ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJCU Going Under Soon? Suspends employee spending.

NJCU opened a campus on the Fort Monmouth property in August 2021.
They opened their business school at the Harborside HBLR station, blocks from Exchange Place. If run right NJCU can get back to focus on servicing college students at least from Hudson County/ Jersey City, instead of opening up at Fort Monmouth. Kean, Montclair, Rowan, Stockton can get away with opening up satellite campuses out of the area because they have more alumni and more in their budget.

A bunch of a little universities or colleges of NJ don't need to exist.

I never understood 20-30 years ago the mad rush of so many colleges to become "universities", to build and expand infrastructure, etc.

Right down the street from us is William Paterson "University", formerly William Paterson College. They used to be more of a commuter school, had a good teacher's college, good music school, great jazz program, etc. Then they embarked on this huge expansion in the mid-to-late 90's to build a lot of new buildings, particularly dormitories. And, of course, that caused prices to go up. Tuition has skyrocketed there - years ago my mom finished her degree there, and I took some summer courses there to satisfy humanity requirements for my second degree: it was a really quite reasonable cost per credit hour. Now it basically rivals Rutgers. For what?

I never understood 20-30 years ago the mad rush of so many colleges to become "universities", to build and expand infrastructure, etc.

Right down the street from us is William Paterson "University", formerly William Paterson College. They used to be more of a commuter school, had a good teacher's college, good music school, great jazz program, etc. Then they embarked on this huge expansion in the mid-to-late 90's to build a lot of new buildings, particularly dormitories. And, of course, that caused prices to go up. Tuition has skyrocketed there - years ago my mom finished her degree there, and I took some summer courses there to satisfy humanity requirements for my second degree: it was a really quite reasonable cost per credit hour. Now it basically rivals Rutgers. For what?
For those who couldn’t get into Rutgers or that it was too far away to commute to/from.

Here comes the “JERSEY CITY AND EVERYTHING IS IN IT” people

From people with a shred of the equity and income of everyone in 07302 and 07310 and probably even the Heights at this point.

And even Hoboken is "covered in glass"; it's "unsafe outside of Stuff Yer Face at night" and Asbury Park is "dangerous", say people who don't go anywhere more than 5 miles from their cul de sac.

Reactions: zebnatto

The average SAT at RU now is 1370.

Most kids getting 1370 these days- unfortunately- are not entering professions like teacher or social worker. Maybe not even nursing.

Yet those are all jobs that require degrees if not a MA on top. So what's the plan for these students?

NJ is the 11th largest state by population. Virginia is 12 and has UVA, VT, James Madison, W&M, VCU...off the top of my head. I live in NJ and I can name these schools. Can't NJ have more than RU?

NJCU is a small public school in a middle class neighborhood (West Side JC) that attracts mostly middle class local students from Hudson County. Yes, it's good and important that people from these communities get college degrees too. Not everyone can get into RU, but it doesn't mean they're not deserving of an education.

For those who couldn’t get into Rutgers or that it was too far away to commute to/from.
WP (and similar colleges like Drew, Rider, Monmouth, etc) are expensive options with mediocre to worthless degrees. They were able to jack up tuition due to gov student loan programs (just another thing the gov f'ed up).

WP (and similar colleges like Drew, Rider, Monmouth, etc) are expensive options with mediocre to worthless degrees. They were able to jack up tuition due to gov student loan programs (just another thing the gov f'ed up).

LOL

WPU tuition

In-state tuition 13,770 USD, Out-of-state tuition 22,336 USD

Drew University/Undergraduate tuition and fees
40,960 USD

Rider University/Undergraduate tuition and fees
45,860 USD

Monmouth University/Undergraduate tuition and fees
40,680 USD

For someone who just wants to attack any public spending that doesn't directly benefit them, you can't even handle a basic Google search to know which NJ schools are public or not.

This thread wasn’t created for informed discussion. It’s just one more entry in a long list of threads with the same agenda and subtext.

I shake my head at all the comments from RU grads that basically say, “I know nothing about NJCU but I know that it sucks.”

Yeah but remember, the people saying that often have no RU degree and the ones that do got in- and got a free ride- because of a parent working there.

But the gov spending on other people riles them up. You have to cut them a break. These are people who demanded the Gateway Tunnel not get built and it got funded last week. It's been a rough go.

Reactions: Kbee3
This thread wasn’t created for informed discussion. It’s just one more entry in a long list of threads with the same agenda and subtext.

I shake my head at all the comments from RU grads that basically say, “I know nothing about NJCU but I know that it sucks.”
As per the article, it is corrupt and going bankrupt. Sounds like it qualifies as sucking.

Reactions: Knightmoves
As per the article, it is corrupt and going bankrupt. Sounds like it qualifies as sucking

I doubt that anyone on these boards doesn’t see right through you. I’m not on here often but the crap you write about AC and every city in NJ reveals so much about you and why you are here.

You didn’t know one damn thing about NJCU until you saw that article, except maybe that you knew it was a state U in Jersey City. And that’s a pretty big maybe.

I doubt that anyone on these boards doesn’t see right through you. I’m not on here often but the crap you write about AC and every city in NJ reveals so much about you and why you are here.

You didn’t know one damn thing about NJCU until you saw that article, except maybe that you knew it was a state U in Jersey City. And that’s a pretty big maybe.
#1 - Don't hijack this thread by talking about AC
#2 - AC blows

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

You have to love his comment that Hoboken is "covered in glass" and it's dangerous outside of Stuff Yer Face though.

I heard they give him a dime rather than a nickel for that caliber of post.

Reactions: Kbee3 and ruinac
Query - Can a state school go bankrupt if the state isn't bankrupt? It's not like a municipality, which is a separate entity.

Harvard offers ESL classes to its students. The Sorbonne offers masters degrees with classes taught entirely in English.

Universities everywhere offer local language instruction for non-native speakers.

Mocking NJCU for offering ESL classes shows your own ignorance and biases.

Harvard offers ESL classes to its students. The Sorbonne offers masters degrees with classes taught entirely in English.

Universities everywhere offer local language instruction for non-native speakers.

How dare Rutgers offer this!!!!

Sorry, Karen.

I would not be surprised if a majority of colleges in the country offered ESL at some level.

My daughter is doing graduate work to get a masters and I don’t believe there were many schools in NJ that did not have a program

So true.
Anyone who visits this site even a lttile bit knows what those mockers are about.

For the mocking of a great institution and obviously hurting your feelings.

My feelings? No. Not close.

But it does strike me as being a bit unseemly to be mocking NJCU. It’s not RU or TCNJ. It’s not even Kean or Rowan. But it serves an important purpose to the students in its area who don‘t have the skills or means to attend those schools yet still want to further their education at a four-year college and improve their career prospects.

Not every student is born to english-speaking parents or come here as young children and have many years to master english before they turn 18.

But it does strike me as being a bit unseemly to be mocking NJCU. It’s not RU or TCNJ. It’s not even Kean or Rowan. But it serves an important purpose to the students in its area who don‘t have the skills or means to attend those schools yet still want to further their education at a four-year college and improve their career prospects.

Not every student is born to english-speaking parents or come here as young children and have many years to master english before they turn 18.
So true.
BTW, i think Screw's middle name is Unseemly

Last edited:

So learning English in HS or at night school isn't enough? And if they need ESL classes at college how are they getting their actual degree in something as it is likely taught in English in Jersey City. They aren't majoring in ESL are they?

Something isn't adding up. And it smells like the Education Complex has found yet another way to bilk the public out of money.

So learning English in HS or at night school isn't enough? And if they need ESL classes at college how are they getting their actual degree in something as it is likely taught in English in Jersey City. They aren't majoring in ESL are they?

Something isn't adding up. And it smells like the Education Complex has found yet another way to bilk the public out of money.

Great questions. You should ask Harvard, RU and pretty much every major American university why they do the same.

edit: you might need to turn on your sarcasm detector

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
Great questions. You should ask Harvard, RU and pretty much every major American university why they do the same.
actually one reason is that foreign students in American Universities use that course if they plan on getting a teaching position in America and that on resume is very helpful .because some states require ESL degrees for foreign applicants for teaching positions

Also ESL degrees come in handy for positions in multinational corporations that have offices in countries all across the globe that do business with businesses in America . Those corporations need qualified workers with a good command of the English language for dealing with American business people that might not know any other language than English

Think I'm talking out of my hat ????????????
If you do: nest time you call a customer support number, ask the rep on the other end if he/she has a ESL degree from their local university, you'll find English as a second language is being taught in universities all across the world 😁😛

Reactions: ruinac and Kbee3
actually one reason is that foreign students in American Universities use that course if they plan on getting a teaching position in America and that on resume is very helpful .because some states require ESL degrees for foreign applicants for teaching positions

Also ESL degrees come in handy for positions in multinational corporations that have offices in countries all across the globe that do business with businesses in America . Those corporations need qualified workers with a good command of the English language for dealing with American business people that might not know any other language than English

Think I'm talking out of my hat ????????????
If you do: nest time you call a customer support number, ask the rep on the other end if he/she has a ESL degree from their local university, you'll find English as a second language is being taught in universities all across the world 😁😛
^^^^ Checkmate

Woodshop Studies and Small Engine Repair Studies can't be too far behind. If not available, maybe I can apply to start my own department!
A wise man once said that any major that ends in the word “Studies“ is a top candidate for elimination when fiscal times are tough.

ADVERTISEMENT