ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Providence & Newport, RI

Zak57

All American
Jul 5, 2011
Going this weekend for a trip. Any suggestions on things to see, restaurants, bars etc.?

The obvious sites to see in Newport are the gilded age mansions- The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and the Elms are to most high end.

You should note getting around Newport can be time consuming due to traffic.

The obvious sites to see in Newport are the gilded age mansions- The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff and the Elms are to most high end.

You should note getting around Newport can be time consuming due to traffic.

We don't mind walking at all. Is there a good spot that you can recommend to park for the day?

Rail Explorers in Portsmouth was pretty cool. You strap onto a railcar with pedals and ride the rails of a retired railway next to the water and an Army base. Good workout; lasts about 3 hours total. I think it was 6mi roundtrip.

https://www.railexplorers.net/

Zak I was just there last week end. Stayed at a place called Rheas. Food was great 2 miles from town. Basically a bed n breakfast. No amenities except great service. Room small but clean. Only big enough for 2 people. Was In Middleton RI. Ask for Jimmy

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak57
Providence. Go by the Dunkin Donuts Center. Bow your head and pay homage. Site of Rutgers Basketball's last NCAA appearance. St. Patrick's Day, 1991
I know there is some Irish Pubs across the street. Don't remember much about them, naturally as it was St. Patricks Day 27 years ago.

Reactions: Zak57
It has been awhile since I have been there. Staying in Middletown makes sense from a $ standpoint. In town can be pricey. t see the Mansions you will want to drive to each one individually.
There are a number of bars and restaurants by Banisters wharf and Thames st.
https://www.discovernewport.org/
has some infomation on parking options and some bus and trolley service.

Did college tours in Providence for kids. The Little Italy in Providence has some excellent restaurants on Atwells Ave. The area around Brown has some really good Greek places worth going to also. Surprisingly good food town.

Tennis hall of fame in Newport might be worth a stop if you have any interest.
I would say that even if you don't think you'd be that interested, this is still worth the stop. I don't care too much about tennis, but I really enjoyed the HOF.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Hows the town with toddlers? Basically looking for someplace to stay between NYC and the Thomas theme park in Carver, MA.

Going this weekend for a trip. Any suggestions on things to see, restaurants, bars etc.?
Black Pearl in Newport for dining. If you have extra time, consider taking the ferry over to Block Island and renting a motor scooter to buzz around the island. Its about an hour each way on the ferry, Then you have the mansions in Newport to tour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT