ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Nebraska @ Lincoln, Neb.-- October 5, 2024 (Saturday)

We stay over in Omaha. Not a far drive at all on game day. Rates a lot better as well.

Any suggestions on how to get to Lincoln?

I think if you're in NJ it's probably best to fly. It's a long drive and walking, well, you'd miss all the preceding RU games getting there.

Never too early to plan.

In all seriousness this is very true. My brother is a pastor out in Lincoln, and the town fills up with all of their fans who fly/drive in from all over the state. Nebraska Football is the only game in town there, actually all Nebraska sports are, so they take it very seriously. Usually those coming into town make a weekend of it, resulting in most places being sold out way in advance.

Never too early to plan.
Any suggestions on how to get to Lincoln and where to stay to see the game?
Been there twice. @MrsScrew will have best trip details.

However IIRC the trip is basically River Rd. to 287N to 80W for about a million miles then exit at the Nebraska stadium if you really want to drive.

ETA: I'll add this since MrsScrew is out of town supervising the birth of her second grandson. Stay in Lincoln near the outside bar restaurant area for post game fun.

P.S. I hear she was tailgating the 2nd Grandson in the Hospital parking lot all day yesterday. LOL

Last edited:
I went the first time we played there. We stayed in Omaha and used a car service to get back and forth from Lincoln. It worked out fine but if you're not on a budget, staying in Lincoln is the better option.

Make sure you are constantly wearing RU gear. Their fans treated us like rock stars. The opposite extreme of going to UConn or WVU.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Spent the day visiting with grandson #2 & driving with grandson #1...who I sang Rutgers songs too all day and *may* have blurted out a F penn state because they live in a heavily populated psu county in PA.

re: Nebraska. We flew into Omaha both times, rented a car & drove the hour or so to stay in Lincoln. You can fly into Lincoln (less options, higher price) as an alternative.
Omaha was pretty cool: we visited the zoo (One of the best in the world), The strategic Air command and aerospace Museum, and Boys Town (seriously worth the visit to see this incredible place. @RUScrew85 went kicking and screaming but came out wanting to donate to them because it was so incredible)

In Lincoln we stayed at the Hyatt Place on the 2nd trip & I'd have to go back to my trip details when I get back home, but, I believe we stayed at the Cornhusker Marriott the first time. The pep band & cheerleaders showed up.

Go to the Haymarket area for drinks, have a Runza, wander the bizzaro places people tailgate (gas stations & sidewalks for instance) @huskersalways can chime in on any recent additions to partake in.

Talk to people! They are so incredibly nice out there. We made friends with a guy and his wife the first time we were there and when we went back the second time he invited us to have dinner with him and his wife at his house. MrScrew got to drive a combine and I got to drive a tractor! (And yes I was singing the Green acres theme song the entire time).

It's a trip so great we took it twice!

Fly to Omaha and rent a car to drive to Lincoln. Stay at the Hyatt Place and go out in the Haymarket. We enjoyed burgers at LeadBelly, beers at Boiler Brewing, steak at Misty's, crack fries at Hopcat, ice cream at Ivanna Cone. Heard JTK, Dish and Casa Bovina are good.

Last edited:
One of the great traditions of Nebraska is the Friday night pep rallies all around town. They have a bunch in different places, the one we went to was at Robbers Cave brewery on the outskirts of tow . Cant recommend enough. Get some food and a beer and they have a stage set up out back where the marching band literally comes marching out of the woods/cornfields and does a whole concert and pep rally. It was rocking

I’ve been to almost 20 away games and Nebraska was top 3.

Great weekend.

I stayed in Lincoln and I would recommend the same. It was cool waking up in the morning walking around and seeing the folks pour into town for the game.

Spent the day visiting with grandson #2 & driving with grandson #1...who I sang Rutgers songs too all day and *may* have blurted out a F penn state because they live in a heavily populated psu county in PA.

re: Nebraska. We flew into Omaha both times, rented a car & drove the hour or so to stay in Lincoln. You can fly into Lincoln (less options, higher price) as an alternative.
Omaha was pretty cool: we visited the zoo (One of the best in the world), The strategic Air command and aerospace Museum, and Boys Town (seriously worth the visit to see this incredible place. @RUScrew85 went kicking and screaming but came out wanting to donate to them because it was so incredible)

In Lincoln we stayed at the Hyatt Place on the 2nd trip & I'd have to go back to my trip details when I get back home, but, I believe we stayed at the Cornhusker Marriott the first time. The pep band & cheerleaders showed up.

Go to the Haymarket area for drinks, have a Runza, wander the bizzaro places people tailgate (gas stations & sidewalks for instance) @huskersalways can chime in on any recent additions to partake in.

Talk to people! They are so incredibly nice out there. We made friends with a guy and his wife the first time we were there and when we went back the second time he invited us to have dinner with him and his wife at his house. MrScrew got to drive a combine and I got to drive a tractor! (And yes I was singing the Green acres theme song the entire time).

It's a trip so great we took it twice!
I recommend flying into Omaha and taking an Uber to Lincoln IF staying in the Haymarket area. The cost of parking will likely be more than an Uber and definitely if figure in the cost of a rental car. Now if you have plans to do more stuff than football renting a cart may be your best option.
Hotels in the Haymarket area for football are usually pricey and will also require a 2 night minimum. The hotels in that are are:
Embassy Suites
Courtyard
Hyatt Place
Hilton Garden Inn
Graduate
The Kindler
The Scarlet
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown
The Cornhusker, which is a pretty good walk from the Haymarket area or the football stadium.
The Haymarket has a large amount of bars and restaurants that are open very early and way late on football weekends.(6;30am-2:00am if an early kickoff)

There are all kinds of hotels throughout Lincoln if don't want to spend a lot on rooms. They will likely still have a 2 night minimum.
If staying in West Omaha try to stay around the Cabelas that's out there. There are several hotels by the interstate that goes to Lincoln(avoid the Holiday Inn Express on West I-80, it's a dump). There are multiple typical lower end places to eat around the Cabelas area(Burger King, Runza, Taco Bell, Jersey Mikes, McDonalds, Sonic) but other that a couple bars that have food its limited. There is a nice sports bar close there but I can't remember the name of it.
Good Luck!
I might see you there, I haven't decided what I'm doing football wise this year but I know I have rooms in Haymarket area.

PS-The volleyball schedule hasn't been released yet but it's unusual to have a home football game with Volleyball playing either Friday night, Saturday night(or day if football is a night game) or Sunday afternoon. That adds to rooms filling up and more traffic but also more fun in the Haymarkey area. If you want to see an event I encourage you to try and buy a ticket(expensive) and go to the Bob and watch them. There will be 9000 others there with you. It's a great fast paced game and the ladies are very athletic.

Reactions: MrsScrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT