ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nebraska Spring Game

Good for Univ. of Nebraska, but doesn't say much for the state when there really is nothing better to do than have half the people in Nebraska show up for the spring game. And if you look at the top 10 above that Scarlet posted only Columbus and Tallahassee are somewhat urban. Not much to do in most of those places. Strictly college towns. So let's not compare to RU or even MD which had less fans show up than us. Curious how many showed up for BC's game as a comparison.

What a pathetic thread.
There’s 2 million people in Nebraska, they have great tradition and loyal fans, along with a new coach that has them super excited.

You all sound like spoiled children, “I’m so bored there’s nothing to do, can you arrange a play date for me”

Good for Univ. of Nebraska, but doesn't say much for the state when there really is nothing better to do than have half the people in Nebraska show up for the spring game. And if you look at the top 10 above that Scarlet posted only Columbus and Tallahassee are somewhat urban. Not much to do in most of those places. Strictly college towns. So let's not compare to RU or even MD which had less fans show up than us. Curious how many showed up for BC's game as a comparison.

How do most people (not all !) spend their free time these days? playing video games, watching Netflix, watching sports and other TV, going to the movies, drinking, etc. Almost all of those things can be done just as easily in Nebraska as in NJ or anywhere else.

I don't know if I'd call it impressive. Why would 80,000 people pay to show up to what is really just a glorified practice? Is there some other attraction or incentive at Nebraska to attract fans, other than to sit in a stadium to cheer the offense vs defense?

I wonder about this too. I’ve never been to a Spring game and never intend to. I think in Nebraska and other places where attendance is so high, it must be a huge party, like The Hunt in NJ, where the game itself is an excuse, or perhaps it is similar to a reunion weekend.

I wonder about this too. I’ve never been to a Spring game and never intend to. I think in Nebraska and other places where attendance is so high, it must be a huge party, like The Hunt in NJ, where the game itself is an excuse, or perhaps it is similar to a reunion weekend.
They party and have fun.
The notion there’s nothing to do in Nebraska could be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.
My mom grew up on a farm outside of St Louis in the Missouri countryside, going back to the farm every summer for two weeks with all my cousins was by far the most fun we had all year...we had streams, lakes, a barn, horses, cows, pigs, trees, endless wiffleball, tag and manhunt...we were so bored

They party and have fun.
The notion there’s nothing to do in Nebraska could be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.
My mom grew up on a farm outside of St Louis in the Missouri countryside, going back to the farm every summer for two weeks with all my cousins was by far the most fun we had all year...we had streams, lakes, a barn, horses, cows, pigs, trees, endless wiffleball, tag and manhunt...we were so bored
It's not so much there's nothing to do. Of course there is. It's live sports viewing options that are very limited to almost nonexistence beyond Nebraska sports. They have one Triple A baseball team and that's it. So if you have a son or daughter and want them to experience a live sports event in a big environment it's Nebraska or nothing. Imagine this area if Rutgers was the only game in town.

P.S. I have barns, horses, cows, pigs, chickens and trees. They're a lot of work but also a lot of fun for the kids.

Reactions: CrazyfoRU
I don't know if I'd call it impressive. Why would 80,000 people pay to show up to what is really just a glorified practice? Is there some other attraction or incentive at Nebraska to attract fans, other than to sit in a stadium to cheer the offense vs defense?

Forgive me, but that's sour grapes. I'm sure you would be thrilled if we got a similar attendance; it would show how much fan support we have.

Last edited:
Forgive me, but that's sour grapes. I'm sure you would be thrilled if we got a similar attendance; it would show how much fans support we have.
In a way yes it would be awesome. But to the wallet it would become quite draining. People don't realize how cheap our prices are.(not saying you) Talk to some of the opposing fans bases, I have, on away games and the dipsh*t next to me sells his tickets to opposing fans. We have some really cheap prices.

There's a lot of ignorance in this thread.

My brother is a pastor out in North Lincoln. Also, we were raised in the Midwest. So we have an understanding of the loyalty and passion that Midwesterners show to their state schools. Here in Jersey, unless you've been exposed to it, it is hard to understand.

In Nebraska, double down on that with the fact that the state has nothing else in terms of top level sports teams to cheer for. The state is surrounded by Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado & Kansas - it may not be in the middle of nowhere, but it's damn close. For gamedays, people fly in from Western Nebraska and stay the weekend - it's a huge economic boost for Lincoln. And when Nebraska's doing well, you have to plan way in advance or you'll get shut out.

My brother told me this past season he knew several people who owned or managed hotels in the area, and they were running a high vacancy rate for gameday weekends. And that's unheard of. So with a new savior in town, who's a home-grown product to boot, there's absolute no surprise that they sold out their Spring Game.

Reactions: jmc11201
A simple life ain t all that bad when you' re a millionaire corn farmer with 1000' s of acres. Better than livin in Jersey an traipsing up the Parkway or under the Hudson every day.

Forgive me, but that's sour grapes. I'm sure you would be thrilled if we got a similar attendance; it would show how much fan support we have.

I wouldn't be thrilled. I'd be befuddled.

The only reason I go to the Spring Game is for the event at the Audi Club. Most years I watch one quarter of the game at most. I really don't get the appeal of watching a glorified practice. Other than for a small percentage of fans who have some coaching acumen, the Spring Game is pretty boring. I don't think that is different in Nebraska. So if 80,000 people are showing up to a spring practice in Nebraska, there is truly nothing more interesting going on, or they are there for a different reason than to actually watch the practice.

I think @ElmiraExpress made a good comparison to the Hunt steeplechase race in Far Hills. The Hunt gets attendance of approximately 80,000, but that is hardly indicative of the popularity of steeplechase racing in NJ. Less than 10% of those attending the Hunt probably care about the race. Most people show up to the Hunt because it has evolved into a huge social event, and the race itself is pretty much incidental.

The only reason I go to the Spring Game is for the event at the Audi Club. Most years I watch one quarter of the game at most. I really don't get the appeal of watching a glorified practice. Other than for a small percentage of fans who have some coaching acumen, the Spring Game is pretty boring. I don't think that is different in Nebraska. So if 80,000 people are showing up to a spring practice in Nebraska, there is truly nothing more interesting going on, or they are there for a different reason than to actually watch the practice.

I think @ElmiraExpress made a good comparison to the Hunt steeplechase race in Far Hills. The Hunt gets attendance of approximately 80,000, but that is hardly indicative of the popularity of steeplechase racing in NJ. Less than 10% of those attending the Hunt probably care about the race. Most people show up to the Hunt because it has evolved into a huge social event, and the race itself is pretty much incidental.

Maybe if RU advertised the Spring Game as follows:
"Come to the Hunt," 80,000 people would show up?

Nebraska has one of the very best if not the best fanbase in all of sports.

Also... lots of corn.. and grass and sky... and this sign...

NewMembers-Featured.png

More sour grapes. Do you have any evidence for saying that Nebraska fans "are there for a different reason than to actually watch the practice?"

It's called supporting the team. Something RU could use more of from their fans.

More sour grapes. Do you have any evidence for saying that Nebraska fans "are there for a different reason than to actually watch the practice?"
None at all.

But it isn't "sour grapes". That implies that I wish Rutgers got more people to show up to the spring game. I don't wish that at all. Maybe it is false projection of my opinion that the spring game is a meaningless, boring, glorified practice. I wouldn't go, except for the perks that have nothing to do with the game itself, and therefore I don't understand why most other people would go.

None at all.

But it isn't "sour grapes". That implies that I wish Rutgers got more people to show up to the spring game. I don't wish that at all. Maybe it is false projection of my opinion that the spring game is a meaningless, boring, glorified practice. I wouldn't go, except for the perks that have nothing to do with the game itself, and therefore I don't understand why most other people would go.

Other people obviously don't find it "a meaningless, boring, glorified practice." Some find it a way to support the team --nothing wrong with that. Others find it a way to get a look at the players, e.g. which of our QBs looks best. Because practices are generally not open, it's about the only chance in the spring for fans to assess our players --nothing wrong with that, either. Of course it's not a perfect chance to assess our players, but it's something. I think it's great that people show up.

None at all.

This post should be saved, for all time.

Whenever anyone puzzles over lax fan support, pull it out and re-post it.

Whenever anyone waxes melancholy over recruits packing up and heading out of town, recite the words.

What this post does, more succinctly than any I've ever seen, is describe the "what's in it for me" attitude that is pervasive in New Jersey and is at the root of the apathy that orbits this program.

A few reasons to attend a spring game:
- get some treatment for your football withdrawal
- tailgate
- spend some time on campus
- connect with old friends, other alumni
- show support for the program
- enjoy the nice weather (assuming it is, in fact, nice)
- bring young kids you wouldn't want at a regular season game

The spring game itself isn't very important; it's just one of 15 practices over that part of the college football calendar. But the day surrounding the spring game can make a real impact on a program (recruiting, connection with fans/alumni, etc.).

Whenever anyone waxes melancholy over recruits packing up and heading out of town, recite the words.

What this post does, more succinctly than any I've ever seen, is describe the "what's in it for me" attitude that is pervasive in New Jersey and is at the root of the apathy that orbits this program.
Of course it is "what's in it for me". Why else would anyone go (unless they have a personal connection to one of the players or coaches)? Isn't that why we all go to any football game. I go for the entertainment and excitement value that I get out of it. Same thing when I go to a restaurant; I go for the food, service, and atmosphere. Or when I buy a car from a dealer; I get a car.

There are some things I do out of altruism or concern for other people. That's why I help family and friends, or make charitable donations. My charitable donation to Rutgers is done out of altruism (or at least the amount beyond the required seat donation and what is needed to get decent parking for football). But attending a glorified practice, titularly called a "game", doesn't fall into that category.

Tennessee's new coach called out the fans "participation" in the their spring game.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tennessee-volunteers-disappointed-spring-game:

And while he said the Vol Walk prior to the game was "spectacular," he wondered aloud why there weren't more people in Neyland Stadium than the announced crowd of 65,000, which was a generous estimate.

"I don't know how many fans we had. What was it? Anybody know the number?" Pruitt asked.

When told it was 65,000, he said, "To me, it's kind of like our football team for the fans. The ones who were here, I'm proud they were here. They're fired up. They're ready to get going. Then there were some people who weren't here that had legitimate reasons. They couldn't be here. And then there were some people that (weren't) here ... why (weren't) they here?

"It's kind of like our football team. I think we all need to look in the mirror and see who we want to be
."

Who do Rutgers fans want to be?

Oh, BTW:
The Orange team (consisting of the first-team offense and second-team defense) defeated the White team (consisting of the first-team defense and second-team offense) 34-7 with quarterback Jarrett Guarantano passing for 226 yards and two touchdowns. Guarantano was named the MVP of the game by the media, but Pruitt made it clear that the Vols' quarterback situation is a long way from being settled, especially with Stanford transfer Keller Chryst arriving this summer.

Also not much population. For every claim of nothing to do you fail to factor in the lack of population.
Well that just makes NJ’s 10 Million people and 2000 fans who should for our spring game just looks spectacular

You guys act like people outside the coasts sit on their front porch whittling away on a stick waiting for football. Pretty narrow view. I'm pretty sure these folks have just as interesting and fulfilling lives as people here.
You're kidding right?

Reactions: OriginalKnight
I would rather live in a crack den in Newark than Nebraska. At least it would be entertaining at times.

Reactions: MozRU
And you call yourself a Jersey Shore guy?

4a29df53ef9c3c02a278f8886c6728c6--so-funny-funny-pics.jpg
Believe me, it's even worse. Most times I have strap marks from my overalls working on the farm. Then from masonry working outside all day wearing shorts and boots my calf's and shins are the only thing tan. My all over bronze God days are well behind me since I moved out of Belmar and to Howlabama.[laughing]

Reactions: knightfan7
Sorry but if you have to brag about sex on this board you sound pretty pathetic and / or you are lying. One or the other but likely both.

LOL at the boobs in this thread making fun of Nebraska fans or the state as a whole.

We're damn lucky to be in the BIG10 with schools such as Nebraska.

While Nebraska wasn't an original member, their fan base and gameday atmosphere is one of the best I've experienced.

We could easily be playing the likes of UConn, Temple or Tulane every year.

Grow up.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT