ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Scottsdale, AZ

Scarlet4Shore

Senior
Feb 27, 2009
Sorry for the OT during the season. Clearly I won't be going to Fort Myers in a few weeks for vacation, so I was looking at Scottsdale, AZ. I have never been, and don't know anything about the area. Would appreciate any insight/recommendations. TIA

Not enough as a destination, but a great home base for short trips to other places.

Scottsdale is not our place. Sedona is our place, but we have stayed in Scottsdale quite a few times on our way to and from Sedona.

@Scarlet4Shore - what do you like to do? Are you looking just to relax and golf-then Scottsdale may be good for you. I may be overlooking aspects of greater Phoenix and Scottsdale, but we would strongly recommend Sedona if you like outdoors type of activities and natural beauty versus a city environment. Sedona and the surrounding areas (Cottonwood and Jerome) have a lot of great artists and shopping. Fantastic restaurants too.

If you do choose Scottsdale, do make a point to go to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. It is spectacular.

If you are interested in hearing more about Sedona, I can post more. It's about 95-100 miles north of Phoenix.

Weather for the following week will be in the low to mid 90's in Scottsdale, while mid 70's to 80 in Sedona. But the humidity is low, and the mid 90's are not terrible.

Reactions: Scarlet4Shore
Some relaxing, but I want to see the area. I've never been. I don't golf. I'll hike, bike ride, etc. I saw Sedona is doable in a day. I'm really open to anything.

I'll only have a week.

Some relaxing, but I want to see the area. I've never been. I don't golf. I'll hike, bike ride, etc. I saw Sedona is doable in a day. I'm really open to anything.

I'll only have a week.
Then stay in one of these places:

Scottsdale is not our place. Sedona is our place, but we have stayed in Scottsdale quite a few times on our way to and from Sedona.

@Scarlet4Shore - what do you like to do? Are you looking just to relax and golf-then Scottsdale may be good for you. I may be overlooking aspects of greater Phoenix and Scottsdale, but we would strongly recommend Sedona if you like outdoors type of activities and natural beauty versus a city environment. Sedona and the surrounding areas (Cottonwood and Jerome) have a lot of great artists and shopping. Fantastic restaurants too.

If you do choose Scottsdale, do make a point to go to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. It is spectacular.

If you are interested in hearing more about Sedona, I can post more. It's about 95-100 miles north of Phoenix.

Weather for the following week will be in the low to mid 90's in Scottsdale, while mid 70's to 80 in Sedona. But the humidity is low, and the mid 90's are not terrible.
Jerome , lol, nice town but holy crap the ride up is something else. I’ll keep it at that lol. Cottonwood is nice, but Sedona or village of oak creek are the places to go to if u like hiking and biking

Jerome , lol, nice town but holy crap the ride up is something else. I’ll keep it at that lol. Cottonwood is nice, but Sedona or village of oak creek are the places to go to if u like hiking and biking
When did you last visit? Cottonwood has exploded into a nice little city with a hopping restaurant and bar scene (at least compared to Sedona (aka Slowdona), but it all depends on what you like.

Agree on the hiking and biking in Sedona--it is superb. We will be out there from October 11-21, and it is some of the best weather of the year. Monsoon rain season is over, and temperatures will be perfect. Also, tourist season is much slower than in the Spring and summer months. Looks like a picture of Cathedral Rock in your avatar.

That ride up the mountain to Jerome is a good driving test. Did you go beyond the small city to the top? It gets a lot more precarious. But we love the ghost town vibe of Jerome, the collection of shops and the restaurant scene up there.

Another good visit while in Sedona is Flagstaff. Great small city with a fairly decent-sized college, NAU. Hiking is a bit different (more woodsy and dirt/mud) than Sedona's red rocks, but still fun. Flagstaff had a pretty bad wildfire season, and don't know what is open for hiking up there. We usually make our Home Depot and shopping runs to Flagstaff when we don't feel like going to Cottonwood.

I'll only have a week.
If it were me, I'd do Sedona. It's worth a lot more than a day.

Here's a place not far from our place, not sure if it's in your budget.

You will have walking access to some of the best Sedona trails.

Short walk to Bell Rock Pathway:

11155_17975_Bell_Rock_Hiking_Trail_Sedona_lg.jpg

Short hike to Chicken Point:
_dsc7159.jpg

Short hike/walk to Chapel of the Red Rocks:

chapel-01.jpg

Drive to one of our favorite low impact hikes, West Fork Trail--you may catch fall colors.

1020_WestFork.jpg

West%20Fork1.jpg

I could go on for pages. This is just a sampling. We have been vacationing in Sedona since 2005, and we still have a long list of hikes that we have yet to complete.

I can give restaurant recommendations too.

Do you have any interest in doing some driving from your Scottsdale base to see more of Arizona's beautiful natural scenery? I live further south than Phoenix, but Arizona has some really diverse natural beauty that's worth seeing, from the Grand Canyon, to the areas around Sedona, to the mountains around Tucson and other areas south, and lots more.... Lots of Native American, Old West, and Mexican culture too in certain areas...

Scottsdale certainly has its share of nice hotels and resorts, along with a good variety of nightlife and restaurants, so if you just want to relax by a nice pool at a nice hotel with an attractive desert landscape and lots of sunshine, there are plenty of places in Scottsdale to do it... I love the outdoors in Arizona, the open spaces and dramatic scenery, hiking, nature photography, etc, but I realize that's not for everyone. Regardless, I think Scottsdale could be a good choice as a substitute for Florida, and it could give you a good idea of Arizona overall if you don't mind taking a few day trips... There's a lot to see, whether you drive north or south from Scottsdale... (I also like San Diego as a mild weather vacation destination.)

And once you get to Sedona, find some time to make the 2-hour drive up to the Grand Canyon. A must-see if you’ve never been.
Agree.. Grand Canyon Village is about a 3.5 hour drive north from Scottsdale, and a little over 2 hours north from Sedona. Worth the trip if you haven't already seen it. Seeing the scenery around Sedona, and taking the drive to the top of Mt Lemmon in Tucson, are some of the other things I'd try to do if I had the time and only had one week.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Was in Sedona in the spring. It was awesome. Great hiking. And made the drive to Jerome too — unique experience. Haha

If it were me, I'd do Sedona. It's worth a lot more than a day.

Here's a place not far from our place, not sure if it's in your budget.

You will have walking access to some of the best Sedona trails.

Short walk to Bell Rock Pathway:

11155_17975_Bell_Rock_Hiking_Trail_Sedona_lg.jpg

Short hike to Chicken Point:
_dsc7159.jpg

Short hike/walk to Chapel of the Red Rocks:

chapel-01.jpg

Drive to one of our favorite low impact hikes, West Fork Trail--you may catch fall colors.

1020_WestFork.jpg

West%20Fork1.jpg

I could go on for pages. This is just a sampling. We have been vacationing in Sedona since 2005, and we still have a long list of hikes that we have yet to complete.

I can give restaurant recommendations too.

Sedona is an amazing place. I especially like the drive from Flagstaff south to Sedona.

In Phoenix, Scottsdale is a nice, relatively upscale place. I do like Tempe, though. A cool college town.
Lots more to do around Scottsdale. Plenty of hiking there as well, like Pinnacle Peak and other public trails. Dining options are top shelf and plenty. Old Scottsdale is worth a visit, as is the Frank
Lloyd Wright home. I’ve been to Sedona and Jerome a few times and they are largely tourist traps in the desert imo.

Lots more to do around Scottsdale. Plenty of hiking there as well, like Pinnacle Peak and other public trails. Dining options are top shelf and plenty. Old Scottsdale is worth a visit, as is the Frank
Lloyd Wright home. I’ve been to Sedona and Jerome a few times and they are largely tourist traps in the desert imo.
Sedona is high desert, and Jerome isn't really desert at all. One thing people do not realize about Sedona is that it is in what is called the Oak Tree Canyon, and yes, there are lots of oak and other deciduous trees. So, while not getting a full fall color display that we are used to in the Northeast, fall is beautiful in Sedona. We have a long-running joke in our family after someone remarked to me about 20 years ago that Sedona "ain't got no trees." Whenever we are hiking in the woods, I will say multiple times about their "ain't no trees here" until the point where my family has had enough of my routine.

Kind of like any other destination (think Jersey Shore), there are plenty of non-tourist trap things to do. Definitely avoid uptown Sedona, as it is a tourist trap. As someone else noted, Sedona is a good starting point for day trips to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon too.

Sedona is high desert, and Jerome isn't really desert at all. One thing people do not realize about Sedona is that it is in what is called the Oak Tree Canyon, and yes, there are lots of oak and other deciduous trees. So, while not getting a full fall color display that we are used to in the Northeast, fall is beautiful in Sedona. We have a long-running joke in our family after someone remarked to me about 20 years ago that Sedona "ain't got no trees." Whenever we are hiking in the woods, I will say multiple times about their "ain't no trees here" until the point where my family has had enough of my routine.

Kind of like any other destination (think Jersey Shore), there are plenty of non-tourist trap things to do. Definitely avoid uptown Sedona, as it is a tourist trap. As someone else noted, Sedona is a good starting point for day trips to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon too.

This. Did Sedona, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon on our trip. I agree parts of Sedona are touristy but we spent all day out hiking and exploring so other than finding dinner spots we didn’t deal with the tourist stuff.

Yes on Jerome.
When staying in Sedona we made several day trips up to Jerome over the years.
My Wife has purchased numerous artwork and jewelry up there.

This. Did Sedona, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon on our trip. I agree parts of Sedona are touristy but we spent all day out hiking and exploring so other than finding dinner spots we didn’t deal with the tourist stuff.
During the pandemic, Sedona became overrun with tourists and day trippers from the Phoenix area. The situation got out of hand on several fronts. Off road 4 wheel ATVs became really popular, and non-locals would cut and create new trails in the National Forest land, destroying native flora, which is critically needed to prevent erosion and sustain the ecosystem. Long term camping in non-camping areas also became an issue.

As far as hiking, the places to avoid are the really popular hikes such as Cathedral Rock and Bell Rock. There are ways to access those areas without having to park in the main parking areas. Cathedral Rock parking got so out of hand that the City of Sedona had to station a parking attendant at the end of the access road to limit non-residents from traveling down the road when the lot was full, which has been basically all day every day for the last 2.5 years It's a lot like going to the beach- go to Belmar, or go to a quieter beach such as Bay Head or Sea Girt or somewhere even more secluded. It's about knowing spots and times to go if you want to visit the more popular places.

On dinner spots, the more popular places can be difficult to get reservations. We found that by staying on an Eastern time eating schedule, we could get a table at any restaurant between 4 and 5 p.m. before the busy dinner hours.

Yes on Jerome.
When staying in Sedona we made several day trips up to Jerome over the years.
My Wife has purchased numerous artwork and jewelry up there.
Did you go to the Gold King Mine? It's been quite a few years for us, but that place is awesome, especially the donkey that greets visitors in the parking lot. It's really just a glorified junkyard, but a fun visit.

Did not get to do that one yet.
Did the Jerome Hotel Ghost Tour at night ( as seen on Ghost Adventures) was interesting.
After zig zagging up the Mountain the old school house on the left side is one heck of an Art Gallery ( the artist Margo is great). Did the Sliding Jail , Miners Museum, etc.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If anyone has restaurant recommendations, I'd appreciate that too. I tend to lean towards where the locals like to eat, not necessarily the popular tourist places.

Reactions: BillyC80
Both. Maybe throw some Phoenix in there too. That isn't too far, right?
Phoenix area: Matt's Big Breakfast. Several locations.
Scottsdale: We like Hula's Modern Tiki; For a simple lunch- the Sugar Bowl around the corner is a good old time diner style place; or just go there for the ice cream.

Sedona- too many to list. Dinner-The Hudson, Ken's Creekside, The Mesa Grill; Breakfast/Lunch- Red Rock Cafe and the Pump House;
Paige Springs (not far from Sedona, near Cornville)- Farm a Go Go; Up the Creek is a must
Cottonwood: Merkin Vinyards Osteria (the gnocchi is fabulous); Bocce
Jerome- The Asylum Restaurant

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If anyone has restaurant recommendations, I'd appreciate that too. I tend to lean towards where the locals like to eat, not necessarily the popular tourist places.
There was a hole in the wall Mexican place my Uncle took me to that was phenomenal.

Trying to remember the name.

Cowboy Club is good spot for a great burger.(in Sedona)

Last edited:
When did you last visit? Cottonwood has exploded into a nice little city with a hopping restaurant and bar scene (at least compared to Sedona (aka Slowdona), but it all depends on what you like.

Agree on the hiking and biking in Sedona--it is superb. We will be out there from October 11-21, and it is some of the best weather of the year. Monsoon rain season is over, and temperatures will be perfect. Also, tourist season is much slower than in the Spring and summer months. Looks like a picture of Cathedral Rock in your avatar.

That ride up the mountain to Jerome is a good driving test. Did you go beyond the small city to the top? It gets a lot more precarious. But we love the ghost town vibe of Jerome, the collection of shops and the restaurant scene up there.

Another good visit while in Sedona is Flagstaff. Great small city with a fairly decent-sized college, NAU. Hiking is a bit different (more woodsy and dirt/mud) than Sedona's red rocks, but still fun. Flagstaff had a pretty bad wildfire season, and don't know what is open for hiking up there. We usually make our Home Depot and shopping runs to Flagstaff when we don't feel like going to Cottonwood.
Go there at least 4 times a year. father In law lives on Jordan trail near the Sedona beer company. Only 14-16 hr drive from Denver. Yes I went up to the top but I sure the heck wasn't driving. Agreed love Jerome. I love flagstaff in the summer, winter not so much.

Jerome has great bed and breakfasts. I go there to relax and do some wine tasting. There is a national forest there as well. Hyatt gainey ranch has the best pools and nighttime experience but the phoenecian has a few amazing food options. If you want a wide ranging AZ experience spend a night in old Town scottsdale nightlife, hiking by Jerome, 2 days in sedona, and grand canyon.

I go to Scottsdale every March for Dodger spring training. Outside of baseball Scottsdale is pretty valueless, except for beers and UofA and ASU coeds who are looking for Mr. Hunk. ( Somehow they don't find my "posse" of 70 year olds very hunky.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT