ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Playoff Expansion Update

I still can’t believe CBS was stupid enough to lose out on the SEC on CBS…a move they will regret big time very soon.
Well ESPN bid such a big number and CBS likely doesn't have the deep enough pockets to be willing. They didn't up their original deal either. They're just milking their steal for as long as they can and will move on. They can still get a cheaper deal from the B12/PAC12 or a piece of the B10 for a 2nd tier game a week. It won't be the same ratings wise for them but it'll serve its purpose I think and be cheaper on their wallet.

Well ESPN bid such a big number and CBS likely doesn't have the deep enough pockets to be willing. They didn't up their original deal either. They're just milking their steal for as long as they can and will move on. They can still get a cheaper deal from the B12/PAC12 or a piece of the B10 for a 2nd tier game a week. It won't be the same ratings wise for them but it'll serve its purpose I think and be cheaper on their wallet.
So a dumb move…CBS could have totally gotten into a bidding war with eSPIN if they wanted. This is a network with the rights to the NCAAT and NFL games…$$$ was not the issue. As I see it a “miscalculation on their part”. The A&M - Bama game had higher ratings than ANY MLB game so far included the alleged best rivalry in sports, Yanks-Sox. Ok that speaks to how far the boring game of baseball has fallen, but that’s a college game.

So a dumb move…CBS could have totally gotten into a bidding war with eSPIN if they wanted. This is a network with the rights to the NCAAT and NFL games…$$$ was not the issue. As I see it a “miscalculation on their part”. The A&M - Bama game had higher ratings than ANY MLB game so far included the alleged best rivalry in sports, Yanks-Sox. Ok that speaks to how far the boring game of baseball has fallen, but that’s a college game.
Yea and the NFL is expensive so how much is left over for other things throughout the year. They haven't even had the NCAA tourney in its entirety for some time. They had to split it with Turner. Do they even pay to have games sent to CBS Sports Network, no they go to TruTV.

Even Fox/ESPN split packages for the B12/PAC12/B10 and they are actually full bore on sports. Yes CBS is in sports and has the NFL and other things but I don't think they want to be all out in it for everything. They'll pick and choose their spots in sports and I think the same for NBC too for that matter. I think it has a different placement in their whole scheme of media than it does for Fox/Disney.

I could see a CBS or NBC come in for cheaper for 2nd tier B10 game or B12/PAC12 game or ACC game way down the line when it's available and then use those cost savings from lower tier packages on bidding for a piece the CFP playoffs. Fox/ESPN I see in one category in terms of sports as a whole and how far they are willing to go and CBS/NBC I see in another at least as of now.

Last edited:
Some news about possible spinoff of ESPN from Disney. They deny it....for now. That would be something. If they did wonder if some other media player would buy them or if not would they have as deep pockets without Disney behind them.

I felt badly for CBS. They BUILT the SEC to what it was with their national broadcasts.. quality productions with many cameras and HD while ESPN/ABC was/is still using 720p compressed video in many cases. CBS SEC games were a better product. I open ABC/ESPN SEC games suffer in ratings from their cheaping out on everything.

Maybe this alliance thing of non-SEC conferences should make a deal with CBS for top production values.. even 4K.. OOC games between these conferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
CFP managment committee meeting in Dallas today, hopefully we hear some news about expansion. Article in tweet is old one from early November.

Graphic isn't correct because WF/Pitt would take the place of BYU but some fun matchups based on yesterday's rankings.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Bunch of pointless games with mediocre teams. Hard to find 4 legit NC contenders in most years.
I love it and I'm good with it. If you play a game anything can happen. And it won't be a month to prepare either and more teams to prepare for so who knows what can happen because of that too.

If the same teams win so be it, then we're no worse of than we are now but now there's a chance for new faces to do something.

I love it and I'm good with it. If you play a game anything can happen. And it won't be a month to prepare either and more teams to prepare for so who knows what can happen because of that too.

If the same teams win so be it, then we're no worse of than we are now but now there's a chance for new faces to do something.
Is it appropriate to rig a system in the hope that the increased odds of random upsets “changes faces”?

Or is it appropriate that potential “new faces” perform better so that the truly successful teams are rewarded with the opportunity of being labeled MNC? That is happening so far this year with Michigan, Okie State, etc.

Reactions: mikebal9
IIRC way back when the NCAA basketball tournament was 8 teams, every time it expanded the same criticisms of the move then are reappearing in the talks to expand the CFP. so, to all of you who keeep yelling about it being watered down and having teams that don’t belong - how has the expansion of the NCAA basketball tourney done. Only just created one of the biggest sporting events in the country every year. Maybe the Super Bowl is bigger but nothing else is. This is going to happen. Yes, there will be ramifications in terms of other bowl games but this will happen and tv will love, and pay for it.

Is it appropriate to rig a system in the hope that the increased odds of random upsets “changes faces”?

Or is it appropriate that potential “new faces” perform better so that the truly successful teams are rewarded with the opportunity of being labeled MNC? That is happening so far this year with Michigan, Okie State, etc.
Yes because it’s extremely difficult for teams lower down the status pole to “perform better”…this is one of the few avenues to actually raise profile and get better.

There’s no mechanism like salary cap or draft to even things out.

IIRC way back when the NCAA basketball tournament was 8 teams, every time it expanded the same criticisms of the move then are reappearing in the talks to expand the CFP. so, to all of you who keeep yelling about it being watered down and having teams that don’t belong - how has the expansion of the NCAA basketball tourney done. Only just created one of the biggest sporting events in the country every year. Maybe the Super Bowl is bigger but nothing else is. This is going to happen. Yes, there will be ramifications in terms of other bowl games but this will happen and tv will love, and pay for it.
Except for the gambling standpoint the NCCA BB tourney sucks as there are two many teams that have no business being in it. Since going to 64 what is the highest seeded team to win it all? Nova at 8?? A million years ago. The tournament should be 32 Max.

Except for the gambling standpoint the NCCA BB tourney sucks as there are two many teams that have no business being in it. Since going to 64 what is the highest seeded team to win it all? Nova at 8?? A million years ago. The tournament should be 32 Max.
You may think it sucks but there are tens of millions of people who love it. It is worth a fortune. Gets huge tv ratings. And yes, you are right, in the end it is usually the top seeds that are there at the end but who cares. The people love it. And I disagre with you, it does not suck.

As Big10 fans, we should be alllllll for 12. Since the East often beats each other up, we usually have a good amount of teams in top 10, but have at times had issues with top 4. I mean if Michigan loses, we’re out of the playoff…

Just in that graphic above, 3 of our teams would make it this year (and that’s not including a potential Iowa upset). I’d take 2-3 teams making a 12 team playoff any day over 1 of ours ‘likely’ making the 4

Reactions: BeantownKnight
You may think it sucks but there are tens of millions of people who love it. It is worth a fortune. Gets huge tv ratings. And yes, you are right, in the end it is usually the top seeds that are there at the end but who cares. The people love it. And I disagre with you, it does not suck.
Also how does a Gonzaga get to be a Gonzaga of today? At one time an upstart right but making the tourney and getting exposure regularly has made them a pretty darn good program now.

Now that's a really good story but even ones that are lesser are helpful. Any added exposure and meaningful accomplishments like making the NCAA tourney or the playoffs helps teams down the status totem pole. There really isn't any other mechanism to even things out. No draft, no salary cap, nothing to compete with 10yr 100M dollar deals....so having the opportunity to make the playoffs is at least something for schools like us. While some may not like expansion, I think many are like myself and find it exciting and fun.

Reactions: Dpgru
People love it the first weekend. Then their pool is busted and don't give a crap

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yes because it’s extremely difficult for teams lower down the status pole to “perform better”…this is one of the few avenues to actually raise profile and get better.
I recommend paying attention to the many sports that barely care about results in the regular season. Don’t ruin cfb.
Also how does a Gonzaga get to be a Gonzaga of today?
Decades ago, PSU, Miami, FSU, etc. rose from various levels of also ran/unknown to MNC level in cfb. They did it by agreeing to multiple unfavorable scheduling series’, some outstanding coaching hires, and winning games.

More recently, KSU and VT used the easy scheduling method (along with fine coaching hires) to rise to contender status.

Utah went from a small conference team to a competitive P5 team (good coaches again).

It can be done, but isn’t easy.

I recommend paying attention to the many sports that barely care about results in the regular season. Don’t ruin cfb.

Decades ago, PSU, Miami, FSU, etc. rose from various levels of also ran/unknown to MNC level in cfb. They did it by agreeing to multiple unfavorable scheduling series’, some outstanding coaching hires, and winning games.

More recently, KSU and VT used the easy scheduling method (along with fine coaching hires) to rise to contender status.

Utah went from a small conference team to a competitive P5 team (good coaches again).

It can be done, but isn’t easy.
Yes I agree good coaches help but the days of a good coach staying at a small program for any long duration is rare with all the money being thrown around that lower status programs can’t match. OU and ND just lost their coaches, it’s difficult and rare for very good coaches to stay and in the context of this conversation a coach that’s good enough to get a lower status program into the top 4, not just good, would even be more rare. Lower status schools more likely have to be good at churning coaches and finding the next good one.

I like the fact that first round games are on campus. It will be great seeing an Oklahoma or Florida team trying to pass the ball in a snowstorm in Ohio or Michigan.
I've been hoping for that but don't count on it. Sounds like games can be moved to regional indoor locations for weather reasons. I think games like OSU/Michigan and PSU/MSU this weekend would be fun to see in the playoffs with western/southern teams if they happened but sounds like they want to avoid that.

Wait! I was told on this board it was a done deal! LOL. All that was needed was the presidents signatures, opps I guess he was wrong.
People that think this was going to be a slam dunk were fooled by the media reporting from a single source or two. The only guarantee is that it will change to 8 or 12 when the current deal expires. The more the talk about 12 the more issues without a consensus. Who gets in a 12 and where is the first round played seem to be the biggest issues

Wait! I was told on this board it was a done deal! LOL. All that was needed was the presidents signatures, opps I guess he was wrong.
People that think this was going to be a slam dunk were fooled by the media reporting from a single source or two. The only guarantee is that it will change to 8 or 12 when the current deal expires. The more the talk about 12 the more issues without a consensus. Who gets in a 12 and where is the first round played seem to be the biggest issues
I don't speak in absolutes because who knows. I always said it's going to expand never said how many teams, although I think it's a heavy lean towards 12, or when it would. It's still not out of the realm of 2024-2025. They're pushing up against it though. Giving up an estimated 450M....I guess stubbornness knows no bounds.

It's really semantics at this point. There's not much difference between 6 highest ranked conference champs (which I prefer but I'm okay with the other) and 5 auto P5 bids and the highest ranked G5.

More times than not those 2 scenarios line up to the same results. On a rare occasion a P5 could be left out and the G5 could get two. It must be 90-95% time that that wouldn't happen. Even for me who is a little more lax with qualifying than some of you guys here, I don't have a problem with that. I mean if a P5 can't be in the top 6 highest conference champs then you shouldn't be there. You've got one mulligan but you're asking for 2 on the off chance a 2nd G5 could finish in front of you. It's the B10 (for some crazy reason) and the ACC that are against the 6 highest conferences. When the hell has a B10 champ ever fallen behind a G5 let alone 2 G5 champs. I don't know what Warren is thinking here.

I don't speak in absolutes because who knows. I always said it's going to expand never said how many teams, although I think it's a heavy lean towards 12, or when it would. It's still not out of the realm of 2024-2025. They're pushing up against it though. Giving up an estimated 450M....I guess stubbornness knows no bounds.

It's really semantics at this point. There's not much difference between 6 highest ranked conference champs (which I prefer but I'm okay with the other) and 5 auto P5 bids and the highest ranked G5.

More times than not those 2 scenarios line up to the same results. On a rare occasion a P5 could be left out and the G5 could get two. It must be 90-95% time that that wouldn't happen. Even for me who is a little more lax with qualifying than some of you guys here, I don't have a problem with that. I mean if a P5 can't be in the top 6 highest conference champs then you shouldn't be there. You've got one mulligan but you're asking for 2 on the off chance a 2nd G5 could finish in front of you. It's the B10 (for some crazy reason) and the ACC that are against the 6 highest conferences. When the hell has a B10 champ ever fallen behind a G5 let alone 2 G5 champs. I don't know what Warren is thinking here.
An agreement on 8 will be easier to approve right now. Every P5 conference gets a team plus at least one non P5 the rest at large. 12 is much harder and could destroy the conference championships. There seems to be a lot of discussion and debate about where 1st round games would be played. Also is there a limit on how many from one conference.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I like the idea of 8 (not 12). And, in that, the P5 conference champions are automatic qualifiers. That takes 5 of the 8 spots right there. From there, perhaps the 3 highest-ranked non-conference champion teams (from either P5 or G5) could get in based on the selection committees rankings. Meaning, even if Cincy didn't wind up at #4 this year, they would still get in at #5 or #6. But, this would also allow that ACC $hit$how - with a #17 and #18 ranked Pitt and Wake conference champ - in, even though neither of them are anywhere near the top 8 or 12 in the country. But, hey - we see how auto-qualifiers work in the basketball tournament.

Also - to the comment above about how the basketball tournament is mostly a snooze because, by and large, most of the teams who wind up winning are in the top #4 (or 8) anyway, do remember that other than the conference tournaments, basketball doesn't have bowl games. So, making the tournament IS their post-season and it's a very big deal for teams to make it. Unlike football where, if you go .500, you get to play a relatively meaningless game against some middling ACC or MAC team.

An agreement on 8 will be easier to approve right now. Every P5 conference gets a team plus at least one non P5 the rest at large. 12 is much harder and could destroy the conference championships. There seems to be a lot of discussion and debate about where 1st round games would be played. Also is there a limit on how many from one conference.
I get the impression the 1st round game issue is mostly decided..on campus or regional indoor stadium for weather reasons. I so wish the weather reasons didn't enter the equation. I'd love to see an OSU/Michigan...MSU/PSU this past weekend game type atmosphere in a playoff with western/southern teams. As a 1 time Raider fan I remember the 51-3 drubbing to the Bills in the AFC champ game lol.

I even get the feel the 8 vs 12 is mostly decided. 8 is there on the table so to speak but I don't think realistically has nearly enough support to pass....12 you're right there so close from the finish line with just a little to go and people are being stubborn. Like I said 5+1 and 6 highest are basically in a hair of each other in terms of how it works in practice....450M doesn't seem to provide enough incentive lol. They will just keep kicking the can until there's no more time left but who knows when that actual drop dead date is for 2024-2025. Some were saying December but they've stepped back from that. You got to figure it has to be Jan/Feb at the latest. Otherwise we stay with 4 until the end of the contract.

I get the impression the 1st round game issue is mostly decided..on campus or regional indoor stadium for weather reasons. I so wish the weather reasons didn't enter the equation. I'd love to see an OSU/Michigan...MSU/PSU this past weekend game type atmosphere in a playoff with western/southern teams. As a 1 time Raider fan I remember the 51-3 drubbing to the Bills in the AFC champ game lol.

I even get the feel the 8 vs 12 is mostly decided. 8 is there on the table so to speak but I don't think realistically has nearly enough support to pass....12 you're right there so close from the finish line with just a little to go and people are being stubborn. Like I said 5+1 and 6 highest are basically in a hair of each other in terms of how it works in practice....450M doesn't seem to provide enough incentive lol. They will just keep kicking the can until there's no more time left but who knows when that actual drop dead date is for 2024-2025. Some were saying December but they've stepped back from that. You got to figure it has to be Jan/Feb at the latest. Otherwise we stay with 4 until the end of the contract.
The indoor outdoor thing isn't the issue that is causing problems. It is who is getting the home game. These are going to be the backend games. For the most part there isn't much difference between these teams. SEC is pushing hard for it as they expect to be the host team alot. Its very hard to figure out who gets a home game that is fair. Does eveyone trust the the selection committee. Big concern this is making Conference Championship less valuable from both an attendance and TV Standpoint. 8 teams make it easy

Last edited:
Perhaps only give an auto bid to any P5 conference champ inside the top 8 or 12. If you're outside that, you have no argument anyway.

Autobids make little sense.
6 makes probably the least amount of sense.

If you want to say the P5 deserve an autobid because of their schedules - okay.
But you can't put restrictions on it then.
Then it's not an auto-bid.

You can't give G5 only 1 autobid.
What if there are 2 undefeated teams (very nearly happened this year with UTSA).
"You HAVE to include an undefeated Cincy. Their schedule doesn't matter. Have to make the system fair for all teams."
But why does that only apply to 1 G5 team? Why wasn't UTSA #4 until this past week?
If there are 2 or 3 undefeated G5 teams - why would only 1 get an auto-bid?

And putting a ranking restriction on G5 conference champ similar to P5 champ - that's not an auto-bid then.

If you want to make any autobids, the rules should be very clear:
P5 champion - regardless of ranking (ACC Rule)
Undefeated season - regardless of ranking (Cincy/UTSA Rule)

Just make it simple. Top 4/8/12 teams make it (regardless of conference - P5 or G5).

The indoor outdoor thing isn't the issue that is causing problems. It is who is getting the home game. These are going to be the backend games. For the most part there isn't much difference between these teams. SEC is pushing hard for it as they expect to be the host team alot. Its very hard to figure out who gets a home game that is fair. Does eveyone trust the the selection committee. Big concern this is making Conference Championship less valuable from both an attendance and TV Standpoint. 8 teams make it easy
I hadn’t read about that. SEC doesn’t want to abide by the rankings that determine the seeds? If it’s close it’s close, deal with it if you have to go on the road because you’re a lower seed by the rankings. CFP committee is diverse for a reason, to provide some fairness and unbiased rankings to the best of their ability.

Got a link for that by any chance?

Article is same as I posted above but just some new comments from Warren in the tweet. I don’t know why he’s so staunchly for it. The B10 isn’t affected it’s the PAC12/ACC/B12 that might be….in that order. 6 spots for the P5 is plenty and should get all the P5 in almost every year and for sure the B10 every year just like the SEC. 6 highest is essentially the same as 5+1 probably close to 95% of the time give or take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT