ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Oldest Buildings In Each State

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Looks like Jersey's in third place, depending on how you calculate the ranges. Noboby's getting close to New Mexico in this one, though.

Linky

That is an awesome list. Love that kind of thing, and it would strike many as ironic that the oldest building in Nevada is not a brothel but a Mormon fort, just north of downtown Las Vegas.

Even most New Jersey residents (and natives) tend to forget -- if they ever knew -- that the Swedes were early settlers in southern New Jersey, and I didn't know that New Sweden included Finnish settlers. Guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

Thanks for the link. Great list.

Interesting that even back then they had access to aluminum gutter technology!

Originally posted by BoroKnight:
That is an awesome list. Love that kind of thing, and it would strike many as ironic that the oldest building in Nevada is not a brothel but a Mormon fort, just north of downtown Las Vegas.

Even most New Jersey residents (and natives) tend to forget -- if they ever knew -- that the Swedes were early settlers in southern New Jersey, and I didn't know that New Sweden included Finnish settlers. Guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it did.

My pleasure. And that list was the first time I had heard that Fins settled part of NJ. Of course we all know about the Dutch, but the Fins? Consider me educated.

Funny you should post this... I was late-night Wikipeding one night about 3 months ago and I started reading up on this stuff after seeing a link very similar to this. Turns out that house is like 15 minutes from where I live, so the next day I took my Canon, hopped in the car and cruised over by it to take some photos. There's a church parking lot right across the street so I shot some from there, and some just pulled over on the side of the road.

Thought it was pretty cool that the third-oldest residential dwelling is only a short car ride form my house.

Also, what I believe is the second oldest active "inn" is also down here in South Jersey. I'll post again with the info on that in a minute, but it's right outside of the state forest down here.

This post was edited on 3/16 3:56 PM by DirtyRU

Side note (this is not my inn post)... but here's a list from the same site you linked to with the oldest active bars in each state. And wouldn't you know, the Barnsboro Inn is about 10 minutes from my house, if that, ha! Different direction/town than the oldes house, but yeah, lots of history down here in South Jersey. And this is coming from a guy who grew up in Ridgewood, so I know just how much history is up north, too.
wink.r191677.gif

Anyway, see link:

This post was edited on 3/16 3:50 PM by DirtyRU

Oldest Bars In Each State...

Inn is called Ye Olde Centerton Inn and it's in Pittsgrove, just on the outskirts of Parvin State Forest (and across the street from a very cool historic deli I might add). Supposedly it is the second oldest active in in the U.S. Here's a link:

Ye Olde Centerton Inn...

As an aside, I see the oldest house in NJ is called the Nothnagle house. I think Phillipsburg has a wrestler with a similar last name who could be an RU target in the future.

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

Originally posted by BoroKnight:

My pleasure. And that list was the first time I had heard that Fins settled part of NJ. Of course we all know about the Dutch, but the Fins? Consider me educated.
The New Sweden Colony was established along the banks of the Delaware in territory already claimed by the New Netherlands Colony. The Dutch took it back by force after about 30 years or so.

Many of the Swedes were actually Fins, as Finland was under Sweden's control at the time.

During it's existence, New Sweden, in an alliance with the Susquehannock(sp?) Indians, fought a war against the colony of Maryland.

Gloucester County is sometimes described as having lived "under four flags", those being The Netherlands, Sweden, Great Britain, and the USA.

Thanks Scarlet16E, it looks like the Maryland rivalry goes back a lot farther then I realized.

Odd to me that aside from New Mexico, this list absolutely refuses to acknowledge Native American construction, like the Cahokia Mounds or the Anasazi ruins.

Originally posted by RUSK97:
Odd to me that aside from New Mexico, this list absolutely refuses to acknowledge Native American construction, like the Cahokia Mounds or the Anasazi ruins.
This list is the oldest existing buildings (meaning they are still standing).

Yes, it is and even more surprising, perhaps, is that it neglected to mention Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico. Also known as the "sky city," Acoma is perched atop a mesa and has been occupied since around 1000, though in recent decades most occupants are there just part-time. It's an awesome place, just 40 miles or so west of Albuquerque.

Continuing on the New Mexico theme, another possible error is calling Indiana's oldest building - its territorial capital - the oldest public structure in the country. I had always heard that the Palace of the Governors, on the main plaza in Santa Fe, is the oldest.

The biggest surprise is that Georgia's oldest building was not a jailhouse, since it was founded as a British penal colony.

The Finnish story is an interesting one, almost a miraculous one. It was ruled by Sweden for a few centuries and 6% of the population speaks Swedish as their first language, so the country is officially bi-lingual. That's really helpful, if you're there, since Swedish is a Germanic language like English, with which we share many cognates. Finnish, on the other hand, is a Central Asian language in the Uralic-Altaic family, having no relationship to English at all. Sweden lost Finland to Tsarist Russia during the Napoleonic Wars but the real Finnish miracle came during the Russian Revolution in 1917 when Finland successfully separated itself from Russia before it became the Soviet Union. The last century would have been very different for the Finns had that not happened.

Thanks to the OP for a very interesting thread.

One of oldest buildings around me began as a hunting lodge in 1670s - it was built up to be a Dutch manor house by the Van Cortlandt's. One of them, Pierre Van Cortlandt Jr., graduated from Queens in 1783. The house is a museum now and has become nationally famous the last ten years for Halloween event called "Jack O' Lantern Blaze". Gets 100k people over 6 weeks. Saw Laura Prepon there last year. Kids love it..worth an hour drive.

7 Halloween events you won’t want to miss

Originally posted by ecojew:
Yes, it is and even more surprising, perhaps, is that it neglected to mention Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico. Also known as the "sky city," Acoma is perched atop a mesa and has been occupied since around 1000, though in recent decades most occupants are there just part-time. It's an awesome place, just 40 miles or so west of Albuquerque.

Continuing on the New Mexico theme, another possible error is calling Indiana's oldest building - its territorial capital - the oldest public structure in the country. I had always heard that the Palace of the Governors, on the main plaza in Santa Fe, is the oldest.

The biggest surprise is that Georgia's oldest building was not a jailhouse, since it was founded as a British penal colony.

The Finnish story is an interesting one, almost a miraculous one. It was ruled by Sweden for a few centuries and 6% of the population speaks Swedish as their first language, so the country is officially bi-lingual. That's really helpful, if you're there, since Swedish is a Germanic language like English, with which we share many cognates. Finnish, on the other hand, is a Central Asian language in the Uralic-Altaic family, having no relationship to English at all. Sweden lost Finland to Tsarist Russia during the Napoleonic Wars but the real Finnish miracle came during the Russian Revolution in 1917 when Finland successfully separated itself from Russia before it became the Soviet Union. The last century would have been very different for the Finns had that not happened.

eco,

My pleasure, and at the risk of overdoing sending recommendations your way, given your penchant for erudition, I supplied a link below to a seminar I listened to about five years ago titled, The History of the English Language, by Seth Lerer, who is an excellent teacher. IIRC the seminar is about 12 hours long in half-hour segments, and it's great to listen to these sorts of things while driving somewhere. He traces parts of our language back to places I didn't know it could be traced, including wars, the losers of which were sometimes forced to cease speaking their native language, but it would resurface eventually somewhere else, etc. Even involves how we form language and how our diction differs from, and is similar to, early and middle English. I didn't know this until a friend pointed it out about five years ago after I was describing a seminar I had listened to, titled, Building Great Sentences, and I was half ecstatic about what can be done with a comma to change modifying and subordinate clauses, at which point he said, "You really are a nerd."

I had never considered myself that, but based on what I was excited about I had to yield to the truth. Onward and upward!

History of the English Language

That's one of the great things about living in NM…the history in this state is incredible, along with the weather, scenic beauty and lack of traffic.

I'm about 20 mins away from that building, I'll have to go check it out sometime. Pretty cool link.

Originally posted by ecojew:

The reason it did not list the place you mentioned is because it is only the current single oldest in each state. They consider taos Pueblo the oldest in new Mexico so no need to mention any others. Also not to nit pick but new mexico is in the south west not mid west with your Indiana point. But I am now interested in seeing the "sky city" so thank you for that bit of info.

NM has so may buildings older than other state's oldest building...it's incredible. To take nothing away from other state's oldest/ older buildings. All history is a treasure to be passed down to generations.

From Wikipedia...
The Palace of the Governors (1610) is an United States.

From me...
The Palace of the Governors (1610) was Spain's original seat of power (aka fort) in the American Southwest. It is a museum and it's incredible.

Love NM!

Not only does NM have the oldest structure we also have...

The Palace of the Governors which is the oldest continuously occupied public building in the United States.

it's incredible....you history buffs, come on down!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT