1 seed"

When they say it's not about money... it's always about the money
Wasn't the booger eater suspended twice this year?

That’s the trend in our country since 1970s. The top 1% get a bigger piece of each dollar produced by the economy every year - creating a class of super rich who have enough money to dominate the political system, cementing their advantage through changes to regulations, tax code, and laws.

Top 1% of US is $11 million net wealth

Top 0.1% of US is $25 million

His net worth is estimated to already be well over $35 million.

It was absurd when he came to college from the NFL and was given a comparable salary around $8 million/yr.

$125 million is an obscene amount of money to give to someone who is already under contract through 2026, working at his alma mater, plagued with unresolved scandals and has a 3-7 bowl record.

He doesn’t deserve as much as Saban.

Years ago I saw a piece on the PBS NewsHour called "Winner Takes All." I don't recall the details but the gist of the report was that we were moving into an era where the people at the top, the winners, get ever larger and more obscene amounts of money while everyone else plods along and fights over the scraps. We are well into this era--yet the winners and the people at the top are blissfully unaware and keep making it worse and worse--and we can see the negative effect it has on morale in our angry and resentful politics. Millions and increasingly tens of millions being given to the coaches of non-profit organizations as if they were for-profit is another step down.

Reactions: Big East Beast

It was absurd when he came to college from the NFL and was given a comparable salary around $8 million/yr.

$125 million is an obscene amount of money to give to someone who is already under contract through 2026, working at his alma mater, plagued with unresolved scandals and has a 3-7 bowl record.

Definitely doesn't deserve what Saban gets, but in the free market, God bless him if he can get it

Likewise, the players should be able to get whatever they can get - just like anyone else in society, maximize your revenue stream while you can

It def. mimics it, but the average employee doesn't have the power (or talent) these athletes do

Otherwise, you'd see employees essentially revolting and signing large figure side deals like these athletes are doing

I don’t think anyone is comparing the average employee to Jim Harbaugh.

His baseline of comparison should be running a $250m/yr non profit, that produces 15 fundraisers a year, not the NFL. A few million, sure. Endorsements? Ok. Free market all the way. But $125 million in salary is pure insanity.

You want NFL money, go live in that world and compete on that level.

This is so dumb and bad not only for football, but college athletics and higher ed more generally.

Reactions: brgRC90
I don’t think anyone is comparing the average employee to Jim Harbaugh.

His baseline of comparison should be running a $250m/yr non profit, that produces 15 fundraisers a year, not the NFL. A few million, sure. Endorsements? Ok. Free market all the way. But $125 million in salary is pure insanity.

You want NFL money, go live in that world and compete on that level.

This is so dumb and bad not only for football, but college athletics and higher ed more generally.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I think it's outrageous
But we all contribute to it in one way or another

Buying merch, watching on tv, purchasing tix to games, subscribing to Peacock, talking about it on message boards, etc.

It all feeds the beast

Reactions: ATIOH
Guy coaches 6 games, has the program in all sorts of NCAA messiness, more key players on both O & D are leaving rather than staying and no one in the NFL wants him.

Michigan is bidding only against themselves. Is this story planted by his agent?
The NCAA messiness will be resolved once they bring the hammer down on Directional Drillbit Tech.

I’m going to assume Michigan also requires “mandatory donations” to help fund the Athletic Department.

A department that is giving out $100m contracts.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I think it's outrageous
But we all contribute to it in one way or another

Buying merch, watching on tv, purchasing tix to games, subscribing to Peacock, talking about it on message boards, etc.

It all feeds the beast

I know we do. I love college sports and am not RU 1,000;

It’s about how sports/entertainment in general has gone off the deep end. It all (including cost of higher Ed) feels completely unsustainable.

I know we do. I love college sports and am not RU 1,000;

It’s about how sports/entertainment in general has gone off the deep end. It all (including cost of higher Ed) feels completely unsustainable.
I agree, eventually everything has to have a limit I assume but right now it doesn’t seem that way

Reactions: Big East Beast
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT