ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Please tell me when the Wilpons had the highest payroll in baseball multiple years in a row. To even compare Cohen to them is unfair.
It's not about the payroll as much as it's about the same sh*t, different day. The Mets spend money and lose. They don't spend money and still lose. Somehow, the Mets can find managers who are unprepared to manage in New York. Three of the last four managers should have never been hired. How about the front office? It seems like every GM of the Mets does something to bring disgrace to the organization or is flat-out terrible at their job. Alderson couldn't get out of his own way. BVW was an agent pretending to be a GM. The last two GMs under Cohen embarrassed the team.

Zak57, I'm just growing tired of "Wait until next year." I'm in my 50s, and I have to go back to the 80s to remember what it's like to be on top of the world. Loved the late 90s/early 2000s, but not much else. I've watched a dysfunctional organization like the Marlins win it twice since the Mets claimed the title. INSANITY.

Frustrated Episode 2 GIF by NBC

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
How in hell would a Yankee fan know, or anyone? He was a bench coach. Were they unimpressed with how he sat on the bench?
When is the last time Boone was commended for strategical excellence ?

How many times has Boone been criticized for managerial miscues ?

Mendoza right under him all these years.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Borderline HOF and I think that’s a stretch.
He hasn’t made all star appearance since 2019. Long time for an all star.
Lots of very good SS out there and if I remember- that takes only first half into account.

Lots of very good SS out there and if I remember- that takes only first half into account.
He’s a career .273 hitter with 680 career rbis. Not what I’d call someone on a HOF trajectory.

Lots of good SS s out there is exactly the issue. Shouldn’t one key criteria of an All star be someone who is dominant in his era ?

When you have the likes of Dansby Swanson beating you out every year and now CJ Abrams will be the dominant SS in this division - just don’t know how you consider Lindor a HOF er.

He’s a career .273 hitter with 680 career rbis. Not what I’d call someone on a HOF trajectory.

Lots of good SS s out there is exactly the issue. Shouldn’t one key criteria of an All star be someone who is dominant in his era ?

When you have the likes of Dansby Swanson beating you out every year and now CJ Abrams will be the dominant SS in this division - just don’t know how you consider Lindor a HOF er.
And he's well below that number with the Mets.

Part of my critique is that I dislike that the game has gone this way, ie more HR's and SO's in place of higher BA, so this is not strictly a Lindor thing, but I just can't see him being considered a HOF'r or an all time Met.

It's not like his best years are ahead of him either.

Swanson has how many 100 run, 30 HR, 100 RBI, 20 SB ? in his 9 year career - answer is zero to all of them and a life time .254 No SS awards 2 GG and 12/18/19 MVP voting
Abrams- stole bases last year and Lindor crushed him in R/RBI/HR/BA
Lindor 3 100 runs along with 2- 99 and 1- 98, 4 times 30+ HR, once over 100 RBI, 3 times 20+ SB and .273 in 10 years - 3 SS Awards 2 GG and 5/6/9(3 times)/15 in MVP voting

So- I have to ask- WTF are you talking about?

Doc, my issue is the organization is right back to what we all dislike, the Coupon style of underachieving but selling the fans BS. A few years ago the NY Rangers came right out and said to the fans we are rebuilding. People and the media act like that's impossible for any team in NY to say and do. Fans will accept it as long as you are upfront with them. The Rangers did it and now have a very good team who can compete for the Stanley Cup. The Mets, on the other hand, are just the opposite, and still want fans to buy the BS. Either sh*t or get off the pot. I'll ride with you as long as you truthful. I've road with this team for 50 years, but I don't like being lied to and expected to be okay with it. I'm frustrated and that's why I responded in such harsh ways.
Despite the start, I don't believe their punting on 2024. I think Cohen just like most fans every spring believe a team that won 101 games with a lot of the same players can still compete in 2024. Get back to .500 whenever that is before the trade deadline and watch Cohen and Stearn put the pedal to the metal. I think as Mets fans most still don't believe fully in what we have in ownership, I do. LGM.

Last edited:
Despite the start, I don't believe their punting on 2024. I think Cohen just like most fans every spring believe a team that won 101 games with a lot of the same players can still compete in 2024. Get back to .500 whenever that is before the trade deadline and watch Cohen and Stearn put the pedal to the metal. I think as Mets fans most still don't believe fully in what we have in ownership, I do. LGM.

This is how I feel, and there is no help in sight.
charlie brown GIF by Peanuts

• Haha
Let’s give Mr, Lindor a standing ovation. Hopefully he keeps it going

I think I've posted this before, but each season a significant portion of the content of this thread so quickly becomes such a b****y, die-easy, alarmist whine-fest laced with low-level analysis that I enjoy the Yankee fans coming in here to mess with those folks. Come on in, they're all yours.

Reactions: Kbee3
I think I've posted this before, but each season a significant portion of the content of this thread so quickly becomes such a b****y, die-easy, alarmist whine-fest laced with low-level analysis that I enjoy the Yankee fans coming in here to mess with those folks. Come on in, they're all yours.
Really? Seriously?

Anyone see JD Martinez highlights from him DHing at AA the other day? WTF, he ran down the line with a piano on his back, crap, nothing like eating your way out of a nice contract after belting 30+HR's and driving in 100+rbi's. No wonder no one took a flyer on chubby other than the Mets who seem to sign DH's that won't waste the clubhouse buffets.

I double checked video. I can’t tell if he’s 270 or 230 with those incredibly awful uniforms

I guess JD stands for Just Donuts during offseason
Superior Donuts Costume GIF by CBS

Last edited:
  • Haha
It's not about the payroll as much as it's about the same sh*t, different day. The Mets spend money and lose. They don't spend money and still lose. Somehow, the Mets can find managers who are unprepared to manage in New York. Three of the last four managers should have never been hired. How about the front office? It seems like every GM of the Mets does something to bring disgrace to the organization or is flat-out terrible at their job. Alderson couldn't get out of his own way. BVW was an agent pretending to be a GM. The last two GMs under Cohen embarrassed the team.

Zak57, I'm just growing tired of "Wait until next year." I'm in my 50s, and I have to go back to the 80s to remember what it's like to be on top of the world. Loved the late 90s/early 2000s, but not much else. I've watched a dysfunctional organization like the Marlins win it twice since the Mets claimed the title. INSANITY.

Frustrated Episode 2 GIF by NBC

I might revisit this to say more but the first thing that comes to mind for me is you saw them win a WS! I was 2 in 86 so I've never seen one so you have it better. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face but the organization now is in the best hands since the 80s. A lot needs to go right to win the WS but we have the right owner and POBO to deliver the team to continued success. This organization is going to begin to develop correctly starting this year even if we don't see immediate results. Don't give up now. Oh by the way we've at least been to a WS in the last 10 years.

You're welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Go shit in your hat

I might revisit this to say more but the first thing that comes to mind for me is you saw them win a WS! I was 2 in 86 so I've never seen one so you have it better. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face but the organization now is in the best hands since the 80s. A lot needs to go right to win the WS but we have the right owner and POBO to deliver the team to continued success. This organization is going to begin to develop correctly starting this year even if we don't see immediate results. Don't give up now. Oh by the way we've at least been to a WS in the last 10 years.
This is exactly what scares the shit out of the Varsity or so they think they still are.LMFAO! So many organizations come to mind way before them when thinking of success.

Really? Seriously?
Yes. It becomes a kind of whine and cheese party.

Now, to be frank, I’d prefer reasoned discussion, but what are the chances of that. You’ve seen what goes on here. So if that isn’t coming, I’ll just watch like a WWE show.

Yes. It becomes a kind of whine and cheese party.

Now, to be frank, I’d prefer reasoned discussion, but what are the chances of that. You’ve seen what goes on here. So if that isn’t coming, I’ll just watch like a WWE show.
I agree here but then you also say you dislike data mining discussion. It's funny because I feel like our convos are 98% agreeable but that other 2 whacks out lol.

I agree here but then you also say you dislike data mining discussion. . . .
I don't dislike the discussion. I'm just not moved by the conclusions reached from those analyses. It’s too easy to find conclusions that you like and then adjust the data to support them.

I don't dislike the discussion. I'm just not moved by the conclusions reached from those analyses. It’s too easy to find conclusions that you like and then adjust the data to support them.
This can be true. Almost like an accountant keeping 2 books, lol

Yes and no. It depends how the conclusion is presented. Using a large enough sample it's fine.

Anyways this thread is bonkers back and forth and that's not changing but to me it's part of the fun here.

Reactions: Knight Shift

One of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board congrats

One of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board congrats
What he also missed is that for a SS- those numbers are already better than most SS's in the HOF - 11 SS's in the HOF are under a .280 BA - Only Jeter and Ripken have more HR's at SS being their primary position. He already has more RBI than 6 HOF...etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT