ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Netflix to stream NFL games beginning this season

Ugh!

Just found out the Steelers game on Christmas Day when they host the Chiefs will be on Netflix.

Hate it, but not a surprise at all. Christmas is a Wednesday this year which is an awful day for NFL games. I just hope the Giants aren’t one of the four teams subjected to this.

Hate it, but not a surprise at all. Christmas is a Wednesday this year which is an awful day for NFL games. I just hope the Giants aren’t one of the four teams subjected to this.
Chiefs/Steelers and Ravens/Texans.

The Jets appear to be the team that will be shoved down our throats on primetime this year with six scheduled games, similar to the Bears last year.

• Love
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
I hope they don't stream the Thanksgiving games!

Have Netflix already so not the end of world.

But to be honest I can’t remember the last time I actually sat down to watch a game.

Meaning if I have to jump thru hoops to find the Giants I’ll probably end up doing something else.🤷‍♂️

Have Netflix already so not the end of world.

But to be honest I can’t remember the last time I actually sat down to watch a game.

One of the biggest issues I have when watching a game on a streaming service is not having the ability to flip to other channels. Let's be serious, there is a huge amount of dead time during a game. Team A scores, go to a 3 minute commercial break, Team A kicks off to Team B, goes into the endzone for a touchback, go to a 3 minute commercial break, etc. I found last year when I was watching football on Amazon Prime on TNF, that after half an hour or so I'd just turn it off.

Netflix
Peacock
Amazon Prime

They are going around standard and usual TV streamers and seeding eventual PPV on other platforms - imo.

ESPN is a marketing arm of the NFL. It's almost impossible to write an article about this and not mention the negative aspect. But not only didn't they mention it, they made it this positive lmao:

"For the second straight Christmas, the NFL will provide the gift of Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson."

The b1g has clearly out played the sec when it comes to TV…a diverse group of broadcasters and no eSPiN…brilliantly done. They should be the first to grant B1g games to streamers. Given how hopelessly stuck the SEC is with eSPIN, it would be yet another TV win.

Skankey is an awful commissioner.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
PPV ...that'd be hilarious!

People thought PSLs wouldn't work at one time.
#1 rule of NFL is they will throw anyone and anything over the rail for extra dollars.
With a 2024 US audience of 123 million they could get a lot of people to pay - and they would keep the ads.

"Half (51%) of NFL fans would be at least somewhat likely to buy a Super Bowl pay-per-view if it were only available as a pay-per-view event, with 28% being very likely to purchase a pay-per-view."

Reactions: RUScrew85
* People thought PSLs wouldn't work at one time.
#1 rule of NFL is they will throw anyone and anything over the rail for extra dollars.
With a 2024 US audience of 123 million they could get a lot of people to pay - and they would keep the ads.

"Half (51%) of NFL fans would be at least somewhat likely to buy a Super Bowl pay-per-view if it were only available as a pay-per-view event, with 28% being very likely to purchase a pay-per-view."

* They didn’t work everywhere. But you’re right they did try it like you said.

And put me down as one of those 49%.

I wouldn't put anything past the NFL, but 50 percent (less, really) of NFL fans is a far cry from current viewer numbers. Good luck getting those big ad dollars.

I wouldn't put anything past the NFL, but 50 percent (less, really) of NFL fans is a far cry from current viewer numbers. Good luck getting those big ad dollars.

TV deals run through 2033 so its not like things change tomorrow. The size of the audience counts for TV money charged/paid. But NFL would keep the ads. There might be less eyeballs but the people watching would be spenders. Bars, Restaurants etc would pay more. A lot of people will be dropping paying hundreds a year for TV with nothing but sports worth seeing. I dropped YTTV right after the Super Bowl and never missed it since - its all canned ham.

“Given the rate of cord-cutting is over 7 percent, or five million homes gone every year, the odds are very good that the Super Bowl will be on a streaming platform in ‘our’ lifetime,” said Michael Nathanson, the co-founder and senior managing director of research firm MoffettNathanson, which provides trends in media, communications and technology to institutional investors."

Get a large computer monitor.
The game will be hacked.
I haven't had cable in 6 years but I haven't missed a game yet.
The NFL must believe that everyone's internet is limited to Dumbphones.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
One of the biggest issues I have when watching a game on a streaming service is not having the ability to flip to other channels. Let's be serious, there is a huge amount of dead time during a game. Team A scores, go to a 3 minute commercial break, Team A kicks off to Team B, goes into the endzone for a touchback, go to a 3 minute commercial break, etc. I found last year when I was watching football on Amazon Prime on TNF, that after half an hour or so I'd just turn it off.
Biggest bs is that now Netflix will have commercials during these games . You subscribe to Netflix with the premisea programming is commercial free

I will gladly trade commercials for a massive rights fee increase…though I know that’s inevitable…

Last edited:
I agree it's not like a cable TV box but I have been streaming for about 10 years now. If you stream through an Apple TV you can have multiple streaming services open at the same time. Similar to the iPhone you just switch between the apps and miss nothing. I use DirectTV Stream so that is like cable and has the menu for recently watched channels. Plus most streaming services have multi-cast so that helps as well. If you are using a SMART TV or Firestick device, I agree it's not as easy.

One last thing that is never really discussed is that with streaming it makes it so easy to have multiple TV/iPads, laptops, phones, etc. together and have the different streams/multicasts going simultaneously. College football season I usually have 3 TVs going in the same room. You could not do that with cable boxes easily. When the season is over, most TV's go back to another room.

Reactions: ashokan and fsg2
Biggest bs is that now Netflix will have commercials during these games . You subscribe to Netflix with the premisea programming is commercial free

Wow, really? That's sleazy that they're now not only requiring a subscription but pumping commercials through. Do they now have a higher level subscription (more $) which is commercial free?

Wow, really? That's sleazy that they're now not only requiring a subscription but pumping commercials through. Do they now have a higher level subscription (more $) which is commercial free?
Netflix has a cheaper ad supported plan.
Amazon did the same thing originally. The nfl game was the only content that had commercials. Now I believe , Amazon does have a higher level of subscription that doesn’t have ads . But again , that doesn’t apply to NFL games.

No one talks about this and it’s complete BS. Honestly, I would gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee to watch a game played without commercials.

This is bait and switch Netflix is pulling . I pay more on my plan not to have ads but they will show them to me during NFL games . I am gonna question them to give me the cheaper rate now if they are going to show me ads

Last edited:
Amazon did the same thing originally. The nfl game was the only content that had commercials. Now I believe , Amazon does have a higher level of subscription that doesn’t have ads . But again , that doesn’t apply to NFL games.

No one talks about this and it’s complete BS. Honestly, I would gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee to watch a game played without commercials.

This is bait and switch Netflix is pulling . I pay more on my plan not to have ads but they will show them to me during NFL games . I am gonna question them to give me the cheaper rate now if they are going to show me ads
I was wondering how that would work. I have the ad-free version too.

So what're they gonna show during breaks?

Mlb TV doesn't have commercial content half the time so between innings it's just a blank screen with "Commercial Break in Progress." I'd rather have the commercials.

I agree it's not like a cable TV box but I have been streaming for about 10 years now. If you stream through an Apple TV you can have multiple streaming services open at the same time. Similar to the iPhone you just switch between the apps and miss nothing. I use DirectTV Stream so that is like cable and has the menu for recently watched channels. Plus most streaming services have multi-cast so that helps as well. If you are using a SMART TV or Firestick device, I agree it's not as easy.

One last thing that is never really discussed is that with streaming it makes it so easy to have multiple TV/iPads, laptops, phones, etc. together and have the different streams/multicasts going simultaneously. College football season I usually have 3 TVs going in the same room. You could not do that with cable boxes easily. When the season is over, most TV's go back to another room.

Was wondering if someone could have different HDMI ports to switch more easily between services and games. For instance Firestick/Roku on HDMI1 and Cable on HDMI2 with a different game and then use remote to switch between the games. Not sure if when you switch away from the Firestick if it will reset to the main menu when you come back though.

Mlb TV doesn't have commercial content half the time so between innings it's just a blank screen with "Commercial Break in Progress." I'd rather have the commercials.
News flash: football can be played without commercial breaks. It’s done all the time at lower levels.

count me out
I barely watch the nfl now with what happened but won't get a service to watch them from regular tv

now we've got mlb with ads on the unis and wonder how long before we look as ridiculous as the soccer in euroland

My interest in the NFL is lessening every year and this is just another nail in the coffin. I still have cable and record almost everything I want to see and watch it later, even the occasional Rutgers football or basketball game. Peacock comes with my cable service (good for cycling) and I turn Max on an off during the cycling season as needed. Watching replays of the races doesn't bother me. I doubt I would ever watch the replay of an NFL game.

News flash: football can be played without commercial breaks. It’s done all the time at lower levels.

Not entirely, there are still breaks.

And you really think they're going to rework the whole game flow for a couple Netfilx games per season so they can ...make less money?

Good luck to you on talking to the manager.

Reactions: NickRU714

I’ve watched NFL games streamed on UK channels. They have an in-studio team talking about the game and showing highlights of other games during commercials.

the only games I’ve watched on TV going back to 2013 were a couple of the Thursdays ones on Amazon…can’t remember commercials. It almost made the experience tolerable.

College football in that delivery mode would be amazing.

Not entirely, there are still breaks.

And you really think they're going to rework the whole game flow for a couple Netfilx games per season so they can ...make less money?

Good luck to you on talking to the manager.

They should talk to the Big Ten leadership and demand no commercials when games are streamed over Peacock or BTN+.

Was wondering if someone could have different HDMI ports to switch more easily between services and games. For instance Firestick/Roku on HDMI1 and Cable on HDMI2 with a different game and then use remote to switch between the games. Not sure if when you switch away from the Firestick if it will reset to the main menu when you come back though.
Interesting point. Never thought of doing it but it could work. My multiple Firesticks know what I am watching and turn on to those channels in DirectTV Stream. The Apple TV remote just makes it so much easier to switch between apps. One less remote to switch inputs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT