ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official NFL Draft First Four Pick Speculation Thread

MorrisAsh

All Conference
Dec 5, 2015
Morristown
Given the fact that the Giants and Jets are drafting #2 and #3 overall and sandwiched by the Browns in the first round, it might be interesting to have a running discussion about who the Jets and Giants end up drafting.

My bet is that the Giants don't trade down from #2.

This is the way I see this shaking out:
#1: Browns, because they are the Browns, won't take a QB with the first pick. They take former RU commit Saquan Barkley

#2: Giants don't trade with the Bills out of their pick and take Sam Darnold. A big mature kid who will be fine with sitting and learning NFL QB decision making processes over 2018 and part of 2019. Giants had 7 people at Darnold's Pro Day at USC

#3: Jets take Rosen. Safer pick among Allen, Mayfield.

#4: Browns take Allen and hope that their offense is set for the next 10 years.

It is also possible that the Broncos trade up with the Giants from #5 to #2 and the Giants take Chubb and draft an OL with the extra 2nd round and extra 3rd round pick.

That being said, I hope the Giants draft Darnold with the #2. I don't want Rosen. Injury and personality issues.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Darnold goes #1 to the Browns. Rosen-Allen-Mayfield go in some combination to whoever ends up with those next 3 picks. Browns take Barkley after moving down another spot. Giants take Nelson or Chubb at 6.

I think the Giants want Darnold or no one and all the talk about not wanting a QB and preferring the other guys is set up to entice the Browns to not go QB at #1.

It is also possible that the Broncos trade up with the Giants from #5 to #2 and the Giants take Chubb and draft an OL with the extra 2nd round and extra 3rd round pick.

That being said, I hope the Giants draft Darnold with the #2. I don't want Rosen. Injury and personality issues.
Yeah, that darn Rosen. Reminds me of another outspoken college athlete, Bill Walton, who couldn't keep his mouth shut. How'd that work out for Bill? I say no-no to any college kid who actually has ideas or opinions about anything other than sports. Geez, he might even have an opinion about social or political issues, and that's not why we draft young men.

Yeah, that darn Rosen. Reminds me of another outspoken college athlete, Bill Walton, who couldn't keep his mouth shut. How'd that work out for Bill? I say no-no to any college kid who actually has ideas or opinions about anything other than sports. Geez, he might even have an opinion about social or political issues, and that's not why we draft young men.
"
There were some comments made by anonymous General Managers and personnel executives.

"When speaking about the signal caller, at least two general managers have said “stay away.” One general manager, whose team will likely end up with a top-12 selection and needs a quarterback, said he would not select him from his early off-the-field evaluations.

Opinions are that Rosen is not the leader they need on the field for the next level -- the things he’s gotten away with on the college field won’t fly in the NFL. The word egotistical was mentioned many times in referring to Rosen.

One scout says anyone scared off by Rosen's direct and brutally honest personality "should have their head examined—it's football, not your local f--king co-op"—but cautions that Rosen's path could mirror that of Hackenberg: a huge recruit who never got better in college and is now "just a guy" in the NFL.

One scout says Rosen doesn't have a love for the game—that he lacks a certain fire and passion."

I don't want the Giants to touch this guy. Always getting hurt: concussions, shoulder surgery and often a distraction.

And no, it's not just about his big mouth. Bill Walton came out of college basketball as one of the greatest to ever play that sport. Rosen isn't coming out as the best at his position for that one year.

If faced with Barkley and Rosen, Giants will definitely go Barkley. If faced with Darnold and Rosen, Giants will definitly go Darnold.

Jets will have an interesting decision at #3 but they could possibly take Allen, having Rosen fall to #4 or possibly #5.

Last edited:
1. Browns Darnold
2. Giants Nelson
3. Jets Rosen
4. Browns Barkley

If the Giants want Nelson, they'd trade down to Denver and take him there.

Darnold
Barkley
Allen
Chubb
Also very likely. Then Denver would have to decide on Rosen or Mayfield or Minkah Fitzpatrick. If Denver takes Fitzpatrick, who could be a Pro Bowler very quickly, Rosen and Mayfield would drop to the 11 and 12 spots very quickly.

As a Giants fan, I hope they trade down because I do not love any of the QB's and I do not believe Barkley will be great. Good but not worthy of top 3 pick. Too many college teams were able to contain him. Trade down, go for linemen, maybe if one of the good QB's is still there, take him

The Giants are doing lots of looking at QB's and lots of talking about not taking a QB. I think this means they are taking a QB and will stay put. If they want Chubb or Nelson they can trade down to 5 and get either.

I am not in love with any of the quarterbacks and, while they won’t all bust, they each have question marks that can lead to a bust (unlike say, an Andrew Luck who was a sure thing to be at least a decent NFL QB).

Unfortunately, the Jet’s push to draft a QB this year reminds me of when the Yankees would end up with guys like Jared Wright or Ed Whitson, because their available cash and a huge need for pitching matched up with a bad year of FA pitchers.

I'm playing it safe:
1. Browns - Darnold
2. Giants - Rosen (They don't trade the pick and are bluffing with any non-QB smokescreen)
3. Jets - Allen (Think they should think out-of-the-box and draft Mayfield)
4. Browns - Barkley
5. Broncos - Mayfield
6. Colts - Chubb

Reactions: RUfubar
If the Browns select Barkley, the Giants should trade with Denver and get Nelson. If Denver doesn't bite, trade with Buffalo, you won't get Nelson but you'll have an opportunity to still get a solid OL. I think Denver makes the trade with the Giants because if someone else moves into the slot, then most likely 3 QBs will be off the board before they select.
If the Browns pass on Barkley, grab him.

Reactions: MorrisAsh
Well, now that the Giants have traded JPP to the Bucs, I think it's clear they're not taking a QB. So do they take Chubb at 2, or trade the pick to Denver, take him at 5 and get an offensive lineman with the extra 2nd rounder?

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Browns draft Darnold and the Giants get on the phones immediately with Jets, Denver, Buffalo and others to trade pick.

Looking like Browns take Darnold #1 overall. People have been trying to talk him down since the start of the '17 football season, but I honestly believe he's really a generational player. Jimmy Haslam sat with Sam's parents at USC's pro day where he was effortlessly throwing it 60 yards in a driving rain, by all reports. Giants are at 2 clearly targeting Chubb. Jets we figure are taking a QB. They didn't trade up for Mayfield; I figure it's Rosen.

So the conventional wisdom would have the first five shake out like this:
Browns 1- Darnold,
Giants 2- Chubb
Jets 3- Rosen
Browns 4- Barkley
Broncos 5- Allen.

If the Broncos want Allen, they can sit tight where they are. If they want to get Rosen or Barkley, they would have to trade up, and it could really go off the rails from there. Jets sure gave up a lot to move to 3, would they really want to take the 3rd best QB on their board? Would they go off the board, hoping for the best with Bridgewater and take Barkley? That would throw the Cleveland plan into chaos at 4. Now who do they take? Nelson seems like the best fit for their needs, but the dropoff from round 1 to 2 at guard is nowhere near what it is for DE; Chubb is supposed to be that much better than the rest of the ends.

Difference between what you think will happen and what you want to happen. I'm a Giants and Browns fan (born in northern Ohio), and I really want Barkley and Darnold to end up with those two teams. What do I think will happen?

Browns: Darnold
Giants: Chubb (driving me wild)
Jets: Rosen
Browns: Barkley

This draft could bring the Browns back in to relevance in three years.

I'd rather Allen than Rosen I think. But what do I know? I just hope the QB the Jets draft works out. Would suck paying the big price to move up just to choose wrong.

Difference between what you think will happen and what you want to happen. I'm a Giants and Browns fan (born in northern Ohio), and I really want Barkley and Darnold to end up with those two teams. What do I think will happen?

Browns: Darnold
Giants: Chubb (driving me wild)
Jets: Rosen
Browns: Barkley

This draft could bring the Browns back in to relevance in three years.
I would be shocked if the Browns select Darnold and Barkley.....it just makes too make sense! Browns will screw it up somehow.

If the Giants like a QB, when it comes to their pick, then they should take him. When Eli is about to retire I doubt the Giants will be in as good a position to draft a potential franchise QB and we all know how hard it is to get one(just ask the Jets). So pick the QB and use other picks to bring in some O-linemen because if you improve the Giants o-line, up to average(from very poor), you will win games with the offensive skill alone.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
if Browns go Barkley #1 overall, how ironic that the superstar LA QBs both end up in NJ.

Reactions: RUfubar
First and foremost the Giants must address the OL.

Well, they did just sign a super professional and good LT which ends up helping the LG as well. And while Nelson sounds like a can't miss...you dont take a OG at 2 or 5...Wouldn't take Chubb there either...maybe Chubb at 5 but not Nelson. One thing for sure...Giants have their full poker face on for this draft.

I would be shocked if the Browns select Darnold and Barkley.....it just makes too make sense! Browns will screw it up somehow.
They need to bring back Paul Brown and Jimmy Brown. How can they not figure out the secret to making the Browns good? Lots of guys named Brown.

But not with the #2 pick in the draft. If you don't have a QB, you don't have a competitive team no matter how good your left guard is.
Chicken or egg thing. If you don't have a decent OL your offense will not be competitive.

Well, they did just sign a super professional and good LT which ends up helping the LG as well. And while Nelson sounds like a can't miss...you dont take a OG at 2 or 5...Wouldn't take Chubb there either...maybe Chubb at 5 but not Nelson. One thing for sure...Giants have their full poker face on for this draft.
It sounds like the Giants have a real interest in Darnold, but only Darnold, out of the 4 qbs. They are probably hesitant to trade out before the draft and have the Browns take someone else at #1 and have missed their chance at Darnold.

They should just make a real effort to trade into the #1 spot and take the qb they like, then (if the Browns won't do it) trade with the Bills for the #12, #22 and other picks, and pick from the edge guys like Landry/Davenport and RBs like Guice (or OL) that are value for those draft positions

It sounds like the Giants have a real interest in Darnold, but only Darnold, out of the 4 qbs. They are probably hesitant to trade out before the draft and have the Browns take someone else at #1 and have missed their chance at Darnold.

They should just make a real effort to trade into the #1 spot and take the qb they like, then (if the Browns won't do it) trade with the Bills for the #12, #22 and other picks, and pick from the edge guys like Landry/Davenport and RBs like Guice (or OL) that are value for those draft positions
There is no doubt why everyone was fired...on the other hand...it may be a blessing in disguise as none knows what they are going to do. We and they would have loved to see Webb in a real game but....They have seen Webb in real practice against NFL players. that is worth so much more than a pro day or combine. So, they do know what they plan to do..1) Webb is their guy for 15 years or they go QB...If it is Webb, they trade down...they will not have a top 5 pick again in a very long time.

The problem is that you need about 8 good offensive linemen to have a good line, and 1 QB to have a good QB. Cannot spend a #2 pick on a guard.
Raiders spent the #2 pick on Robert Gallery the same year that Eli came out. The top eight picks in the draft that year were all pro-bowlers at some point except for Gallery. I agree, taking OL with the #2 is just silly.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Each of the QBs has their question marks. I'd stay away from Rosen due to his injury history alone. I'd like Mayfield more, but somebody has to prove to me that a Big12 QB can make it in the pros before I'll select one--they don't have to read defenses. Not sure if Allen can play in the big time. Barkley is a true talent, but a shorter shelf life as a RB than a good QB, Chubb or Nelson, so I quesiton the valuue if you have needs elsewhere.

1. Browns: Darnold, unless they're trying to maintain their long history of poor drafting.
2. Giants: Chubb, unless Cleveland is stupid or Denver wants to trade up (I wouldn't drop to the Bills' choices)--in which case they may get Chubb anyway and maybe one of the second-tier QBs drops to the 2nd round.
3. Jets: Talk about stupid draft history, they'll draft a QB and I pray it's not Rosen. I'd rather have Allen or have them take a flier on Mayfield.
4. Browns: Barkley, if they're smart enough to draft Darnold at #1
5. Denver: Allen, even if they have to trade up to #2 to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT