ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shooting Near Rutgers

Relatively speaking… it’s either safe or not safe. There has been for years areas around the downtown which are questionable.
If you have to decide between the description of safe or not safe, it’s definitely safe. Unless you want to contend the whole country is not safe. And if that’s the case, there’s really no point in debating it at all lol. Unless you want to compare the whole country relative to other parts of the world.

So you can see, relative is indeed a thing.

If you have to decide between the description of safe or not safe, it’s definitely safe. Unless you want to contend the whole country is not safe. And if that’s the case, there’s really no point in debating it at all lol. Unless you want to compare the whole country relative to other parts of the world.

Around the campus Rutgers is not a safe space.Take a late night walk sometime.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse

Disagree

It’s like late night at the bar trying to decidie if a girl is not cute or not, chances are she’s not, yet you’re trying to talk yourself into her being cute

Not according to some who defend that it isn’t bad…. it’s only an imaginary thing. The shooting on Hamilton and Easton is nothing new .

I graduated in 1994. This is not my perception. I get this second hand from RU college interns that I’ve hired in 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023. They’ve said that there are a lot of home break-ins, late night “mugging” and car break-ins in the off campus areas around College Ave. They’ve said “basically if you’re waking around late at night, you’re asking for trouble”.

After I saw some of the unsavory types hanging around back in 2015-2016 … old guys don’t wander around on Hamilton and George Streets unless they’re packing. After 10 pm is my cutoff for bar hopping.😁🤫

Reactions: Plum Street
I graduated in 1994. This is not my perception. I get this second hand from RU college interns that I’ve hired in 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023. They’ve said that there are a lot of home break-ins, late night “mugging” and car break-ins in the off campus areas around College Ave. They’ve said “basically if you’re waking around late at night, you’re asking for trouble”

This is way too close to campus. RUPD and NBPD need many more foot, car, and bike patrols surrounding campus.

I wonder if they were out on red cup patrol while this happened. Must suck for them with White Claws etc and weed legalization taking away a lot of their biggest sticks. Hopefully it encourages them to do their real job.

I graduated in 1994. This is not my perception. I get this second hand from RU college interns that I’ve hired in 2018, 2019, 2022 and 2023. They’ve said that there are a lot of home break-ins, late night “mugging” and car break-ins in the off campus areas around College Ave. They’ve said “basically if you’re waking around late at night, you’re asking for trouble”.

A few things with this. First off, where are we talking? It was always kind of known that the further down Hamilton (certainly past Louis, but not where this incident occurred) or downtown between say Rockoff and Douglass, was not the best at night. Though I believe the latter has changed.

What was always safe was walking from say, Knight Club to Easton Ave apartments. Or Stuff Yer Face to the river dorms. Car break ins always an issue but never anything violent.

Now that said, everyone has heard of one off incidents. Unfortunately, I do think a number of those involved inside jobs (including some incidents w Flood players if you sadly recall). The NBPD certainly could, if it so chose, focus on the borders between the good and not so good areas and fix it so even these one offs would be a lot less common. That's what I am curious about now- what is the status?

Given applications, admissions and rankings today, my guess is the situation is better than it was and this is another unfortunate one off.

Reactions: redking
it's safe, zero question about it.
Zero question? Even despite a shooting?

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Rutgers95...reading this?? Sounds like more than zero question.

I wouldn’t consider the off campus area, unsafe. However, the shooting was across the street from Thomas Sweet. A few days earlier a student is held up at gunpoint at the train station, late at night. Back in the 80’s-90’s the area from Hamilton to Somerset street, out to Louis, was mostly students. That is no longer the case. As you get out to Guilden and Delafield it is mostly students but more common to have houses of “townies”, as the students say. Students will have parties out there and “townies” will show up. Often they are turned away, but then show a gun. Kids will let them in but the party typically clears out at that point. This is gun style violence that didn’t used to be there. Granted these instances are all late at night but they are there

to follow up with the above…..I am friendly with several NBPD officers. They often feel their hands are tied by all the “laws”, ironically. The police have been neutered these days by our government. The bad guys have more right than the students. Everyone at RU is more worried that a frat has a keg, then the more pressing issues out there.

to follow up with the above…..I am friendly with several NBPD officers. They often feel their hands are tied by all the “laws”, ironically. The police have been neutered these days by our government. The bad guys have more right than the students. Everyone at RU is more worried that a frat has a keg, then the more pressing issues out there.
Have you asked them why they and RUPD don't patrol more and in greater numbers, and why they seem more worried about busting a college party than stopping actual violent crimes? None of the laws stop them from actually doing those things.

Last edited:
It all comes down to the budget. They used to have a walking patrol from George St, to train, up Easton to Verve. They haven’t had it since Covid. Officers in cars with windows up doesn’t deter much. Boots on the ground are much more visible

It all comes down to the budget. They used to have a walking patrol from George St, to train, up Easton to Verve. They haven’t had it since Covid. Officers in cars with windows up doesn’t deter much. Boots on the ground are much more visible
Do they really not have the budget to have walking patrols anymore? RUPD too? They used to have walking, bikes and cars. All need to return much more to deter these crimes.

Sounds like they are more worried about getting home safely. Their hands are tied?

Sounds like they are more worried about getting home safely. Their hands are tied?
you guys are funny
what is easier, safer and more in line with function; going after gangbangers and thugs on the periphery or busting college kids for drinking? which provides less headaches

reality meets idealism

Last edited:
More info. Weird, non student guy comes out of Golden Rail. He gets into argument with 2 guys in a car wearing ski masks. They pull away while spraying gun fire. Nirvanis window shot up. Random kid on street catches a stray. Girl in her window above Golden Rail takes a bullet to the abdomen. She will need spinal surgery. Thankfully, the feeling and movement returned to her feet. Probably a stolen car. Cops not allowed to chase the car.

Well it’s just one isolated incident in a noisey , college town on the banks of the ole Raritan.

Have you asked them why they and RUPD don't patrol more and in greater numbers, and why they seem more worried about busting a college party than stopping actual violent crimes? None of the laws stop them from actually doing those things.
Because everyone crapped on them from the BLM stuff in 2020 and defund police. They basically feel why bother, someone is just going to look to sue them or accuse them or racism or some other asinine thing. This has been told to me directly from cops in several towns, NB included. Steve is right. I had to catch a hobo on camera shitting on the side of my office. I then tracked him down, found him and the cop was shrugging his shoulders about it until I showed him the video. The wrote him a ticket that he won't pay and that's it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT