ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mike Rice

Good for Mike. I always loved Rice and he’s been coaching a very successful aau program for a while now down the shore.

I am happy for Mike and hope he can help lead my Alma mater to much success. For many years Linden has been one of the top ten teams in the state. They have always been known for basketball. Mike is good coach and hopefully he can keep his cool. I am glad he is getting another chance.

I am happy for Mike and hope he can help lead my Alma mater to much success. For many years Linden has been one of the top ten teams in the state. They have always been known for basketball. Mike is good coach and hopefully he can keep his cool. I am glad he is getting another chance.
As a Linden HS grad I hope he can win one for my school.

Reactions: SeanieWard
Mike had spent time at The Patrick school, formerly St. Patrick’s. This is just another step in his reform/climb up.

Great writeup by Jerry Carino. Mike paid the price for his misdeeds. Did not realize he had a shot as an assistant at St Johns. His son Mike III is in the coaching ranks.

Also had not realized he lives in Rumson. Figured it out, he was right down the street from us when we lived there. About 10 years ago, I literally almost ran into him on the trails in Hartshorne Woods while riding my mountain bike- it was a very brief encounter--I was shocked it was him. Very briefly asked him- "Are you Mike Rice?" He said yes, and I wished him luck.

Wonder if he’s still gonna be running team rio for hoop group?

I think he was doing pretty well making a decent sized bank for them so would be surprised if he gave that up for a public school job.

Does Linden take out-of-towners like Camden and the far-reaching parochials? That’s what it takes to succeed in NJ high school hoops.

Reactions: Kbee3
The whole fiasco was phony outrage
Yup. Sad that we fell into the PC trap even back then. He should never have been fired. I know the kid who he threw the ball at and he loved him as a coach and a person. Regardless, after some of his shenanigans in the stands when his kid was playing, I still think he’s a screwball.

Last edited:
How many years ago was he spotted making a fool of himself at a HS game from the stands?
Might be a case of the ref guessing and MR wasa guess
in article ( link below)
>Matthew Stanmyre of NJ Advance Media has the story
Stanmyre talked to two parents who were there. Both said Rice was unfairly singled out:
“He did not deserve to be thrown out,” said Mike Frauenheim, a former high school coach who has two sons on the Point Beach team. “It could have been 20 people who screamed out; Mike didn’t say a word. I was sitting two rows behind him.”<

I went to Jeff when Linden was a big rivalry (after St. Mary’s). I remember Ted Zawacki and George Roper. I believe Zawacki went to Wake Forest.

At least you're consistent in your support of abusive, homophobic, misogynist tyrants. Guy embarrassed RU hoops, sports, in general, and the entire university.
Do you have a basis for your first statement? And as a person who has several gay and trans family members and close friends, I think your statementt is a little over the top. Do you believe people can learn from mistakes and change their behavior and views? Sure, what Mike Rice diid and said at the time is reprehensible. But to use the present tense to describe him now may not be accurate.

Barchi was a bigger embarrassment to the University in the way he handled.tue situation and threw Tim under the bus.

The whole fiasco was phony outrage
Rutgers General Counsel at the time saw the video of Rice throwing basketballs at player’s heads and agreed with you and said that they didn’t have grounds to fire him. The Athletic Director was ultimately fired for following this moronic advice along with the General Counsel who gave the advice. If I remember correctly there were multiple lawsuits, Rutgers was mocked by the national media and SNL had a fairly funny skit mocking Rutgers. At least I am not aware of any criminal assault charges against Mike Rice. I honestly don’t know how anyone who watched that video could have thought they didn’t have grounds to fire him.

I don’t know Mike Rice. He seemed to have very serious anger management issues. Hopefully he has gotten them under control and has had no similar issues since because what he did was seriously wrong and players at any level should not face such abusive treatment.

Do you have a basis for your first statement? And as a person who has several gay and trans family members and close friends, I think your statementt is a little over the top. Do you believe people can learn from mistakes and change their behavior and views? Sure, what Mike Rice diid and said at the time is reprehensible. But to use the present tense to describe him now may not be accurate.

Barchi was a bigger embarrassment to the University in the way he handled.tue situation and threw Tim under the bus.
When did I say anything about Rice in the present tense? bac was referencing the Rice fiasco being phony outrage and that occurred years ago and I even said he embarrassed (past tense) RU. People can certainly learn from their mistakes, but I have zero idea if Rice did or didn't, although he was known to be abusive in earlier coaching stops. My reference to being consistent in supporting tyrants was a thinly veiled reference to bac's support of a much more famous tyrant today - maybe it was too thinly veiled, lol. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Barchi and Tim both embarrassed RU by not firing Rice when they received the video, which was within their power to do (since he was fired after the video finally surfaced). I wasn't in the room when those discussions occurred, but it's naive to think that Barchi actually didn't watch the video - and if he actually didn't, then Tim was an even bigger idiot for not having his boss watch the video (going to your boss with key evidence is simply what you do when you're a manager and embarrassing info like that comes into your possession).

He’s apparently not a lone wolf…

And yet one is still employed @RU.🤷‍♂️
You might want to actually watch the Cooper video, linked in the article you linked, because 101.5's "headline" in that article is inaccurate and totally out of context. She and the host were talking about what should the solution be to addressing white supremacy and her full answer was, "The thing I want to say to you is we got to take these mother******s out,” though she quickly added, "I don't believe in a project of violence...I really don't, because I think our souls suffer from that."

And if you don't think that black people, who have suffered more than a little bit over centuries at the hands of a white supremacist society - and what else can you say our society was when the white power structure enslaved people and destroyed the indigenous populations in this country and treated any non-white people as inferior (and some on the far right still believe these things) - don't occasionally think about taking current white supremacist mfers out and aren't justified in thinking that, then I don't know what to tell you.

And while Cooper is a bit heavy handed in her approach, IMO, I can understand why and no, I don't think she should be fired from RU. I also don't think that CRT is the problem that some think it is. I have zero issue with teaching all kids about our shared history, warts and all and that systemic racism is still present (despite the great progress made in our society, which CRT does not overlook) and at it's heart that's all it really is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

Yes, Mike Rice was over-the-top aggressive and abusive towards the players. Yet, I never viewed his conduct as so terrible as to ruin his career. Didn't the video of the incident survice as part of the Eric Murdock's extortion, err, I mean claim against RU? i agree with Bac that the incident was overblown.

You might want to actually watch the Cooper video, linked in the article you linked, because 101.5's "headline" in that article is inaccurate and totally out of context. She and the host were talking about what should the solution be to addressing white supremacy and her full answer was, "The thing I want to say to you is we got to take these mother******s out,” though she quickly added, "I don't believe in a project of violence...I really don't, because I think our souls suffer from that."

And if you don't think that black people, who have suffered more than a little bit over centuries at the hands of a white supremacist society - and what else can you say our society was when the white power structure enslaved people and destroyed the indigenous populations in this country and treated any non-white people as inferior (and some on the far right still believe these things) - don't occasionally think about taking current white supremacist mfers out and aren't justified in thinking that, then I don't know what to tell you.

And while Cooper is a bit heavy handed in her approach, IMO, I can understand why and no, I don't think she should be fired from RU. I also don't think that CRT is the problem that some think it is. I have zero issue with teaching all kids about our shared history, warts and all and that systemic racism is still present (despite the great progress made in our society, which CRT does not overlook) and at it's heart that's all it really is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory
I, and I assume most of us too, learned all those things in grammar and high school:

- slavery
- Underground Railroad
- Civil War
- Reconstruction
- The Klan
- the Great Migration
- integration (military and sports
- Civil Rights movement
- Black Power and Pride

I also learned about all of those involved in the bullets points above (Crispus Atticks, Harriet Tubman, Sojuner Truth, Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, Revels and Bruce, Booker T Washington, the Jazz legends, Jackie Robinson, MLK, Malcom X, Shirley Chisholm, etc.), the good guys and the bad guys too.

I was already out of school when rap and hip hop were being discussed. Which like Jazz is something that should be covered.

What I didn’t learn is that somehow it’s all my fault, the bad.

Last edited:
You brought him up first. 🤷‍♂️
I didn't bring up CRT, you did. Check the videotape. In a normal world, it wouldn't matter as we could discuss difficult/controversial topics like adults, even if we disagreed. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen here or most places, so the mods clamp down on it to keep threads from going bananas.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I didn't bring up CRT, you did. Check the videotape. In a normal world, it wouldn't matter as we could discuss difficult/controversial topics like adults, even if we disagreed. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen here or most places, so the mods clamp down on it to keep threads from going bananas.
But you brought up the other guy, veiled or not. 🙂

And not excusing either but P5 Athletics and Academia at this level aren’t real world either. Considering how “both sides” act on occasion.

Because if they were we would know (maybe we do now with social media access) about a lot more Mike Rice’s and Prof Cooper’s a long time ago.

I, and I assume most of us too, learned all those things in grammar and high school:

- slavery
- Underground Railroad
- Civil War
- Reconstruction
- The Klan
- the Great Migration
- integration (military and sports
- Civil Rights movement
- Black Power and Pride

I also learned about all of those involved in the bullets points above (Crispus Atticks, Harriet Tubman, Sojuner Truth, Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, Revels and Bruce, Booker T Washington, the Jazz legends, Jackie Robinson, MLK, Malcom X, Shirley Chisholm, etc.), the good guys and the bad guys too.

I was already out of school when rap and hip hop were being discussed. Which like Jazz is something that should be covered.

What I didn’t learn is that somehow it’s all my fault, the bad.
now some want the good sides of slavery taught

When did I say anything about Rice in the present tense? bac was referencing the Rice fiasco being phony outrage and that occurred years ago and I even said he embarrassed (past tense) RU. People can certainly learn from their mistakes, but I have zero idea if Rice did or didn't, although he was known to be abusive in earlier coaching stops. My reference to being consistent in supporting tyrants was a thinly veiled reference to bac's support of a much more famous tyrant today - maybe it was too thinly veiled, lol. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Barchi and Tim both embarrassed RU by not firing Rice when they received the video, which was within their power to do (since he was fired after the video finally surfaced). I wasn't in the room when those discussions occurred, but it's naive to think that Barchi actually didn't watch the video - and if he actually didn't, then Tim was an even bigger idiot for not having his boss watch the video (going to your boss with key evidence is simply what you do when you're a manager and embarrassing info like that comes into your possession).
Well, maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe if you said his behavior at the time was misogynistic and homophobic. But a tyrant, IDK. Even the misogynistic and homophobic part- remember, these incidents occurred 12 years ago. It was not uncommon for men's coaches and players to sling slurs at each other that are off limits today. Standards have changed since 2012.

And @bac2therac can speak for himself, but a quick review of the situation by the Rutgers attorneys and higher ups was that Rice did not create "a hostile work environment for his assistants." It was not until the videos surfaced in the national media (ESPN) that everyone near the top bucked up and decided they had to fire Rice. This by no means condones what he said or did, but IMO, what he did/said was not as unacceptable as it is in today's cancel culture. Times change and people change. And as the FIJI poster said, redemption is a good thing when people learn from their mistakes. Peace.

Reactions: RU-AGK
But you brought up the other guy, veiled or not. 🙂

And not excusing either but P5 Athletics and Academia at this level aren’t real world either. Considering how “both sides” act on occasion.

Because if they were we would know (maybe we do now with social media access) about a lot more Mike Rice’s and Prof Cooper’s a long time ago.
social media and people have a tendency to only put in the parts that agree with their agenda and leave the rest out in parts of articles, audios and videos shared
Sometimes making things look different than they really are.
The Rice video was edited so out of all practices only the bad was shown and that made people believe it was happening at every practice.
Because of the video Rice was dumped and Rutgers can't be blamed for that.
But Rice wasn't as bad an ogre as that video made him out to be and he deserves a second chance if his actions since then has proven him to be a better person than his past conduct made him out to be

social media and people have a tendency to only put in the parts that agree with their agenda and leave the rest out in parts of articles, audios and videos shared
Sometimes making things look different than they really are.
The Rice video was edited so out of all practices only the bad was shown and that made people believe it was happening at every practice.
Because of the video Rice was dumped and Rutgers can't be blamed for that.
But Rice wasn't as bad an ogre as that video made him out to be and he deserves a second chance if his actions since then has proven him to be a better person than his past conduct made him out to be
I rewatched the video and have to say that it was actually worse than I remembered. I don’t see how him doing it over multiple practices makes it any better. Arguably it makes it worse, because it suggests that abusive behavior was his norm. Moreover, there
were multiple things that he did on that video that by themselves should have gotten him fired.

This isn’t something that is new with social media. Back in 1978 coach Woody Hayes punched a player on the sidelines on national tv. He was almost immediately fired.

Yes, Mike Rice was over-the-top aggressive and abusive towards the players. Yet, I never viewed his conduct as so terrible as to ruin his career. Didn't the video of the incident survice as part of the Eric Murdock's extortion, err, I mean claim against RU? i agree with Bac that the incident was overblown.
This is also why Jay Bilas should be shunned. That disengenous a-hole ran cover for his buddy Murdock's extortion using the full weight of ESPN.

This isn’t something that is new with social media. Back in 1978 coach Woody Hayes punched a player on the sidelines on national tv. He was almost immediately fired.
Rice didn't punch anyone. He yelled at them, and used naughty language, and threw basketballs at their legs (as part of drill designed to get a player to focus with chaos going on around them). There is nothing that takes place in that video that wasn't, at the time, taking place daily at 50% of high school and college football practices across the country.

ESPN needed a story, manufactured one, and that's all that anyone needs to know.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Rice didn't punch anyone. He yelled at them, and used naughty language, and threw basketballs at their legs (as part of drill designed to get a player to focus with chaos going on around them).
Rewatch the video. He threw a basketball at a player’s head and kicked another player. Not sure why you don’t see that as a problem. I must say if I ever had to defend someone on an assault charge, I would want you on the jury.

Reactions: RAC93 and RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT