ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowan getting $30 million gift for new vet school

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
Some of you have suggested that Rutgers establish a veterinary school, so I thought you'd be interested to know that Rowan has just broken ground on one, thanks to $75 million from the New Jersey Legislature. The school will be named for Gerald Shreiber, who built J & J Snack Food Company into a business with more than $1 billion in annual revenue. Shreiber the $30 million gift for scholarships. He is an animal lover and his son is a graduate of Penn's vet school. The school is expected to open in 2025 with a class of 60 to 70 students. https://www.inquirer.com/news/rowan-university-gift-veterinary-school-gerald-shreiber-20230428.html

It's pretty incredible what they've been able to transform themselves into ever since Henry Rowan gave them 90 million dollars 30 years ago

They have lofty aspirations and aren't afraid to take chances

It'll be interesting to see where they stand academically in the next 10-15 years and beyond as they have the land to expand and grand visions of excellence

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
It's pretty incredible what they've been able to transform themselves into ever since Henry Rowan gave them 90 million dollars 30 years ago

They have lofty aspirations and aren't afraid to take chances

It'll be interesting to see where they stand academically in the next 10-15 years and beyond as they have the land to expand and grand visions of excellence
The key phrase in your post is "aren't afraid to take chances." Of course, taking chances can work out well -- or be a disaster. Most colleges and universities are risk-averse because the future is unpredictable; Rowan clearly is not. Opening a vet school is risky: there is growing demand for vets, but there are only 32 vet schools in the entire nation, there is an excellent one right across the river at Penn, and there is a high burnout rate among vets that might deter people from wanting to become vets. As you say, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-15 years.

The key phrase in your post is "aren't afraid to take chances." Of course, taking chances can work out well -- or be a disaster. Most colleges and universities are risk-averse because the future is unpredictable; Rowan clearly is not. Opening a vet school is risky: there is growing demand for vets, but there are only 32 vet schools in the entire nation, there is an excellent one right across the river at Penn, and there is a high burnout rate among vets that might deter people from wanting to become vets. As you say, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10-15 years.
I agree

They have a ton of land to expand
And the vision, foresight, and guts to keep going

I expect them to continue climbing
How high, how fast and to what extent remains to be seen

Will they make the jump from D3?
That’s the other question

Reactions: tico brown
I agree

They have a ton of land to expand
And the vision, foresight, and guts to keep going

I expect them to continue climbing
How high, how fast and to what extent remains to be seen

Will they make the jump from D3?
That’s the other question
I think (without having any inside info) that they will try to raise the money to jump from D3 so that the institution becomes more visible. If Wagner can be D1 (FCS), Rowan can do the same. Perhaps it will eventually try for FBS. As far as the Rowan administration is concerned, the sky's the limit.

My question is how much is tuition

According to USNWR, the average vet salary is 100k. Not average upon graduation but average overall.

It's such an essential job, but the costs just astronomical and don't get paid off.

I don't see this being a big win for them.

I have never been on their campus but I assume it's more rural than ours, and certainly it's closer to rural areas than we are, so it makes sense.

My question is how much is tuition

According to USNWR, the average vet salary is 100k. Not average upon graduation but average overall.

It's such an essential job, but the costs just astronomical and don't get paid off.

I don't see this being a big win for them.

I have never been on their campus but I assume it's more rural than ours, and certainly it's closer to rural areas than we are, so it makes sense.
Much more rural
Lots of farms around
Not afraid to use immenient domain
Tutition still reasonable

I think (without having any inside info) that they will try to raise the money to jump from D3 so that the institution becomes more visible. If Wagner can be D1 (FCS), Rowan can do the same. Perhaps it will eventually try for FBS. As far as the Rowan administration is concerned, the sky's the limit.
They’ve been talking about making the jump up for awhile

Almost got the Philadelphia union to play on their new campus w a 20k stadium

Would have been ideal as a mixed use venue for soccer and FCS fb

I think it was a full $100M. Certainly transformational. The engineering school established as a result is making strides and the university has climbed up to the R2 research level designation.

I think it was a full $100M. Certainly transformational. The engineering school established as a result is making strides and the university has climbed up to the R2 research level designation.
Couple buddies from Rowan are engineers
They’re doing quite well $ wise

Their Master Plan included a 25K seat stadium. Big enough for FCS.

They need to rebrand as the Rams (for the alliteration 😎) since Profs is eh and change one of their colors. The brown and gold/yellow combo is awful. UPS and/or baby poop, not a good look.👎

Maroon and gold/yellow…fine.

Forest green and gold/yellow…fine.

Any type of blue with gold/yellow…fine.

Brown and white…okay. Not as good but okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
Much more rural
Lots of farms around
Rowan and the Rutgers-Rowan board (the board in charge of creating a corridor between Rutgers-Camden and Cooper Hospital in Camden) have not hesitated to use eminent domain (the power of government to force a landowner to sell to the government) to acquire land they want. Rutgers has traditionally been very reluctant to use eminent domain-- I think that's a byproduct of controversy long ago about expansion of the New Brunswick-Piscataway campus.

Last edited:
Their Master Plan included a 25K seat stadium. Big enough for FCS.

They need to rebrand as the Rams (for the alliteration 😎) as Profs is eh and change one of their colors. The brown and gold/yellow combo is awful. UPS and/or baby poop, not a good look.👎

Maroon and gold/yellow…fine.

Forest green and gold/yellow…fine.

Any type of blue with gold/yellow…fine.

Brown and white…okay. Not as good but okay.
Was the 25k seat stadium in conjunction w the Union before they built PPL Park over the river in Chester?

Much more rural
Lots of farms around
As of 2022, Rowan's in-state undergraduate tuition was identical to Rutgers.' But tuition for the vet program will certainly be higher than for undergraduates, just as law students pay substantially more than undergraduates. The tuition level for the vet school will be important in attracting students; but so will the scholarships made available by the $30 million gift.

If Wilkipedia is right, then there was a proposal for a Philadelphia Union stadium on the Rowan campus over fifteen years ago -- then Governor Corzine killed the idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Union The idea doesn't make much sense to me -- it's a pretty long drive to Rowan from almost all of the Philly metro area.
I thought so too.

But two things…

Google maps said give or take 30 minutes “Philadelphia” when you plug it in. For some reason I thought it was further.

And if I recall, on the Master Plan map the facility was lined for football.

I thought so too.

But two things…

Google maps said give or take 30 minutes “Philadelphia” when you plug it in. For some reason I thought it was further.

And if I recall, on the Master Plan map the facility was lined for football.
It's thirty minutes when there's no traffic from Center City. Most fans, though, live in the suburbs, many of them on the Philadelphia side of the Delaware. It would be substantially longer for those in the Philly suburbs. I am in the Jersey suburbs and the Rowan campus is 25 minutes from me with no traffic.

The idea was to have a stadium usable both for football and soccer.

Last edited:
It's thirty minutes when there's no traffic from Center City. Most fans, though, live in the suburbs, many of them on the Philadelphia side of the Delaware. It would be substantially longer for those in the Philly suburbs. I am in the Jersey suburbs and the Rowan campus is 25 minutes from me with no traffic.

The idea was to have a stadium usable both for football and soccer.
Well I did do the map thing late at night so…lol

Well I did do the map thing late at night so…lol
The trip is very difficult in late afternoon/evening traffic. (I drove in that area virtually every night in my working days, although I was fortunate that I didn't have to go all the way before traffic cleared.) There is a lot of congestion in South Jersey because of traffic coming off the Walt Whitman bridge. The team would have to be careful how it scheduled its games.

Much more rural
Lots of farms around

Rowan tuition in state $14,376
Rutgers tuition $11,716

I don't think that's the issue here. What I'm saying is tuition for vet school where the average salary is going to be 100k (maybe a little higher in NJ) and kids are going to be footing the bill for a 4 year degree before that.

Rowan tuition in state $14,376
Rutgers tuition $11,716

I don't think that's the issue here. What I'm saying is tuition for vet school where the average salary is going to be 100k (maybe a little higher in NJ) and kids are going to be footing the bill for a 4 year degree before that.
I think you're comparing Rowan tuition and fees with Rutgers tuition alone. Moreover, undergrad tuition/ fees at Rutgers vary from school to school (engineering, pharmacy and nursing are higher) and from campus to campus. When I do the math for Rutgers SAS, I get $15,574 a year compared to Rowan $14,376. That means @JayDogSmooth was right when he said that Rowan's tuition is reasonable.

But none of this applies to the vet school because, as a professional school, its tuition will be higher. That's why it's so important that Rowan is getting that $30 million from Schreiber for scholarships. BTW, so far as I can tell, he never went to college. But he loves animals, and so he was willing to help a new vet school. Maybe he would have done the same for Rutgers if it had established a vet school.

Rowan trying to establish themselves as basically the #2 public school in NJ behind RU-NB. I can dig it if they want to be the Michigan State to our U of Michigan in NJ. I like the idea of Rowan being the 2nd tier public school in NJ better than a wannabe Princeton with an overinflated self-worth that isn't anywhere near as good academically as Princeton (TCNJ).

Last edited:
If Wilkipedia is right, then there was a proposal for a Philadelphia Union stadium on the Rowan campus over fifteen years ago -- then Governor Corzine killed the idea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Union The idea doesn't make much sense to me -- it's a pretty long drive to Rowan from almost all of the Philly metro area.
I work in Swedesboro (Exit 2 of the Turnpike), and it takes me at least 20 minutes to get to Rowan on 322 East, closer to a half hour with traffic. Rowan is further away from Philly than people think.

I think you're comparing Rowan tuition and fees with Rutgers tuition alone. Moreover, undergrad tuition/ fees at Rutgers vary from school to school (engineering, pharmacy and nursing are higher) and from campus to campus. When I do the math for Rutgers SAS, I get $15,574 a year compared to Rowan $14,376. That means @JayDogSmooth was right when he said that Rowan's tuition is reasonable.

But none of this applies to the vet school because, as a professional school, its tuition will be higher. That's why it's so important that Rowan is getting that $30 million from Schreiber for scholarships. BTW, so far as I can tell, he never went to college. But he loves animals, and so he was willing to help a new vet school. Maybe he would have done the same for Rutgers if it had established a vet school.
Rowan will always be cheaper than Rutgers-NB simply due to the academic prestige that RU-NB has over Rowan. Rowan is like Michigan State compared to Rutgers-NB which is like U of Michigan. I'm all for Rowan getting stronger academically as that in turn will allow RU-NB to become more selective with acceptance and strengthen RU-NB's academic rep as well.

I work in Swedesboro (Exit 2 of the Turnpike), and it takes me at least 20 minutes to get to Rowan on 322 East, closer to a half hour with traffic. Rowan is further away from Philly than people think.
Believe it or not, I know of a professor at Rowan who commutes from Philadelphia's Main Line suburbs. It's a close-in suburb, but still that has to be a long trip. She was recently on Jeopardy.

Rowan trying to establish themselves as basically the #2 public school in NJ behind RU-NB. I can dig it if they want to be the Michigan State to our U of Michigan in NJ. I like the idea of Rowan being the 2nd tier public school in NJ better than a wannabe Princeton with an overinflated self-worth that isn't anywhere near as good academically as Princeton (TCNJ).
TCNJ's SAT profile is significantly better than Rowan's, though not as good as Rutgers-New Brunswick. Yet TCNJ's tuition and fees are markedly higher than either school. Maybe Rowan's SAT profile will improve as time goes on. You can tell that Rowan is becoming the dominant school in South Jersey -- Rowan's SAT profile is a little better than Rutgers-Camden. That may be primarily because Rutgers-Camden doesn't have a four-year engineering program. But rowan is edging ahead.

It would make RU about a grand more...I doubt anyone is choosing colleges on that basis.

I think these days the only NJ school anyone chooses over RU in Princeton. In my day some may have chose TCNJ but based on the numbers that seems to not be a thing anymore.

TCNJ's SAT profile is significantly better than Rowan's, though not as good as Rutgers-New Brunswick. Yet TCNJ's tuition and fees are markedly higher than either school. Maybe Rowan's SAT profile will improve as time goes on. You can tell that Rowan is becoming the dominant school in South Jersey -- Rowan's SAT profile is a little better than Rutgers-Camden. That may be primarily because Rutgers-Camden doesn't have a four-year engineering program. But rowan is edging ahead.

I'm a millennial, and in my day TCNJ was considered harder to get into than RU. Their SAT/GPA numbers were better.

So whatever TCNJ had, they let it slip away. Rowan should study that closely.

My guess is there's a lot of NJ kids and parents who are OK with Glassboro- and probably most north of 195 have never heard of it- versus Camden.

I think that's a point in favor of Rowan- it will seem like "going away" to a lot kids and parents because the geographic center of NJ population wise is probably a solid hour away (last i read it's in Jackson).

Virginia is the 12th largest state population wise to NJ's 11...we could probably have something like

RU/UVA
TCNJ/W&M
Rowan/VT

And that's before we get to the NJ parent favorite of JMU lol

It would make RU about a grand more...I doubt anyone is choosing colleges on that basis.

I think these days the only NJ school anyone chooses over RU in Princeton. In my day some may have chose TCNJ but based on the numbers that seems to not be a thing anymore.
What College of NJ has going for it, IMHO, is that its undergraduate enrollment is 7000, as compared to roughly 16,000 at Rowan and 36,000 at Rutgers-New Brunswick. There will always be some students and parents who prefer a smaller school (even though 7000 isn't *that* small) without paying private college tuition.

It would be interesting to know, first, what the application trends have been at all three schools (e.g. is New Brunswick's better SAT profile a matter of TCNJs going down or Rutgers' going up) and, second, which between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan is attracting more applications from South Jersey high school students. I suspect, but do not know, that Rowan gets more South Jersey applications because it has an engineering school and a bigger teacher preparation program. The fact that Rowan is twice Rutgers-Camden's size with a slightly better SAT profile suggests that Rowan is getting more applications even in South Jersey.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Virginia is the 12th largest state population wise to NJ's 11...we could probably have something like

RU/UVA
TCNJ/W&M
Rowan/VT

And that's before we get to the NJ parent favorite of JMU lol
At this time there's no NJ equivalent of JMU in state as Stockton is hideous academically and the only possible selling point is attending college near AC/the Shore.

Last edited:
What College of NJ has going for it, IMHO, is that its undergraduate enrollment is 7000, as compared to roughly 16,000 at Rowan and 36,000 at Rutgers-New Brunswick. There will always be some students and parents who prefer a smaller school (even though 7000 isn't *that* small) without paying private college tuition.

It would be interesting to know, first, what the application trends have been at all three schools (e.g. is New Brunswick's better SAT profile a matter of TCNJs going down or Rutgers' going up) and, second, which between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan is attracting more applications from South Jersey high school students. I suspect, but do not know, that Rowan gets more South Jersey applications because it has an engineering school and a bigger teacher preparation program. The fact that Rowan is twice Rutgers-Camden's size with a slightly better SAT profile suggests that Rowan is getting more applications even in South Jersey.
Rowan does have the stigma of being a "teacher college" but is losing that over the years.

I'm a millennial, and in my day TCNJ was considered harder to get into than RU. Their SAT/GPA numbers were better.

So whatever TCNJ had, they let it slip away. Rowan should study that closely.

My guess is there's a lot of NJ kids and parents who are OK with Glassboro- and probably most north of 195 have never heard of it- versus Camden.

I think that's a point in favor of Rowan- it will seem like "going away" to a lot kids and parents because the geographic center of NJ population wise is probably a solid hour away (last i read it's in Jackson).
Exactly, much like South Jersey kids consider RU-NB as going away for college. On good traffic days it takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to get to RU-NB from most of the Philly suburban counties of South Jersey (Burlington/Camden/Gloucester).

Rowan does have the stigma of being a "teacher college" but is losing that over the years.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's long since lost that. And I think it's an advantage to Rowan to have an program to prepare teachers. This is one of the *many* things that Rutgers-Camden lacks. As for stigma, well, being in Camden (and having Camden in the name) is enough of a stigma for Rutgers-Camden.

Rowan is known for having a top notch social/party scene on campus. They also invest heavily in athletics. These are big draws for students as they compare/contrast schools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT