ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Phil Mickelson

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
The unauthorized biography by Alan Shipnick is released next week, during the PGA tournament where Phil is defending champion. But will he play in it? This article indicates that the PGA Tour wants Phil to declare All-In or All-Out with them. Meanwhile Phil is scheduled to play in all 8 Saudi events that start next month.

Also it has been strongly rumored that Bones Mackey, Phil’s former caddie and now TV analyst, quit on Phil’s bag due to money issues. This book will really hurt Phil’s public reputation imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: William J. Leggett
The unauthorized biography by Alan Shipnick is released next week, during the PGA tournament where Phil is defending champion. But will he play in it? This article indicates that the PGA Tour wants Phil to declare All-In or All-Out with them. Meanwhile Phil in scheduled to play in all 8 Saudi events that start next month.

Also it has been strongly rumored that Bones Mackey, Phil’s former caddie and now TV analyst, quit on Phil’s bag due to money issues. This book will really hurt Phil’s public reputation imo.

None of these pale in comparison to Tiger's past issues and people still love Tiger.
No body cares except the media. They are trying to make a big deal about the gambling. Maybe they should look into Jordan's gambling expenses if they want a real story.

The unauthorized biography by Alan Shipnick is released next week, during the PGA tournament where Phil is defending champion. But will he play in it? This article indicates that the PGA Tour wants Phil to declare All-In or All-Out with them. Meanwhile Phil in scheduled to play in all 8 Saudi events that start next month.

Wait, I thought he said all kinds of things ANTI-Saudi?

And that was part of the big “controversy” here.

Michael Jordan. What do I know? You mean what does the world know. Notorious gambler.
That’s why I asked for clarification about which Jordan. Since it was a golf thread, I thought you might be inferring something about Jordan Spieth’s gambling habits...obviously not the case.

Reactions: RU22
That’s why I asked for clarification about which Jordan. Since it was a golf thread, I thought you might be inferring something about Jordan Spieth’s gambling habits...obviously not the case.
Do any golfers not gamble?

• Haha
Reactions: red sail
It's weird how everyone has decided it's time to tear down Phil. He's always been flawed - other women, gambling, etc. If you followed the sport beyond the actual play this stuff has been pretty well known over the years. And, sure, his comments about the PGA and Saudi league grabbed headlines, but at least the guy was being honest about it (essentially admitting it is blood money). The list is long of companies and sports athletes making $$$ off of China, and yet no one seems to care.

IMO, this will blow over unless the book states that Phil threw golf matches because he bet against himself.

It's weird how everyone has decided it's time to tear down Phil. He's always been flawed - other women, gambling, etc. If you followed the sport beyond the actual play this stuff has been pretty well known over the years. And, sure, his comments about the PGA and Saudi league grabbed headlines, but at least the guy was being honest about it (essentially admitting it is blood money). The list is long of companies and sports athletes making $$$ off of China, and yet no one seems to care.

IMO, this will blow over unless the book states that Phil threw golf matches because he bet against himself.
It is weird. The amount of money the NBA makes from China is crazy. The amount the players make from sneaker contracts is nuts. You never hear anything about it. Don't understand why it his time to be rolled through the mud.

Last edited:
None of these pale in comparison to Tiger's past issues and people still love Tiger.
No body cares except the media. They are trying to make a big deal about the gambling. Maybe they should look into Jordan's gambling expenses if they want a real story.
Honestly the reason a lot people play golf is gambling and drinking. John Daly is still one of the most popular players I think Phil will be fine.

Some of the stories people tell about Phil's gambling are legendary. It comes as no surprise he lost a ton of money. Jordan gambles millions he just makes billions lol

I'd wager that most of the people that tune into CBS for Saturday and Sunday rounds of golf don't really have any idea what's going on with Phil nor this Saudi tour and it's only those that are really glued to every piece of news on Golf Internet that know/care one way or the other about Phil.

same with Urban. Urban didn't just start to be a bad guy when he got to the NFL

Some of our posters in this thread didnt read the linked article. I understand that most don’t care that Phil may have stiffed his caddie out of 100’s of thousands of dollars. Because that’s not the big issue.

The main issue is that Phil is at a key decision point in his career. Commit to the PGA and all is forgiven. But commit to the Saudi Tour and he will risk a long term suspension from the PGA Tour.

Lets start the conversation there.

Nailed it.
Sensational BS
Not worth anybody’s time

Reactions: WhiteBus
Yes, but if you’ve made 200 million your kids are still being fed.
Or, people can sell their kids to get the capital to invest in their business and earn multiples of $200M. That'd be my recommendation.

Yeah? Well at my club, I've seen caddies play for $1,000,000. The members sometimes play for $1,000,000 a hole. Because pocket change.
I had you for a guy that only plays with hookers and for blow. Hooker -opposite of slicers - get your mind out of the gutter.

Reactions: mildone
same with Urban. Urban didn't just start to be a bad guy when he got to the NFL
He just didn’t win.
Some of our posters in this thread didnt read the linked article. I understand that most don’t care that Phil may have stiffed his caddie out of 100’s of thousands of dollars. Because that’s not the big issue.

The main issue is that Phil is at a key decision point in his career. Commit to the PGA and all is forgiven. But commit to the Saudi Tour and he will risk a long term suspension from the PGA Tour.

So extortion?

I had you for a guy that only plays with hookers and for blow. Hooker -opposite of slicers - get your mind out of the gutter.
You are entirely correct. I don't actually play golf. It's much too boring.

I just join the clubs because I like to hang out at the club with the hookers, wearing unfashionable cargo shorts and ripped t-shirts, and doing my best Rodney Dangerfield impersonation. Also, the hookers and I really like to race the golf carts. You haven't lived until you've pushed a golf cart beyond it's limits and into a downhill power slide on the carefully manicured pebble path, crushing a $75,000 wrought-iron bench.

Boy were they mad at that stunt. 🙂

I'll start the conversation. If the PGA suspends anyone from playing in that league then Phil has been right all along. Currently the only rule of the PGA is play in 15 PGA sanctioned tournaments in a Tour calendar year. Now they are changing the rules because the new league is paying big entry fees?? The PGA is the problem not the players.
Everyone has read the article. If they throw Phil out of defending his PGA title it will be the beginning of the end for the PGA. 3 of the majors are not PGA events. Players will do great without it.

Last edited:
True story we were playing at a public course in the poconos called Hideaway Hills. As you can tell by the name of the course, there’s nary a flat on the whole course. Long story short my buddy was driving and he lost control on the side of cart path next to a cliff. We both dove out of the cart screaming like little girls. The cart is about 6 feet down the cliff wedged into a tree. I told my buddy I’m never letting him drive EVER again.

And what does the moral of this story have to do with Phil? Absolutely nothing. We grabbed our golf bags out of the cart and kept moving. Nothing to see here with Phil. Keep moving folks.

Last edited:
True story we were playing at a public course in the poconos called Hideaway Hills. As you can tell by the name of the course, there’s nary a flat on the whole bourse. Long story short my buddy was driving and he lost control on the side of cart path next to a cliff. We both dove out of the cart screaming like little girls. The cart is about 6 feet down the cliff wedged into a tree. I told my buddy I’m never letting him drive EVER again.

And what does the moral of this story have to do with Phil? Absolutely nothing. We grabbed our golf bags out of the cart and kept moving. Nothing to see here with Phil. Keep moving folks.
That has probably happened a number of times at that course.

True story we were playing at a public course in the poconos called Hideaway Hills. As you can tell by the name of the course, there’s nary a flat on the whole bourse. Long story short my buddy was driving and he lost control on the side of cart path next to a cliff. We both dove out of the cart screaming like little girls. The cart is about 6 feet down the cliff wedged into a tree. I told my buddy I’m never letting him drive EVER again.
In truth, I actually did wind up unintentionally power-sliding a golf cart into an expensive wrought-iron bench while driving it way too fast down a steep pebble path, at a some golf club just outside DC, many years ago.

However, in a rare lack of seriousness, my posts in this thread may contain some satirical content or a small degree of embellishment for effect. For instance, I may or may not have been wearing unfashionable cargo shorts at the time. Who can remember such details. 😀

• Haha
True story we were playing at a public course in the poconos called Hideaway Hills. As you can tell by the name of the course, there’s nary a flat on the whole course. Long story short my buddy was driving and he lost control on the side of cart path next to a cliff. We both dove out of the cart screaming like little girls. The cart is about 6 feet down the cliff wedged into a tree. I told my buddy I’m never letting him drive EVER again.

So now the cart is hidden away in the hills. Sounds perfect to me. 🙂

So now the cart is hidden away in the hills. Sounds perfect to me. 🙂
Just like when I slice and hook golf balls into the woods. I’m not going after that one, it’s too far in. We didn’t need that cart anyway

Reactions: mildone
I'll start the conversation. If the PGA suspends anyone from playing in that league then Phil has been right all along. Currently the only rule of the PGA is play in 15 PGA sanctioned tournaments in a Tour calendar year. Now they are changing the rules because the new league is paying big entry fees?? The PGA is the problem not the players.
Everyone has read the article. If they throw Phil out of defending his PGA title it will be the beginning of the end for the PGA. 3 of the majors are not PGA events. Players will do great without it.
Close, but way off. The PGA tournament happens before the Saudi Tours initial event. So your timing makes no sense for the Tour to suspend Phil for the PGA.

In the past the PGA Tour has given exemptions to Tour players who want to enter overseas tournaments. That system of exemptions does not include US played events.

People who know more about the PGA Tour than you see this as a showdown between Phil and the Tour. But carry on with your stream of consciousness thoughts.

Last edited:
Close, but way off. The PGA tournament happens before the Saudi Tours initial event. So your timing makes no sense for the Tour to suspend Phil for the PGA.

In the past the PGA Tour has given exemptions to Tour players who want to enter overseas tournaments. That system of exemptions does not include US played events.

People who know more about the PGA Tour than you see this as a showdown between Phil and the Tour. But carry on with your stream of consciousness.
Over what?

What’s the showdown about?

People who know more about the PGA Tour than you see this as a showdown between Phil and the Tour. But carry on with your stream of consciousness.
I'm not way off. The PGA Tour has threatened to suspend any player who plays in that league. Each player has to ask for an exemption months ahead of playing in a non sanctioned event. Carry on with your stupidity. This wouldn't be story if what you posted was true. It's not.

You are beginning to understand the central issue here. Thanks for coming on board.
Beginning? I just enlighten you about what was going on with the PGA Tour vs the players. You think this is just a Phil thing. It's not. It's the players being threatened by the PGA Tour which is different then the PGA Association, both under the PGA shield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT