ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Zack Wheeler extension with the Phillies is in. 3 years $126 million. $42 AAV which is highest ever amount for an extension. I hate the Wilpons and Brodie Van Loser so much.
Not going to go down as our franchise's greatest moment 😩

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Not going to go down as our franchise's greatest moment 😩
most people thought that the Phils over paid even if we didn't want to lose him. And man- the guy earned every penny the Phils dropped on him and then some.

I sometimes wonder if he would have developed as much if he stayed.

Harvey failed, Thor failed, deGrom was just on a different planet but I don't think anyone would have thought that Wheeler would have had such a superior career to Thor and Harvey.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Once BVW started running his mouth, this was a predictable result for long time Mets lovers. And good for Wheeler…

most people thought that the Phils over paid even if we didn't want to lose him. And man- the guy earned every penny the Phils dropped on him and then some.

I sometimes wonder if he would have developed as much if he stayed.

Harvey failed, Thor failed, deGrom was just on a different planet but I don't think anyone would have thought that Wheeler would have had such a superior career to Thor and Harvey.
Probably not, but I do remember Wheeler being a valued prospect by several teams when they were moving vets at the deadline that year.

He had 2 really good years with the Mets before he left. I was screaming and yelling for the Mets to re-sign him before FA.

Reactions: knightinaz
He had 2 really good years with the Mets before he left. I was screaming and yelling for the Mets to re-sign him before FA.
good rookie year (solid) and 2nd year
piss poor 3rd year
good year for 4th year
and ehhhhis final year. "Really good if 4.00 era is the mark...

We all wanted to keep him but $20+ mil at that time did seem an overpay. He proved almost everyone wrong

And during the Wilpon or Stearns- era- still may have just been too much

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Probably not, but I do remember Wheeler being a valued prospect by several teams when they were moving vets at the deadline that year.
Wheeler ha a ton of value- but he was "over paid" at his signing for his profile- he proved everyone wrong...Phils came out smelling roses

good rookie year (solid) and 2nd year
piss poor 3rd year
good year for 4th year
and ehhhhis final year. "Really good if 4.00 era is the mark...

We all wanted to keep him but $20+ mil at that time did seem an overpay. He proved almost everyone wrong

And during the Wilpon or Stearns- era- still may have just been too much
I’m going to have to agree with Yes here. When the Mets let him walk, Wheeler was still a guy who showed flashes but was inconsistent, having had a promising 2018 but backtracking again in 2019.

Now, if Cohen was in charge then, we likely keep him because Cohen would have taken the financial risk to sign him for five years. But that lengthy contract was a financial gamble given Wheeler’s inconsistency.

There’s plenty of stupidity to pin on the Wilpons and BVW-DOA, not the least of which was hiring BVW-DUD in the first place just so he could stand around the field with his phone to his ear and kill the system. But signing Wheeler to a long term contract was by no means a no brainier.

Notice, by the way, how the Phillies are giving a three-year contract for a huge amount to a 33 year old, not a 40 year old. Now, even that deal could go very bad for them. But it’s s better gamble than the one that the Mets took last off-season and reminds me how much better it is to have David Stearns in control.

Is BVW still in the sports agent business? I haven't seen his name attached to any big name free agents since his Mets GM fail.

Wheeler took a step up in Philly but if you looked under the engine there were signs he was on his way up not down. Philly saw those signs and got a steal. E.R.A is a good indicator but doesn't tell the whole story.

On Edit: I went back to look at some old threads because I'm bored and I wanted to see what I thought back then about Wheeler. I told you before he even signed with Philly that he was going to get a lot more money on the open market than people thought.

Last edited:
Wheeler took a step up in Philly but if you looked under the engine there were signs he was on his way up not down. Philly saw those signs and got a steal. E.R.A is a good indicator but doesn't tell the whole story.
I guess there must be some advanced stats but I still just like my old fashioned ones- and I wanted to keep Wheeler but didn't think he was worth the money Phils spent.

But what I looked at stat wise is 2018- 2019 and 2018 was quite a bit better
He walked a few more guys but no one could hit him in 2018.
2019, he gave up more hits than innings though his walks were down.
I am assuming the k/9 and BB/9 were upgraded from 18 to 19 and that must be what you are referencing.

On Edit: I went back to look at some old threads because I'm bored and I wanted to see what I thought back then about Wheeler. I told you before he even signed with Philly that he was going to get a lot more money on the open market than people thought.
There were always signs that Wheeler could be good. And signs the other way. For him, it was mostly about command, which started out horrible, then fluctuated, then got better, then backtracked a bit. But, hey, if you wanted him resigned, it turned out you were right. But giving him five years was not a no brainier.

It’ll be interesting to see how this extension works out.

McNeil should be back soon per Mendoza. No MRI or other tests needed.

I'm sure they laughed at Jerry Buss when he envisioned and formed the Laker Girls. Think about it, Paula Abdul may never have received her big break and we would have been a lesser society for it.

Damn Red Sox just signed Lucas Giolito and now he's probably going to be out for the year.

It's starting to look like the 2025 season may be no different than the 2024 season. Mets sat tight on going after any quality free agent pitcher because the thought was next year's pool of pitchers would be better and deeper. Well, it's looking like the top quality pitchers are signing extensions with their current teams. Wheeler with Philly and Burnes looking like he will extend himself to a longer stay in Baltimore. They are young and further along in the mix for a title than the Mets. Dysfunctional is the norm for the Mets and sometimes it's not their fault.

episode 1 store GIF

Here is some actual good news!
key to the season is going to be the BP and if Seve comes back to old form and if Senga is not out long or bothered all season.

Question for some of you.

I feel I always have to preface anything I say about the front office with a "I like the moves Stearns had made in a smart way this year and the returns from the trade dealine should pay off big time"

But, back to Alonso - We all know that 2024 is a punt regardless of what they say. And that with luck- this current team could sneak into the playoffs and who knows what could happen from there...and that most likely, we will put the most money on the table for Pete.

But let me ask- let's say he does sign somewhere else...And I don't want to hear- it would be smart not to spend the money on a 1B...there is also no one that can tell me they don't think he averages 40+ 100+ for the next 5 years minimum.
What would be the plan for the Met's if they fail signing him?We don't have even close to a replacement in the minors. Any comparable 1B in the majors is either older, signed long term or still under team control?
Do we just get best available 1B and go all out for a "Soto"?

We can't go into 2025 with just Lindor, McNeil, Nimmo

You are often hyper-focused on the now, veterans, and free agents, an approach that would only allow problems to build. Eventually you'll catch your tail.

Oh, I'm not sure yet that this year is a punt. Even your own post left room for making the playoffs.

You are often hyper-focused on the now, veterans, and free agents, an approach that would only allow problems to build. Eventually you'll catch your tail.

Oh, I'm not sure yet that this year is a punt. Even your own post left room for making the playoffs.
Not really- I am asking what the actual plan would be if we lost Pete...I did leave room for the playoffs. But let's say we go into next year, lose Pete- what is the game plan to even leave room for the playoffs as we watch him rake 45/120 elsewhere?
There has to be a little bit of a dance where the Met's get smart but also willing to pay in the right areas- paying 40 mil mult years for a 40+ pitcher isn't smart. Paying 25-30 mil for a 30 y/o top slugger in MLB that never misses a game- and is as big of a fan favorite as we have ever had???

Not really- I am asking what the actual plan would be if we lost Pete...I did leave room for the playoffs. But let's say we go into next year, lose Pete- what is the game plan to even leave room for the playoffs as we watch him rake 45/120 elsewhere?
There has to be a little bit of a dance where the Met's get smart but also willing to pay in the right areas- paying 40 mil mult years for a 40+ pitcher isn't smart. Paying 25-30 mil for a 30 y/o top slugger in MLB that never misses a game- and is as big of a fan favorite as we have ever had???
Not an easy dance, if you choose to step onto the floor. They tried it for a couple of years and found themselves where they are right now.

Not an easy dance, if you choose to step onto the floor. They tried it for a couple of years and found themselves where they are right now.
They did it poorly- you mix in the Stearn’s model along with keeping a home grown hero- works.
Signing every big name on the market does not work.
Alonso is just one of those guys that mean even more than the numbers. And most likely- he has at least another 5-6 years of big numbers. All of a sudden- there is a Met approaching 500 HR- 1500 rbi
That means something to us long timers who have not had a position player like this before..,

RE: Alonso

Too early to say what a backup plan might be. Way too many variables. A lot will depend on what we see this year from the younger players. Maybe they go with a speed and defense model if Acuna, Gilbert, Jett (More 2025), look the part. Maybe Alvarez, Baty, and Vientos show some more power this year and they decide their D will be good enough and the 3 of them can replace the production. Alvarez already showed a lot last year but more well rounded bat.

Should Alonso get paid more a lot more than Freeman or Olson got when they're better? What happens if his numbers dip this year as he starts to get older? I want him to be a Met for his career but he's looking out for his own best interests as should the organization. He clearly wants to see what is on the open market and has the right to do so. He wouldn't have hired Boras otherwise.

A lot can happen year to year.

RE: Alonso

Too early to say what a backup plan might be. Way too many variables. A lot will depend on what we see this year from the younger players. Maybe they go with a speed and defense model if Acuna, Gilbert, Jett (More 2025), look the part. Maybe Alvarez, Baty, and Vientos show some more power this year and they decide their D will be good enough and the 3 of them can replace the production. Alvarez already showed a lot last year but more well rounded bat.

Should Alonso get paid more a lot more than Freeman or Olson got when they're better? What happens if his numbers dip this year as he starts to get older? I want him to be a Met for his career but he's looking out for his own best interests as should the organization. He clearly wants to see what is on the open market and has the right to do so. He wouldn't have hired Boras otherwise.

A lot can happen year to year.
Freeman is a 1st ballot guy but was hurt in FA with his age. Olsen- when he signed his contract, he was not near what Alonso has been in his first 5 years. If Olsen continues what he did last year- Braves got a steal.
Both, also went to new teams. Alonso has a chance to really just be something special for the Mets. He goes elsewhere- he becomes just another hired slugger. And I hope he sees that as well.

Freeman is a 1st ballot guy but was hurt in FA with his age. Olsen- when he signed his contract, he was not near what Alonso has been in his first 5 years. If Olsen continues what he did last year- Braves got a steal.
Both, also went to new teams. Alonso has a chance to really just be something special for the Mets. He goes elsewhere- he becomes just another hired slugger. And I hope he sees that as well.
Olson's full 5 years in Oakland are very similar to Alonso's 5 years with the Mets. Olson did take a step up when he was traded to Atlanta but he was also 2 years younger getting his new contract than what Alonso will be. Oakland also a terrible park to hit in even compared to Citi.

Alonso 2019-23(Age 24-28) - .251/.342/.528 OPS+ 136
Olson 2017-21(Age 23-27) - .254/.348/.515 OPS+ 135

Olson's full 5 years in Oakland are very similar to Alonso's 5 years with the Mets. Olson did take a step up when he was traded to Atlanta but he was also 2 years younger getting his new contract than what Alonso will be. Oakland also a terrible park to hit in even compared to Citi.

Alonso 2019-23(Age 24-28) - .251/.342/.528 OPS+ 136
Olson 2017-21(Age 23-27) - .254/.348/.515 OPS+ 135
since both include 2020- let's just throw that year out. both did about the same that year anyway.

So- the 4 years that do not include 2020- both are very similar in BA...
But Alonso's production numbers stand head and shoulders above.Olsen's best RBI year was 111 RBI- Alonso has eclipsed that 3 times.
HR's- Olsen - ran between 24-39 HR Alonso was between 37-53 HR and went over 40 3 times.

Some of Olsen's numbers go up because he walks more- but he also strikes out more too.

But the first 5 years are easy Alonso

RBI is just as much a team stat as it is an individual stat. Olson had less people to drive in when he was at Oakland. It's why his RBI numbers jumped to a new level when he got to Atlanta. Alonso did average about 13 more XBH a year than Olson which is why his slugging is higher. As you said Olson walks more which is why his OBP numbers are better. I was very surprised myself to see how close to each other they are at the same point in their careers but again Olson was also younger.

He should get the deal Olson got(8 years $168) plus a bit of a premium because it is a couple years later. You could also say Alonso should give the Mets a homegrown discount. I'd say 7 years $190 million but Alonso not saying yes to that right now and I'm probably being generous there.

Last edited:
They did it poorly- you mix in the Stearn’s model along with keeping a home grown hero- works.
Signing every big name on the market does not work.
Alonso is just one of those guys that mean even more than the numbers. And most likely- he has at least another 5-6 years of big numbers. All of a sudden- there is a Met approaching 500 HR- 1500 rbi
That means something to us long timers who have not had a position player like this before..,
They've done a lot of things poorly, but most important is that they either didn't implement a process to stock the system with talent or they didn't have the right people to execute that process. And so now you're just hyper-focused on Pete. I want to keep him back too, for a few reasons. But the notion that someone would announce for you now the other options to replace or improve upon Pet's production if he leaves 10 months from now is absurd. Take a breath and watch the season unfold. See what Stearns does. You have all next off season to freak out about Pete.

Reactions: rubaseball78
They've done a lot of things poorly, but most important is that they either didn't implement a process to stock the system with talent or they didn't have the right people to execute that process. And so now you're just hyper-focused on Pete. I want to keep him back too, for a few reasons. But the notion that someone would announce for you now the other options to replace or improve upon Pet's production if he leaves 10 months from now is absurd. Take a breath and watch the season unfold. See what Stearns does. You have all next off season to freak out about Pete.
I am hyper focused on Pete because- AS I HAVE SAID mult times already- I love what Stearns has been doing and the moves we made at the trade deadline...You keep missing that

So, in Stearns I trust, but it is just this one player that he really should consider why he needs to go all out to try to make it happen. We have only had 1 superstar player that played his entire career here.

Would love to have Pete back, but Boras makes this a who-knows proposition at best.

The situation with Pete is the same thing the Mets went through with Brandon Nimmo. Nimmo fire CAA and hire Scott Boras going into his last season before free agency. That turned out fine for the Mets. Uncle Steve still pulls the purse string. Pete is more important to the team than Nimmo. Few teams want to get into a bidding war with the Mets over Pete. I believe the Mets will get the first and last shot at Pete. Boras isn't dumb when dealing with certain teams.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I am hyper focused on Pete because- AS I HAVE SAID mult times already- I love what Stearns has been doing and the moves we made at the trade deadline...You keep missing that

So, in Stearns I trust, but it is just this one player that he really should consider why he needs to go all out to try to make it happen. We have only had 1 superstar player that played his entire career here.
Ok, you love what he is doing and "he really should consider why he needs to go all out." OK. What are you on about?

Ok, you love what he is doing and "he really should consider why he needs to go all out." OK. What are you on about?
cripes- are you like this in real life.

I'll tell you what- If I talk about Pete as a fan- It has nothing to do about you. As- it is obvious, you are into one sided conversations- your side. So- you are right and let's just say anything I say as a fan is just silly.

And now we can all enjoy ourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT