ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ high school baseball game in controversy

You can see the other coach run right out to the mound after getting the look.

The pisser is that he hit a home run over the fence. Is there a need to have a rule that you touch all bases when it left the field. Should this be changed.

I truly understand an in the park home run but it was out.
It is a requirement for a hitter to touch all the bases on a home run hit out of the park or inside the park.

That player shouldn’t be playing baseball if he can’t touch 4 bags while jogging around a circle with no pressure to hurry up.

I was under the impression that the rules regarding an appeal are:

1. Pitcher must step off the rubber and make an accurate (no bouncing) throw to the player covering the base.

2. The player receiving the ball has to make a clean catch and be in contact with the bag for the appeal to be honored.

I appeal to you all to educate me on this matter. Make sure your explanation doesn't go over my head.🤗

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
It is a requirement for a hitter to touch all the bases on a home run hit out of the park or inside the park.

That player shouldn’t be playing baseball if he can’t touch 4 bags while jogging around a circle with no pressure to hurry up.
He did........

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
There is no way that call should be made in that moment especially. It had zero impact on the game and there was no advantage gained. If the kid slid into home to avoid a tag and missed the plate and ran off the field, that is different.

Similar idea, different sport... Opponent is shooting a foul shot with .2 left on the clock, everyone in the building is standing, including the RU bench. One RU player is on bench moves a little too much and has his foot 2 inches onto the court. If the ref calls a T on the RU bench for that, every single one of you would be absolutely ballistic.
His foot, 90 feet away from the other hoop had zero impact on the game.

• Haha
There is no way that call should be made in that moment especially. It had zero impact on the game and there was no advantage gained. If the kid slid into home to avoid a tag and missed the plate and ran off the field, that is different.

Similar idea, different sport... Opponent is shooting a foul shot with .2 left on the clock, everyone in the building is standing, including the RU bench. One RU player is on bench moves a little too much and has his foot 2 inches onto the court. If the ref calls a T on the RU bench for that, every single one of you would be absolutely ballistic.
Or as someone else brought it up in this thread, should the wide receiver who is about to go in the end zone untouched and alone on a 85 yard bomb but drops the ball on the 1/2 yard line right before the ball crosses the plane of the goal line. Should this be an automatic TD or should this be a fumble recover or touchback?

Or as someone else brought it up in this thread, should the wide receiver who is about to go in the end zone untouched and alone on a 85 yard bomb but drops the ball on the 1/2 yard line right before the ball crosses the plane of the goal line. Should this be an automatic TD or should this be a fumble recover or touchback?

I see what you're saying, but no.

Dropping the ball on the 1 is an act of showboating that I have no tolerance for... I SOOO miss Ray Rice and Brian Leonard scoring and handing the ball to the ref.

This was HS exuberance, and its my belief that the ump looking toward the bench indicated that the kid may have missed it. And maybe umpiring has changed, but I recall umps used to point at the plate when it was touched which that ump didn't do when any of the three kids scored.

I'm sure that would qualify as better quality umping than there is these days (and we know why that is the case).

IDK man
That call will stick with that kid for the rest of his life

Unless he literally missed it by 10 feet I probably would have given him the neighborhood courtesy in that instance
And if you allowed allowed the run to stand, the entire other team would have to live with it the rest of their lives.

All rules should be upheld, no matter what part of the game or what circumstances are occurring imo.
I like this example..I mean, he really would have scored had he not dropped it, so let him have it anyway...right?? Ummm, no.

I see what you're saying, but no.

Dropping the ball on the 1 is an act of showboating that I have no tolerance for... I SOOO miss Ray Rice and Brian Leonard scoring and handing the ball to the ref.

This was HS exuberance, and its my belief that the ump looking toward the bench indicated that the kid may have missed it. And maybe umpiring has changed, but I recall umps used to point at the plate when it was touched which that ump didn't do when any of the three kids scored.

I'm sure that would qualify as better quality umping than there is these days (and we know why that is the case).
Maybe all of this wouldn’t have happened if that first runner wasn’t “showboating” skipping over the plate. What’s the difference between HS and college “exuberance?”

And if you allowed allowed the run to stand, the entire other team would have to live with it the rest of their lives.

All rules should be upheld, no matter what part of the game or what circumstances are occurring imo.

I like this example..I mean, he really would have scored had he not dropped it, so let him have it anyway...right?? Ummm, no.
If he missed it by 10 feet, he's out
If he missed it by one inch, it's neighborhood, especially in that situation

It's like a double play
6-4-3, yet the 2nd baseman releases a split second early

We gona call the kid safe b/c of that?
Nobody, and I mean, nobody does that
Ever
Especially in that situation

Judging by the replay, the kid could have easily scraped the plate
One would think at 18, he would know if he touched it or not

Ultimately, it's up to the umpire, but putting 2 and 2 together (along w/the look he gave the home dugout and conversing w/the catcher), it looks like some home cookin to me

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Why did they wait until the next batter took a pitch to end the game?
The next batter didn't take a pitch, actually.

Even if the umpire knows that the runner didn't touch the plate, he has no standing to make the call on his own, or alert anybody about what he knows. He must wait until the opposition acts, and make a call based on that.

In my opinion it was handled correctly.

Next time, the runner should settle down and touch the plate, as the rules require. Jubilation, schmubilation, rules shouldn't be waived because somebody decides he doesn't want to follow them, regardless of his reason...

That video wasn’t definitive.
No way in hell should that umpire have made that call
Agreed, this frame grab makes it look very close. I get it's the ump's call and maybe he saw it clearly, but the replay is not definitive IMO.

J6L9aA6.png

Kicker lines up for a GW 50 yard FG... Ball is kicked, but is hooking BADLY and has no chance of going through the uprights.

Defensive team starts celebrating running onto the field before the ball lands.

Throw the flag for too many men on the field? Don't care if the a HS game, college bowl game, or the Super Bowl... don't throw the flag.

• Haha
Kicker lines up for a GW 50 yard FG... Ball is kicked, but is hooking BADLY and has no chance of going through the uprights.

Throw the flag for too many men on the field? Don't care if the a HS game, college bowl game, or the Super Bowl... don't throw the flag.
Whether it was "the right thing to do" for that umpire is without question up for debate. I'm a stickler about rules, but I get it that sometimes you let it go. I wouldn't have in that situation, but wouldn't argue it either way...

Ding...Ding..Ding...

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
Baseball is over the fence and basically a home run since not in play. Nice try...Bad comparison.

Football is still a live ball at 1 yard line and in play.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This makes absolutely no sense bigtime?
What does the fact you can’t tell from the replay have to do with the umpire watching the kid miss the base home plate from 3 feet away.

I understand tag plays, ball beating the runner etc are split second difficult calls.
Watching every player touch home plate is not difficult.
My understanding is that the Ump was not going to and most likely not allowed to call the player out until the other coach challenged it. But, maybe I am wrong.

But the new age replay fans have no clue that the home plate Ump staring at the plate as the crossed is so much better then any perception via video, in this case.

And WTF is a kid in HS thinking? Even players with walk offs in a game 7 world series, know they better hit the damn ass plate even as teammates and fans are draping all over them.

This wasn't a blatant disregard of the rule, ie, using an inelligible player, scuffing the ball, sticky stuff, using an illegal bat.

As someone mentioned earlier... the ball was over the fence.

• Haha
The next batter didn't take a pitch, actually.

Even if the umpire knows that the runner didn't touch the plate, he has no standing to make the call on his own, or alert anybody about what he knows. He must wait until the opposition acts, and make a call based on that.

In my opinion it was handled correctly.

Next time, the runner should settle down and touch the plate, as the rules require. Jubilation, schmubilation, rules shouldn't be waived because somebody decides he doesn't want to follow them, regardless of his reason...
the other coach has to challenge it- and it looks like he may have been discussing it on the field before doing so- the Ump looks like he has already heard they were going to do so and was waiting on the official challenge.
and if the other team did challenge- the Ump has no choice but to make the call even if it seems ticky tack

the other coach has to challenge it- and it looks like he may have been discussing it on the field before doing so- the Ump looks like he has already heard they were going to do so and was waiting on the official challenge.
and if the other team did challenge- the Ump has no choice but to make the call even if it seems ticky tack
Right.

There are many times, for instance, when runners tag up and leave early. The umpire who notices it does not make a proactive call. It's only after the other team appeals that he acts.

I've often wondered if there were some momentous swings because a team failed to make an appeal that would have been granted...

Yes, wait 2 secs and celebrate after the play. For instance, why call 12 men on the field when one guy is running off? He is not guarding anyone and can’t make a difference.

• Love
Right.

There are many times, for instance, when runners tag up and leave early. The umpire who notices it does not make a proactive call. It's only after the other team appeals that he acts.

I've often wondered if there were some momentous swings because a team failed to make an appeal that would have been granted...

Tagging up early is a competitive advantage. This was of no advantage.

12th man running off the field is during a "live play" or about to be a live play. You tell me the third kid missed the plate on an inside the park HR, I'm good with the call.

Late sub by the defense probably caused that 12th man.

When I played, if you took your helmet off before you crossed the plate, you were considered out. (If it came off, that’s different.) It didn’t matter if you scored from third on a home run or a bases loaded walk. Rules are rules, and I feel he made the right call. He was staring at the plate. He might’ve heard someone say that we’re going to challenge it, we don’t know that. Maybe he was looking in the other dugout for the coach to say to the kid “hey go back and make sure you touch the plate.”
I also coached, and made sure everyone touched every base so no one was called out on appeal.

My understanding is that the Ump was not going to and most likely not allowed to call the player out until the other coach challenged it. But, maybe I am wrong.

But the new age replay fans have no clue that the home plate Ump staring at the plate as the crossed is so much better then any perception via video, in this case.

And WTF is a kid in HS thinking? Even players with walk offs in a game 7 world series, know they better hit the damn ass plate even as teammates and fans are draping all over them.
He was not at the plate until second runner. He was still behind the batters box when the first runner touched the plate.

He had a different Vantage point for each runner across the plate.

Reactions: Plum Street
When I played, if you took your helmet off before you crossed the plate, you were considered out. (If it came off, that’s different.) It didn’t matter if you scored from third on a home run or a bases loaded walk. Rules are rules, and I feel he made the right call. He was staring at the plate. He might’ve heard someone say that we’re going to challenge it, we don’t know that. Maybe he was looking in the other dugout for the coach to say to the kid “hey go back and make sure you touch the plate.”
I also coached, and made sure everyone touched every base so no one was called out on appeal.
Where did you play ?

This looks like the worst call in the history of sports. The catcher is standing right there and didn’t even notice it
You do not make that call in that situation.

• Haha
Right.

Isn’t tagging up and leaving early a competitive advantage?

When I played...as soon as you took off- you made sure your hand came up and knocked the helmet off your head. lol

unless there is a F-ing challenge
How did the manager even know to challenge ? No way he saw that from his vantage point and his catcher didn’t see it standing right there
And still the guy should have not called it . Not calling it wouldn’t be a national story
this isn’t game 7 of the World Series and even there it would have to be confirmed on multiple replays . This is hs baseball. Give me a break for all you clowns defending this umpire that interjected himself into the outcome

Last edited:
  • Haha
How did the manager even know to challenge ? No way he saw that from his vantage point and his catcher didn’t see it standing right there
And still the guy should have not called it . Not calling it wouldn’t be a national story
this isn’t game 7 of the World Series and even there it would have to be confirmed on multiple replays . This is hs baseball. Give me a break for all you clowns defending this umpire that interjected himself into the outcome
you dont call it unless challenged. No different than someone tagging early- The Ump does not just make the call- ball goes back to the pitcher and he throws it to the base as a challenge.
It is also what happened here.
I am almost sure, the Ump did not want to have to make that call.

There are rules of the game plain and simple.
They are there with no ones name on them. Just balls strikes outs walks runs foul fair safe out.
The game is played from the first batter in the first inning to the last out in the last inning, any and all plays are all equal according to the rule book.
it doesn't say you can have the ref change the rule book a little about how he feels on the last play cuz it could determine and or change the outcome of the game.
Stick with the rule book! don't make excuses or have feelings that its not right even though its within the rules of the game.
Ump made the right call and he knows it. And so does anyone that saw the kid didn't touch the base.

I know since we're all Rutgers fans that we think that there is always some type of conspiracy afoot. The evidence on this one was when the ump looked over at the Mt. Olive coach when the kid missed the plate. Some posters say that this was evidence that he was signaling the coach that he missed the plate. To the contrary I think that the ump saw the kid miss the plate. I believe that the ump did not want to make the call and was looking to see if anyone else saw it. As someone who's officiated HS sports for parts of five decades the last thing that ump wanted to do was to call that kid out.
Someone on the Mt. Olive bench saw it as the coach was out to the mound within seconds after the final kid scored. Kudos to either the coach or some sub for seeing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT