ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ high school baseball game in controversy

Wouldn't the run count in a non force situation if it were scored prior to the infractions resulting in three outs on the field ?
A real life example of this would be bases loaded and one out. Batter hits a fly ball to right, the runners on 1st and 2nd take off and are half way between the bases when the ball is caught, and the right fielder throws how and the runner is safe. Yes, the runners left early from 1st and 2nd, but since it's not a force play, it doesn't matter and there isn't really anything to appeal since the game is over.

Reactions: RUmaz
Umps made the right call…

And there’s people who are defending the batter/baserunners saying it doesn’t matter that the runners/ batter never reached their next base. The the pitcher walked the batter and that’s all that matters. These formalities are ruining the game… 😳😳😳
There was a world series game many years ago with a similar situation
I think it was a first and third baserunners, two outs , batter gets a hit into right field and the winning run came home

Unfortunately_the runner on first never went and touched second base. The end result was, the guy on first was called out and the run did not count

The play got wacky since the ball was thrown into the stands before the appeal

It goes to prove that runners must complete going to the next base

There was a world series game many years ago with a similar situation
I think it was a first and third baserunners, two outs , batter gets a hit into right field and the winning run came home

Unfortunately_the runner on first never went and touched second base. The end result was, the guy on first was called out and the run did not count

The play got wacky since the ball was thrown into the stands before the appeal

It goes to prove that runners must complete going to the next base
Merkle's Boner

I sincerely cannot believe some of the responses in this thread about the original video. I really hope certain people in this thread are not involved in baseball at any level, whether it be officiating, coaching, playing, anything

Umpire made it all about himself? No, no he did not. He handled it correctly. As long he did not tip off the defensive team in any way. If he tipped them off to the missed bag that's a whole nother story.

Then you have someone arguing the umpire should ignore the letter of the rule and instead go by the spirit of the rule. This is a joke right? We are talking about stepping on home plate or not. Totally black and white situation. No room for interpretation. NONE. There is no "spirit of the rule".

A real life example of this would be bases loaded and one out. Batter hits a fly ball to right, the runners on 1st and 2nd take off and are half way between the bases when the ball is caught, and the right fielder throws how and the runner is safe. Yes, the runners left early from 1st and 2nd, but since it's not a force play, it doesn't matter and there isn't really anything to appeal since the game is over.
Ok..but I thought a home run would be treated differently than a caught fly ball. A home run is, after all, a hit and not an out. Runners have the right to advance on a hit, but do not if a fly ball is caught...unless they tag up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT