ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. - Joe Kapp

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
MinnestoaViking QB who led the Viks to Super Bowl IV passed away at age 85.
In what could be considered as big an upset as the Jets win, the Vikings who were 13.5 point favorites in the game lost to the Chiefs 23-7. Kapp is the only QB to play in a Rose Bowl, Super Bowl and Grey Cup, the CFL championship game.
A very tough guy who never backed away from a hit.
R.I.P. Joe

A nice little piece from NFL Films. You gotta love the music.

In what could be considered as big an upset as the Jets win, the Vikings who were 13.5 point favorites in the game lost to the Chiefs 23-7. Kapp is the only QB to play in a Rose Bowl, Super Bowl and Grey Cup, the CFL championship game.
R.I.P. Joe

He sure was a tough guy. RIP Joe.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Was he the Walking Boss?

Cal guy, @retired711, right?
MV5BZTIzMzNjMGUtNTA3Zi00ZGI5LTk0M2YtNTBmMWFkNzg0ODZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

RIP, he was one of the original “tough guy” QBs. Later he was the HC of the Cal Bears (his alma mater) for the famous “Band On The Field” rivalry game against Stanford and John Elway in 1982.

Was he the Walking Boss?

Cal guy, @retired711, right?
I've never heard the nickname. He was the QB in Cal's last Rose Bowl appearance in 1959. He was also the Cal coach at the time of The Play in the Cal-Stanford game in 1982 ("the band is out on the field!") I understand that Kapp would end practices by having the players throw around a rugby ball; perhaps that prepared them for the laterals involved in the play.

I've never heard the nickname. He was the QB in Cal's last Rose Bowl appearance in 1959. He was also the Cal coach at the time of The Play in the Cal-Stanford game in 1982 ("the band is out on the field!") I understand that Kapp would end practices by having the players throw around a rugby ball; perhaps that prepared them for the laterals involved in the play.
I guess you’ve never seen the original Longest Yard. Kapp played a prison guard known as the Walking Boss. The picture I posted above is from the movie.

Remember him well
RIP Joe
You helped change the way the NFL treated its players , maybe att the cost of your career

Joe Kapp - Wikipedia
>Despite Kapp being a Super Bowl quarterback, no team in the NFL made contact with him until after the start of the 1970 regular season, [7] when the Boston Patriots (1–1) signed him on October 2 to a four-year contract,[8][9][10] making him the highest paid player in the league. Pete Rozelle stepped in and forced the Patriots to give up two number-one draft picks as compensation to the Vikings. His first appearance for Boston was on October 11 at Kansas City, relieving starter Mike Taliaferro in the third quarter of a 23–10 loss.[11][12]

The Patriots of 1970 were a poor-performing team and the late-arriving Kapp played poorly himself that season, leading the team to the 26-team league's worst record at 2–12.[4] When the year ended, Rozelle demanded that Kapp sign a standard player contract. After conferring with his lawyer and the NFL Players Association, Kapp refused to sign.[4]

With the top pick in the 1971 NFL Draft, the Patriots selected quarterback Jim Plunkett of Stanford, the winner of the Heisman Trophy. Kapp reported to the newly-renamed New England Patriots' training camp in 1971, refused to sign a standard contract, and departed.[13][14] The headlines in the Boston papers read "KAPP QUITS!". After this incident Kapp never played again; his 12-year career as a professional football player was over.

Kapp started an anti-trust lawsuit vs. the NFL, claiming the standard NFL contract was unconstitutional and a restraint of trade. He won the summary judgment after four years. The court had ruled that Kapp's trade was indeed restrained. It was two years later (April 1, 1976) in the trial for damages, that the jury decided that Kapp was not damaged.

Although Kapp was not awarded any damages, in 1977 the rules at issue in the Kapp case were later revised, a new system was instituted, and a multimillion-dollar settlement was made between the NFL and the NFL Players Association.<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kapp

I guess you’ve never seen the original Longest Yard. Kapp played a prison guard known as the Walking Boss. The picture I posted above is from the movie.
There were a couple of NFL players in that movie. Green Bay Packers Hall of Famer Ray Nitschke played the guy Burt Reynolds kept hitting in the nuts with the ball.

There were a couple of NFL players in that movie. Green Bay Packers Hall of Famer Ray Nitschke played the guy Burt Reynolds kept hitting in the nuts with the ball.
Nitschke is regarded by some as having done more than Sam Huff to define the middle linebacker as a sideline-to-sideline defender.

R.I.P. Joe

Super Bowl IV wasn't an upset. It was obvious from the opening kickoff that the Chiefs were the better team. They were bigger, faster, and stronger. The general perception at the time, even after the Jets win in Super Bowl III, was that the AFL was an inferior league. The narrative in NFL cities was that the Jets win was a fluke. That was one of the reasons for the ridiculous point spread.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Nitschke is regarded by some as having done more than Sam Huff to define the middle linebacker as a sideline-to-sideline defender.
The Giants had quite the coaching staff in those years. Tom Landry, inventor of the 4-3 defense, was the DC. Vince Lombardi was the OC.

Correct! l And yet they still couldn't defeat the Colts in the sudden-death overtime game that helped put the NFL on the map.
Jimmies and Joes…more of them (HoFers) on the other sideline.

And Weeb Ewbank wasn’t so bad either. HoF too.

Jimmies and Joes…more of them (HoFers) on the other sideline.

And Weeb Ewbank wasn’t so bad either. HoF too.
I had forgotten that Weeb coached that team -- as well as the Jets team that won the Super Bowl.

I'm sure you'd agree the Giants also had some great players -- Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford, Charlie Conerly, Roosevelt Brown, Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, Emlen Tunnell, Alex Webster.

I had forgotten that Weeb coached that team -- as well as the Jets team that won the Super Bowl.

I'm sure you'd agree the Giants also had some great players -- Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford, Charlie Conerly, Roosevelt Brown, Sam Huff, Andy Robustelli, Emlen Tunnell, Alex Webster.
I did some quick math and I think (on the field) the Colts had more HoF guys.

But I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT