ADVERTISEMENT

OT: opportunity out of state

Piscataway

Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hello All. I have an opportunity to purchase a dental practice in PA on the PA/NJ border. This would entail relocating because I cant do an 1:20 commute each way for very long. Right now I live about 10 minutes away from my folks who are very involved with our kids. I come from a very close family and I am having a hard time of coming to terms with this. Mostly because of my mom and her relationship to my girls. My wife is on board with the move. It would be good financially (I associate at 2 practices now and am getting burned out working for someone else) and hopefully within a few years my wife could could stop working/go part time if she wants to.

If I could find something where I didn't have to uproot I would stay - we own a home, my oldest is in kindergarten. There is just not much available right now.

Anyway I would appreciate your input.

Well, I have a nephew that moved to Pa a couple of years ago and they have a few kids. Our entire family would like to see they more but the 1.5 hour drive is too much to see them more than 2-3 times a year. My sister visited maybe every 1-2 months to see the kids. The other grand mother moved out to Pa to be closer to her daughter. If you can move between the two location so the drive won't be more than 40-50 minutes to your relatives. That might help.

This post was edited on 3/14 12:44 PM by rutgersdave

If you can, live within 15 minutes of the practice.
Commuting time is wasted time.
And as the owner you will have responsibilities (and will need the time necessary
to deal with such) that you don't have as an associate.

Also doesn't hurt business to be a part of the community where you practice
(I know that may be old school thinking but I am old)

I lived in Allentown and made every home hoops and football game and visited my parents in NB at least weekly. 75 minute drive...

Where on NJ/PA border? can you live in NJ and work in PA?

Loyal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT