ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I don't have faith in Megill doing it long term during the season. He's never had quite the velocity that he had during that two month stretch on which we all pin our hopes. And that drop in velocity has mattered. Sure, he hits 95, 96, sometimes even 97. But he also hits 92, 93, and Two-month Megill soared past 98 and mowed people down. Also, the Post did a piece last month on his new splitter, suggesting that it might be a game-changer for him. So far, I haven't seen much of it, though I admittedly haven't seen all his starts.

Anyway, I hope he improves. But I would never bet on it.
It is sort of why I tempered my thoughts on him. And kept it at “earning his spot”

I would be surprised if the last few years of Judge's contract are cost effective, but what are you going to do? The Yanks held firm and he went out and broke the AL HR record in his contract walk year. I guess sometimes the player wins! :)
Your correct, sometimes the player wins and Judge sure went out and had a monster year. Playing in NYC and in a walk year the Yankees could never have imagined they'd have to negotiate against that, lol.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
If not this year, then next year with the infusion of so many promising young players, my hope is it will look like a 1985 season. This signing of high price 35+ age former superstars has lead this franchise down a dark road, enough already.

Spring Breakout Game Lineup is out!

1. Jett Williams CF
2. Drew Gilbert RF
3. Luisangel Acuna SS
4. Ryan Clifford 1B
5. Kevin Parada C
6. Alex Ramirez LF
7. Colin Houck DH
8. Jesus Baez 3B
9. Marco Vargas 2B

SP Dominic Hamel

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
If not this year, then next year with the infusion of so many promising young players, my hope is it will look like a 1985 season. This signing of high price 35+ age former superstars has lead this franchise down a dark road, enough already.
Agree that we don't need the 35 y/o 4-5 year contract. If we were to sign a JDM to a 1 year- it helps as a bridge. But anyone else- Lindor is still you, Nimmo and McNeil were good signings, Alonso- should be the only "next" long term signing that is a bit older.

Kodai Senga rehab slowing down

KODAI SENGA : REHAB PACE SLOWED​

Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns said Friday that Senga (shoulder) will not begin a throwing program for another 7-to-10 days, Tim Healey of Newsday reports. It was reported earlier this week that Senga's throwing would be delayed one week, and it appears it might be even longer than that. The righty will undergo more imaging after resuming throwing before the club determines the next steps. Stearns indicated that Senga has not had a setback with the moderate posterior capsule strain in his right shoulder, but rather the team's "internal pacing" points to a longer wait. Senga almost surely won't be back before the end of April now, and it's possible it will be quite a bit after that.

• Sad
Mediocre guys like Houser and Manaea getting starts over Carrasco and his 7 ERA is a big difference. The rotation doesn't jump out with names but the margins have definitely been improved.

• Love
Got my first real look at Alex Ramirez at the plate, and I'm bewildered why the Mets thought he was a hitter.

Player wins. After one year he can become a free agent again and maybe owners are more willing to start throwing outrageous money around again.

Player wins. After one year he can become a free agent again and maybe owners are more willing to start throwing outrageous money around again.
or Snell has his bad year after a good year and he opts into the 2nd year at 31 mil

Alvarez 8/12 throwing out runners this spring. His D is a million times better than we were told and now he's adding that to his game. Very exciting.

Baty having a really good spring. Let's hope it carries over next week.

I should say having a good March for Baty. Those few Feb games weighing his overall spring numbers down.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about really good or even good. But he and Vientos don't stink this spring, and it looks like they'll get a shot for a while to start the season.

• Love
Alvarez 8/12 throwing out runners this spring. His D is a million times better than we were told and now he's adding that to his game. Very exciting.

Baty having a really good spring. Let's hope it carries over next week.

I should say having a good March for Baty. Those few Feb games weighing his overall spring numbers down.
The rate of runners caught stealing was so low last season with the advent of the bigger bases that the numbers Alvarez is putting up is amazing. The way both Baty and Vientos are looking so far is the reason the Mets have held back on signing a DH bat. Here's to hoping this doesn't backfire.

Baty - .290/.371/.516 in March this Spring. Sure not very good or even good ok. I don't think I needed a SSS alert as it's obvious and looking at the positives here.

Baty - .290/.371/.516 in March this Spring. Sure not very good or even good ok. I don't think I needed a SSS alert as it's obvious and looking at the positives here.
Very odd to feel the need to slice and dice his numbers to present only partial spring numbers. We could do that with last seasons, I guess. If only he didn't have this AB, if only he didn't swing at that bad pitch, his early numbers look worse so they're probably a bad representation . . . . None of that works. It's always the whole thing that counts.

Very odd to feel the need to slice and dice his numbers to present only partial spring numbers. We could do that with last seasons, I guess. If only he didn't have this AB, if only he didn't swing at that bad pitch, his early numbers look worse so they're probably a bad representation . . . . None of that works. It's always the whole thing that counts.
There were 6 games in February and he probably didn't even play in all of them so it's not crazy to put more emphasis on more recent at bat's after he's getting ramped up in spring training. And this is from somebody in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp with Baty. I see him starting to lift the ball to right field and find that encouraging. He has a lot to prove.

There were 6 games in February and he probably didn't even play in all of them so it's not crazy to put more emphasis on more recent at bat's after he's getting ramped up in spring training. And this is from somebody in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp with Baty. I see him starting to lift the ball to right field and find that encouraging. He has a lot to prove.
Data mining isn’t crazy, it’s just rarely useful, particularly when you’re mining for a result that you want, like here.

I saw Baty lift the ball last year, just not nearly enough. So he’s not “starting” to do it now. The question is how often and consistently a player can do something. Data mining, particularly with a recency bias, is how you reach conclusions that you want to reach.

Of course the later part of Spring training is much more important than the start if you are looking at stats...

So, to isolate March makes a lot of sense.

There's a rule change worth mentioning that I am not sure everyone is aware of. It's actually not a change per se, just enforcement of a rule already on the books.

The "change" is that infielders will no longer be allowed to block a base with their foot or leg while fielding a throw on a tag play. This had become an art form in recent years.

The penalty is that the runner will be ruled safe at the advancing base. So if you try to steal second and the infielder is blocking the base, you are ruled safe at second. But if you are taking a lead off second, and the pitcher tries to pick you off, and the infielder is blocking the base as you dive back, you are ruled safe at third (the advancing base).

MLB is serious about promoting baserunning. Which puts an even greater premium on a catcher who can throw 'em out.

Cohen gave an interview last year where he made it quite clear that he was losing money.

Many glossed over it.

Of course the Scherzer / Verlander contracts didn’t help given the negative ROI.

Cohen gave an interview last year where he made it quite clear that he was losing money.

Many glossed over it.

Of course the Scherzer / Verlander contracts didn’t help given the negative ROI.
I mean, of course he was/is. The thing that's exciting about having him as an owner is that, unlike all or almost all of the other owners, he can afford to lose money, big money. But there's a limit, and he's trying to put in a system that produces talent and let's him use those funds differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT