ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rowan getting $30 million gift for new vet school

Rowan trying to establish themselves as basically the #2 public school in NJ behind RU-NB. I can dig it if they want to be the Michigan State to our U of Michigan in NJ. I like the idea of Rowan being the 2nd tier public school in NJ better than a wannabe Princeton with an overinflated self-worth that isn't anywhere near as good academically as Princeton (TCNJ).
Virginia is the 12th largest state population wise to NJ's 11...we could probably have something like

RU/UVA
TCNJ/W&M
Rowan/VT

And that's before we get to the NJ parent favorite of JMU lol
Hard to imagine Rowan becoming the #2 public in NJ, as it's far behind TCNJ and NJIT in terms of academics and rankings (not to mention R-Newark and R-Camden). Putting Rowan in the same stratosphere as VT and MSU is wild and I can't imagine they ever get there.

What College of NJ has going for it, IMHO, is that its undergraduate enrollment is 7000, as compared to roughly 16,000 at Rowan and 36,000 at Rutgers-New Brunswick. There will always be some students and parents who prefer a smaller school (even though 7000 isn't *that* small) without paying private college tuition.

It would be interesting to know, first, what the application trends have been at all three schools (e.g. is New Brunswick's better SAT profile a matter of TCNJs going down or Rutgers' going up) and, second, which between Rutgers-Camden and Rowan is attracting more applications from South Jersey high school students. I suspect, but do not know, that Rowan gets more South Jersey applications because it has an engineering school and a bigger teacher preparation program. The fact that Rowan is twice Rutgers-Camden's size with a slightly better SAT profile suggests that Rowan is getting more applications even in South Jersey.

Numbers are certainly up at RU...average SAT over 1300 now versus 1200s say 10 years ago.

I am not sure that TCNJ has not ascended because of RU. It's an interesting question.

Both are public schools, so relative lower cost should help both. I think RU is helped by B1G affiliation. Perhaps more kids now like big schools- certainly a lot of smaller schools are suffering right now.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Hard to imagine Rowan becoming the #2 public in NJ, as it's far behind TCNJ and NJIT in terms of academics and rankings (not to mention R-Newark and R-Camden). Putting Rowan in the same stratosphere as VT and MSU is wild and I can't imagine they ever get there.

They're not there or close, what I'm saying is maybe they serve a purpose. Increasingly, more kids go to bigger public schools, and lots of NJ kids leave when the state could keep that tuition money.

When I say second I mean in size- TCNJ and NJIT are more niche- they're not bigger public schools.

Reactions: Leonard23
They're not there or close, what I'm saying is maybe they serve a purpose. Increasingly, more kids go to bigger public schools, and lots of NJ kids leave when the state could keep that tuition money.

When I say second I mean in size- TCNJ and NJIT are more niche- they're not bigger public schools.
If we want to keep New Jersey high school graduates in the state, then there have to be places in the state for them to attend. There aren't nearly enough college seats in the state to accommodate high school graduates. So, yes, we need public institutions to become bigger. Right now, Montclair has more undergrads than Rowan. Maybe that will change as Rowan expands. As to who is or becomes the #2 public institution in the state, it is interesting to speculate about but not really that important.

Numbers are certainly up at RU...average SAT over 1300 now versus 1200s say 10 years ago.

I am not sure that TCNJ has not ascended because of RU. It's an interesting question.

Both are public schools, so relative lower cost should help both. I think RU is helped by B1G affiliation. Perhaps more kids now like big schools- certainly a lot of smaller schools are suffering right now.
Smaller schools are suffering because they have to price themselves really high. I think it's probably more a matter of that than students preferring a large school experience.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
the geographic center of NJ population wise is probably a solid hour away (last i read it's in Jackson)
Hmmm, difficult for me to believe that the center of the state population-wise is that close to the actual geographic center. I think even in the 2020s there is still a good bit more population in the northern half than in southern half.

Rowan trying to establish themselves as basically the #2 public school in NJ behind RU-NB. I can dig it if they want to be the Michigan State to our U of Michigan in NJ. I like the idea of Rowan being the 2nd tier public school in NJ better than a wannabe Princeton with an overinflated self-worth that isn't anywhere near as good academically as Princeton (TCNJ).

@NotInRHouse beat me to it regarding CNJ as I'm of a similar opinion that the parallel to W&M is more apt versus a very large public like MSU. But in the Virginia example, I think it would be more analogous to have NJIT as a parallel to VT rather than Rowan. That could change in the coming decades.

Last edited:
And that's before we get to the NJ parent favorite of JMU lol
Been 30+ years since a classmate in HS (top 5%) decided Harrisonburg, VA was somewhere they'd voluntarily spend 4 years and I'm still wondering all these years later what cachet JMU has. Short trips to hike around Shenandoah NP notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Wrong....With all the Community College relationships with Rowan in S. Jersey they own a good portion of NJ. If you have not been there recently you would not recognize. Great apartments and downtown life.

Except for football most sports are performing very well.

Last edited:
Wrong....With all the Community College relationships with Rowan in S. Jersey they own a good portion of NJ. If you have not been there recently you would not recognize. Great apartments and downtown life.

They just need to move up to D1 in all sports by 2030 to really take off IMO, and the way the school has invested in seemingly everything else, that seems to be a when, not an if. They'll need at least like a 3K basketball arena on or near campus. Their football stadium size is adequate for D1 FCS.

• Love
Reactions: Luvscarletknights

B1G affiliation has definitely helped RU-NB attract students it would likely not have a decade or so ago. RU academic rep is enhanced by rubbing elbows with schools like Michigan, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, OSU, and soon to be UCLA and USC in the B1G as opposed to Catholic schools that RU has nothing in common with in the BE or 2nd/3rd rate state schools like Temple in the AAC. Case in point is RU building the largest Cancer Hospital in the state of NJ in downtown NB. There's zero chance that project comes to light without B1G affiliation.

B1G affiliation has definitely helped RU-NB attract students it would likely not have a decade or so ago. RU academic rep is enhanced by rubbing elbows with schools like Michigan, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, OSU, and soon to be UCLA and USC in the B1G as opposed to Catholic schools that RU has nothing in common with in the BE or 2nd/3rd rate state schools like Temple in the AAC. Case in point is RU building the largest Cancer Hospital in the state of NJ in downtown NB. There's zero chance that project comes to light without B1G affiliation.
You have just explained very well why the academic administration strongly believed even twenty years ago that Rutgers should become part of the B1G.

Hmmm, difficult for me to believe that the center of the state population-wise is that close to the actual geographic center. I think even in the 2020s there is still a good bit more population in the northern half than in southern half.
Here is information about finding the geographic center of New Jersey. A lot depends on whether you include the portions of the waters surrounding New Jersey that are part of its boundaries. https://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/infocirc/NJCentersIC.pdf

LMAO, what's wrong? The facts clearly show that Rowan is far behind TCNJ and NJIT academically and in rankings. Below are the US News rankings and SAT ranges. Also, Montclair actually has a slightly higher undergrad enrollment 16,093 vs 15,147 for Rowan.

I didn't mention anything about sports so I don't know where that comment is coming from.

Rutgers NB #55, SAT 1240-1470
TCNJ #5 RN, SAT 1170-1350
NJIT #97, SAT 1180-1430

R-Newark #115, SAT 1030-1270
R-Camden #127, SAT 1040-1230
Montclair #182, SAT 1010-1210
Stockton #182, SAT 1050-1250
Rowan #194, SAT 1070-1280

LMAO, what's wrong? The facts clearly show that Rowan is far behind TCNJ and NJIT academically and in rankings. Below are the US News rankings and SAT ranges. Also, Montclair actually has a slightly higher undergrad enrollment 16,093 vs 15,147 for Rowan.

I didn't mention anything about sports so I don't know where that comment is coming from.

NJIT #97, SAT 1180-1430

We were talking about large universities. Not suitcase schools with nothing to do.

It is easier to be selective when you have a small enrollment or a Big 10 affiliation.

How many hospitals are affiliated with CNJ. Rowan has at least 3 hospital affiliations.

BTW: looking at SAT's they are 4th on your list regarding ranges. My daughter went to Rowan because RU did not have Athletic Training as a major. My son is pre-vet at Rutgers but will probably end up going to veterinary school at Rowan if price is right.

Last edited:

NJIT #97, SAT 1180-1430

Notice Rowan's SAT numbers are better than Rutgers-Camden's or Rutgers-Newark's.

Notice Rowan's SAT numbers are better than Rutgers-Camden's or Rutgers-Newark's.
And Montclair State and Stockton. I got my Masters at NJIT and no one seemed to live on campus in mid-90's.

I also know that NJIT gives a lot of scholarships to good students to boost admission which in turn increases SAT

Last edited:
And Montclair State and Stockton. I got my Masters at NJIT and no one seemed to live on campus in mid-90's.

I also know that NJIT gives a lot of scholarships to good students to boost admission which in turn increases SAT
Stockton stinks academically. They're what Rowan was in the early 2000s. Their only selling point is the ability to go to school 10 mins away from AC and the South Jersey Shore Points, which does nothing for students outside of maybe September in the fall semester.

How many hospitals are affiliated with CNJ.
Not any direct hospital affiliations afaik and I believe the only medical education that CNJ offers is a nursing program (undergrad & graduate). That said, the school still does sponsor a 7-yr accelerated Bachelor-MD program in conjunction with Rutgers (and previously UMDNJ) NJMS in Newark which has been ongoing for at least the past 30 years.

no one seemed to live on campus in mid-90's.
Things have changed a bit in nearly 30 years (just like at ol' Glassboro State College, right?), though probably not as rapidly for NJIT (more constrained by their urban campus) as it has for Rowan and their ambitious leadership. Good for both schools to be expanding where possible.

Smaller schools are suffering because they have to price themselves really high. I think it's probably more a matter of that than students preferring a large school experience.

TCNJ tuition isn't much higher than ours- 17k and change.

Idk what the numbers look like on smaller publics in other states like say SUNY Geneseo.

I think the math on the smaller NJ private schools never worked. They're not very prestigious nor worth the money, I don't think, outside of Stevens.

I could have confused them but I don't think it would be too much north of there.

Stockton stinks academically. They're what Rowan was in the early 2000s. Their only selling point is the ability to go to school 10 mins away from AC and the South Jersey Shore Points, which does nothing for students outside of maybe September in the fall semester.

Maybe when you're 21 it's fun to go to AC. I mean I certainly thought it was lol.

If we want to keep New Jersey high school graduates in the state, then there have to be places in the state for them to attend. There aren't nearly enough college seats in the state to accommodate high school graduates. So, yes, we need public institutions to become bigger. Right now, Montclair has more undergrads than Rowan. Maybe that will change as Rowan expands. As to who is or becomes the #2 public institution in the state, it is interesting to speculate about but not really that important.

I think Montclair (fairly or not) has a reputation as a commuter school. And while Montclair is certainly a nice place to live, it's more so thought so by people well out of college lol. I think Rowan can kind of develop a college town from scratch away from the big population centers. Montclair is a little constrained in that regard.

TCNJ tuition isn't much higher than ours- 17k and change.

Idk what the numbers look like on smaller publics in other states like say SUNY Geneseo.

I think the math on the smaller NJ private schools never worked. They're not very prestigious nor worth the money, I don't think, outside of Stevens.
Oh, I should have realized you were talking about TCNJ and other small publics as perhaps losing ground to Rutgers because students may increasingly be preferring larger schools. My bad.

My question is how much is tuition

It's such an essential job, but the costs just astronomical and don't get paid off.
I don't see this being a big win for them.
There’s only 32 Vet schools with limited enrollment(around 150 each per year) in the US. They’ll have full classes from day 1 to the foreseeable future. Many Vets couldn’t even get into schools in the US. Not because they didn’t have the grades but because there’s no availability.

Last edited:
The new President at Romwan
There’s only 32 Vet schools with limited enrollment(around 150 each per year) in the US. They’ll have full classes from day 1 to the foreseeable future. Many Vets couldn’t even get into schools in the US. Not because they didn’t have the grades but because there’s no availability.
Not sure of cost yet for Rowan Vet school but hoping they give some preference to NJ students first.

For the athletes maybe.

But as a DIII school the fan support just isn’t there.
Understood. But a school with 18 varsity sports and 623 varsity athletes, majorit of which live on campus, means a vibrant social scene on campus. Also means “brand recognition” for Rowan as younger high school students see their teammates that are seniors ”committing“ to Rowan. Think about all the high school athletes in NJ that don’t go on to play college sports and are subconsciously influenced by seeing their buddies, and top players from their high school teams, heading to Rowan. There’s a trickle down effect

The new President at Romwan

Not sure of cost yet for Rowan Vet school but hoping they give some preference to NJ students first.
Rowan is public, and so NJ residents will get a break on tuition as they do at other public universities in New Jersey, including in professional schools. (Law school tuition at Rutgers, for instance, is far less for residents than on-residents, and the same is true at the medical school.)

Rowan is public, and so NJ residents will get a break on tuition as they do at other public universities in New Jersey, including in professional schools. (Law school tuition at Rutgers, for instance, is far less for residents than on-residents, and the same is true at the medical school.)
That is what I was hoping....

Understood. But a school with 18 varsity sports and 623 varsity athletes, majorit of which live on campus, means a vibrant social scene on campus. Also means “brand recognition” for Rowan as younger high school students see their teammates that are seniors ”committing“ to Rowan. Think about all the high school athletes in NJ that don’t go on to play college sports and are subconsciously influenced by seeing their buddies, and top players from their high school teams, heading to Rowan. There’s a trickle down effect
Their soccer games are very busy with younger travel soccer fans much like Rutgers soccer.

The problem is they need a bigger stadium with more seating. It is a small venue.

Reactions: tico brown
That is what I was hoping....
Just for comparison's sake, in-state tuition at Rutgers' medical school is approximately $40K and out-of-state is $60K. But keep in mind that many professional school students from out of state are old enough that they can often qualify for in-state tuition in a year or two.

Perhaps, but what is the prudence? What is the average vet salary in NJ, and what will tuition be?

I am an animal lover and it's an essential job no doubt...but I just hope we're not going to saddle kids in bad situations.

Perhaps, but what is the prudence? What is the average vet salary in NJ, and what will tuition be?

I am an animal lover and it's an essential job no doubt...but I just hope we're not going to saddle kids in bad situations.
Who says they have to only work in NJ?

And as @retired711 said previously, NJ students will probably get a break on tuition like Law and Medicine do.

I'm guessing folks like @koleszar would love to have more local talent to choose from too.

Who says they have to only work in NJ?

And as @retired711 said previously, NJ students will probably get a break on tuition like Law and Medicine do.

I'm guessing folks like @koleszar would love to have more local talent to choose from too.

"Break" is generous, especially relative to the abysmal and atrocious salaries for law clerks and residents in NJ.

At least, in those cases, long term, the degrees tend to pay off. But the average salary for vets nationally as I posted before is just over 100k. Now you're going to have kids who may carry 4 years of debt plus whatever the vet school costs.

Over the last twenty years, average veterinarian debt has tripled. According to the AVMA the class of 2019 had an average of $183,302 in loans, while the mean veterinary salary, is only $99,250 (Bureau of Labor Statistics). And $183,302 is the average debt, some students have loans in excess of $400k.

"Break" is generous, especially relative to the abysmal and atrocious salaries for law clerks and residents in NJ.

At least, in those cases, long term, the degrees tend to pay off. But the average salary for vets nationally as I posted before is just over 100k. Now you're going to have kids who may carry 4 years of debt plus whatever the vet school costs.

Over the last twenty years, average veterinarian debt has tripled. According to the AVMA the class of 2019 had an average of $183,302 in loans, while the mean veterinary salary, is only $99,250 (Bureau of Labor Statistics). And $183,302 is the average debt, some students have loans in excess of $400k.

No one is being drafted to go to Rowan's or any other vet school. Any applicant is a senior in college or more, and presumably is mature enough to make his or her own informed decisions on the basis of publicly-available information, including the data you cite.

Reactions: rufancoe00

Women are taking over the profession their passion for animals far outweighs what they’ll make. Also there’s simply no farm vets in the state. We got lucky a women just opened up a practice here in Howell 2 yrs.ago. Before that we had to be careful with the animals we got. As getting someone out here was close to impossible.

Just for reference on what they can make, an emergency call is $200 just for her and helper showing up. And I’m not sh*tting you just yesterday a horse had Colic they were here for 30 mins.. (horses are fvcking babies) Medication and force feeding water cost another $125. Most of their calls are emergencies with some scheduled general maintenance.

Last edited:
Women are taking over the profession their passion for animals far outweighs what they’ll make. Also there’s simply no farm vets in the state. We got lucky a women just opened up a practice here in Howell 2 yrs.ago. Before that we had to be careful with the animals we got. As getting someone out here was close to impossible.

Just for reference on what they can make, an emergency call is $200 just for her and helper showing up. And I’m not sh*tting you just yesterday a horse had Colic they were here for 30 mins.. (horses are fvcking babies) Medication and force feeding water cost another $125. Most of their calls are emergencies with some scheduled general maintenance.

My mom always complained about the vet bill for our one tiny dog growing up, but I am just looking at the stats.

Most women today work. It would be hard in Howell to buy a home- maybe maybe a townhome- on 100k a year plus loans. If their spouse earned the same, then yes they could. But it would be a fancy lifestyle, IMO.

No one is being drafted to go to Rowan's or any other vet school. Any applicant is a senior in college or more, and presumably is mature enough to make his or her own informed decisions on the basis of publicly-available information, including the data you cite.

No doubt. But as I am sure you know, a lot of law schools ran into trouble post Great Recession with promises and representations about employment (and increasingly people start law school later than right after college).

It's an essential job and I want more vets. I also want more public defenders, and more rural doctors, but we haven't set up our education system for that. A bigger topic than what happens at Rowan though.

No doubt. But as I am sure you know, a lot of law schools ran into trouble post Great Recession with promises and representations about employment (and increasingly people start law school later than right after college).

It's an essential job and I want more vets. I also want more public defenders, and more rural doctors, but we haven't set up our education system for that. A bigger topic than what happens at Rowan though.
That was different. The market for recent law school grads abruptly collapsed. With vet school, people know what they're getting into. If anything, the demand for vets is getting better as people cosset their "fur babies."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT