ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Conference Championship Games each pull in massive 55M+ viewership

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
Live Football Broadcast is king. Both NFL games this Sunday pulled in 56 and 57 million viewers each. Makes you wonder if this Superbowl will be the most watched one ever.

I heard a stat that 18 out of the 20 most watched TV programs in 2023 were NFL games.

Live Football Broadcast is king. Both NFL games this Sunday pulled in 56 and 57 million viewers each. Makes you wonder if this Superbowl will be the most watched one ever.

I heard a stat that 18 out of the 20 most watched TV programs in 2023 were NFL games.

It’s crazy how dominant the ratings are. 28 of the top 30. The Oscars at 15 and Next Level Chef? at 22 are the only others in there. For comparisons sake, the NCAA basketball championship is at 31, right after a Thursday night Dallas/Seattle game. And the NBA finals Game 5 is at 35.

Reactions: Morrischiano
NFL = last vestige of men doing men things
Goodell will have to fix that

The contrived concussion hysteria had all sorts of grifters grinding their axes but the "masculine hegemony" cure seekers were some of them

"American football has long been central to the construction of masculinity in the United States. Of the multiple masculine scripts promoting professional players’ hegemonic masculine status, sacrificing one’s body for the sake of sporting glory is a key tenet. Sport journalists have traditionally used their media platform to reify this social script, an act which simultaneously promotes their own masculine capital. However, this article investigates a crack in this hegemonic system. Through a media analysis of the reporting on Aaron Rodgers’ self-withdrawal (after hitting his head) from an important National Football League (NFL) game, we argue that increasing cultural awareness as to the devastating effects of concussions, in the form of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, combined with a softening of American masculinity is beginning to permit some prominent players to distance themselves from the self-sacrifice component of sporting masculinity. Concerning concussions, we conclude major sport media are beginning to support the notion of health over a masculine warrior narrative."

Examining Media Contestation of Masculinity and Head Trauma in the National Football League​

A lot of those wackos from the CE board here said that ! They couldn’t have been more wrong !
Some of them were also saying they would stop following Rutgers football if the team ever made a political statement !!
They’re all still here ! lol
There is nothing more American that protesting (peacefully), boycotting, voting with your ballot and with your wallet.

That being said, the right wing has been targeting some of the most popular things in America (to no avail): NFL, Disney, Budweiser, vaccines and now apparently- Taylor Swift.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It was bound to rebound as the anthem protests faded away but no doubt there was a boycott if you look at the year by year stats.

Kaepernick kneeled in a preseason game in 2016 (pleasing radical gf)
He wasn't exactly making a show of it but media hyped-it up.
Then there was the drama/boycotts - NFL got back on the beam for most part.
Then the Floyd color-revolution/riots kicked in years later and businesses, leagues, universities went harakiri (as they were pre-programmed to do). NFL was relatively mild by comparison and that's owed to Kapi and boycott.

Now the big deal on socials is that Lamar was a disaster for the "authentically black" QBs (appraently his hair style makes him more authentic - yes they say that ) .
I cant blame Lamar for all that - I could see there was an unusually big push to make Lamar MVP (smelled of Goodell). However I cant see where 24 passing TDs and 7 INTs is MVP caliber.

I don't blame Lamar for any of this

qJH3jpl.jpeg

There is nothing more American that protesting (peacefully), boycotting, voting with your ballot and with your wallet.

That being said, the right wing has been targeting some of the most popular things in America (to no avail): NFL, Disney, Budweiser, vaccines and now apparently- Taylor Swift.
Those guys here are just idiots and were the little boys that cried wolf.
This is a football board . Of course they weren’t going to stop watching football or rooting for their team . Rutgers wears the “chop 4 change” proudly as part of the gameday uniform ! And these guys are still here posting , cheering and not even complaining about it anymore . They lost

Those guys here are just idiots and were the little boys that cried wolf.
This is a football board . Of course they weren’t going to stop watching football or rooting for their team . Rutgers wears the “chop 4 change” proudly as part of the gameday uniform ! And these guys are still here posting , cheering and not even complaining about it anymore . They lost
I’m pretty sure the NFL currently has social justice messaging on helmets and endzone like “End Racism”, “”End Hate”, “Black Lives Matter” etc. Doesn’t seem to hurt viewership and revenue.

Last edited:
Then the Floyd color-revolution/riots kicked in years later and businesses, leagues, universities went harakiri (as they were pre-programmed to do). NFL was relatively mild by comparison and that's owed to Kapi and boycott.

Now the big deal on socials is that Lamar was a disaster for the "authentically black" QBs (appraently his hair style makes him more authentic - yes they say that ) .
I cant blame Lamar for all that - I could see there was an unusually big push to make Lamar MVP (smelled of Goodell). However I cant see where 24 passing TDs and 7 INTs is MVP caliber.

qJH3jpl.jpeg
That Whitlock quote idiotic and implicitly racist!

I bet many BiG college football games outdraw viewers v. their in market MLB teams.

maybe not Yankees v Rutgers but def OSU v Indians and UM v Detroit Tigers
Baseball is a regional sport now with passionate fanbases following their teams day in and day out (see our very own Mets thread on this board). It's less likely to draw a casual fan as a viewer.

But I never put too much stock in the "Number One Sport" or "America's Past Time" stuff anymore. Sports is about niche marketing to specific audiences and there's the whole gambling niche too. Everyone can do well if they know their audiences.

qJH3jpl.jpeg

What are you talking about?
You know Lamar wasn't the MVP favorite until the Ravens beat the 49ers on Christmas.

Purdy was the favorite until he threw 4ints in that game.

Who should have been MVP?
Dak? Tua? Josh Allen? Mahomes (who lost to the Raiders on that same Christmas Day).

qJH3jpl.jpeg
What does authentically black mean, exactly? That all of the listed QBs are actually white people in blackface?

I thought “Get Woke-Go Broke”

OOPS
Many have and many will…the nfl is, clearly, on a class by itself when it comes to financials. It is recession and maybe even depression proof. The useless wnba is one example…were it not for the nba, it would have folded around 2000. The nfl will play a pointless and divisive black people anthem and yet people will flock to it because that’s how popular it is.

Am I supposed to care what Ryan Clark said on I'm assuming some random ESPN talk show?
One of those shows that everyone says is worthless and not worth the time to watch.

It's like HS gossip "Did you hear what he said about so and so? So scandalous!"

Reactions: Plum Street
You know Lamar wasn't the MVP favorite until the Ravens beat the 49ers on Christmas.

Dak? Tua? Josh Allen? Mahomes (who lost to the Raiders on that same Christmas Day).
Mccaffrey will be in the top 10 with Purduy. As will Hill with Tua. Lamar has the best team in the AFC with his third string rb, a rookie #1 receiver and his HOF tight end hurt. But yea, it was an external push that got him to be the favorite.

Reactions: NickRU714

But TV is changing. Very many people don't watch networks anymore and there are so many different on demand services that viewership of comedies and dramas is splintered all over the place. As a result, no single series can get huge numbers.

I don't know when the hype kicked-in exactly but I kept reading (ESPN) and hearing (ESPN/WFAN) "Lamar the MVP" over and over. The polling sites had Lamar #1. Maybe he was and I don't care because I like Lamar more than some of the others. I cant see a QB getting MVP for beating one team like 49ers (who wasn't great as season closed). I see guys as good or better stat wise but that aren't QBs

What does authentically black mean, exactly? That all of the listed QBs are actually white people in blackface?

John McWhorter (of Rutgers fame) wrote a book about it and it comes around in media.
When Obama tells kids to study and not reject it as being "too white" he's on that topic.
Now its not me who applies the label to Lamar because I don't know him and don't care about his look one way or another having played on city sports teams since I was 12

Authentically Black : essays for the Black silent majority

Only 18 out of 20? Now I understand the Taylor Swift cutaways. If they do those for the games KC isn't playing, they'll get to 20 out of 20.

I don't know when the hype kicked-in exactly but I kept reading (ESPN) and hearing (ESPN/WFAN) "Lamar the MVP" over and over. The polling sites had Lamar #1. Maybe he was and I don't care because I like Lamar more than some of the others. I cant see a QB getting MVP for beating one team like 49ers (who wasn't great as season closed). I see guys as good or better stat wise but that aren't QBs
Josh Allen gas better stats, but Lamar has a better team record.

Think it was the cinderella stories that drew interest for this round of the playoffs.

Lost interest in the NFL a decade ago. Didn’t watch either of the conference championship games. Doesn’t help that the Jets and Giants are terrible year after year.

I don't know when the ESPN/WFAN hype kicked in either because I'm not watching or listening to them when a game broadcast isn't on.
Can't comment on the social media hype or whatever.

I can tell you that based on betting odds Purdy was the favorite heading into Christmas. Coming out Lamar became favorite.
The following week Baltimore beat Miami 56-19 behind Lamar's 5 TD passds and that basically clinched it.
The season ended the following week.

Baltimore didn't just best one team (NFC #1 seed).
They were the AFC #1 seed and best record in the league.

As I asked, who should be MVP if not Lamar?
CMC has a great case but he's a RB so that's unlikely unfortunately.

I don't know when the ESPN/WFAN hype kicked in either because I'm not watching or listening to them when a game broadcast isn't on.
Can't comment on the social media hype or whatever.

I can tell you that based on betting odds Purdy was the favorite heading into Christmas. Coming out Lamar became favorite.
The following week Baltimore beat Miami 56-19 behind Lamar's 5 TD passds and that basically clinched it.
The season ended the following week.

Baltimore didn't just best one team (NFC #1 seed).
They were the AFC #1 seed and best record in the league.

As I asked, who should be MVP if not Lamar?
CMC has a great case but he's a RB so that's unlikely unfortunately.

As of now, if I had to select a team I'm taking Mahomes #1
He's just got too many intangibles
Vs Ravens he took two vicious hits to the face and it didn't get to him
Lamar ran into some difficulties and started throwing his helmet and sulking for 4th Q.
Mahomes stats were down but so were Kelce's and that didn't help.
I think McCaffery has a strong case since he has 2000+ combined regular season yards and 21 TDs.
I've seen him enough to know he makes the key plays - has 2 TDs vs Detroit and 2 Vs Green Bay,
RBs often have quiet games in playoffs because top defenses stop the run first.
I think a case could even be made for a defender this year,
TJ watt with 19 sacks and a INT - I think hes #1 defensive player in football
Also way up there is Daron Bland with 9 INTs and 5 TDs.
Having Micah Parsons rushing helps DBs but Bland has most amazing DB stats I think I've ever seen for one season.
A lot of WRs dont have 5 TDs

NFL = last vestige of men doing men things
Goodell will have to fix that

The contrived concussion hysteria had all sorts of grifters grinding their axes but the "masculine hegemony" cure seekers were some of them

"American football has long been central to the construction of masculinity in the United States. Of the multiple masculine scripts promoting professional players’ hegemonic masculine status, sacrificing one’s body for the sake of sporting glory is a key tenet. Sport journalists have traditionally used their media platform to reify this social script, an act which simultaneously promotes their own masculine capital. However, this article investigates a crack in this hegemonic system. Through a media analysis of the reporting on Aaron Rodgers’ self-withdrawal (after hitting his head) from an important National Football League (NFL) game, we argue that increasing cultural awareness as to the devastating effects of concussions, in the form of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, combined with a softening of American masculinity is beginning to permit some prominent players to distance themselves from the self-sacrifice component of sporting masculinity. Concerning concussions, we conclude major sport media are beginning to support the notion of health over a masculine warrior narrative."

Examining Media Contestation of Masculinity and Head Trauma in the National Football League​

Definitely not any of that.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
It was bound to rebound as the anthem protests faded away but no doubt there was a boycott if you look at the year by year stats.

Sure, just the boycotts of Nordstrom, Starbucks, Yeti, United, Delta, Keurig...etc....all had a real effect LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT