ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Newport RI

R1766U

Senior
Jan 17, 2014
NJ
Anyone ever been? Taking a very last minute three day trip there starting tomorrow. Have a place booked, now just need some tips for some good food/drinks. What mansions are must sees? I am reading Breakers and Elms. Any other suggestions? Always get great tips on this board.

Reactions: 66 college avenue
I used to go with various and sundry ex wives and girlfriends pre Internet when you could go somewhere and be surprised. We are now in a post Internet era so maybe try that?Or try it my way?

Anyone ever been? Taking a very last minute three day trip there starting tomorrow. Have a place booked, now just need some tips for some good food/drinks. What mansions are must sees? I am reading Breakers and Elms. Any other suggestions? Always get great tips on this board.
Marble House has an accompanying Vanderbilt family drama that's interesting. You know, rich-people problems. Do the Cliffwalk for some fresh air, exercise and beautiful views. I didn't think very highly of any of the restaurants I went to when there. They were all kinda ok but nothing memorable.

I think you actually can (must?) buy a pass that gives your entry to the mansions (or, as they call them, cottages) of note. You don't need to purchase them a la carte.

Also, kind of a one-off, but go to the Tennis Hall of Fame. I couldn't care less about tennis, at least as compared to most other sports, but it's very good and well worth the visit.

Food: Eat at the White Horse Tavern, corner of Marlborough and Farewell Streets. A little dressy (compared to most other places), but the food is dynamite - best in town. Building is also ancient, so it oozes history. I also recommend the Red Parrot for dinner, corner of Thames and Memorial Blvd. West. If the weather is nice, they'll open up all the front windows facing Thames Street, which will be crowded with foot traffic. It's a very fun atmosphere, and the food is good.

One of the biggest touristy things to do is to try the clam chowder at the Black Pearl on (I think) Bowen's Wharf, but it actually is very good. The restaurant in general is also quite good.

Take a cruise of Narragansett Bay. You can down a couple beers and some oysters while you wait to board, and the ride is fun.

Also, if you like colonial architecture and historic preservation, take a walk through The Point neighborhood. It's on the bay, with a great view of the Claiborne Pell Bridge, but the entire neighborhood has been preserved by the historic preservation society (I can't think of the actual name). Really cool, though most of the homes are actually rather modest. Tim O'Shea, the Bryant basketball coach (formerly of Ohio U.) lives there, not that it matters.

Of course, the cliff walk and all that, as others have mentioned, are good fun, too. Great walking town (lousy for driving), and you ought to enjoy it.

Reactions: batts and Leonard23
Can probably walk the shop strip in a couple of hours and then be done with the area. Bunch of restaurants known for lobster rolls. Nice to eat at the places on the dock.

Providence is only about a 35 minute drive away, may want to make a day there too and walk around the city and Brown University campus.

Definitely buy a pass for the mansions.
A few good places to eat or have a cocktail
-Restaurant Bouchard is excellent
-Castle Hill Inn is great for a drink(s), lunch and dinner
-Corner Cafe for breakfast
-Black Pearl
- white horse tavern
- Thames Street kitchen

Reactions: Leonard23
If you're a sports fan of any kind, the Tennis Hall of Fame is a must. Serious tennis people will be disappointed in that the Hall of Famers "share" displays, but the old equipment and that beautiful grass court are pretty cool.

Definitely do the Cliff Walk. And if you have time for more than two "cottages," there is a pass for a bunch of them. Not worth it if you'll get tired of seeing how the 1 percent lived back then after two guided tours.

Not sure if there are any boating excursions around the bay -- I was on a sailboat the first time I went there, so that was kind of cheating -- but the bay is great for sailing.

I concur on the restaurants, too. Fine, but not what you would expect from a place like that.

Reactions: SHUSource
It's kind of funny remembering back to visiting when I may have been somewhere about 11-13...can't remember exactly but the THOF stands out in my memory because they had this really cool futuristic game you could play called "pong" by Atari. Our Dad couldn't drag us away from it.

I have been up to Newport many times. I have always stayed on my parents' boat where we have most of our meals but I went to this
BBQ place linked below and it was very good:

http://www.bingebbqri.com/

My daughter went to college in Bristol R.I. so we used to stay in Newport often. We liked the Red Parrot, Joe's Crab Shack, Brick Alley Pub, and Clarke Cookhouse.

After dinner (and a few cocktails) we liked to walk around town and look at the shops which are quaint. On a nice day, we'd buy an ice cream cone. sit outside and enjoy the scenery.

Reactions: MulletCork
My daughter went to college in Bristol R.I. so we used to stay in Newport often. We liked the Red Parrot, Joe's Crab Shack, Brick Alley Pub, and Clarke Cookhouse.

After dinner (and a few cocktails) we liked to walk around town and look at the shops which are quaint. On a nice day, we'd buy an ice cream cone. sit outside and enjoy the scenery.
We had some drinks at the Clark Cooke House last time we were there and and enjoyed it. Great happy hour!

Last edited:
Reactions: batts

Small world, I also went to undergrad in Bristol, RI. So we used to frequent Newport all the time. I second going to the Red Parrot and the Brick Alley Pub and just walking down Thames Street and seeing what appeals to you. Great place to walk around. The cliffwalk is of course nice and also the beaches, but obviously too cold for that now.

On a side note, Bristol itself has changed some too over the years and has some nice restaurants and bars near the bay, as well as a nice hotel. Haven't been there in a while, but was surprised to see all the new places last time I went.

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT