ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need A Little Help w/Running Sneakers

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Okay I don't think I've ever done one of these threads here, and no I'm going to regret it at some point, but I figure I'll get better responses here than trying to figure it out myself doing the research. My needs:

- on the cheaper side

- good support, however, they don't have to weigh less than a feather. I'm looking to maybe do a 5K or two this summer. That's about it, to be honest, I literally hate to run but just have to start getting myself into better shape again.

- light running on sidewalks/streets (not doing any "tough mudder" stuff so won't be running trails or anything like that)

Thanks!

I can recommend a few shoes but I would be doing youa disservice. While probably annoying the best option is to go to a running store and have them assess your feet. They will recommend 2-3 shoes that are designed for the contours of your foot and/or your step. You could then buy them at the store for a small markup or tell them you'll think about it and go home and buy them online (running warehouse, etc) for $15-40 cheaper. Wearing the right running shoes for you are critical -- without them can lead to foot, knee and even back pain.

I can recommend a few shoes but I would be doing youa disservice. While probably annoying the best option is to go to a running store and have them assess your feet. They will recommend 2-3 shoes that are designed for the contours of your foot and/or your step. You could then buy them at the store for a small markup or tell them you'll think about it and go home and buy them online (running warehouse, etc) for $15-40 cheaper. Wearing the right running shoes for you are critical -- without them can lead to foot, knee and even back pain.

Good advice. That was the plan, to buy online cheaper, but thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah do what bitnez said - except for the being a total douche and buying them online after wasting the store's time part.

Not sure if the hot trend right now is no cushion whatsoever, massive marshmallow cushions or back to something in between.

Reactions: lighty
Alright, disclaimer #1: I work for Adidas and I'm not a runner, so that's what I have experience with.

First of all, think about where you put pressure on your feet. You can go to a Dr. Scholls station or do what I do, which is just look at your shoes and pay attention when you're walking. Do you have a lot of wear on the heel or the toe? You can save money by buying a shoe in the place where you need padding.

Think about how much padding you need/want. Support and padding are two very different things. More padding does not necessarily mean more support, and vice versa.

http://www.adidas.com/us/pureboost-2-m/S81818.html These have tons of padding, barely any support.

Speaking from experience, I love the Boost that Adidas makes. I mostly wear loafers and columbia hiking shoes, but Boost really does feel good, and it'll last a lot longer than air maxes or nike lunars.

http://www.adidas.com/us/pure-boost-zg-shoes/AQ6766.html

These are my current shoes.

Join the MVP membership at www.Roadrunnersports.com . You will need 2 pairs of shoes of you plan to run every day. It takes 48hrs for the soles to re expand from the pounding, so alternate shoes. The shoes will last 6mo before you'll need to order again. The MVP rate is a good deal. You can order online but do go out to their store in Paramus for a stride evaluation. ASICS and Mizuno offer wide sizes. Good luck.

I'm talking about every-other-day running guys nothing crazy. Again, if I can run a 5K comfortably (see: can walk into a bar immediately after for some beers) in 6-8 weeks, I'll be very happy.

Thanks guys!

I'd recommend going to a running store to have your stride analyzed, but Brooks has a nice little guide if you want to run through it in the mean time. Definitely wouldn't hurt to go into the store knowing a little bit. Most sales folks know what's up, but have come across a few that were definitely a little clueless and trying to sell the most expensive shoes. I've always used the Brooks Adernaline line. They seems to provide a real nice balance of comfort and support. The newest model is a little pricy, but, once you find a shoe you like, you can usually find previous iterations online for a good discount.

Nuts. New Jersey running company in Hoboken on washibgton st is great. Though shoes there are expansive. They can tell you type you need then buy online.
They also have a ton of other stuff.
It's worth checking out. On 2nd and Washington I think.

Also a way to buy cheaper shoes is to buy last seasons model. For example. If you like the Nike lunarrun 5.0. Look online for the 4.0 (last seasons model).likely get it at steep discount and its same shoe.

As someone who has run competitively for 40+ years my first suggestion is to not call them "running sneakers" We call them shoes.
Everyone is different, what works for some doesn't work for others. I can't stand Nike but other people wear nothing but. So you may have to try a few pair before you find what works for you. While at RU we were always given Adidas, and I had trouble with some of their shoes but usually found something that worked. For me, its always Asics or New Balance and now that I know that I usually go to Kohl's believe it or not. I find they have a good selection and good prices.

Running on concrete, asphalt etc will get you in the long run. Get a bike instead.

Running on concrete, asphalt etc will get you in the long run. Get a bike instead.
I highly recommend running on your local high schools track. The rubberized surfaces are much easier on your legs, ankles, and knees. This will get boring at times but also extend your running life. It also avoids hills ;).

Reactions: njcanesfan
If you live near the Jackson outlets go there and try on many different sneakers. I think they have a Nike, Adidas, maybe Asics and other stores. Or go to any running store.
I wear Asics because they fit correctly.
I would suggest to make your selection based on feel and not price.

If you need to spend and extra $25 or so for the correct fit, do it. Don't want to screw around with ankle or knee injuries.

I am older and run a lot. I run with hoka's now but they are a little pricey. They feel great for my old feet and joints. But I would second all the asics comments. For running shoes that are fairly cheap I've had really good luck with them. Daughter swears by brooks. Both of us haven't had much luck with Nike or NB but I haven't tried those in probably 10 years+

Nuts, I was in the same boat as you after putting on weight a few years ago. Started running again for 30 minutes every other day, initially at a slow pace but without walking, and then slowly building pace. Weight melted right off of me and I slept much better. I enjoy 5Ks (and have no interest in things like marathons or even halfs) and it is fun to compete against myself from the prior year to see where I stand and also against others in my age group. You definitely get a good natural high post-race, especially if you performed well. I have had my share of aches and pains along the way. Don't try to do too much too quick. Get good shoes. Some good views running along the Hoboken waterfront.

I used to be a New Balance guy when I first got back into running but now I'm an ASICS guy for the last 6-7 years and have had no complaints. If you go online and get a cheaper pair of ASICS, perhaps last year's model shoe, would be my recommendation. Go to an actual running store to try on a pair of ASICS to get the feel of the right size for you.

Air Force guy here, and in the last five years, an avid runner myself. Been through Nikes, New Balance and Asics. I would have to agree with the Asics people in here. But more specifically the ones with GEL! Feels great! (I did have a pair of nike air max's from 2012 there were really good too, but they cost about 160)

Listen to the people that tell you to go to a running store and have them help you. Your size/weight, foot and stride will determine the right shoe for you. Better to pay up $15 to get the right shoe (and just buy it at the store) than buy online and have knee problems in six weeks and either stop running altogether or getting another pair of shoes (likely at the running store for an incremental $15 which you should have just done the first time).

Reactions: MADHAT1
Nuts,

Go to New Balance in Hasbrouck Heights and get the advice from the staff there,particularly from Olympic 1500 meter Gold Medalist,Peter Rono.I've been buying there for years.

Thanks again guys! Great advice all-around!

- I'll be running either the Hoboken and/or Weekawken waterfronts

- the store "superfan" mentions is a 45-second walk from my office so I'll go there this weekend, thanks!

- Pat, that's exactly where I'm at right now!

- shoes are what I wear for for business appointments with clients; sneakers are for athletic endeavors (although "running shoes" definitely flows better...) :smiley:

Last edited:
A vote for Asics - website provides good guidance on shoe selection and they have a million different shoes at different price points. Had major issues with patellar tendinitis until I started wearing Asics

One final suggestion - when you do finally find a pair of shoes that are comfortable and work for you (and of course you intend to keep running) make sure you buy a few pairs of them. Shoes are like cars -- a new version comes out every year. You may like the '16 version and hate the '17 version. I make sure that I have a new boxed pair of my favorites available at all times in my closet. When the old ones wear out you'll be happy to have them. In addition, as someone mentioned, the older versions go on sale when the new ones come out. So, if you like a current version of the shoes and you notice them on sale you better start buying them.

BTW, I follow my own advice. I recently just opened another box of my KV5s (a/k/a Saucony Kinvara 5). They are now on the KV7 series so I am two years post-series but still have a newer pair of my favorites that will take me until the fall race season.

40 yr runner here. The structure of your foot makes a difference. Do you have a high, medium or low arch?. A good running store will help you assess that but the point is if you have a high arch, you don't want a "motion control" shoe and if you have a low arch (flat feet), you don't want a "cushioned shoe" - all running shoes are cushioned but those of us with high arches need a more cushioned shoe. All this may sound unnecessarily complicated but the older you get, the more difference it makes.

If you really get into running, you will probably find that at some point, your favorite brand or model doesn't work for you. As an example, I was an Asics user for probably 20 years - then their cushioned shoes became too soft for me - it felt like my feet were hitting the pavement directly. I switched brands to a firmer cushioned shoe and it made a huge difference.

Good luck!

Okay I don't think I've ever done one of these threads here, and no I'm going to regret it at some point, but I figure I'll get better responses here than trying to figure it out myself doing the research. My needs:

- on the cheaper side

- good support, however, they don't have to weigh less than a feather. I'm looking to maybe do a 5K or two this summer. That's about it, to be honest, I literally hate to run but just have to start getting myself into better shape again.

- light running on sidewalks/streets (not doing any "tough mudder" stuff so won't be running trails or anything like that)

Thanks!
Nuts, my son is in track and we went through the entire list of shoes that everyone here has mentioned but he now runs in HOKA'S. Go to their website. The shoes are VERY comfortable and very supportive. I personally like Asic's and Saucony, but I am very impressed with his Hoka's.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Thanks again guys! Great advice all-around!

- I'll be running either the Hoboken and/or Weekawken waterfronts

- the store "superfan" mentions is a 45-second walk from my office so I'll go there this weekend, thanks!

- Pat, that's exactly where I'm at right now!

- shoes are what I wear for for business appointments with clients; sneakers are for athletic endeavors (although "running shoes" definitely flows better...) :smiley:

Solution: combine "run" and "sneakers" into "runners." I think that's kind of British but it's quite effective and efficient [thumb2]

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I also use ASICS because I need a EE.After going to a running store in Metuchen, I only buy online at Holabird Sports. com.

Real Sneakers were canvas shoes. In the US, all sports/athletic shoes were also nickname sneakers as slang. I am not sure why.

In some PR sports/athletic shoes were also nickname tennis shoes as slang. Again, no idea why, Tennis is not even popular there.

GREAT POST 30 plus and has stayed on topic and not been hijacked and no one is pissing on others commits.
And thank you quite informative as I need new sneakers[thumb2]

Real Sneakers were canvas shoes. In the US, all sports/athletic shoes were also nickname sneakers as slang. I am not sure why.

In some PR sports/athletic shoes were also nickname tennis shoes as slang. Again, no idea why, Tennis is not even popular there.

Ha.. ok, after Google searching, turns out that the 1st ever "sneakers" were marketed as Tennis Shoes!

Ha.. ok, after Google searching, turns out that the 1st ever "sneakers" were marketed as Tennis Shoes!

ikyadbljtrstkvr8c85y.jpg

- on the cheaper side

Thanks!

Agree with the go to a running store and have them analyze your stride and strike. I wear Brooks Pure Flow 4...I've worn them since version 2. It's somewhere between minimalist and regular running show.

- on the cheaper side

Thanks!

Nuts-though as a long time reader Im a tad disappointed in you saying "cheap"-I'm less than 60 days from the streets if nothing happens to improve my situation-and I won't skimp on my next pair. As a long time RUnner/jogger i'll offer the following on top of the great advice you have received.

1) First if you haven't run in awhile I'd go to a speciality store for running or a placed like Effinger's in Bound Brook and determine your width, and whether you (I don't even know) under pronate, pronate, yada. I say this because if you need wide "shoes" such as I do you'll unlikely find a larger width such as EE or EEEE at a box store.

2)The major rule with regards to the right shoe is that the right shoe for you is the one you are physically comfortable with (it may take a mistake or two before finding the right shoe). The right show for you may cost $50-or $150.

3) Keep searching the Internet day after day until you find a special on "Runners World". I ordered a few months back for about $5-$8 a year. I like the magazine because they have a shoe roundup 1-2 times a year where you can check out shoes you have not heard of-and check out for updates to shoes you own.. Later than earlier they had a chart you followed based on foot characteristics that pointed towards different models. The other reason I like "Runners World" is that in the back you can find ads for discounted online sellers.

4) My basic process is to try to first test my model (updates-once a year) locally in a store such as Effingers. Most models don't change much so it may be worth it just to order (if you cant find in a store) online and try the fit in house-and if you don't dirty you can ship back.

5) If I need urgently (and I've gone a year instead of the recommended 300 miles before changing due to funds) or the speciality store has/hjas discounted (unusual for a top newer model/update). I'll purchase there. Else I'll head to the Internet and perhaps runners world for new ideas.

5A-For the best price I head to Holaboird Sports (Holabirdsports.com) or RNJsports (RNJsports.com) both in Baltimore. In late December I couldn't find a single pair in my model and size and had to spend a tedious or two hour on eBay to find. No problems upon receipt.

5B-like others have said the older models tend to drop in price once the new models come out.
However I've found it Real difficult to time the price drops (somewhere in the mid December-Janaury range). The window is small. The last time I ordered all of Effingers, Holabird and RNJ were sold ouit and it took me over an hour on eBay to find my shoes at a moderately decent price-I had to go to a less popular color to find. eBay can be a bit cheaper than Holabird or RNJ but the later often offer free shipping at a certain level. If you find a shoe you like and can afford it may be best to buy two pairs at once. There are those who think running in different pairs day by day is better for the feet.

5C-If you don't need wide shoes (i.e. EE or EEEE) look for coupons for places such as Sports Authority in the coupons papers or Entertainment Books. I have used several
coupons for $10 on $50 and $20 on $100 from my Entertanment books.

6C Especially as you age listen to your body and cross train. Running 5+ days a week is too much for some people. Substitute stair climbers/EFX machines at the gym a day or so per week. Some people opt to walk fast/higher gradient on a treadmill instead of run/run on a treadmill. Note some health relationships can be funkon Sunday my childhood friend (the head of trauma at a local hospital and son of a major Pharma alum and former BOG member) told me he quit eating bread because the glutin caused him leg pain.

7C) Gradually build up and never overdue. I need to take this advice and seek medical help. 4-5 years ago I couldn't run consistently for more than 45 seconds max-and don't believe I can't break 14 min 45 seconds a mile (though I often jog without getting off the treadmill (I'm in a hotel now) often for 95-100 minutes. Listen to your body. My "mentor" won both the state mile and cross county championships (a nd later in live postentered a lesser marathon in DC (due to weather elsewhere) and won it at age 45) while my 55ish year old cousin takes his vacation time and runs in mega 100 miles races up[ and down mountains. I can't even run for a minute.

Have fun! Though time and health issues jhave prevented me from Running each day lately (I've also put on 20-40 lbs) I try to run everyday unless I've run for many days straight. Also don't neglect your diet, hydrate and stretch-especially after running/working out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT