ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Strike 3 to Nimmo sucked

Lindor had an at bat that looked like Mets were up 9-1 in top of 9th in game 7 of World Series and he couldn’t wait to strike out and get back on defense

DJ goes deep 1 sec after Gary talked about how Yamamoto only gave up 2 HR in 165 innings LY

Last edited:
chromacat-chromacatlive.gif

Reactions: nutfromSEC117
Any thoughts on the Mets CityConnect uniforms? I hate 'em. Who thought Concrete was an attractive color? Who even knew it was a color?
They'd work if they highlighted them with some apples and little bit of orange sprinkled in there. They look a little like the Nets jerseys.

Gotta love that we have a catcher that hustles around the bases. Hopefully his thumb is fine.

Mendoza wasn't too optimistic about Alvarez thumb injury.

Fearing it may be broken or ligament issue - which would really suck.

Great win today and nice to see Lindor get a HR.

Can't believe this is the same team that started 0-5 !

Amazing turnaround !

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Looks like one of those years again where we get on a hot streak and close the gap a little but Braves also just keep winning.

Hoping Alvarez isn’t going to be out long but from what it seems, doesn’t sound good.

Bader has been a ton of fun to watch.

Can we give some love to Stearns and the acquisitions he has made? Zero killer contracts yet players are performing. Sevi, Bader, Taylor, just to name a few. Couple of misses in Short and Wendele but nothing that will hurt us for years to come

Can we give some love to Stearns and the acquisitions he has made? Zero killer contracts yet players are performing. Sevi, Bader, Taylor, just to name a few. Couple of misses in Short and Wendele but nothing that will hurt us for years to come
Kind of puts to rest the bull$hit opinions that Steve Cohen is punting away the 2024 season. Nice that going 8-2 keeps the trolls away.

Kind of puts to rest the bull$hit opinions that Steve Cohen is punting away the 2024 season. Nice that going 8-2 keeps the trolls away.
pretty sure Cohen was punting the 2024 season to get under certain financial threshold for the season, but the players are refusing to go quietly. Good on them. Hopefully Steve will go on a spending spree next season to compliment the core, starting with Alonso.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
When Lindor is great in a Mets uniform in the playoffs everyone can tag me - 2022 for example wasnt it. This was my stance since day one and still holds.

Over-react one way, over-react the other way, explain the first one, explain the next one, wash, rinse, repeat.
When "SOMEONE" was saying this season won't be punted away at the point the Mets were 0-5, what category would you put me in? I'm not a popup fan and truly believed in this team, and said if their close at the trade deadline Cohen will spend.

Rutgers NJ

Sophomore​

Doc, my issue is the organization is right back to what we all dislike, the Coupon style of underachieving but selling the fans BS. A few years ago the NY Rangers came right out and said to the fans we are rebuilding. People and the media act like that's impossible for any team in NY to say and do. Fans will accept it as long as you are upfront with them. The Rangers did it and now have a very good team who can compete for the Stanley Cup. The Mets, on the other hand, are just the opposite, and still want fans to buy the BS. Either sh*t or get off the pot. I'll ride with you as long as you truthful. I've road with this team for 50 years, but I don't like being lied to and expected to be okay with it. I'm frustrated and that's why I responded in such harsh ways.
Despite the start, I don't believe their punting on 2024. I think Cohen just like most fans every spring believe a team that won 101 games with a lot of the same players can still compete in 2024. Get back to .500 whenever that is before the trade deadline and watch Cohen and Stearn put the pedal to the metal. I think as Mets fans most still don't believe fully in what we have in ownership, I do. LGM.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
Up Stream Red Team

Last edited:
So- I my initial was that we are punting- middle level guys with short contracts- though, a pretty solid core here. So- they werent punting into a sub 500 but punting to hope just a couple games over .500 gets the playoffs and fans are so happy...We then signed JD out of the blue- and it made me think it may be something a little more aggressive.
Now- Ownership and Stearns are having a party that the guys they signed on the cheap- are working out, and that this team has turned itself around after that horrid start.
But let's see what happens if we are within 5 games at All Star and what we do then.
My guess- I do not think they believe we can win the WS- they may touch a few small areas and hope for a strong 2nd half from our guys.
And maybe that is the right way to go- but a bunch of the short term guys they brought in have been working out, what happens next year?

On his arrival, Cohen set the expectation bar high. He may have fallen short of fan expectations this off-season. But it was hardly "cheap" as some suggest. Here are the cost of his 2024 acquisitions, stated in terms of luxury tax impact.

Manaea - $14M
Severino - $13M
Bader - $10.5M
Martinez - $9.4M
Hauser - $5M
Diekmann - $4M
Taylor - $2M
Wendle - $2M
Lopez - $2M

That's a cool $62M in 2024 signings. I didn't check the other 29 teams, but I am guessing that that's in the top quartile of 2024 off-season expenditures.

Then add in the 110% luxury tax impact, and you're up to $130M. Now I am certain you're in the top decile.

On his arrival, Cohen set the expectation bar high. He may have fallen short of fan expectations this off-season. But it was hardly "cheap" as some suggest. Here are the cost of his 2024 acquisitions, stated in terms of luxury tax impact.

Manaea - $14M
Severino - $13M
Bader - $10.5M
Martinez - $9.4M
Hauser - $5M
Diekmann - $4M
Taylor - $2M
Wendle - $2M
Lopez - $2M

That's a cool $62M in 2024 signings. I didn't check the other 29 teams, but I am guessing that that's in the top quartile of 2024 off-season expenditures.

Then add in the 110% luxury tax impact, and you're up to $130M. Now I am certain you're in the top decile.
Still cheap compared to so many over the top contracts. Keep in mind many of our deals were either for a year or two. Have to look at the full picture not just this year alone

Still cheap compared to so many over the top contracts. Keep in mind many of our deals were either for a year or two. Have to look at the full picture not just this year alone
True, but the comments were made in the context of "punting on 2024".

ICYMI, Verlander made his debut yesterday after having missed his first three starts. Went six innings strong. Another 134, and the Mets will be on the hook for $17.5M if he exercises his option. Maybe he will miss another three starts somewhere along the way.

It's really not hard to understand. They went short term high AAV deals on stars to try and win a World Series while building up the farm system. Mid Max was a fraud so they are pivoting to a talent transition with some young guys knocking on the door in the minors. Doesn't mean they couldn't jump on an opportunity like Martinez, they have good players.

Hottest team in MLB. Can you say Stearns has been nails with patching this team together? Mendoza keeping the ship steady when so many were calling him not ready for primetime. To make it worse the usual suspects and their total lack of baseball knowledge visiting here said he won't be any good since he spent so many years learning under Boone. 2024 is in play and they will add when it's needed. Seems Alvarez is going to be out a lot longer than 10 days so who's out there or in the system better than Nido as backup and spot starter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT