ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roofer recommendation Central NJ

Saint Puppy

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2013
Anyone have a good roofer recommendation in Central NJ (Edison area) - we have flashing by the chimney and need moss treated on the roof.

Just spray the roof w/ some bleach/water mix and then blast it off w/ your hose, unless that is you let it get like this.

_DSC5344.jpg

Just spray the roof w/ some bleach/water mix and then blast it off w/ your hose, unless that is you let it get like this.

_DSC5344.jpg
Actually do not follow this advice. Blasting it with water will knock the granules off the surface of the shingles. The granules are there to keep the sun off the asphalt in the shingle. Once the ashalt gets exposed, the asphalt degrades, the shingles get brittle and fail. Also, if you have a roof warranty you most likely just invalidated it.

Actually do not follow this advice. Blasting it with water will knock the granules off the surface of the shingles. The granules are there to keep the sun off the asphalt in the shingle. Once the ashalt gets exposed, the asphalt degrades, the shingles get brittle and fail. Also, if you have a roof warranty you most likely just invalidated it.

Disagree. I didn't say powerwash I said hose. The hose after killing the moss w/ bleach will not be knocking off the granules much.

Disagree. I didn't say powerwash I said hose. The hose after killing the moss w/ bleach will not be knocking off the granules much.
You are still wrong. The bleach is fine; you said blast it off. Do that and you will be replacing the roof at some point.

Generally a garden hose doesn't generate enough water pressure to wash off the granules, they are stuck on the tiles very firmly. I put a shingle under the sump pump outlet and it actually was being blasted and the tile didn't lose very many granules. It wasn't power washer pressure of course.
Check this video out, for some reason I like watching all that moss die. The guy uses liquid pool shock and detergent for this bad roof.

Mix 4 gallons of water, 1 gallon of bleach and 1 cup of trisodium phosphate. Spray on with a garden pump sprayer and then rinse gently. Make sure to protect shrubs underneath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT