ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PGA and LIV Golf to merge….

And that is part of the problem of why viewership is down. The media went full bore to go negative on LIV instead of embracing more golf to cover (which caused people to take sides). Fans turn on a PGA event and don't know anyone on the leaderboard and change the channel. Trying to find LIV on CW network was tougher before this year. This is the first year CW is on more streaming services, but LIV events are too infrequent/drastically different time zones. Most fans just want to turn on each week to see an event and players they know. Hopefully they can come together and get some shared events going. Golf needs some positive juice.

Peanuts compared to winning a major.
Peanuts compared to major?
Us open pays 3.6
Masters pays 3.3
British open pays 3.1

Players increased the payout to entice a stronger March field. I can understand if you meant greater sponsorship opportunities by winning a major but the players championship payout blows away the majors.

Reactions: knightfan7
And that is part of the problem of why viewership is down. The media went full bore to go negative on LIV instead of embracing more golf to cover (which caused people to take sides). Fans turn on a PGA event and don't know anyone on the leaderboard and change the channel. Trying to find LIV on CW network was tougher before this year. This is the first year CW is on more streaming services, but LIV events are too infrequent/drastically different time zones. Most fans just want to turn on each week to see an event and players they know. Hopefully they can come together and get some shared events going. Golf needs some positive juice.
Screw shared events. Those guys went for the $$$ and frankly something closer to an exhibition than a real tourney. You can't blame anyone for choosing that but no way they should benefit one iota from the Tour anymore.

Screw shared events. Those guys went for the $$$ and frankly something closer to an exhibition than a real tourney. You can't blame anyone for choosing that but no way they should benefit one iota from the Tour anymore.

I won't go to this extreme but I am not sure what "shared" events means or how it would even work. To me, the way to make this work is make LIV kind of a sub-season within the PGA season. Like a team version of the Fed Ex Cup.

You'd have to work out things like relegation, etc. which are problems LIV is facing now (and a reason why they can't get OGWR points).

This dumb attitude is destroying the sport. Congrats!

Reactions: Section124
This dumb attitude is destroying the sport. Congrats!

There is no doubt that Monahan screwed a lot of this up. But there is certainly hubris from the LIV side as well.

As I said earlier I tend to think Yassir is more pragmatic about this than others in LIV leadership, especially Norman. Both entities should send Norman and Monahan on an extended vacation, get some of the players from both sides into the room (Rahm, McIlroy, Koepka, Speith) and the SSG and Yassir into a room and hatch something out.

If that means some sort of penalty to come back to the PGAT, great. If it doesn't, great. If it means LIV's format dies, great. If it means LIV format goes on in some capacity, great. I really don't care at this point.

One big hurdle could be the PIF wanting some of their investment back. Contrary to what some have claimed, they didn't get into this for shits and giggles. They laid out a clear plan that they would recoup investment by selling off ownership in the various teams.

I am not sure the PIF will just abandon the team concept thing if they get access to and invest in the PGAT. I think the team thing is going to have to go forward in some capacity with the hope that eventually the teams have value that the PIF can recoup some investment.

Reactions: jtung230
There is no doubt that Monahan screwed a lot of this up. But there is certainly hubris from the LIV side as well.

As I said earlier I tend to think Yassir is more pragmatic about this than others in LIV leadership, especially Norman. Both entities should send Norman and Monahan on an extended vacation, get some of the players from both sides into the room (Rahm, McIlroy, Koepka, Speith) and the SSG and Yassir into a room and hatch something out.

If that means some sort of penalty to come back to the PGAT, great. If it doesn't, great. If it means LIV's format dies, great. If it means LIV format goes on in some capacity, great. I really don't care at this point.
Solution is easy. Let the players play whatever they want. PGA treats them like independent contractors anyway. Sure, specific PGA and LIV tour members will need to satisfy event requirements, but after that, let players do what they want.

The players are the sport, not the tours. May the best format win.

Solution is easy. Let the players play whatever they want. PGA treats them like independent contractors anyway. Sure, specific PGA and LIV tour members will need to satisfy event requirements, but after that, let players do what they want.

The players are the sport, not the tours. May the best format win.

One problem is LIV is essentially a closed tour and their guys are required to play per their contracts. So the only free movement of players would be LIV guys just playing random PGA events. For this to work IMO, there has to be some fundamental changes in how each tour is run.

One problem is LIV is essentially a closed tour and their guys are required to play per their contracts. So the only free movement of players would be LIV guys just playing random PGA events. For this to work IMO, there has to be some fundamental changes in how each tour is run.
That can easily be changed. But yes, you are right. Fundamental changes need to happen.

It would require a name change for LIV.
Easy. Move the FedEx Championship to around Labor Day weekend. Call it the PGA post season (formally known as the silly season) and let them play around the world for months.

Scottie and Nelly are killing it. The only thing that can stop Scottie is his wife going in labor

Scottie and Nelly are killing it. The only thing that can stop Scottie is his wife going in labor
Nelly is killing it. Ties record of 5 in a row wins (not successive weeks but her last 5 tournaments) and is tied with Nancy Lopez and Annika Sorenstam for that accomplishment. That's damn good company!
Things are quieter on the LPGA Tour with no issues. But a lot of great golf. Has my vote on the men's none majors so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT