ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Proposal for 80 school football Super League

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
It's a paywall article but you can get sort of gist from the tweets. It's probably not realistic for now and would take a lot of convincing of people in power to actually come to fruition. Current TV deals are another issue.

Snippet from the article:

One league overseeing college football’s highest level. No more conferences as we’ve known them. Playoff berths being decided solely on the field. Promotion and relegation for smaller schools. Players being paid directly. NIL and the transfer portal, managed.

A group of influential leaders wants to make all this happen soon — and they are pitching it as the best way forward for a sport they believe needs saving.

Several college presidents, Roger Goodell’s primary lieutenant at the NFL and some of sports’ top executives have devised a plan — dubbed by outsiders as a “Super League” — to completely transform college football, those involved in the group “College Sports Tomorrow” (CST) told The Athletic. Although the plan has drawn skepticism from within the sport’s current institutions, the people behind the ideas believe they must be implemented.

“The current model for governing and managing college athletics is dead,” Syracuse chancellor Kent Syverud told The Athletic during an interview.

West Virginia president Gordon Gee added, “We are in an existential crisis.”

Syverud and Gee are part of CST, a 20-person group which also includes the NFL’s No. 2 executive Brian Rolapp, Philadelphia 76ers owner David Blitzer and lead organizer Len Perna of TurnkeyZRG, the search firm that places nearly all the top conference commissioners, including recently the Big Ten’s Tony Petitti.

They are trying to implement a drastically new system that would replace the NCAA and the College Football Playoff and potentially provide a solution for the hurricane of current and future lawsuits aimed at the business of the sport, plus the NIL and transfer portal issues that, they believe, have put college athletics as a whole in peril.

Thus far, the group is struggling to gain traction with the schools that would play in their proposed “Super League.” The ACC board of directors heard a presentation from the group in February. However, planned dinners with administrators from the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all were called off. Spokespersons for the Big Ten and SEC said commissioners Petitti and Greg Sankey, respectively, have not met with Perna’s group.

Leagues have been hesitant and canceled meetings so as not to upset their current broadcast partners, including ESPN and Fox, according to one executive briefed on the commissioners’ thoughts.

70 permanent teams from the former power 5 conferences and some others like ND, SMU etc.. in 10 7 team divisions and an 8th division of 10 teams where teams can be promoted/relegated from a group of 50 smaller schools.

8 division winners and 8 wildcards would go to the playoffs, no committee.

Cool then maybe they can create little divisions maybe based on location or rivalries. Say 8, 10 or 12. Maybe call them... I don't know... Conferences? Then maybe take the best 4, 8 or 16 teams for special bowls at the end of the season to determine a National Champ. Very original.

this isn't new and it won't go anywhere. this is simply those on the outside looking to become part of the inside as BIG and SEC will form their own and leave everyone else. Told you all, 24 is the magic number and FOX prez saying 48. Those 48 will be BIG and SEC

all expansion now is eyeing 2030 tv deal which Fox has the inside track on

80 schools would be too many - NCAA Lite.
There are too many little fish swimming with the whales.
The more league looks like NFL lite the better.
Its all a budding pro league and a money chase
I don't think even graduations and classes will matter that much in the end.
The little fish and SAs can be "college football" as known

80 schools would be too many - NCAA Lite.
There are too many little fish swimming with the whales.
The more league looks like NFL lite the better.
Its all a budding pro league and a money chase
I don't think even graduations and classes will matter that much in the end.
The little fish and SAs can be "college football" as known
Well it's essentially all the FBS schools because the ones outside the initial 70 have chance to get into the 80 with promotion/relegation.

I don't really see the incentive for the B10/SEC. I'm not sure about the networks either.

What I do think is correct and will eventually happen is some sort of CBA. If you want rules/structure etc...it has to come in the form of some collective group on the side of the schools and "union" for the players. I don't see how you get around that and try to ameliorate some of the problems from the pile of lawsuits the NCAA and conferences face.

Can't see anymore than 64 schools, and that's being generous
not even close to that given ESPN has to pay the SEC so how much is there to feed the additional mouths? ESPN already balked last year on the additional game. It's why they let the ACC fall and not renew the option so they can invest in SEC. Fox is going to do more with the BIG as well. I cannot see more than 48 ish

at some point if the top programs (SEC and Big ten) do form their own gig, I can see the remnants going scorched earth litigation wise…you know unfair, destruction of tradition, racism, inequality…blah blah blah…all the usual “reasons” - real or imagined.

It will be fun to follow the decimation of it all…

☺️

Reactions: RUScrew85
at some point if the top programs (SEC and Big ten) do form their own gig, I can see the remnants going scorched earth litigation wise…you know unfair, destruction of tradition, racism, inequality…blah blah blah…all the usual “reasons” - real or imagined.

It will be fun to follow the decimation of it all…

☺️
they won't have a leg to stand on

not even close to that given ESPN has to pay the SEC so how much is there to feed the additional mouths? ESPN already balked last year on the additional game. It's why they let the ACC fall and not renew the option so they can invest in SEC. Fox is going to do more with the BIG as well. I cannot see more than 48 ish
Yeah, I was saying 64 would be the maximum, but to your point that would likely be spreading the pot to thin amongst the haves and have Nots

Reactions: RUTGERS95
for those who wont pay for The Athletic, the article proposes a BIG EAST of:
RU
ND
BC
Cuse
WV
VT
L'ville
Pitt
Cinci
Miami
Where did you see that I don't remember reading any details about how a split into divisions would happen. It was just high level. Just 7 divisions of 10 and an 8th made up of smaller schools that could be promoted/relegated.

I took a look at the article again and I still didn't see what you mentioned.

Last edited:
We are going to look back at the BCS era as the golden age of college football, aren't we....
There needs to be more structure and definition with CFB and that can only be done collectively as a group.

I don't see this particular solution happening but there needs be a collective on both sides (schools/players) and this is just one group's vehicle in that direction.

But as far as CFB, I'm fine with it. I've said this many times here, I've seen more opportunity now than we've had in the past and that's a good thing. You get more interest and hope from all corners of the sport as opposed to only the top of the top. It's good to see a Cincy have their shot, a TCU and a Washington. Even a Michigan who is a blue blood but hasn't recruited at the absolute peak of the sport was able to win a championship. Playoffs expanding give more opportunities for those kind of things to happen too.

Yeah, I was saying 64 would be the maximum, but to your point that would likely be spreading the pot to thin amongst the haves and have Nots
totally

Twitter was reporting that they had set up meetings with BIG and SEC and those reps didn't attend or canceled when this was being proposed. BIG and SEC are going to do their own thing and that is where the money will flow. In fact, B12 monies may be the apex of non big 2 conference payouts as the networks will need every penny to pay for marquee games/league play

Reactions: BeantownKnight
If they ever reevaluate conference membership, schools like Purdue, Northwestern, for example need to worry. Below is last year's winner for BIG viewership averages of over 1mm by Neilsen

Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77...UCLA didn't average over 1mm

totally

Twitter was reporting that they had set up meetings with BIG and SEC and those reps didn't attend or canceled when this was being proposed. BIG and SEC are going to do their own thing and that is where the money will flow. In fact, B12 monies may be the apex of non big 2 conference payouts as the networks will need every penny to pay for marquee games/league play
Supposedly there will be movement on the ACC front before July 1, June 30 is the drop date to switch conferences for the following season. I thought it was August 31, but I’m seeing it as June 30.

Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77...UCLA didn't average over 1mm
The article has UCLA at 1.67. Also has Stanford at 1.64. I still think we missed the boat there. It boggles my mind that Indiana is ahead of us. I'm guessing that our ratings go down now that we aren't playing Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year.

Where did you see that I don't remember reading any details about how a split into divisions would happen. It was just high level. Just 7 divisions of 10 and an 8th made up of smaller schools that could be promoted/relegated.

I took a look at the article again and I still didn't see what you mentioned.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Cool then maybe they can create little divisions maybe based on location or rivalries. Say 8, 10 or 12. Maybe call them... I don't know... Conferences? Then maybe take the best 4, 8 or 16 teams for special bowls at the end of the season to determine a National Champ. Very original.
Love it, LOL

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
The article has UCLA at 1.67. Also has Stanford at 1.64. I still think we missed the boat there. It boggles my mind that Indiana is ahead of us. I'm guessing that our ratings go down now that we aren't playing Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State every year.
I look at it differently in that we've been bad and our numbers are still good. when we win consistently then it's lightning in a bottle

I don't think so (ratings go down) as I expect us to do well this year plus we're playing coastal schools. we'll see, I think we'll be ok

I look at it differently in that we've been bad and our numbers are still good. when we win consistently then it's lightning in a bottle
Both can be true. We are a sleeping giant…. And we have benefitted from playing teams that draw lots of eyeballs.

B1G/SEC: "No."

And, the conversation ends.
This is the have nots one last ditch effort to remain relevant.
Syracuse couldn’t have cared less when they were “in” and we were left to die on the vine.
Despite that fact I hope all these schools find a home.
Curious to see how it all plays out.
2030 gives us time to build our brand.
I think we will have the opportunity to be our best Rutgers by then!

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
This is the have nots one last ditch effort to remain relevant.
Syracuse couldn’t have cared less when they were “in” and we were left to die on the vine.
Despite that fact I hope all these schools find a home.
Curious to see how it all plays out.
2030 gives us time to build our brand.
I think we will have the opportunity to be our best Rutgers by then!
most of the pieces are back for this year, change QB and add a guy that can throw and we can make some noise!

looking up

It's a paywall article but you can get sort of gist from the tweets. It's probably not realistic for now and would take a lot of convincing of people in power to actually come to fruition. Current TV deals are another issue.

Snippet from the article:

One league overseeing college football’s highest level. No more conferences as we’ve known them. Playoff berths being decided solely on the field. Promotion and relegation for smaller schools. Players being paid directly. NIL and the transfer portal, managed.

A group of influential leaders wants to make all this happen soon — and they are pitching it as the best way forward for a sport they believe needs saving.

Several college presidents, Roger Goodell’s primary lieutenant at the NFL and some of sports’ top executives have devised a plan — dubbed by outsiders as a “Super League” — to completely transform college football, those involved in the group “College Sports Tomorrow” (CST) told The Athletic. Although the plan has drawn skepticism from within the sport’s current institutions, the people behind the ideas believe they must be implemented.

“The current model for governing and managing college athletics is dead,” Syracuse chancellor Kent Syverud told The Athletic during an interview.

West Virginia president Gordon Gee added, “We are in an existential crisis.”

Syverud and Gee are part of CST, a 20-person group which also includes the NFL’s No. 2 executive Brian Rolapp, Philadelphia 76ers owner David Blitzer and lead organizer Len Perna of TurnkeyZRG, the search firm that places nearly all the top conference commissioners, including recently the Big Ten’s Tony Petitti.

They are trying to implement a drastically new system that would replace the NCAA and the College Football Playoff and potentially provide a solution for the hurricane of current and future lawsuits aimed at the business of the sport, plus the NIL and transfer portal issues that, they believe, have put college athletics as a whole in peril.

Thus far, the group is struggling to gain traction with the schools that would play in their proposed “Super League.” The ACC board of directors heard a presentation from the group in February. However, planned dinners with administrators from the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all were called off. Spokespersons for the Big Ten and SEC said commissioners Petitti and Greg Sankey, respectively, have not met with Perna’s group.

Leagues have been hesitant and canceled meetings so as not to upset their current broadcast partners, including ESPN and Fox, according to one executive briefed on the commissioners’ thoughts.

70 permanent teams from the former power 5 conferences and some others like ND, SMU etc.. in 10 7 team divisions and an 8th division of 10 teams where teams can be promoted/relegated from a group of 50 smaller schools.

8 division winners and 8 wildcards would go to the playoffs, no committee.
Run from anything Cuse and WVU admins are trying to lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT