ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OJ Died

That was bs. OJ Simpson was hardly revered in the black community in the last quarter of his life. He might have started off there but he was gone long before. I was already a Bills fan before OJ was drafted and like many kids back then he was the man to me. The Juice. 30 years later The Juice was gone. All poured out. And O.J. Simpson was viewed by many as a sellout.
Thanks -- that's very important. Keep in mind that O.J.'s career lasted through 1979. When did he become regarded as a sellout, and why? Keep in mind also there's a difference between regarding someone as a sellout and regarding a prosecution of him by white people as justified.

Reactions: bac2therac
OJ's trial put the Kardasian family on the national map lol

Too young to have watched OJ play, but his highlights were truly awesome.
As a RB- maybe top 3 in history.
The man was just a beast with speed. The Bills were on TV more than the Jets so tgat team was mine.
And Braxton was a beast blocking for him. There was a play, don’t remember tge team..,but pretty much all 11 defense were in a bunch on top of him and he just seemed to bust out of it with no effort.

The verdict was revenge for the Rodney King fiasco (among other bad things the LAPD had done), along with a shoddy prosecution team and high-powered defense attorney's.

Regardless, at the end of the day, everybody meets The Maker
Pretty sure there is a video interview from a few years ago with one of the jurors who admitted the verdict was payback for Rodney King.

As to your second sentence -- the man was as popular as can be while playing and acting. Everybody loved that dude. I still think of him when I'm hurrying through an airport...

He was synonymous with Hertz in the 70's.

He was synonymous with Hertz in the 70's.

Nicole's father actually owned a Hertz dealership.
Nicole wanted to stop talking to OJ but her dad asked her to tone it down due to his investment.

"Soon after O.J. Simpson was charged in January 1989 with assaulting his wife, Nicole, placed a telephone call to a man in New York who had helped make him a household name. ..

Nicole placed a telephone call to the Hertz chairman herself about incident and she belittled it - said it was not a big deal and there was nothing to it," recalled Brian Kennedy, Hertz's executive vice president of marketing and sales...

Kennedy said that Hertz looked into the incident seriously and was swayed when NBC renewed his contract and other sponsors followed. He also pointed out that Nicole's father ran a Hertz franchise and did not seem concerned.

"Both parties said it was nothing, and the press did little with it, so we thought what happened was pretty much what they said," Kennedy said."

"https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...-a-star/fcee117c-d7c1-442c-a46a-da3f3e797488/

Ha ha, yeah, I've never understood how their father being a member of OJ's defense team was a springboard for that family into mainstream media stardom.

Kim's big butt and a sodomy tape with a rapper is what made her career

OJ's trial put the Kardasian family on the national map lol

Too young to have watched OJ play, but his highlights were truly awesome.

As a little kid I was at the NYJ game where he broke Brown's season record and went over 2000 yds.
I didn't really care, because I wasn't a football fan yet and it was cold as heck - COLD!.

OJ ran a 9.3 100 yd dash in college when the record was 9.1
He was big, fast, strong and had moves.
He reminded me of Brown in that physically he was on another level compared to others on the field

Remember that in a criminal prosecution, preponderance of the evidence is not enough; a conviction requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The civil case was successful because only a preponderance of the evidence is needed there, and so O.J. was held liable.

Having as an investigator a cop who lied about his past statements about race was a big problem for the prosecution in convincing a mostly-black jury.
OJ's defense team did a brilliant job of shaping the narrative that he was framed. And he was. As one analyst put it "They framed a guilty man".

I remember a comment made to me by a Black executive with whom I worked at the time. He was quietly jubilant about the verdict. He said something like "Hey, I'm not an idiot. I know he's guilty. But if it takes a guilty man to go free to shake up the justice system in this country, then I'm all for it."

This case started the breathless tv voberage on cable news. I was hooked. I watched all of it....from morning to afternoon to nightmare wrap ups. Many personalities/lawyers of today go that their tv starts with the OJ trial...many of them appeared on Geraldos show. Half took the side OJ was the killer. Half tried to pretend and say he was innocent. First time I saw the likes of Greta Van Sustern, Jeanine Perrio, Leroy Turrel, and even a young Kelly Anne Conway did OJ trial panels. Everything you see today on cable news came from this trial as it totally revolutionized the industry and interests in trials. CNN was in its heyday

OJ's defense team did a brilliant job of shaping the narrative that he was framed. And he was. As one analyst put it "They framed a guilty man".

I remember a comment made to me by a Black executive with whom I worked at the time. He was quietly jubilant about the verdict. He said something like "Hey, I'm not an idiot. I know he's guilty. But if it takes a guilty man to go free to shake up the justice system in this country, then I'm all for it."
Sad that people think that way. And a national media outlet too. Crime never pays, especially getting away with murder.

The only problem is that acquitting him did nothing "to shake up the justice system," nor was there any possibility that it would. All acquitting him did was to let a guy who could afford expensive lawyers go unpunished for murder. Perhaps it was a symbolic victory for the Black community, but it's hard to see what that victory accomplished.

Detective Fuhrman showing his true colors didn’t help the prosecution. A closet racist who made a fool of himself in this case. He didn’t have the CE board to cower and hide while he spouted his hate. The internet wasn’t around for him to hide him.

This case started the breathless tv voberage on cable news. I was hooked. I watched all of it....from morning to afternoon to nightmare wrap ups. Many personalities/lawyers of today go that their tv starts with the OJ trial...many of them appeared on Geraldos show. Half took the side OJ was the killer. Half tried to pretend and say he was innocent. First time I saw the likes of Greta Van Sustern, Jeanine Perrio, Leroy Turrel, and even a young Kelly Anne Conway did OJ trial panels. Everything you see today on cable news came from this trial as it totally revolutionized the industry and interests in trials. CNN was in its heyday
I barely watched any of the coverage. I watched some of the car "chase", but after 15 minutes, that got old.

I didn't watch or read hardly any of the constant news stories about the trial. It was all rehashing the same speculative crap, not really informative so much as rumor mongering. I found the whole thing irritating, like didn't we have anything better to talk about?

Ironically, back then, I was waaay more interested in watching every bit of political news I could get, all across the various media outlets and the political spectrum. I was a total politics junky for a while.

Boy have times changed. I haven't watched or read anything about politics since just after the 2020 elections. And, not participating in the CE board anymore, I don't even see video clips or silly chatter about it anymore.

Not to sound like a reformed smoker, but cutting out all that ridiculously inane, totally useless, massively time-wasting, yet somehow addicting, crap out entirely is one of the best decisions of my life. 🙂

The only problem is that acquitting him did nothing "to shake up the justice system," nor was there any possibility that it would. All acquitting him did was to let a guy who could afford expensive lawyers go unpunished for murder. Perhaps it was a symbolic victory for the Black community, but it's hard to see what that victory accomplished.
what it did was show how an incompetent, inept, arrogant and overconfident prosecution could do.
Take a winnable case and turn it into a loser.
From the site of trial to the jury selection the the prosecution gave OJ's defense all they needed to gain the edge and then , for good measure , fouled up their case the way they handled it.

Reactions: retired711
what it did was show how an incompetent, inept, arrogant and overconfident prosecution could do.
Take a winnable case and turn it into a loser.
From the site of trial to the jury selection the the prosecution gave OJ's defense all they needed to gain the edge and then , for good measure , fouled up their case the way they handled it.
This…slightly competent prosecution would have had this murderer in jail until he kicked the bucket.

RIP Ron and Nicole…

It was jury nullification and the media circus contributed to the narrative he was framed

Prosecutors were not only battling Johnnie Cochran but the public spins being put out there

Oh and Ito was an embarrassment

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
It was jury nullification and the media circus contributed to the narrative he was framed

Prosecutors were not only battling Johnnie Cochran but the public spins being put out there

I shouldn't be cynical, but one thing to keep in mind is that district attorneys in California are elected. The incumbent district attorney, Gil Garcertti, narrowly won re-election in 1996 after the O.J. verdict; he carried the black vote handily, and lost among white voters. He is half-Hispanic and so did well among those voters. Did he think, perhaps, that losing the case would not hurt him and might even help him politically? Probably not, but who knows? His son, by the way, went on to serve two terms as mayor of Los Angeles.

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/news/9611/22/2schneider.pow/

That is in a nutshell why I always hated the narrative surrounding this case. It became a referendum on these greater issues, but at its core, this always was a brutal, textbook domestic violence case. An opportunity to educate about that was lost and the victims became background figures. They are not. They mattered to many people.

Reactions: batts and patk89
Thanks -- that's very important. Keep in mind that O.J.'s career lasted through 1979. When did he become regarded as a sellout, and why? Keep in mind also there's a difference between regarding someone as a sellout and regarding a prosecution of him by white people as justified.
OJ had what might best be described as a complex relationship with the black community. This long article explains it better than I could here. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/oj/themes/blacksoj.html

Oh and OJ was a MURDERER…that’s the most salient point in all of this. A disgusting, vile, wretched turd that should have withered away in jail for the murders that POS committed.

• Wow
Reactions: miket007 and Kbee3
I shouldn't be cynical, but one thing to keep in mind is that district attorneys in California are elected. The incumbent district attorney, Gil Garcertti, narrowly won re-election in 1996 after the O.J. verdict; he carried the black vote handily, and lost among white voters. He is half-Hispanic and so did well among those voters. Did he think, perhaps, that losing the case would not hurt him and might even help him politically? Probably not, but who knows? His son, by the way, went on to serve two terms as mayor of Los Angeles.

https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/news/9611/22/2schneider.pow/

LA prosecutors also lost the Rodney King case prior to this.

Marcia Clark certainly seemed competent enough but not sure her supporting cast were. I dont think anything they could have done would have changed the outcome short of moving the case

Also it was way different times now vs then. Good lord they were commenting on Clarks looks and hairstyle. Although in some ways with social media like it is today it would be the same verdict today just look at recent cases in DC and selective prosecution

Marcia Clark certainly seemed competent enough but not sure her supporting cast were. I dont think anything they could have done would have changed the outcome short of moving the case
The prosecution of the Rodney King cops was not in state court the way the Simpson case was, but rather in federal district court. So the L.A. county D.A. did not handle the case. Instead the U.S. Attorney (appointed by the President) did. Federal districts cover a rather large area and so the jury in the cops case was drawn from a larger vicinity.

Ha ha, yeah, I've never understood how their father being a member of OJ's defense team was a springboard for that family into mainstream media stardom.

As to your second sentence -- the man was as popular as can be while playing and acting. Everybody loved that dude. I still think of him when I'm hurrying through an airport...
Yeah that I wasn't too young for haha. I recall him at NBC as well as in the Naked Gun films. Hertz commercial too

As a RB- maybe top 3 in history.
The man was just a beast with speed. The Bills were on TV more than the Jets so tgat team was mine.
And Braxton was a beast blocking for him. There was a play, don’t remember tge team..,but pretty much all 11 defense were in a bunch on top of him and he just seemed to bust out of it with no effort.
Yeah when I saw his highlights I felt the same way, only RB clearly better were Barry and Bo. Everyone else you can make an argument.

In beginning, large majorities of white people believed OJ innocent - media spun that around. Reporting on domestic disputes were taken as evidence of murder. Alas, the murder scene itself is what stuck in jurors minds. I'm not sure people actually saw the mess. Nobody in that fight jumped in their car with a little spot of blood.

Google search pics link below (need to disable SafeSearch in upper right corner). The lack of blood stuck with jurors as much as gloves. The jurors were actually pretty smart (far from a DC fed court jury)

Detective Fuhrman showing his true colors didn’t help the prosecution. A closet racist who made a fool of himself in this case. He didn’t have the CE board to cower and hide while he spouted his hate. The internet wasn’t around for him to hide him.
Says the man/woman/trans hiding behind a fake picture(or is that you?) and screen name.
Grow up and stay on topic.
A murderer is dead. Cheers to that! I’m sorry he didn’t die sooner.

Edit: I apologize to everyone for engaging with this fat cat. It’s been a day. lol

Last edited:
In beginning, large majorities of white people believed OJ innocent - media spun that around. Reporting on domestic disputes were taken as evidence of murder. Alas, the murder scene itself is what stuck in jurors minds. I'm not sure people actually saw the mess. Nobody in that fight jumped in their car with a little spot of blood.

Google search pics link below (need to disable SafeSearch in upper right corner). The lack of blood stuck with jurors as much as gloves. The jurors were actually pretty smart (far from a DC fed court jury)

You couldn’t be more wrong . No one thought OJ was innocent in June 94

The murders occurred in the Santa Monica Judicial District, but the DA moved the Case to downtown LA.
Clark made too many mistakes and left a lot to be desired in her checking how the evidence was handled and who she put on the stand .
Darden was part of the team that couldn't get a conviction of Al Cowilings, the driver in the " high speed : chase , before he was put on the OJ trial team
Also while the trial was going on Marsha Clark was fighting her ex husband over custody of their children .It was a bitter fight and her long hours working the case the ex tried to use against her.
Her ex mother in law sold revealing photos of her to a tabloid and the way she dressed and looked was the subject in some media stories .
Clark had a lot going on she had to overcome during the trial and that might have showed in the way it was handled.

Says the man/woman/trans hiding behind a fake picture(or is that you?) and screen name.
Grow up and stay on topic.
A murderer is dead. Cheers to that! I’m sorry he didn’t die sooner.

Edit: I apologize to everyone for engaging with this fat cat. It’s been a day. lol
I have him on "ignore." I suggest you do the same. He's not worth your energy.

You couldn’t be more wrong . No one thought OJ was innocent in June 94

As Taylor Swift would say "I was there."
I imagine where people lived and who they knew would shape opinions
People didn't have the venom they acquired to this day.
Part of scene was 90s race stuff.
Early 90s had Crown Heights Riot, Howard Beach, Million Man March, Sharpton stabbing and such
"Law and Order" was an escalating issue that culminated in congressional passage of crime bill.
OJ was right in middle of all that, and white people were progressively resenting the black people cheering on OJ. Most of the black people I spoke to (and I lived with them) mentioned the blood discrepancy

"NEW YORK, July 25 -- Close to half of 750 New Yorkers questioned last week do not believe that O.J. Simpson is guilty of murder, but more blacks than whites and more men than women say the former football great is innocent, a poll reported Monday. The poll, conducted by Louis Harris and Associates for New York's Daily News, found that 47 percent of those polled said Simpson did not kill his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, or her companion, Ronald Goldman. Thirty percent said he did, and 23 percent said they were not sure. Difference of opinion was especially dramatic along racial lines, as they have been in other polls. Among blacks, 70 percent said Simpson is innocent and only 7 percent believed he was guilty."

As Taylor Swift would say "I was there."
I imagine where people lived and who they knew would shape opinions
People didn't have the venom they acquired to this day.
Part of scene was 90s race stuff.
Early 90s had Crown Heights Riot, Howard Beach, Million Man March, Sharpton stabbing and such
"Law and Order" was an escalating issue that culminated in congressional passage of crime bill.
OJ was right in middle of all that, and white people were progressively resenting the black people cheering on OJ. Most of the black people I spoke to (and I lived with them) mentioned the blood discrepancy

"NEW YORK, July 25 -- Close to half of 750 New Yorkers questioned last week do not believe that O.J. Simpson is guilty of murder, but more blacks than whites and more men than women say the former football great is innocent, a poll reported Monday. The poll, conducted by Louis Harris and Associates for New York's Daily News, found that 47 percent of those polled said Simpson did not kill his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, or her companion, Ronald Goldman. Thirty percent said he did, and 23 percent said they were not sure. Difference of opinion was especially dramatic along racial lines, as they have been in other polls. Among blacks, 70 percent said Simpson is innocent and only 7 percent believed he was guilty."

Do you think he was innocent?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT