ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

My early season favorite player……Reed Garrett. First major league save
So far, this has been the best Mets bullpen in years. Garrett is riddiculous - pitched yesterday and blew the dodgers away in the 9th. And I could getting the 9th again if Diaz isn’t available and he js.

mets mr met GIF

So- on the same side that we wanted to crush Stearns on the off season- we need to also give some time during the season as well

First- thrilled that I may be wrong about "this years" team- they are playing their balls off
Next- there are guys that have nothing to really do with Stearns that are doing very well.

Will the Stearn's guys continue?
And if they do, so f-ing happy to be so wrong. lol

We are doing this without the Ace and the HOF DH...

Hottest team in MLB. Can you say Stearns has been nails with patching this team together? Mendoza keeping the ship steady when so many were calling him not ready for primetime. To make it worse the usual suspects and their total lack of baseball knowledge visiting here said he won't be any good since he spent so many years learning under Boone. 2024 is in play and they will add when it's needed. Seems Alvarez is going to be out a lot longer than 10 days so who's out there or in the system better than Nido as backup and spot starter?
To your question, Mets have a few quality catching prospects in the system, most notably Parada, but no one who is close to being ready.

They also have a couple of stopgap veterans, but no one who would be an upgrade over Nido.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
What a kick in the stones. Between him and Mauricio, two players I wanted to see play and develop this year. Damn!
Exactly, so now what? Who's out there that won't require giving up any of our top tier prospects?

Exactly, so now what? Who's out there that won't require giving up any of our top tier prospects?
Nido, He won't cost anything. I expect the Mets will ride with what they have for awhile.

EDIT: 37 Year old Martin Maldonado is currently the White Sox primary catcher. I expect he's available. However, he's only hitting .194 - and that's not his BA, it's his OPS!

Last edited:
To your question, Mets have a few quality catching prospects in the system, most notably Parada, but no one who is close to being ready.

They also have a couple of stopgap veterans, but no one who would be an upgrade over Nido.
Nido will be the backup, and we’ll move forward.

Fun fact du jour:

Remember Danny Mendick, who hit .185 with 1 HR in 65 AB's for the Mets last year? THAT Danny Mendick?

Well, that Met castoff has just homered in 5 consecutive games - all of them against the Mets!

Granted, he hit them for the AAA Charlotte Knights, and the team they were playing was the Syracuse Mets, but still quite an accomplishment.

I have no problem with Nido as my backup catcher..,

Don't know if it's possible to upgrade the backup catching position in Alvarez' absence at this juncture - but hope Stearns does it if possible.

Nido is a hustler; adequate defensively but awful at the plate

Shame Parada is nowhere near ready......He's hitting .190 in AA ball...ugh

Reactions: Knight Shift
I heard 6-8 weeks. Does that seem reasonable or way too aggressive?
I recall seeing that as being Alvarez' own projection, so who knows.

Plus there is the question of what that even means. 6-8 weeks until MLB activation? Or 6-8 weeks until resumption of baseball activities, in which case you can add on a couple more weeks.

• Sad
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Michael Busch breaking out with the Cubs after the Dodgers traded him is why you don't get rid of Vientos because he's blocked in the majors. The Dodgers bottom of the order is struggling and they got rid of Busch because they were bored of him, now the Cubs are benefitting.

Michael Busch breaking out with the Cubs after the Dodgers traded him is why you don't get rid of Vientos because he's blocked in the majors. The Dodgers bottom of the order is struggling and they got rid of Busch because they were bored of him, now the Cubs are benefitting.
The trick with decisions like this and, frankly, building a system is to evaluate players well. The focus isn't on whether to give up on a player. The focus is on getting your evaluations right more often than your competitors. Then make good decisions based on those evaluations.

Hyper-focusing on young talent and your system means nothing without good evaluations and, at times, good transactions based on those evaluations. Didn't the Cubs give up young talent for Busch? Was that wrong? Are you sure Busch is going to be good long term? And so on.

Right now, I'm just relying on Stearns and his team. Because one thing I know is that I don't know anything.

The trick with decisions like this and, frankly, building a system is to evaluate players well. The focus isn't on whether to give up on a player. The focus is on getting your evaluations right more often than your competitors. Then make good decisions based on those evaluations.

Hyper-focusing on young talent and your system means nothing without good evaluations and, at times, good transactions based on those evaluations. Didn't the Cubs give up young talent for Busch? Was that wrong? Are you sure Busch is going to be good long term? And so on.

Right now, I'm just relying on Stearns and his team. Because one thing I know is that I don't know anything.
I know that hindsight is 20/20.

Apr. 14, 1964 - Station WOR-TV will add color to the New York Mets this season. About $400,000 worth of color television equipment has been installed in Shea Stadium, the new home of the Mets, which opens Friday afternoon. All 81 home games and some road games of the Mets will be televised in color over Channel 9.
Orville Sather, chief engineer for WOR-TV, said a special type of lighting that permitted the best possible color reproduction had been installed in the stadium because of the night color broadcasts. In theory, the color quality at night should be no different from that during the day games, he said.
The station will have six color cameras at Shea Stadium — four for covering the field and two in a large studio underneath the stands. Three of the field cameras will be positioned in the press box behind home plate, first, and third base, and the other will be at ground level behind home plate.

The injuries are pretty significant at this point--Senga, Martinez, Alvarez, Raley. It may start showing up in the W/L column. Martinez arriving at the end of the week would, of course, temper that some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT