ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP, Dave Shaw, owner of The Train Station in Mountain Lakes

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
For those of you who are into model railroading or got toy trains for your kids, you may be familiar with The Train Station up here in North Jersey in Mountain Lakes. The store has been around since the 70's; Dave was the owner and took it over from his father. He passed away in August at the age of 61 after an 8 year battle with cancer.

This one has a personal connection for me. We'd been going there since the early 2000's, first started taking our boys there when they were toddlers. Dave always made time for them, would turn on the trains and let them run, perch them on stools to watch. But what made it so personal was in early 2013, when Tyler was finally able to not be confined to the house, I took him up to the store to look at trains. Dave knew what he had been through, came up, grabbed a conductors cap off the wall and put it on Tyler's head. (Tyler's hair was just starting to grow back at that point.) He treated Tyler like gold, walking around with him, running the trains, etc.

I made a point after Dave was diagnosed to get Tyler up there as much as I could when he was in HS and starting college, just to let him be a beacon in a sense for Dave. The last time I had Tyler up there was shortly before Christmas 2022 I believe.

Obituary for David Donald Frank Shaw

For those of you who are into model railroading or got toy trains for your kids, you may be familiar with The Train Station up here in North Jersey in Mountain Lakes. The store has been around since the 70's; Dave was the owner and took it over from his father. He passed away in August at the age of 61 after an 8 year battle with cancer.

This one has a personal connection for me. We'd been going there since the early 2000's, first started taking our boys there when they were toddlers. Dave always made time for them, would turn on the trains and let them run, perch them on stools to watch. But what made it so personal was in early 2013, when Tyler was finally able to not be confined to the house, I took him up to the store to look at trains. Dave knew what he had been through, came up, grabbed a conductors cap off the wall and put it on Tyler's head. (Tyler's hair was just starting to grow back at that point.) He treated Tyler like gold, walking around with him, running the trains, etc.

I made a point after Dave was diagnosed to get Tyler up there as much as I could when he was in HS and starting college, just to let him be a beacon in a sense for Dave. The last time I had Tyler up there was shortly before Christmas 2022 I believe.

I first thought it was the Mountain Lakes Station Restaurant. I know there is a train store across the street near Hapgoods but have never been. Sad to hear about Mr. Shaw.

Who? Of what? From where?
😁

Seriously, RIP. Sounds like it was a cool store.

What a great store. Dave always made time with the kids.
Extreme knowledge of the "gauge" industry.
Among other things I purchased over the years The Lionel "O" gage Union Pacific "Big Boy" which was the Santa of all Santa gifts which we still talk about Christmas time.

Reactions: newell138

WObituary for David Donald Frank Shaw
I prayed for Tyler when when he was ha bing his problems and I will pray for him right now to have a long ,full, healthy and happy life

I knew Dave through mutual friends in HS. Going to Morris Catholic we had a few kids from Mt Lakes Have not heard his name since those days. Too young. Had no idea that store existed which surprises me since my dad went to Mt Lakes HS and had a bunch of old Lionel trains when we were growing up
RIP

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Thanks for posting this. I missed this back when it happened. I used to go to the store all the time when my office was in East Hanover & Parsippany. It was pretty much a holiday tradition going there. RIP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT