ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dustin Johnson

Knightmoves

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
After announcing that he will play in the LIV tournament next week in London, the floodgates could be about to burst on the PGA Tour with defections to the Saudi League. DJ is a huge name and is rumored to collect $125M from the Saudis this season for signing on with them.

Can he play next week in London and then play in the US Open and British Open? The ball is now in the PGA Tour’s court. Will they suspend tour players who play in any Saudi events?

Isn't the US Open run by the USGA and not the PGA? The Masters and The Open (British) are also not run by the PGA.

I think the PGA Championship, The Players Championship, and the Fed Ex Cup are PGA events.

Isn't the US Open run by the USGA and not the PGA? The Masters and The Open (British) are also not run by the PGA.

I think the PGA Championship, The Players Championship, and the Fed Ex Cup are PGA events.
Yup, good point.

US Open is run by the USGA
British Open is run by the R&A
PGA Championship is run by the PGA or America
Masters is run by Augusta National

The PGA Tour runs the weekly tournaments and the Players Championship is their signature event
The Fed Ex Cup is run by the PGA Tour
The Ryder Cup is run by the PGA of America on the US side and owned by European tour and the PGA of Great Britain and PGA of Ireland.

The bottom line is all of these guys work very closely together. Whether the majors will support the PGA Tour position or not is to be seen. The US Open will be the first test.

After announcing that he will play in the LIV tournament next week in London, the floodgates could be about to burst on the PGA Tour with defections to the Saudi League. DJ is a huge name and is rumored to collect $125M from the Saudis this season for signing on with them.

Can he play next week in London and then play in the US Open and British Open? The ball is now in the PGA Tour’s court. Will they suspend tour players who play in any Saudi events?

I just wonder if the average fan is going to go to the events or watch it on YouTube? If not can the Saudi's ever accomplish what they want?

I go to the Players every year and I learned a long time ago that don't go expecting to see a certain player doing well. The issue with the PGA Tour is that as a spectator there is always someone interesting to watch because there is soo much star power - even when your favorite is playing poorly. With the current LIV crew I fear the excitement of the team aspect will not overcome the lack of star power causing boring TV/Live events. As I said to a buddy of mine the other day, are you going to pay $16 for a beer to see the wrong Koepka.

As far as the TV issue, I fear there is not a network that will touch this with a 10 foot pole. Individual players like DJ can grab the cash and run and not care what others think. TV Networks can't. They have to care what people think about them because they need to make money broadcasting 24X7X365.

Yes, the PGA has no say in who's invited to the US Open. The USGA has not said what they'll do.

I just wonder if the average fan is going to go to the events or watch it on YouTube? If not can the Saudi's ever accomplish what they want?

I go to the Players every year and I learned a long time ago that don't go expecting to see a certain player doing well. The issue with the PGA Tour is that as a spectator there is always someone interesting to watch because there is soo much star power - even when your favorite is playing poorly. With the current LIV crew I fear the excitement of the team aspect will not overcome the lack of star power causing boring TV/Live events. As I said to a buddy of mine the other day, are you going to pay $16 for a beer to see the wrong Koepka.

As far as the TV issue, I fear there is not a network that will touch this with a 10 foot pole. Individual players like DJ can grab the cash and run and not care what others think. TV Networks can't. They have to care what people think about them because they need to make money broadcasting 24X7X365.
Good points all around. The Saudi Tour has 4-5 events in the US incldg their championship, so they are challenging the PGA Tour on its home turf in this country.

How much coverage does the Golf Channel give the LIV, with its close relationship as a TV partner for many years with the PGA Tour?

Will LIV get any live events on TV this season? Or will it be short clips from the tournaments?

What about the crowds at these US locations including Portland, Bedminster, Boston and Chicago? Ticket prices are exorbitantly high and how many golf fans want to pay that to see DJ and a bunch of players like Sergio on the downside of their careers? Could these tournaments be ghost towns during the 3 day tournaments? I know that I would never buy a ticket.

The LIV needs an expanded list of top players imo. But if they sign any of the Top 5-10 players on the PGA Tour the numbers can change very quickly. Add a Rahm, Scheffler or DeChambeau and everything can change.

Reactions: RU85inFla
Good points all around. The Saudi Tour has 4-5 events in the US incldg their championship, so they are challenging the PGA Tour on its home turf in this country.

How much coverage does the Golf Channel give the LIV, with its close relationship as a TV partner for many years with the PGA Tour?

Will LIV get any live events on TV this season? Or will it be short clips from the tournaments?

What about the crowds at these US locations including Portland, Bedminster, Boston and Chicago? Ticket prices are exorbitantly high and how many golf fans want to pay that to see DJ and a bunch of players like Sergio on the downside of their careers? Could these tournaments be ghost towns during the 3 day tournaments? I know that I would never buy a ticket.

The LIV needs an expanded list of top players imo. But if they sign any of the Top 5-10 players on the PGA Tour the numbers can change very quickly. Add a Rahm, Scheffler or DeChambeau and everything can change.
They'll fill it with freebees.

Have no idea what the USGA and R&A will do but one thing I do know is that the Masters could give a rats ass what they do. They want the best from all over. Will they ban Dustin and Sergio? Former Champions, highly doubt it.

Have no idea what the USGA and R&A will do but one thing I do know is that the Masters could give a rats ass what they do. They want the best from all over. Will they ban Dustin and Sergio? Former Champions, highly doubt it.
I don't know. They're pretty much old school. May not like shaking the boat or having players booed like I expect those that run to the Saudi's money will.

I don't know. They're pretty much old school. May not like shaking the boat or having players booed like I expect those that run to the Saudi's money will.
They invite so many players that the other majors refuse to. I also think that crowd is much different then the rest of the majors. Besides they are far more likely to throw out a "patron" for booing.

Reactions: jtung230
Good move. He has made $33m on the PGA tour. I bet his 1-year LIV payout will beat this.
Saudis probably gave him a nice signing bonus for being committed full time to their league. And he can win substantial amounts in each tournament. Kevin Na has made $1.1M on the Tour this season. He can make $4M if he wins next week in London.

Look at Bubba Watson, who has made 600K on the Tour this season. His numbers in the LIV are much richer than that for him. Same for many other Tour players that are middle of the pack,

Reactions: T2Kplus20
We’ll, they “banned” Phil this year and Tiger during his scandal. And Norman was told he wasn’t eligible play in the The Open.

The PGA Tour, USGA and Augusta collaborate on all sorts of issues, from rules to equipment to dates. The USGA has a very tight relationship with Augusta. Fred Ridley who is the major domo at Augusta once ran the USGA and PGA Tour officials are members at Augusta. The USGA board members serve as rules officials there.

I do not think any of the major US or UK golf associations will roll over nor should they.

Easy decision for Na. I read that the main draw is that a lot of the PGA tour players don’t like the schedule/required events. The only tough decision is losing sponsors.

Reactions: Knightmoves
We’ll, they “banned” Phil this year and Tiger during his scandal. And Norman was told he wasn’t eligible play in the The Open.

The PGA Tour, USGA and Augusta collaborate on all sorts of issues, from rules to equipment to dates. The USGA has a very tight relationship with Augusta. Fred Ridley who is the major domo at Augusta once ran the USGA and PGA Tour officials are members at Augusta. The USGA board members serve as rules officials there.

I do not think any of the major US or UK golf associations will roll over nor should they.
Who banned Phil?? According to PGA commissioner he was welcome at the event. Phil hasn't made a commitment to the LIV so he isn't banned anywhere. When was Tiger banned??

Who banned Phil?? According to PGA commissioner he was welcome at the event. Phil hasn't made a commitment to the LIV so he isn't banned anywhere. When was Tiger banned??
Gun to your head, does Phil play in London next week?

I say Yes. He has already been paid a huge sum by the Saudis for signing on with them. DJ’s recent signing gives Phil some shade here and avoids a bullseye on his head with the media.

I only watch the 4 majors and the Ryder cup now.
I root for Tiger and Fowler 1a 1b.
Tough to find a win out of that pair moving forward.
I don’t care about the SL if it doesn’t effect those 5 events.

Gun to your head, does Phil play in London next week?

I say Yes. He has already been paid a huge sum by the Saudis for signing on with them. DJ’s recent signing gives Phil some shade here and avoids a bullseye on his head with the media.
Great question but I'm going to say no. I'm just guessing he waits until after the British Open.
He is already registered for the US Open so does he play there??
Many player took LIV money to play but no one was suspended. Most have given it back eventually.

That’s why I put banned in parantheses. The Masters strongly suggested that Phil not play this year and the year after Tiger’s sex scandal, he got the same message. they dI’d not want the distraction that both would have brought. Seth Waugh said Phil was welcome to play at Southern Hills, but do you really believe that they wanted the distraction?

That’s why I put banned in parantheses. The Masters strongly suggested that Phil not play this year and the year after Tiger’s sex scandal, he got the same message. they dI’d not want the distraction that both would have brought. Seth Waugh said Phil was welcome to play at Southern Hills, but do you really believe that they wanted the distraction?
So just a conspiracy theory then! Gotcha.
One major flaw in your theory. Tiger played in the Master right after the sex scandal.

Imagine selling your soul to the Saudi Royal Family. JFC, especially in this era of “progressivism”.

I have no issue with a rival tour attempting to correct the issues on the PGA tour, but of all the groups on the planet to set one up it had to be this group.

Maybe they can sign KJU, I hear he’s got a great short game. They could sign Putin too, he probably needs some fresh air after being in his bunker the past 3 months.

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
Imagine selling your soul to the Saudi Royal Family. JFC, especially in this era of “progressivism”.

I have no issue with a rival tour attempting to correct the issues on the PGA tour, but of all the groups on the planet to set one up it had to be this group.

Maybe they can sign KJU, I hear he’s got a great short game. They could sign Putin too, he probably needs some fresh air after being in his bunker the past 3 months.
As @WhiteBus already stated, Saudi sponsors plenty of sporting events and many athletes “sold their soul” already. This is not new. The only reason you would feel this way about this event is all thanks to Phil. PGA should really thank him.

Reactions: RU2131
As @WhiteBus already stated, Saudi sponsors plenty of sporting events and many athletes “sold their soul” already. This is not new. The only reason you would feel this way about this event is all thanks to Phil. PGA should really thank him.
I know they do/have, and I’ve been against it ever since I was old enough to understand geopolitics. F1 was my first exposure to how the Saudis do business.

If Phil didn’t give that interview to the book writer the landscape of Saudi vs PGA Tour might be very different right now.

Will be interesting to see the paid attendance for the US based tourneys, starting in Portland next week. They will be playing at Trump Bedminster on 7/29-7/31. Who will pay those prices, other than corporate sponsors, to see DJ, Phil, Sergio and the others at premium prices? Comp tickets will be everywhere imo.

But the winner next week in London makes $4M. That purse alone will place him in 11th place on the PGA Tour money list this season, equal to what Jordan Speith has made all season. Think about that as an attraction for Tour players outside the Top 20-50. The time to join for many of them is now, before the field gets crowded and entry becomes more selective.

Kevin Na may have made a very timely move signing with the Saudis imo.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Great question but I'm going to say no. I'm just guessing he waits until after the British Open.
He is already registered for the US Open so does he play there??
Many player took LIV money to play but no one was suspended. Most have given it back eventually.
Well that answer that question! I said no mostly as far as I knew he was still in the US yesterday.

Money Talks and the Saudis pump it out in millions of barrels
The LIV tour will get the players.
Just like when South Africa was on everyone's $#1t list and boycotting their tour events was pushed, the money to be had playing in them brought players.
In an article I read >Ken Green said ( in 1989) he never even gave a thought to the international sports boycott, which anti-apartheid activists say is necessary to pressure Pretoria into dismantling the system of racial segregation, giving the black majority the vote and ending white minority-led rule.

“With only 10 players and a chance to win this kind of money, I’d be foolish not to come. "
he added, “I don’t think sports and politics should be combined.”<

No matter what the issue is, what sport is being played, athletes will go for the money and the hell with the cause.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if I have missed anything but it seems like The Golf Channel has not addressed any of this controversy, am I correct? Thanks

I’m not sure if I have missed anything but it seems like The Golf Channel has not addressed any of this controversy, am I correct? Thanks
They have but in small doses. Like MLBTV station they concentrate on the play and not the issues. I think all of the Golf Channel ex pros would have jumped on the league in a heart beat.
Nobody cared where the money comes from until Phil took a 9iron to the hornets nest.
Nobody is looking at the NBA, Premier League, FIFA etc

Reactions: rurx1228
Absolutely not lol.
I said this before. Nascar is great to watch when you have your guy but when they retire it is tough to root for a former competitor. I was a long time Rusty fan. Best looking car ever was the black MGD car he had.

I said this before. Nascar is great to watch when you have your guy but when they retire it is tough to root for a former competitor. I was a long time Rusty fan. Best looking car ever was the black MGD car he had.
I know that feeling, was a Jeff Gordon fan basically from birth. When he retired I completely lost that whole aspect of it. But I generally like the way the sport has gone since 2017 and I love the new car so my interest is back at a high level, highest in years in fact.

I know that feeling, was a Jeff Gordon fan basically from birth. When he retired I completely lost that whole aspect of it. But I generally like the way the sport has gone since 2017 and I love the new car so my interest is back at a high level, highest in years in fact.
I occasionally watch but hate the segment thing of the Daytona. I would like to go to Poconos again but so busy in the summer.
Have you been live anywhere recently?

I occasionally watch but hate the segment thing of the Daytona. I would like to go to Poconos again but so busy in the summer.
Have you been live anywhere recently?
Actually went to Wall Speedway this past Saturday for the 125 modified Garden State Classic. HIGHLY recommend if you’ve never been. Most entertained I’ve been for 24 bucks in a long time.

Otherwise I try to get up to Pocono, love the track and its old school feel. Went to the Indy races from 2013-2019. Tried Dover once but just too far from where I’m at.

Actually went to Wall Speedway this past Saturday for the 125 modified Garden State Classic. HIGHLY recommend if you’ve never been. Most entertained I’ve been for 24 bucks in a long time.

Otherwise I try to get up to Pocono, love the track and its old school feel. Went to the Indy races from 2013-2019. Tried Dover once but just too far from where I’m at.
I worked at Spring Meadow Golf Course for years and was welcome all the time as the manager was a golfer. Free greens fee for him and his gang and free for me going in the back entrance. The demolition derby's there were epic! Just a great time always there. Great people, fun times.
Poconos was my favorite. Took my younger brother there when he got back from the first Gulf War. He was a Dale fan. One of our greatest times together.

Reactions: Joey Bags
I worked at Spring Meadow Golf Course for years and was welcome all the time as the manager was a golfer. Free greens fee for him and his gang and free for me going in the back entrance. The demolition derby's there were epic! Just a great time always there. Great people, fun times.
Poconos was my favorite. Took my younger brother there when he got back from the first Gulf War. He was a Dale fan. One of our greatest times together.
Love it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT