ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shooting Near Rutgers

I am not criticizing the police. That NBPD person I spoke with was upset with "the system" that allows this. They said they did their job, investigated and arrested the folks responsible. It's then out of their hands. the quote was, "Our system is upside down" the assumption was that it would get plea bargained down. I don't know all of the details on why two guys released, or what their charges are.

An innocent college student was paralyzed that night and has undergone multiple spinal surgeries. Thankfully, she is expected to recover without permeant paralysis.

The guy is know to be in a gang, randomly fires multiple times at several folks on the street, following an altercation. Perhaps not premeditated, but what should the punishment be? The NBPD person I spoke with figures back on street in 5-7 years after a deal. I guess we should expect the then 27 year old to be rehabilitated and will become a model citizen and respected, productive member of society.
System is so screwed up. If you are involved in a crime with a gun you should get 20 years minimum. I’m sure this isn’t the frost arrest for any of the 4. Maybe we should get back to locking criminals up.

Am I hearing this right.

A man who discharged a firearm in NB and struck a student is free to walk the streets right now?

-vic
We don't know that for sure. Only one of the four is charged with actually shooting. We know that four were arrested, and two were released; we don't know whether the shooter is one of those released. (The others were charged with offenses like "armed riot.") https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...-with-easton-avenue-shooting-in-new-brunswick

I wouldn’t consider the off campus area, unsafe. However, the shooting was across the street from Thomas Sweet. A few days earlier a student is held up at gunpoint at the train station, late at night. Back in the 80’s-90’s the area from Hamilton to Somerset street, out to Louis, was mostly students. That is no longer the case. As you get out to Guilden and Delafield it is mostly students but more common to have houses of “townies”, as the students say. Students will have parties out there and “townies” will show up. Often they are turned away, but then show a gun. Kids will let them in but the party typically clears out at that point. This is gun style violence that didn’t used to be there. Granted these instances are all late at night but they are there
Wait wait wait… so someone shows up to a house party, gets told that they can’t come in, shows a gun and they are let in??? How the f is that anything remotely close to normal. No sh*t the party clears out.
Im not a lawyer but gaining admittance to a residence by brandishing a weapon would probably fall under some category of criminality, would it not??!

Reactions: Leonard23
Wait wait wait… so someone shows up to a house party, gets told that they can’t come in, shows a gun and they are let in??? How the f is that anything remotely close to normal. No sh*t the party clears out.
Im not a lawyer but gaining admittance to a residence by brandishing a weapon would probably fall under some category of criminality, would it not??!
I'm just the messenger. The kids are afraid to report anything. When you get a little deep out on Guilden or Delafield, sometimes there are houses of "townies". The students feel if they get the cops involved, they will then be targeted. If they happen to be in the same group/fraternity, Rutgers will then suspend the group for having an unregistered event.

Back in 2017, a student was shot on a porch at 120 Hamilton Street. ( between College and Easton ) Guy wan't being let into a party. He pulled a gun and shot. The shooter got bumped and a friend of mine took a bullet to the shoulder. He was/is fine and has a cool story to tell. Doesn't change the fact that it happened though. I don't believe an arrest was made. Shooter fled on foot.

My sister was being harassed by punks in her California neighborhood. they threatened her and her dog. Luckily, she has friends in the Hells Angels. They paid a visit to the neighborhood and now those same punks smile and wave to her. Cops can't be everywhere. Cops don't prevent crime, they react to it. Not saying that is their fault.

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
UPDATE- 2 of the 4 arrested have already been released and are back on the street. Even with overwhelming evidence of security cameras, cell phone locations, witnesses, the NBPD official stated, "no one wants to go to trial, it will be pleaded down. shooter probably back on street in 5 years", " our system is upside down".
Have not finished reading the rest of the thread yet but guarantee the Jersey City Attorney, who is more dense than cinderblock will be defending this

There is no agreement at all. Your viewpoint fails to acknowledge that police officers need to utilize common sense in tactical issues. When they are correct, no criticism is due. Time to brush up on modern day police procedures if you want a chance to make a credible argument.

The argument was they were banned. That was clearly false. I appreciate your concession that you could provide no evidence to the contrary.

LOL at the police haters. Here's what happens when they try to do their jobs near another "local" university.

Should have use the Taser!!

Well, if Bubble Bath Girl says so.

I mean, not like a quick glance at his profile would say, compare the FBI with a certain 1930s storm troopers or insist the Capitol Police were in on a plot against the beloved "hostages." But those are the law enforcement that are subject to criticism.

Have not finished reading the rest of the thread yet but guarantee the Jersey City Attorney, who is more dense than cinderblock will be defending this

It would have taken you reading the link to what actually happened to understand- but hey- maybe pass on to Gov Christie your thoughts if you don't like the bail reform he signed.

Otherwise sorry the NB shooting wasn't reported on Breitbart or Hannity so you could have been understood.

The argument was they were banned. That was clearly false. I appreciate your concession that you could provide no evidence to the contrary.
I think @jerseybird has the better of the argument as a whole. You were criticizing the NB police for not doing enough to catch the perps. Apparently they have. So at this point it's academic whether they should have chased.As for whether they are technically banned from chasing, you're right that they are not. OTOH, it was quite reasonable for them to decide not to chase under the circumstances so it really doesn't matter whether they were legally barred or not.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I think @jerseybird has the better of the argument as a whole. You were criticizing the NB police for not doing enough to catch the perps. Apparently they have. So at this point it's academic whether they should have chased.As for whether they are technically banned from chasing, you're right that they are not. OTOH, it was quite reasonable for them to decide not to chase under the circumstances so it really doesn't matter whether they were legally barred or not.

My main point throughout has been that people saying the laws of the state/city/AG are making life too hard or unfair on the police, at least in the case of the NBPD, is false. I'm glad they caught them. But the other issue is that if they were focused better on that area, which has been a hot spot since I lived around the corner during GS 1.0, the entire incident could have been prevented.

The only evidence you need is the professional actions of the police got the job done. Cop haters are cop haters whether the police do their job correctly or not.

I agree. For example, some people hate the police so much they call those who viciously assault them and end up in prison "hostages." Terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT