ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Burned Out Teachers in Here?

Not about my 43 1/2 year career… this is not about my choice… trust this though there were times when I thought about going into several other options on the table. I could have been a paid fireman… cop… attorney… and if you can believe it an RN… I was state certified as an LPN and seriously considered completing the BS in the nursing field and leaving business. But with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage I was already making excellent money at 24-25 so I stayed another 41 years. Clara Maas offered me an opportunity but I made a much better choice. Don’t blame anyone but yourself if not happy in any field… you have a choice.

Reactions: rufamily
Not about my 43 1/2 year career… this is not about my choice… trust this though there were times when I thought about going into several other options on the table. I could have been a paid fireman… cop… attorney… and if you can believe it an RN… I was state certified as an LPN and seriously considered completing the BS in the nursing field and leaving business. But with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage I was already making excellent money at 24-25 so I stayed another 41 years. Clara Maas offered me an opportunity but I made a much better choice. Don’t blame anyone but yourself if not happy in any field… you have a choice.
You didn’t answer the question. What did you do before retiring? Why bring up what you could have done?

Reactions: RuBird
admin is the main issue!!!!! the growth in positions, costs, power of the admin is outrageous
Monday night there was a school board meeting up in Washington TWP, Gloucester County (I was in AC) that got pretty raucous about current RIFing of teachers and aides when the district is already top-heavy with administrators, and even more so, with highly-paid staff in the central office. Apparently it didn't end until 1:30 a.m.

If someone has never worked in education and has kids who are in their 40s, that person hasn’t had first person experience with public schools in about 25 years. I wouldn’t spend any time debating with them. Especially if that someone is well known to be ill-informed, very opinionated and narrow-minded.

No sorry I know a great deal about summer school… I told you I have 2 teachers both in their 40’s who both have done summer school . You went into teaching after a “ burned out career” in private industry. You remember your late father and what he was subjected to but nonetheless you chose that field . Even still , your child goes into teaching. Sorry junior I don’t buy your childish reply. You want sympathy but don’t admit you hate your teaching job… you expect no negative backlash…. Wow…no wonder the profession is in tatters.👍🏻😎
Hey guy. Step back. Dont ever speak again of my late father. You call me “junior” but think my replay is childish.? Stoop to name calling to try to make a point. “Burned out career”. Again you act like you know me but you don’t. I got into teaching because BOTH my parents were teachers and loved what they did. I was proud of them. Still doesn’t mean summer school or education is easy. Profession in tatters? Really. Looking for sympathy? Please enough already.

If someone has never worked in education and has kids who are in their 40s, that person hasn’t had first person experience with public schools in about 25 years. I wouldn’t spend any time debating with them. Especially if that someone is well known to be ill-informed, very opinionated and narrow-minded.
So true. I agree with every word you said here.

Conditions today are nothing like they were. When I hear stories, I am constantly saying "I would have been suspended for that!" (I'm pretty sure I already said that upthread, sorry). It's amazing how kids feel like it's okay to be defiant and talk back.

With phones, righteous parents, lawyers, and a general backsliding of societal decorum, experiences from the past really have no bearing on or resemblance to today's conditions...

Or doesn’t answer questions when asked directly.😉

Monday night there was a school board meeting up in Washington TWP, Gloucester County (I was in AC) that got pretty raucous about current RIFing of teachers and aides when the district is already top-heavy with administrators, and even more so, with highly-paid staff in the central office. Apparently it didn't end until 1:30 a.m.
I get it, had been board affiliated for a long time in my town and those meetings can be very contentious

our previous super hated me as I was always pushing back on the expanding admin roles.costs and other things. always amazed me how dumb and gullible 'moms' could be (and board members for that matter)

Reactions: dconifer
Hey guy. Step back. Dont ever speak again of my late father. You call me “junior” but think my replay is childish.? Stoop to name calling to try to make a point. “Burned out career”. Again you act like you know me but you don’t. I got into teaching because BOTH my parents were teachers and loved what they did. I was proud of them. Still doesn’t mean summer school or education is easy. Profession in tatters? Really. Looking for sympathy? Please enough already.
You mentioned your father … you claimed he was attacked… you act like a child whining about your bad day but fail to mention the millions of others who have it worse. You are junior to me … I ‘m 74 … nobody said summer school was easy in 2023 but it’s not this world ending part time job. How many weeks 6-7. I may not know you personally but I know you are way over the top… don’t teach summer school… many teachers who worked for me over the years made more money and far less aggravation. You still need to answer this question… whose fault is this shatshow? Take it out on them. Teachers have a racket they always have.Watch them at the beach every summer. You know it… so stop complaining.. BTW: I said absolutely nothing out of line with your late father.

You mentioned your father … you claimed he was attacked… you act like a child whining about your bad day but fail to mention the millions of others who have it worse. You are junior to me … I ‘m 74 … nobody said summer school was easy in 2023 but it’s not this world ending part time job. How many weeks 6-7. I may not know you personally but I know you are way over the top… don’t teach summer school… many teachers who worked for me over the years made more money and far less aggravation. You still need to answer this question… whose fault is this shatshow? Take it out on them. Teachers have a racket they always have.Watch them at the beach every summer. You know it… so stop complaining.. BTW: I said absolutely nothing out of line with your late father.
Claimed? I stopped reading after that. Again you know nothing about me. You not a teacher so stop trying to tell those who are about our jobs.

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
You do realize you write like a 7 year old… maybe teaching is not your calling after all. I also realize texting can cause errors when typing away . Otherwise I think you need some professional expertise. Good Luck.

Got off your high horse. Cut the sh*t. Stop the insults. You came after me. Zero reason to.

If you're a teacher, you need to vent. That's the nature of the beast because there's little that can be done then just do your job. This thread was clearly meant to do that. Bob, you need to back off as he's not looking for your advice or opinion. Just my two cents.

Come on Bob there are single moms that are becoming real nurses RN’s with all of the above issues you had and more. It’s incredible that you can criticize teachers with all they do when you couldn’t man up and finish your degree to make more money for your family. This board is nuts sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-AGK
I didn’t insult anyone… if telling someone that they’re not the only people working (in any field ) who are frustrated in their job then shame on you. You have been given many benefits as a teacher. You need to ask people out of the teaching profession how great their jobs are. You may be surprised but honestly I doubt you would see the irony.

I didn’t insult anyone… if telling someone that they’re not the only people working (in any field ) who are frustrated in their job then shame on you. You have been given many benefits as a teacher. You need to ask people out of the teaching profession how great their jobs are. You may be surprised but honestly I doubt you would see the irony.

Haven't you been retired for 58 years, NRN Bob?

Maybe you're not the guy to make that particular point?

Reactions: RU-AGK
Come on Bob there are single moms that are becoming real nurses RN’s with all of the above issues you had and more. It’s incredible that you can criticize teachers with all they do when you couldn’t man up and finish your degree to make more money for your family. This board is nuts sometimes.
WTF are you talking about . We all have issues in our jobs at some point. As for RN … point was I was certified as an LPN but was making too much money in ‘74-‘75 ‘ to go back for a 2nd BS degree. You missed the point. I’m criticizing the whiners… they have a false sense of how valuable their position is. The funniest was the poor high school football coach who was being paid 13k … the OP thought that was not enough… if it’s not enough get a job at Jersey Mike’s Subs… I have a BS in Economics with a minor in history. I also have an MBA in Supply Chain Management. And yes came out of US Army and NJ certified as an LPN. I retired with over $ 1.2 mil 10 years ago and a free and clear home . I think you are the poster child for read what was written. You ASSume too much.

Last edited:
WTF are you talking about . We all have issues in our jobs at some point. As for RN … point was I was certified as an LPN but was making too much money in ‘74-‘75 ‘ to go back for a 2nd BS degree. You missed the point. I’m criticizing the whiners… they have a false sense of how valuable their position is. The funniest was the poor high school football coach who was being paid 13k … the OP thought that was not enough… if it’s not enough get a job at Jersey Mike’s Subs… I have a BS in Economics with a minor in history. I also have an MBA in Supply Chain Management. And yes came out of US Army and NJ certified as an LPN. I retired with over $ 1.2 mil 10 years ago and a free and clear home . I think you are the poster child for read what was written. You ASSume too much.
Flexing Los Angeles Dodgers GIF by MLB

That’s happening all over the state

How much of the blame do we assign to your teachers for how you turned out?

Nice retort. Throw out an insult instead of an argument. No wonder modern kids are uneducated if this is an example of the idiots we have "teaching" them. LOL.

So did their parents

Well of course but ya'll have them 7 hours a day. If you think you have no influence what are you doing there? If you think that influence has been positive I'd like to refer you to the NEA's positions on social issues.

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
Odd take. Do you give us credit for their success stories?

Sure. Are there any success stories anymore? I'm sure some of you are useful as teachers but you still support the entire education industry that fails way more than you succeed. There's entire school districts with entire grades that fail to pass. You keep happily paying into the union that owns that failure - hell is it even a failure if your policy isn't to teach but to indoctrinate? Look in the mirror. Are you proud of what the Dept of Ed and the NEA has achieved? If so I guess you're fine.

Where's the poster here trying to improve the teacher's union leadership, improve the Dept. of Ed

Wha - I'm burnt out because we got the result 40 years of undermining the American Culture in our classrooms now. It's your policies failing, not mine. Own it. You brought it on.

Easy pay day? You work in my district? May father rest his soul was the principal of a summer school for many years. Was threatened at different times with knives, guns, harm to my family etc etc…….. Again not easy now and not easy in the past as some may claim it to be. Never said I was leaving the field of teaching. Again venting different compared to leaving.
Why do you think the culture is so broken that your father had to deal with that? You guys support and donate to every policy that causes that kind of behavior. Your dad voted for it and paid union dues to support it. You're burnt out? Learn about cause and effect. I can't believe you guys are the same industry as teachers I grew up with. Just sad and so revealing.

Reactions: RUBOB72

It's sad that they and you all decided to destroy a great county's education system. Yeah, Dad too.

Claimed? I stopped reading after that. Again you know nothing about me. You not a teacher so stop trying to tell those who are about our jobs.

We see the results of your "work" every day, every where. You've all failed. Hard day at work? We all have that. But many of us aren't directly responsible for our bad day we had through our choices.

Thank mom and dad for setting up your teaching environment. They educated the idiots who parented the kids you can't handle "teaching".

Someone's running hot ... right off the rails and into a fiery wreck.

Do you even have kids in school, bro? Like ever?

Figured you'd have mentioned it in one of your many 10+ consecutive-post online mental breakdowns but don't recall ya doin' so.

Nice retort. Throw out an insult instead of an argument. No wonder modern kids are uneducated if this is an example of the idiots we have "teaching" them. LOL.
Thank you for your feedback.

I think I might be able to use your comments ITT in a lesson.

Since we're zeroing in on student behavior, one problem in today's education systems.

It seems that the typical "teacher-hater" is also a "cop-lover," something that I have difficulty reconciling. Teachers and police officers are both struggling with the same problem, as I see it: in our society, there is an increasingly brazen disrespect for rules, laws and authority. The sense of entitlement, and belief by some that they are above the law, and rules don't apply to them, can be mind-blowing. I respect the hell out of police officers for coming to work every day and trying their best to do their jobs in the face of this.

Cops are not to blame for the very problems they have to deal with. We should value cops, not blame them, or have silly bumper stickers about "defunding them." But why do so many people who feel this way about the police then turn around and tar teachers with the very same brush, trashing them for struggling with the very same problems that the police deal with?

Does anybody really believe in their heart that the reason a student refuses to obey a teacher who tells them to put his phone away is because of anything that has to do with the actions of that teacher?

Reactions: RUMED and Rhuarc
Someone's running hot ... right off the rails and into a fiery wreck.

Do you even have kids in school, bro? Like ever?

Figured you'd have mentioned it in one of your many 10+ consecutive-post online mental breakdowns but don't recall ya doin' so.
He gets off on lecturing everyone on the plight of America and what the "libs" have done. Better off just ignoring and moving along.

Meh. The grass is always greener.

I'm a school administrator and worked in private sector for the first half of my career, so I have perspective. So many teachers are lazy bums with bad attitudes.. and they take for granted the luxuries they've enjoyed during their career. The ones that come right out of college and into the union environment of teaching get tenure and then settle in... and in time they get complacent and develop a warped view of "work". They've never been kicked in the ass by "at-will employment" of private sector work where your attitude or performance could cost you your career.

It's a family friendly career and it's a nice life. Makes me sick to hear entitled teachers complain about grading papers after 3pm...

I'm a professor at a community college and I have seen this sense of entitlement firsthand. And our job is a lot easier than K-12 teacher! I'm the chair of the department and responsible for scheduling...I had one professor complaining that she had to come in more than one day a week! (Online classes have made such a schedule possible).

As to the rest of it, we have a lot more pedagogical freedom than K-12 but the issues with students are major. AI cheating disputes almost weekly! Everyone on their phones in class. Impossible to get students to read a novel. (Or anything really). Sad state of affairs.

I think it's the nature of work to complain about ones own job and feel like the "grass is always greener" but some of the faculty here really have no clue what it's like to work somewhere you can be fired at the drop of a hat. God bless the union.

No one told you to live in the crappy Trenton area of this state. I have no complaints about my school system New Providence is and always be a town where schools are excellent. Mercer County as a whole has terrible schools. You wanted a cheap house and lower taxes now you want to complain about your schools and teachers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT