ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Real Estage Agent Commission Changes

Wrong. I cannot show you the house without a buyers agency agreement signed. If you come to my open house you don't need that, but to submit an offer you do. There is no getting around it.
What ? I have seen many houses without signing any paperwork with a realtor. I just called the realtor that had the listing and they met me and showed it.
Then if I wanted to make an offer I signed something with the sellers realtor.
Like I posted , I did buy a house without a realtor and used the sellers realtor. I think it helped me in negotiations

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
The reason the realtor commission is always such a hotly debated topic is that over the years it’s failed to evolve given the diminished role of an agent. There was a time before the internet, GSMLS, Zillow, etc. where an agent played a key role in house hunting and closing a deal. And folks didn’t flinch at the commission structure. Nowadays many agents are lock-box monkeys and aren’t providing the kind of value that warrants the legacy commission rates. And the large brokers put up barriers for years to stop industry changes (see Foxton’s demise). FWIW, I’m not anti-broker at all. In certain circumstances and with the right customers they are highly valued. Nevertheless, I’m convinced a company like Zillow could use technology and local brokers to upend the industry and still allow brokers to make a living while saving buyer money and enabling sellers. The 5%-6% commission became a joke the second listings appeared every morning in your email.

Because a lawyer is not a realtor? Who is going to allow you in for home inspection, for appraisal, for fire inspection, for any other inspection required?
The sellers agent should be doing that it’s their job as the agent for the seller. There shouldn’t be a need for a buyers agent, it’s ridiculous that I would need one. Why would a buyer need to pay a commission to buy something- it is always the seller that does. I always thought it was a complete scam that if I want to rent a house, apt etc and I have to pay the realtor the commission not the landlord who hired the realtor.

Nevertheless, I’m convinced a company like Zillow could use technology and local brokers to upend the industry and still allow brokers to make a living while saving buyer money and enabling sellers.
On the rental side of things, because of their technology and alleged collusion with/between landlords, RealPage is the subject of a federal antitrust lawsuit filed yesterday. Not sure if a Zillow type proptech firm coordinating with local brokers in the home sales arena would be able to avoid a similar fate.

On the rental side of things, because of their technology and alleged collusion with/between landlords, RealPage is the subject of a federal antitrust lawsuit filed yesterday. Not sure if a Zillow type proptech firm coordinating with local brokers in the home sales arena would be able to avoid a similar fate.

I envision the local broker simply acting as a liaison meaning they give the buyer access to the house, answer questions, and provide info = all of which the broker would get paid for doing but nowhere close to a traditional commission. Which, quite honestly, is probably about the limits of many broker’s skills. No offense to any brokers here, but I never understood how just about anyone, and I mean anyone, can be a real estate agent and yet they are handling what in most instances is the single greatest transaction that a person enters into during their lifetime.

What ? I have seen many houses without signing any paperwork with a realtor. I just called the realtor that had the listing and they met me and showed it.
Then if I wanted to make an offer I signed something with the sellers realtor.
Like I posted , I did buy a house without a realtor and used the sellers realtor. I think it helped me in negotiations
This law went into effect August 1st of this year.

The reason the realtor commission is always such a hotly debated topic is that over the years it’s failed to evolve given the diminished role of an agent. There was a time before the internet, GSMLS, Zillow, etc. where an agent played a key role in house hunting and closing a deal. And folks didn’t flinch at the commission structure. Nowadays many agents are lock-box monkeys and aren’t providing the kind of value that warrants the legacy commission rates. And the large brokers put up barriers for years to stop industry changes (see Foxton’s demise). FWIW, I’m not anti-broker at all. In certain circumstances and with the right customers they are highly valued. Nevertheless, I’m convinced a company like Zillow could use technology and local brokers to upend the industry and still allow brokers to make a living while saving buyer money and enabling sellers. The 5%-6% commission became a joke the second listings appeared every morning in your email.
I am sure they are out there, but a lot of good realtors do more than just open a door, you realize that I hope? Frankly, my biggest complaint is the attorneys in the deals. They foul up and slow down transactions a lot. I actually have started making a banned list, if a certain client is using that attorney I advise my client to take another offer.

Reactions: newell138
I am sure they are out there, but a lot of good realtors do more than just open a door, you realize that I hope? Frankly, my biggest complaint is the attorneys in the deals. They foul up and slow down transactions a lot. I actually have started making a banned list, if a certain client is using that attorney I advise my client to take another offer.
Yeah, some attorneys feel they have to prove their worth. We always told our attorneys in closing to move things along and not be difficult.

Yeah, some attorneys feel they have to prove their worth. We always told our attorneys in closing to move things along and not be difficult.
When I am working with a buyer or seller I really prefer they use mine for a few reasons. The first is they only do real estate law. I hate when someone has an attorney and the deal gets delayed because that attorney is in court dealing with criminal matters. Or some clients use a free legal service attorney through their company. Holy crap just shoot me if you're going to do that. Free does not equal good. The second is I at least have someone I know so I can stay in constant contact with them about how the deal is progressing. NYC attorneys don't copy anyone on anything. I just ripped one via email last week during a closing. ZFG. I think she was taken aback but didn't care.

The sellers agent should be doing that it’s their job as the agent for the seller. There shouldn’t be a need for a buyers agent, it’s ridiculous that I would need one. Why would a buyer need to pay a commission to buy something- it is always the seller that does. I always thought it was a complete scam that if I want to rent a house, apt etc and I have to pay the realtor the commission not the landlord who hired the realtor.
It's not my job as the sellers agent to be there for a buyers home inspection. How does that make any sense? I am representing the seller not the buyer. Same with any other inspection depending on the terms of the contract.

You are paying people for a service. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Attorneys, CPAs, professional coaches, trades etc.

I envision the local broker simply acting as a liaison meaning they give the buyer access to the house, answer questions, and provide info = all of which the broker would get paid for doing but nowhere close to a traditional commission. Which, quite honestly, is probably about the limits of many broker’s skills. No offense to any brokers here, but I never understood how just about anyone, and I mean anyone, can be a real estate agent and yet they are handling what in most instances is the single greatest transaction that a person enters into during their lifetime.
Because 90% of them don't actually do a transaction. You can get your license too and you likely won't make it. That's what people don't understand. Like any sales job the good ones make a lot of money and the bad ones don't do anything.

When I am working with a buyer or seller I really prefer they use mine for a few reasons. The first is they only do real estate law. I hate when someone has an attorney and the deal gets delayed because that attorney is in court dealing with criminal matters. Or some clients use a free legal service attorney through their company. Holy crap just shoot me if you're going to do that. Free does not equal good. The second is I at least have someone I know so I can stay in constant contact with them about how the deal is progressing. NYC attorneys don't copy anyone on anything. I just ripped one via email last week during a closing. ZFG. I think she was taken aback but didn't care.
Our two closings in Arizona with no attorneys were paradise.

I know there are great realtors and when it comes to commercial properties, MF, etc. the brokers play a critical role in finding properties and vetting issues. My problem is so many SFH transactions these days don’t really need an agent and the commission did not adjust over time to reflect technology that makes the entire process easier. Agents simply spend less time today thanks to online listings, email, docusign, satellite imaging and maps, etc.

Reactions: thegock
It's not my job as the sellers agent to be there for a buyers home inspection. How does that make any sense? I am representing the seller not the buyer. Same with any other inspection depending on the terms of the contract.

You are paying people for a service. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Attorneys, CPAs, professional coaches, trades

You are paying people for a service. This isn't a hard concept to grasp. Attorneys, CPAs, professional coaches, trades etc.
How would you feel if the next time you went to a car dealership to buy a car, the salesmen said, you want to take a test drive? Go hire an agent to take you on one. It’s the same concept, I shouldn’t need to hire someone to buy something.

I know there are great realtors and when it comes to commercial properties, MF, etc. the brokers play a critical role in finding properties and vetting issues. My problem is so many SFH transactions these days don’t really need an agent and the commission did not adjust over time to reflect technology that makes the entire process easier. Agents simply spend less time today thanks to online listings, email, docusign, satellite imaging and maps, etc.
You can make that argument for every industry lol people do less and less at work thanks to technology.

Plenty of transactions need a realtor. Many buyers don't know WTH they are doing. I will give another example. I am working on a transaction I want to smash my head against the wall because the buyers agent has no control over their client. Client does not listen to guidance and instead listens to their attorney (like many are suggesting ITT) well, the attorney is a complete moron (and so is the sellers attorney sadly in this deal). They need to replace a water heater to close this transaction. Skoolie gives them a vendor that is reliable and a guy with a small crew. Buyer ignores that recommendation and basically hires Gold Metal plumbing (a huge service company) job costs twice as much and no one in that company knows what is going on to get a simple water heater installed.

I get buyers who want to cancel deals over the most asinine stuff. You are constantly trying to calm people down and explain things to them all while they give you this attitude like you're beneath them because you sell real estate.

How would you feel if the next time you went to a car dealership to buy a car, the salesmen said, you want to take a test drive? Go hire an agent to take you on one. It’s the same concept, I shouldn’t need to hire someone to buy something.
Buying a car does not require an inspection, a town inspection, a 6 figure loan, title insurance, attorneys...that is a terrible argument.

You can make that argument for every industry lol people do less and less at work thanks to technology.

Plenty of transactions need a realtor. Many buyers don't know WTH they are doing. I will give another example. I am working on a transaction I want to smash my head against the wall because the buyers agent has no control over their client. Client does not listen to guidance and instead listens to their attorney (like many are suggesting ITT) well, the attorney is a complete moron (and so is the sellers attorney sadly in this deal). They need to replace a water heater to close this transaction. Skoolie gives them a vendor that is reliable and a guy with a small crew. Buyer ignores that recommendation and basically hires Gold Metal plumbing (a huge service company) job costs twice as much and no one in that company knows what is going on to get a simple water heater installed.

I get buyers who want to cancel deals over the most asinine stuff. You are constantly trying to calm people down and explain things to them all while they give you this attitude like you're beneath them because you sell real estate.
I hear what you are saying and you deserve to make a living for sure…but when we are talking about a 5% commission in NJ where the median home price is probably close to $600K and in North Jersey likely closer to $800K+ does managing buyer/seller nonsense equate to a $30K-$50K commission? I personally don’t think so and perhaps those deals should just die and let unreasonable people learn a lesson. And I’ll say this - when I bought my first house before today’s technology existed I did rely on my agent for everything including finding and showing me God knows how many homes every week and she knew all the ins and outs of neighborhoods and schools = I drove her nuts and she earned every penny of that commission. But times have changed. All of that info is available to anyone and I lean heavily on Google Maps and street views.

Why would a buyer need to pay a commission to buy something- it is always the seller that does.

The seller pays out a commission from the funds of a buyer in any sales transaction. That’s not exclusive to real estate.

Buying a car does not require an inspection, a town inspection, a 6 figure loan, title insurance, attorneys...that is a terrible argument.
Buying a car absolutely requires a state inspection, manufacturer pre delivery inspection (PDI), insurance, title, loans that must meet certain LTV ratios which work extremely similar to home loan appraisals, a notary. It’s actually an extremely comparable argument.

My source being my personal experience of currently working in new home sales construction, $15 million in residential real estate last year alone $12 million closed so far this year) after spending a decade in the car business working my way up to GSM which I left in 2021.

I know both businesses very well, they are remarkably similar in structure

Reactions: RUskoolie
The seller pays out a commission from the funds of a buyer in any sales transaction. That’s not exclusive to real estate.
Correct but I don’t need to hire my own agent to buy a car. The cost of the commission is built into the price. I am not saying that an agent is not needed to sell a home, I just don’t know why I would need one to buy a home.

Aside from the attorney all of those things happen (on some scale) with a lot of big ticket purchases.

I hear what you are saying and you deserve to make a living for sure…but when we are talking about a 5% commission in NJ where the median home price is probably close to $600K and in North Jersey likely closer to $800K+ does managing buyer/seller nonsense equate to a $30K-$50K commission? I personally don’t think so and perhaps those deals should just die and let unreasonable people learn a lesson. And I’ll say this - when I bought my first house before today’s technology existed I did rely on my agent for everything including finding and showing me God knows how many homes every week and she knew all the ins and outs of neighborhoods and schools = I drove her nuts and she earned every penny of that commission. But times have changed. All of that info is available to anyone and I lean heavily on Google Maps and street views.
Great. You still need an agent to negotiate on your behalf and navigate all the stuff that comes up. There are many bad ones but the good ones are very good and that’s why they make big bucks

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
IMHO:

- it's a big cluster****. The NAR doesn't even know, from week-to-week, what to tell us on how to handle certain aspects.

- the # of zooms I've sat through about this, specifically the LISTING SIDE paperwork, is nauseating

- while I DO understand getting buyer-agency deals signed, on that side of things, it's a HUGE PITA when it comes to rentals (which, in JC/Hoboken, is a MAJOR part of our business....). We have to either a) get a 1-time "property" agreement for each place we show a potential client OR 2) get a "period of time" agreement in which the client has to pay you on ANYTHING you, or anyone else, shows him during that period of time (which is going to turn into a MAJOR disaster as clients use other agents to find them places and then do NOT want to pay you despite having signed the contract).

So, as I said earlier....CLUSTER****.

Last edited:
What I meant was: As a seller in this market I would give no more than 1% for the buyers agent. Always thought it was weird that the seller was paying for the buyers agent.
Okay...THIS I agree with....and is what you're going to see more of moving forward. The seller offering 2-3% to the listing agent, 0 - 1% to the buyer's agent, and the buyer's agent getting 1-3% from his client I have no issue here it's just a PITA right now.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Regardless of the percentage, payment should be capped at $10k for realtors. That's more than fair for the service.
WHY? How does this affect you and your life? I don't get a salary. I pay ALL my own expenses. Literally We live in a capitalistic society, the last I checked, so why should we have "capped" commissions as such? Does your Financial Advisor have "capped" commissions? Should servers and bartenders have 'capped" tips?

Question: do you want a "cap' on your salary? On your bonus?

Com'on man that's insane.

Last edited:
WHY? How does this affect you and your life? I don't get a salary. I pay ALL my own expenses. Literally We live in a capitalistic society, the last I checked, so why should we have "capped" commissions as such? Does your Financial Advisor have "capped" commissions? Should servers and bartenders have 'capped" tips?

Yes, in fact there are advisors and investment firms that cap commissions for the very reason we are talking about = 5% of a $5M investment sale and 5% of a $100M investment sale for the same product doesn’t make sense especially when it involves the same work. Just like the $500K v. $1M home scenario discussed. If the NAR and big brokers of the world didn’t lobby so hard over the years to keep the commissions status quo, technology and common sense would have addressed this problem. In your run of the mill deal, brokers do less work now than they did 20 years ago to service clients and close deals. No more hand delivering paperwork to houses. No more marathon showings. I remember the days of seeing 20 houses in a weekend with my broker. They grinded for sure. Now thanks to the Google Maps and info online I can easily rule out 50%+ of listings that years ago I would have made an agent show me.

Yes, in fact there are advisors and investment firms that cap commissions for the very reason we are talking about = 5% of a $5M investment sale and 5% of a $100M investment sale for the same product doesn’t make sense especially when it involves the same work. Just like the $500K v. $1M home scenario discussed. If the NAR and big brokers of the world didn’t lobby so hard over the years to keep the commissions status quo, technology and common sense would have addressed this problem. In your run of the mill deal, brokers do less work now than they did 20 years ago to service clients and close deals. No more hand delivering paperwork to houses. No more marathon showings. I remember the days of seeing 20 houses in a weekend with my broker. They grinded for sure. Now thanks to the Google Maps and info online I can easily rule out 50%+ of listings that years ago I would have made an agent show me.
There are - YES - but they CHOOSE to do so. I have NO problem at all with that. None.

There are - YES - but they CHOOSE to do so. I have NO problem at all with that. None.
At some point the traditional real estate agent model will get completely upended. This is just the beginning. It’s either going to a negotiated flat fee or a menu of services. Could be 5 years from now. Could be 50. But there is no way we’ll all be riding around in self-driving cars one day yet still pay 5% commissions.

Little defensive. :)

You keep acting like you just walk through a door and the house is yours. Are you forgetting all the crap we have to deal with once you think you want the home?

Great. You still need an agent to negotiate on your behalf and navigate all the stuff that comes up. There are many bad ones but the good ones are very good and that’s why they make big bucks
Let’s say Skoolie is a real estate agent . Say schiano gets hired to be the Dolphins HC so he wants to sell his jersey house and make to Florida . Say skoolie may know schiano and gets the listing to sell schiano’s house.
Now Skoolie has open house and it’s the best of the best of open houses because Skoolie is a good agent and he loves schiano. Skoolie gets an offer from customer 1 , represented by Jersey Joe of Remax out of Linden at 925k.
plum street is at open house and has no agent. Plum street really likes the house and Skoolie sees plum as serious buyer. Plum offers 900k with Skoolie.
Skoolie is now representing plum: skoolie is smart guy and knows 4 percent of 900k is better than 2 percent of 925k. Skoolie learned math at Rutgers
Skoolie takes both offers to schiano . Skoolie is legally bound to for this . But skoolie “knows “ Plum has the stronger offer and can “show” more money down , won’t bust balls on inspection . Skoolie even tells buddy schiano I will be there on inspections if you take plum’s offer. All good stuff and Skooolie submits the offer.
Plum is making the better offer ! Skoolie knows how the game is played

Last edited:
Let’s say Skoolie is a real estate agent . Say schiano gets hired to be the Dolphins HC so he wants to sell his jersey house and make to Florida . Say skoolie may know schiano and gets the listing to sell schiano’s house.
Now Skoolie has open house and it’s the best of the best of open houses because Skoolie is a good agent and he loves schiano. Skoolie gets an offer from customer 1 , represented by Jersey Joe of Remax out of Linden at 925k.
plum street is at open house and has no agent. Plum street really likes the house and Skoolie sees plum as serious buyer. Plum offers 900k with Skoolie.
Skoolie is now representing plum: skoolie is smart guy and knows 4 percent of 900k is better than 2 percent of 925k. Skoolie learned math at Rutgers
Skoolie takes both offers to schiano . Skoolie is legally bound to for this . But skoolie “knows “ Plum has the stronger offer and can “show” more money down , won’t bust balls on inspection . Skoolie even tells buddy schiano I will be there on inspections if you take plum’s offer. All good stuff and Skooolie submits the offer.
Plum is making the better offer ! Skoolie knows how the game is played
Except I have a fiduciary duty to my seller and need to present all offers or I could get in trouble. I have actually in the past when I am a dual agent, have told my clients to take the other offers even if I am going to make more money. I know you won't believe that, but thats what I do...and sometimes the better offer backs out and then I get to represent both. Representing the seller I want them to make as much money as possible with as little headache as possible. If someone wants something different than that please let me know.

You keep acting like you just walk through a door and the house is yours. Are you forgetting all the crap we have to deal with once you think you want the home?
There just isn’t that much crap to deal with anymore to warrant a 4-5% commission at least in comparison to 20 years ago. Sure, there are probably nightmare deals. But what are we talking about here once someone wants the home? Figuring out comps? Writing up an offer on a form? Competing offers? Coordinating Dates, inspections, etc.? Bickering over repairs and concessions? No doubt You deserve to get paid for all of this. Even if you spent 20 hours doing all that (which I doubt) at $500 p/hr it’s only $10K.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT