ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Burned Out Teachers in Here?

Just saying there were no posts about burnout from May to October . Thread was dead
What does a teacher have to criticize in the summer? My only issue is that I don't get a paycheck then.

I feel much better when I get to vent about my job. Doesn't mean I don't love it or want to do it. I'm pretty sure that goes with 99 percent of society. Not sure why it's a big deal except for the typical snide remarks about teaching. This is not just about your comment, but also a general statement.

A very disturbing scene in my friend/teacher's high school chemistry class. One kid demanded his phone back after completing the in-class assignment, and shortly thereafter nearly all the kids were massed at the door to the closet in which the phones had been stashed (routine). Instead of doing other work, they are addicted to sitting on their phones and playing Angry Birds, or whatever they do.

One of the kids said something like "I'll just kick you in the leg to get around you," when she stood in front of the closet (she is recovering from a broken leg)...
Hmm.. new business ideas.. time lockboxes for phones to be put in every classroom. Only unlocks after the class is over. Schools rent the lockboxes.

Of course, then that only moves the fights to when it is time to put the phone in the box.

Hmm.. new business ideas.. time lockboxes for phones to be put in every classroom. Only unlocks after the class is over. Schools rent the lockboxes.

Of course, then that only moves the fights to when it is time to put the phone in the box.
Not new. Several districts use something similar.

You’d have to be insane to graduate college these days and get into teaching or law enforcement - zero upside and huge risks make jobs once desirable not appealing any longer
Insane? Probably not. Some people feel that it is their calling to go into education or law enforcement and make a difference. If they didn't, you and your family would not be educated and/or protected. They should be commended and not labeled.
lol no posts in this thread since May. Then school starts up again and 5 weeks later complaining about burnout .
I know..this is like the first thread that has ever been resurrected...very weird.

Reactions: LBusDoor90 and fsg2
Insane? Probably not. Some people feel that it is their calling to go into education or law enforcement and make a difference. If they didn't, you and your family would not be educated and/or protected. They should be commended and not labeled.

I know..this is like the first thread that has ever been resurrected...very weird.

Sudden and random old thread revival is not unique to this topic.

You know this all too well.

Well, usually that is a legendary thread by a legendary poster .
This is people complaining about their jobs after a 2.5 month vacation

Man, you're really here just to be a douche? Just leave the thread if you have a problem with teachers. Your life will be better off.
When did I say I have a problem with teachers ? I know in many situations it is a difficult job.

Here's the thing that isn't coming across to the non-teachers. It isn't a hard job. Or, it wouldn't be, if the rest of society would just support teachers. When parents, students, admins, politicians, and douchebag message board posters continue to crap on you without repercussions, it makes it a hard job.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Well, usually that is a legendary thread by a legendary poster .
This is people complaining about their jobs after a 2.5 month vacation
After 2.5 months of vacation, I don't see anybody really complaining on this thread about burnout. People having some discussions about cell phone restrictions, child upbringing and throwing in some examples of problem students. In fact, the only person offering complaints after the 2.5 months of vacation has been you!!!!

When did I say I have a problem with teachers ? I know in many situations it is a difficult job.
"This is people complaining about their jobs after a 2.5 month vacation"

I'm not sure how else you want me to interpret this. I'm just sick of people judging what I do without any knowledge of how it really is. Anyway, I'm done with it after this post. Troll away...

Just saying there were no posts about burnout from May to October . Thread was dead
Again, revived by a non teacher talking about something else.

Which is what the current thread has kind of evolved into.

"This is people complaining about their jobs after a 2.5 month vacation"

I'm not sure how else you want me to interpret this. I'm just sick of people judging what I do without any knowledge of how it really is. Anyway, I'm done with it after this post. Troll away...
I wasn’t meant to troll . Seems like you are a good teacher and care about the job .
Go rutgers ! Beat Wisconsin

There’s nobody more pro police and pro teacher than I

Wife, mother, both sisters, and brother-in-law are all teachers.

Of course, I am extremely grateful for all of the teachers and law enforcement, they are heroes in my book and without them, we would live in an uneducated society of an Anarchy

With that being said, given the current climate of no consequences for your actions, not being able to do the job you were hired to do (which you’re passionate about) and all the potential legal issues that could happen due to the inmates running the asylum, I stand by my comment that you literally have to be insane to get into either profession these days.

Reactions: charliem24
“Any Burned Out Teachers Out There”? Funny how the majority of posts on this thread are non teachers telling teachers how to feel. If this thread was about Lawyers, Surgeons, Healthcare workers etc etc I may enjoying reading the posts but I would not respond as I don’t work in those professions. Also as a teacher I would be a fool to use blanket statements like every teacher………. I happen to work with great administrators but have friends in other districts that have it much worse. That said I have good days and bad days. Will probably be made fun of by some for this story but others will appreciate it. I am a Dolphins fan. I would wear Dolphins gear ( and of course RU clothes) to respresent my fandom. Friday I had one of my 3rd graders from last year come to me with a gift of a Dolphins pencil. I thanked her and asked where she got it? She was proud to say her school earn box. She saved her points and wanted to give it to me. After 21 years in banking I was burned out and needed a change. Both my parents were teachers, as is my wife. Took a huge cut to make the change. Days like Friday remind me why I made the switch.

Last edited:
Sudden and random old thread revival is not unique to this topic.

You know this all too well.
You know the Rivals system (and every other social media platform), promotes old "related" threads/content. On Rivals.. it is very easy to click on a thread near the bottom of every forum screen and then resurrect a long dead thread.

You know the Rivals system (and every other social media platform), promotes old "related" threads/content. On Rivals.. it is very easy to click on a thread near the bottom of every forum screen and then resurrect a long dead thread.
OK. Not what happened here or in the threads to which I alluded, but a good point for any message board tutorials you might have planned.

I'd make it more a warning, though, like: "Don't be the guy to accidentally revive a years-old thread for a random, useless brain fart."

OK. Not what happened here or in the threads to which I alluded, but a good point for any message board tutorials you might have planned.

I'd make it more a warning, though, like: "Don't be the guy to accidentally revive a years-old thread for a random, useless brain fart."
How do you know why the thread was revived? Ask @dconifer if he dug it up to revive it or if it was suggested at the bottom of a page and he clicked to share a story. He's the one who recently revived this from an active period in May.

And you realize, I hope, that your response to it also bumps it. Right?

How do you know why the thread was revived? Ask @dconifer if he dug it up to revive it or if it was suggested at the bottom of a page and he clicked to share a story. He's the one who recently revived this from an active period in May.

And you realize, I hope, that your response to it also bumps it. Right?
He bumped it to tell a relevant story.

And you realize, i think and pray, I don't mind that it was bumped or gets bumped again ....right? Where did I so much as vaguely imply I did?

I have a PhD student right now doing a dissertation on why teachers leave the profession. Somewhat surprising to me, the #1 reason listed is "School climate." This is followed by, "Work-related health issues." "Student behavior" was listed by about half of the sample.

We've looked at how many teachers leave each year, and actually the number is not as high as you might think, especially given the number of boomers retiring because it's time for them to do so. Another interesting phenomenon is "quiet quitting," where people don't actually leave, but just do the minimum to get by. Also, it's probably the case that a fair percentage of the people leaving really need to.

No…if you think this was intentional by Rivals.

Guy had something additional to say in a thread he started. That’s all.

No…if you think this was intentional by Rivals.

Guy had something additional to say in a thread he started. That’s all.
I am just saying that rivals looks at your post history and recent topics that might relate to you and present them at teh bottom of the page.. many social media sites do the same. Youtube, etc. And, often, while you may post something relevant in an old thread.. the idea to do so is prompted because that old thread appears in your vision.

But, yes, people do also remember an old thread out there and seek it out to add a new thought to it. And once they do, it gets bumped to top and looks recent.. and everyone who has a tickler set for that thread (watching it) gets notified.. and so on.

It is not a "choice" by Rivals.. it is just the so-called algorithms designed to promote clicks.. engagement.. and revenue.

And.. people also create brand new threads when there is already a fresh thread on the topic. Sometimes this is because the other thread has scrolled off front page and was unread by the new poster.. sometimes the older thread title is not indicative of what it is about.. etc. Sometimes it is just because the new poster thinks his take is unique and deserving of its own thread... he is special.

I think digging out and finding an old necro thread on exactly the topic you want to discuss further with new examples is not a crime. It is probably the best option.

I am just saying that rivals looks at your post history and recent topics that might relate to you and present them at teh bottom of the page.. many social media sites do the same. Youtube, etc. And, often, while you may post something relevant in an old thread.. the idea to do so is prompted because that old thread appears in your vision.

But, yes, people do also remember an old thread out there and seek it out to add a new thought to it. And once they do, it gets bumped to top and looks recent.. and everyone who has a tickler set for that thread (watching it) gets notified.. and so on.

It is not a "choice" by Rivals.. it is just the so-called algorithms designed to promote clicks.. engagement.. and revenue.

And.. people also create brand new threads when there is already a fresh thread on the topic. Sometimes this is because the other thread has scrolled off front page and was unread by the new poster.. sometimes the older thread title is not indicative of what it is about.. etc. Sometimes it is just because the new poster thinks his take is unique and deserving of its own thread... he is special.

I think digging out and finding an old necro thread on exactly the topic you want to discuss further with new examples is not a crime. It is probably the best option.
There are some who do that.

But pretty sure it wasn’t this guy for this particular thread. Considering he was the OP.

Which was my point.

There are some who do that.

But pretty sure it wasn’t this guy for this particular thread. Considering he was the OP.

Which was my point.
ohhh.. I did not go back that far. Just to the gap between posts to days ago.

yeah.. if he was OP of whole thread.. something going on there. All criticisms are valid. And OP cannot say he forgot he posted similar stuff.. because he dredged it back up.

It's better to have one teaching related thread than multiples so if it's going to exist it should just be here. The one thing that should be considered if you truly want to kill it is to just move it to the cesspool of the CE board.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT