ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ high school baseball game in controversy

1st/2nd grade travel softball (technically rec but we didn’t have enough girls for 2 local teams so we end up playing actual travel teams).

Top 6th down 2 runs
Our best hitter hits it to the outfield and gets to 3rd.
She overran the base slightly and got tagged out before she could get back.

Ump called her out. Game over.
Rules are rules and sometimes it sucks for the kids.

He still failed to touch home regardless where ball was.
Exactly..if he didn't touch the base as determined by the ump, he didn't score. Period.
There are rules of the game plain and simple.
They are there with no ones name on them. Just balls strikes outs walks runs foul fair safe out.
The game is played from the first batter in the first inning to the last out in the last inning, any and all plays are all equal according to the rule book.
it doesn't say you can have the ref change the rule book a little about how he feels on the last play cuz it could determine and or change the outcome of the game.
Stick with the rule book! don't make excuses or have feelings that its not right even though its within the rules of the game.
Ump made the right call and he knows it. And so does anyone that saw the kid didn't touch the base.
You and Zap..next beverage is on me. Well said.

Exactly..if he didn't touch the base as determined by the ump, he didn't score. Period.

You and Zap..next beverage is on me. Well said.
I just don’t get some on here that think this was on the UMP. Guy did not make the call until the other team did exactly what we have seen so many times. The pitcher got the ball and made the challenge throw to the base that was missed. Catcher steps on the offending base. Only then, did he make the call.
Everything was done correctly and if the team on the field did not challenge and made a pitch to the next batter- it just wouldn’t have been called.

I just don’t get some on here that think this was on the UMP. Guy did not make the call until the other team did exactly what we have seen so many times. The pitcher got the ball and made the challenge throw to the base that was missed. Catcher steps on the offending base. Only then, did he make the call.
Everything was done correctly and if the team on the field did not challenge and made a pitch to the next batter- it just wouldn’t have been called.
I agree but I read a report that the ump told the catcher the kid missed the plate. Also that the Mt. Olive coach challenged the last runner, not the first. Not sure what to believe. Watching the video I had to rewind a bunch of times. Seems like the first kid may have skimmed home plate but I would have to go with the ump since he was right there looking to make sure the kid touched home plate.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Is this a huge story if the umpire rules the kid safe ? No.
This umpire interjected himself and decided the outcome of the game on a technicality.

There is no conclusive evidence confirming the umpire’s call was right or wrong.

• Haha
This umpire interjected himself and decided the outcome of the game on a technicality.

There is no conclusive evidence confirming the umpire’s call was right or wrong.
By technically, do you mean by the rules? The question is do you want subjectivity from the refs on when the rules are applied?

• Love

You really just like your opinion no matter what- The F-ing Ump waited until the other team challenged...now- if someone comes out to prove the Ump told the other coach to challenge- then you have a point. But if the Ump just let it play out until the other team challenged, he had NOTHING to do with it except ruling on what he saw. And in that case- if he saw the runner miss- he would have been so wrong to say he was safe.

Lol
Since when is touching home plate or any base for that matter a technicality.
The fantom touch of 2nd base in my era during the double play was only applicable because if you didn’t get out of the way you’d be killed.
Hard hit balls that beat the slider, you better have touched 2nd

Pitcher had to step off and appeal at the plate to get the call from the ump
I would think the pitcher steps off and appeals, but does not throw a pitch
If he threw a pitch and THEN appealed, would it not be too late to appeal?

Seems like an odd call given that baseball had the “neighborhood” rule where the infielder when turning a double-play only had to be near second base and not actually touch it

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I agree but I read a report that the ump told the catcher the kid missed the plate. Also that the Mt. Olive coach challenged the last runner, not the first. Not sure what to believe. Watching the video I had to rewind a bunch of times. Seems like the first kid may have skimmed home plate but I would have to go with the ump since he was right there looking to make sure the kid touched home plate.
If he told the catcher player missed plate then he would be wrong to do that. The way he appeared to handle this I doubt that happened. Plus I would think catcher would have reacted.

If the coach challenged wrong runner, then ump must only respond to that challenge. You cannot do a blanket challenge of all runners. If coach challenged wrong runner then call should be safe.

Reactions: vic_torre42
Lol
Since when is touching home plate or any base for that matter a technicality.
The fantom touch of 2nd base in my era during the double play was only applicable because if you didn’t get out of the way you’d be killed.
Hard hit balls that beat the slider, you better have touched 2nd
It wasn’t a competitive advantage. It was a technicality. This ump became the story. If he ruled the kid safe and play on , no one would even notice. Instead, he took a once in a lifetime moment away from those kids. And that’s what it was .
Not everyone is good enough to play in the major leagues . This you surely know.

I would think the pitcher steps off and appeals, but does not throw a pitch
If he threw a pitch and THEN appealed, would it not be too late to appeal?
Correct, it would be. He didn’t throw a pitch before appealing though

That video wasn’t definitive.
No way in hell should that umpire have made that call
Why he was standing right there and watching the player, while the video does not give you a good look the umpire had the best vantage point.

Why he was standing right there and watching the player, while the video does not give you a good look the umpire had the best vantage point.
You must have missed the Rutgers Ohio state basketball game when the official had the best vantage point

It wasn’t a competitive advantage. It was a technicality. This ump became the story. If he ruled the kid safe and play on , no one would even notice. Instead, he took a once in a lifetime moment away from those kids. And that’s what it was .
Not everyone is good enough to play in the major leagues . This you surely know.
Are you just trying to keep the story going, just need someone to say you are right or just plain stupid.,,
You should get a clue before you double and triple down on things.

The ONLY way the Umpire becomes the story here is if he did tell the other team the kid missed the plate or…if he ruled him safe but clearly saw him miss the plate.

The Ump was smart enough not to become the story and made the out call when the other team appealed. If they didn’t, play would have stood and they would have played on..,

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Are you just trying to keep the story going, just need someone to say you are right or just plain stupid.,,
You should get a clue before you double and triple down on things.

The ONLY way the Umpire becomes the story here is if he did tell the other team the kid missed the plate or…if he ruled him safe but clearly saw him miss the plate.

The Ump was smart enough not to become the story and made the out call when the other team appealed. If they didn’t, play would have stood and they would have played on..,
Whatever man . If you can’t tell the difference between spirit of the rule and letter of the rule , I don’t know what to tell you . I am sure you followed all the rules

I submit the ones taking away a once in a lifetime moment is the kid who missed the plate and his teammates who didn’t tell him to go back and touch it. When I played, it was known that every player on the team, when in the field or on the bench, had to have their head in the game.

I submit the ones taking away a once in a lifetime moment is the kid who missed the plate and his teammates who didn’t tell him to go back and touch it. When I played, it was known that every player on the team, when in the field or on the bench, had to have their head in the game.
right kinda odd that at least one of those kids didn’t have “their head in the game “
Maybe they saw him touch the plate ??

You really just like your opinion no matter what- The F-ing Ump waited until the other team challenged...now- if someone comes out to prove the Ump told the other coach to challenge- then you have a point. But if the Ump just let it play out until the other team challenged, he had NOTHING to do with it except ruling on what he saw. And in that case- if he saw the runner miss- he would have been so wrong to say he was safe.
The self proclaimed legend has made legendary foolish comments throughout this thread. And if the ump said anything to Mt. Olive how would the Northern Highlands 3rd base coach not have heard it. That would have been brought up immediately by them.

End of day you're required to touch every base no matter where the ball lands.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
No, he didnt . You don’t even know if he got the call right
He became the story.
More like you're becoming the story of this thread when YOU can't tell whether the runner touched the plate from the video but the umpire who was incould and are still arguing against the official. Idiots like you are the reason we have shortages of officials in all sports. Ignorant fools that don't understand the rules or want them bent willy nilly to satisfy their positions and berate them in person and online.

Where did you play ?

This looks like the worst call in the history of sports. The catcher is standing right there and didn’t even notice it
You do not make that call in that situation.
Why would the catcher react and alert the other team? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Yeah, let's not ask people closely associated to the game because it undermines your position.
What because they played baseball ? Most of us played here played baseball
And the 78 guy didn’t even realize officials standing in front of a play missed a call in the Rutgers -Ohio State basketball game. He didn’t even allow for human error here, which is still possible

The best compliment an umpire can get is “I didn’t even notice you were out there .”

That video wasn’t definitive.
No way in hell should that umpire have made that call
The umpire was right there and watching with a close up view
We can't say ThE ump was wrong, or it wasn't definitive, just because the video is unclear
Correct, it would be. He didn’t throw a pitch before appealing though
it looks like the ump waited for the pitch to be thrown for some reason

The umpire was right there and watching with a close up view
We can't say ThE ump was wrong, or it wasn't definitive, just because the video is unclear

it looks like the ump waited for the pitch to be thrown for some reason
We can’t say the umpire was wrong or right

I don’t think anyone is saying the umpire saw the play wrong or right

What because they played baseball ? Most of us played here played baseball
And the 78 guy didn’t even realize officials standing in front of a play missed a call in the Rutgers -Ohio State basketball game. He didn’t even allow for human error here, which is still possible

The best compliment an umpire can get is “I didn’t even notice you were out there .”
You do know who Zappa is, right. Not only played at the highest levels but grew up with a legend who was also a very good manager as well. I believe he would be the strongest point of reason possible in this thread.
But hey, you played some baseball too lol

You do know who Zappa is, right. Not only played at the highest levels but grew up with a legend who was also a very good manager as well. I believe he would be the strongest point of reason possible in this thread.
But hey, you played some baseball too lol
Yes. I know who he is.
You obviously do .
We don’t need to discuss the guy’s past. So not sure why you brought it up

I don’t believe the umpire should have made that call in that situation . I have no dog in the fight . Just my opinion

Last edited:
Yes. I know who he is.
You obviously do .
We don’t need to discuss the guy’s past. So not sure why you brought it up

I don’t believe the umpire should have made that call in that situation . I have no dog in the fight . Just my opinion
If the runner missed the plate, the ump shouldn't make the call
Is that your position?

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Whatever man . If you can’t tell the difference between spirit of the rule and letter of the rule , I don’t know what to tell you . I am sure you followed all the rules

So if the kid missed the plate, ump calls him safe and the manager comed out to challenge it the ump should day "well he was close enough and it was a great play so I'm calling him safe. I know he didn't touch the plate but it doesn't matter."

OSU-RU was a wrong call that was acknowledged should have gone the other way.

You appear to be saying the wrong call should have been made in this instance.

So if the kid missed the plate, ump calls him safe and the manager comed out to challenge it the ump should day "well he was close enough and it was a great play so I'm calling him safe. I know he didn't touch the plate but it doesn't matter."

OSU-RU was a wrong call that was acknowledged should have gone the other way.

You appear to be saying the wrong call should have been made in this instance.
How do you know it was the wrong call ??
Please give me the nJ pick 3 Lotto numbers tonight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT