ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowan getting $30 million gift for new vet school

Women are taking over the profession their passion for animals far outweighs what they’ll make. Also there’s simply no farm vets in the state. We got lucky a women just opened up a practice here in Howell 2 yrs.ago. Before that we had to be careful with the animals we got. As getting someone out here was close to impossible.

Just for reference on what they can make, an emergency call is $200 just for her and helper showing up. And I’m not sh*tting you just yesterday a horse had Colic they were here for 30 mins.. (horses are fvcking babies) Medication and force feeding water cost another $125. Most of their calls are emergencies with some scheduled general maintenance.
Maybe this is just me, but the prices you cite doesn't seem terribly high to me -- especially not for a horse, a valuable animal. If that's all a vet can charge, then it's no surprise to me that there are "simply no farm vets in the state."

Maybe this is just me, but the prices you cite doesn't seem terribly high to me -- especially not for a horse, a valuable animal. If that's all a vet can charge, then it's no surprise to me that there are "simply no farm vets in the state."
What if you have a stable of horses, coop full of chickens and herd of pigs to go along with that.

I think that’s the point @koleszar was making…it would be great if only got sick. Once a year. 😜

She can probably do 6 to 8 of these a day minus expenses and overhead you’re looking at somewhere around $1500 a day. She was only here for 1/2 an hour. If she is here longer doing all the animals inoculations it a lot more.

What if you have a stable of horses, coop full of chickens and herd of pigs to go along with that.

I think that’s the point @koleszar was making…it would be great if only got sick. Once a year. 😜
Oh, I'm sure you're right that maintaining that many animals is a considerable financial strain on the owner. But I"m not sure that the per-animal charge is enough for the vet to make a living on. Yes, she can do more than one of these in a day, but I doubt that every call is an emergency call, and I would think she can charge more for such calls.

It seems to me she's not going to gross much more than a plumber. I don't say that to criticize plumbers (where would we be without plumbers?), but a plumber hasn't had to make the huge investment in education that a vet must. Not many people are going to want to make that kind of investment for this return. But maybe I'm totally wrong (which wouldn't be for the first time.)

Oh, I'm sure you're right that maintaining that many animals is a considerable financial strain on the owner. But I"m not sure that the per-animal charge is enough for the vet to make a living on. Yes, she can do more than one of these in a day, but I doubt that every call is an emergency call, and I would think she can charge more for such calls.

It seems to me she's not going to gross much more than a plumber. I don't say that to criticize plumbers (where would we be without plumbers?), but a plumber hasn't had to make the huge investment in education that a vet must. Not many people are going to want to make that kind of investment for this return. But maybe I'm totally wrong (which wouldn't be for the first time.)
Do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Or something like that. 🙂

That was different. The market for recent law school grads abruptly collapsed. With vet school, people know what they're getting into. If anything, the demand for vets is getting better as people cosset their "fur babies."

We'll see...IMO the lawyer economy never recovered 100% to what it was, but maybe with more people having pets it's better. Certainly with people not having to be in an office everyday, more people get dogs and cats and spoil them.

Do something you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Or something like that. 🙂

Certainly more people feel this way now than they did in 2019. But you still need money to do most things you like...at least I think so. But maybe a Gen Z would say I'm crazy lol

We'll see...IMO the lawyer economy never recovered 100% to what it was, but maybe with more people having pets it's better. Certainly with people not having to be in an office everyday, more people get dogs and cats and spoil them.
I don't follow the legal profession as closely as I once did, but your impression of the "lawyer economy" seems right to me. Clients became more cost-conscious. In particular, they were no longer willing to pay to, in effect, train young lawyers in firms. In addition, paralegals and computers now do some of what new lawyers once did, e.g. laboriously go through documents. And you're certainly right that remote work has made it easier to have pets. So we'll see what happens.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I don't follow the legal profession as closely as I once did, but your impression of the "lawyer economy" seems right to me. Clients became more cost-conscious. In particular, they were no longer willing to pay to, in effect, train young lawyers in firms. In addition, paralegals and computers now do some of what new lawyers once did, e.g. laboriously go through documents. And you're certainly right that remote work has made it easier to have pets. So we'll see what happens.

The great resignation and current events regarding the profession don't help. And I think it was fragile by the time COVID rolled around, even though the collapse began in 08. Will definitely be something to watch.

The great resignation and current events regarding the profession don't help. And I think it was fragile by the time COVID rolled around, even though the collapse began in 08. Will definitely be something to watch.
I'm sure you'd agree that it wouldn't be the end of the world if fewer people apply to law school or become lawyers. Nor would it be tragic if a few law schools die.

I'm sure you'd agree that it wouldn't be the end of the world if fewer people apply to law school or become lawyers. Nor would it be tragic if a few law schools die.

Law schools dying definitely not lol.

BUT we do need more people to be lawyers in rural areas and we also need more public defenders and less glamorous lawyers for other (unfortunately and unfairly) low paid jobs.

Law schools dying definitely not lol.

BUT we do need more people to be lawyers in rural areas and we also need more public defenders and less glamorous lawyers for other (unfortunately and unfairly) low paid jobs.
I absolutely agree -- but it seems impossible to get lawyers into less glamorous jobs no matter how many law school graduates there are. BTW, I'm sure you've heard the joke that what a lawyer in a small town needs is for there to be another lawyer in town so the two can make money litigating against the other.

I absolutely agree -- but it seems impossible to get lawyers into less glamorous jobs no matter how many law school graduates there are. BTW, I'm sure you've heard the joke that what a lawyer in a small town needs is for there to be another lawyer in town so the two can make money litigating against the other.

I think if there were tuition caps or better loan forgiveness, it's possible. Some people do have passion for those things, like vets, teachers, nurses, etc.

I think if there were tuition caps or better loan forgiveness, it's possible. Some people do have passion for those things, like vets, teachers, nurses, etc.
NYU has the Root/Tilden/Kern scholarships for those committing themselves to do public interest work. I don't know the overall numbers, but I do know of examples of graduates who did not go on to do public interest work, even though this necessitated that they pay back the scholarship. Private practice is just too lucrative. Maybe more loan forgiveness would help; at least that benefits those who are actually engaged in public interest work or other positions that benefit clients who don't have a vast amount of money.

I got tired of commencement speakers stressing the need for public service when it is just so hard to afford for almost all graduates.

Their Master Plan included a 25K seat stadium. Big enough for FCS.

They need to rebrand as the Rams (for the alliteration 😎) since Profs is eh and change one of their colors. The brown and gold/yellow combo is awful. UPS and/or baby poop, not a good look.👎

Maroon and gold/yellow…fine.

Forest green and gold/yellow…fine.

Any type of blue with gold/yellow…fine.

Brown and white…okay. Not as good but okay.
Profs (Owls) is fine as it is a unique name for a mascot:

Brown and Gold is also a unique combo that is brandable.

Would like to see if they would make the jump to FCS. Definitely in better shape right now than Wagner and similar schools that has no business being FCS level.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

Would like to see if they would make the jump to FCS. Definitely in better shape right now than Wagner and similar schools that has no business being FCS level.
I have no inside information, but I would be amazed if they don't make the jump. I wouldn't be surprised either if they get some big donations -- the school seems very good at raising money.

Reactions: tico brown

It’s not.

Unique, sure. Brandable, agree to disagree.😉

The four options (with the exception of maybe the last one) I gave are much more of a better palate than the current.

And if it does happen, why not make the clean sweep and start over…new name/mascot, new colors, new era.

Reactions: bigmatt718
NYU has the Root/Tilden/Kern scholarships for those committing themselves to do public interest work. I don't know the overall numbers, but I do know of examples of graduates who did not go on to do public interest work, even though this necessitated that they pay back the scholarship. Private practice is just too lucrative. Maybe more loan forgiveness would help; at least that benefits those who are actually engaged in public interest work or other positions that benefit clients who don't have a vast amount of money.

I got tired of commencement speakers stressing the need for public service when it is just so hard to afford for almost all graduates.
Nothing wrong with the concept of public service as it pertains to the other aspects of it. But I do see your point with regard to the legal profession…not only is the money not there but the perception isn’t so hot either.

It’s not.

Unique, sure. Brandable, agree to disagree.😉

The four options (with the exception of maybe the last one) I gave are much more of a better palate than the current.

And if it does happen, why not make the clean sweep and start over…new name/mascot, new colors, new era.
I'm with you. An FCS school named the Profs with the same school colors as human waste would be ridiculed. They can get away with that at the D3 level, but not D1.

Nothing wrong with the concept of public service as it pertains to the other aspects of it. But I do see your point with regard to the legal profession…not only is the money not there but the perception isn’t so hot either.
Thanks for agreeing, but could you clarify what you mean by "the perception isn't so hot either?" I'm not sure what you mean.

When the day comes that Rowan announces that they are indeed moving up to D1 athletics, they need to be initiated by losing by 55+ in football to Rutgers-NB and 40 in basketball to RU-NB in their first respective games in each sport.

Thanks for agreeing, but could you clarify what you mean by "the perception isn't so hot either?" I'm not sure what you mean.
As an outsider, and I don’t want to speak for others, when you hear…he/she is legal aid or a public defender…eh.🤷‍♂️

At least that’s how it’s portrayed in popular culture. To me anyway.

As an outsider, and I don’t want to speak for others, when you hear…he/she is legal aid or a public defender…eh.🤷‍♂️

At least that’s how it’s portrayed in popular culture. To me anyway.
FWIW, I don't think that's the perception within the profession. Of course, there are bad as well as good legal aid lawyers and public defenders, but I don't think any lawyer generalizes about legal aid lawyers and public defenders as you suggest.

FWIW, I don't think that's the perception within the profession. Of course, there are bad as well as good legal aid lawyers and public defenders, but I don't think any lawyer generalizes about legal aid lawyers and public defenders as you suggest.
Again, just speaking from someone way outside the industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT