ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ high school baseball game in controversy

We don’t know if he missed the plate

My position the call shouldnt have been made and we play on
The ump knows if he missed the plate and ruled accordingly. Just because the video isn't clear means nothing because there was nothing blocking the umpire's view when he crossed the plate.

I think Plum is right. I mean, why have officials/umps at all. Just run every scenario by Plum while he bangs away at his keyboard so he can arbitrarily determine what the “right thing to do” is.

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
How do you know it was the wrong call ??
Please give me the nJ pick 3 Lotto numbers tonight

I don't. And neither do you.

You also avoided my question.

IF it was the right call (didn't touch the plate), should the ump have called it? Or should the ump have let it go because it was a great play?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-

please tell me you are arguing to argue- a challenge was made- the Ump can't say- "Don't ask me, let's just play on" - once the challenge happens- one coach is going to be happy and the other, not so much

This is NOT on the Ump. and if the Ump clearly saw him miss- he has to call it at that point.

Let's say a runner on 3rd tags early and is safe by 10 feet. and the team on the field challenges. Does the Ump tell them, well, he would have been safe anyway? Or does he call him out because he left early?

What because they played baseball ? Most of us played here played baseball
And the 78 guy didn’t even realize officials standing in front of a play missed a call in the Rutgers -Ohio State basketball game. He didn’t even allow for human error here, which is still possible

The best compliment an umpire can get is “I didn’t even notice you were out there .”
I'm not sure why you say I didn't know the missed call in the OSU game? I've never said that.

The spirit and the letter means you need to touch home; it's not an option.
Ok

I am gonna agree to disagree at this point . No one’s mind is changing.

The guy didn’t need to call it and he became the story. Sometimes in life you need to just look the other way. Just my opinion

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Ok

The guy didn’t need to call it and he became the story. Sometimes in life you need to just look the other way. Just my opinion
Always look at the cause not the effect. 🤔

The kid who stupidly decided to skip over the plate instead of step on it like the two trail runners is the story. 🤷‍♂️

Making it about the umpire having to rule on the challenge....priceless 🤣

But it's numbskulls like you as to why there is an ever increasing shortage of officials in all sports. Don't understand the rules of the game and want them bent to satisfy your personal agenda.

BTW Northern Highlands can continue airing their grievance on Wednesday as Mt. Olive will be playing down the road from them at Ramapo HS.

Always look at the cause not the effect. 🤔

The kid who stupidly decided to skip over the plate instead of step on it like the two trail runners is the story. 🤷‍♂️

Making it about the umpire having to rule on the challenge....priceless 🤣

But it's numbskulls like you as to why there is an ever increasing shortage of officials in all sports. Don't understand the rules of the game and want them bent to satisfy your personal agenda.

BTW Northern Highlands can continue airing their grievance on Wednesday as Mt. Olive will be playing down the road from them at Ramapo HS.
Wow you are giving plum street major credit ! Listen I know I am a message board legend and got things right about Rutgers , more so than supposed insiders or some who had family on the teams .
For context , there is a guy in this thread that liked flood as a HC and thought he should be trained on the job with rutgers paying . That wasn’t me …I said flood was a dud from the beginning.

But I didn’t know my posting on a Rutgers football board is why there is a shortage of officials in all sports !! Hail to plum !! Legendary !!

Ok

So your opinion is that the umpire should have made the wrong call if the player didn't touch the plate?
Correct or incorrect call doesn't matter - player should have ruled safe regardless.
That's quote the opinion.

Since you brought it up. Do you also think the OSU-RU refs SHOULD have made the wrong call as well? They did make the wrong call. But nearly everyone agrees the correct call should have been mad. Regardless of how exciting the play ended up being.

goes in the book as an 8 unassisted out at home plate
Has anyone ever seen this before?

Wow you are giving plum street major credit ! Listen I know I am a message board legend and got things right about Rutgers , more so than supposed insiders or some who had family on the teams .
For context , there is a guy in this thread that liked flood as a HC and thought he should be trained on the job with rutgers paying . That wasn’t me …I said flood was a dud from the beginning.

But I didn’t know my posting on a Rutgers football board is why there is a shortage of officials in all sports !! Hail to plum !! Legendary !!
Umm, that status is conferred on to you from others not calling yourself one. Just another swing and miss by the court jester. Are you related to Shelby by chance?

OK. My baseball rules knowledge is fuzzy at this point but if the ump saw the first kid not touch home plate, could he have called him out when the 2nd runner scored. Why did it have to be appealed instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street

My specific question is, if the ump was right on top of the play and sees the plate clearly missed, what then?

This has nothing to do with the video and our view of it all

I can understand the sentiment of letting it go, but if the other teams coaches saw it and appealed it, the ump really can't say play on, imo if he saw it missed also

Yes just like Rutgers-Ohio state basketball game
Yes, just like the OSU/Rutgers game. The ref didn’t need replay to see the shot was good and it was before the clock and behind the 3 point line. Apples and oranges.

My specific question is, if the ump was right on top of the play and sees the plate clearly missed, what then?

This has nothing to do with the video and our view of it all

I can understand the sentiment of letting it go, but if the other teams coaches saw it and appealed it, the ump really can't say play on, imo if he saw it missed also
It has to be challenged by the other team before they can issue a ruling.

It was caused by over jubilation of an improbable scenario - not stupidity. Unless of course you think that 16 year olds are robots.

Also - by rule Chris Chambliss would have been ruled out for his dramatic game winning walk-off Home Run in 1976 since he never touched home plate. TBH - sometimes you just have to live in the moment given the situation and not be black and white about rules.

Touch home plate

Because you wrote the “ump was standing right there”
Since you seemed to miss the Rutgers -Ohio state game, I hate to break it to you that umps and officials “standing right there” , blow calls all the time
Silly-
Basketball ref in the RU OSU game had far more to distract him… not even close

Catcher can actually take the ball, inform the ump which runner he is appealing for missing home and step on home plate.
Not sure why he didn’t do that then? Seems odd

Rules are rules ! I am probably the only guy in this thread that has jaywalked or went over the speed limit !

Not sure why he didn’t do that then? Seems odd

Rules are rules ! I am probably the only guy in this thread that has jaywalked or went over the speed limit !

Not true.
If I’m speeding and a cop sees me, he should pull me over. Just because he chooses not to doesn’t mean he shouldnt have pulled me over.

If the cop pulls you over do you start arguing?
“Just look the other way. Think of the intent of the law!”

This is like the people arguing Toney shouldn’t have been called for offsides for the Chiefs.
“Come on! It was a great play! Look the other way!”

You can remove nearly every rule from baseball.
“You must touch the plate” is one like the first one that must stay.

Not true.
If I’m speeding and a cop sees me, he should pull me over. Just because he chooses not to doesn’t mean he shouldnt have pulled me over.

If the cop pulls you over do you start arguing?
“Just look the other way. Think of the intent of the law!”

This is like the people arguing Toney shouldn’t have been called for offsides for the Chiefs.
“Come on! It was a great play! Look the other way!”

You can remove nearly every rule from baseball.
“You must touch the plate” is one like the first one that must stay.
Ok

The ball needs to be put back into play before the catcher can do anything via a live ball appeal (hence the pitcher getting on the rubber, umpire putting it in play, then stepping off and throwing home).

I haven’t done high school for several years so don’t have the Fed rule book handy, but I believe the coach could have made a dead ball appeal and simply told the umpire they wanted to appeal it.

There’s a sentiment here the player who missed home shouldn’t have to live with this the rest of his life because it was an official over the fence homer.
I’ve seen guys miss 1st base by an inch on home runs over the fence ball watching , should we disregard that also?
I guess so. The ump shouldn't interject and take away the moment...according to some.

Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT