ADVERTISEMENT

OT Someone mentioned Rowan may be going Division 1 in some sports

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Somewhere in the last few weeks somebody mentioned in one of the threads. I didn't get a chance to ask when this was happening and where they read it. I would assume football is going 1 AA not all the way to 1 A. What conference do you see them heading to?

Googling didn't find much about this aside from speculation back when they got the "research university" designation at the time of the UMDNJ transfer. And since that brings up another political hot mess, perhaps it's best not to ponder it.

Don't really see it happening for a good long time. Rowan is very ambitious, but a lot of other things have to come first before even looking into that kind of a step.

(And yes, Northeast would make a lot of sense.)

I know the Northeast isn't a big time conference but why would they want to take Rowen? How would that help them at any level? From a basketball perspective the NEC would go after NJIT before Rowen, that is if they are even thinking of expanding.

Reactions: NJIT_1990
I haven't heard anything about this, but I just don't see how it would be possible. They are division 3 right now and that's a huge jump to make. The school is basically run by George Norcross who is always out to grab as much tax payer money as possible. He absolutely hates Rutgers since he failed out of Rutgers Camden and my guess is he's jealous of the money that Rutgers sports generate. However, the NCAA says you have to go division 1 in every sport, not just one, so that's a hefty financial commitment. I don't see it happening.

I haven't heard anything about this, but I just don't see how it would be possible. They are division 3 right now and that's a huge jump to make. The school is basically run by George Norcross who is always out to grab as much tax payer money as possible. He absolutely hates Rutgers since he failed out of Rutgers Camden and my guess is he's jealous of the money that Rutgers sports generate. However, the NCAA says you have to go division 1 in every sport, not just one, so that's a hefty financial commitment. I don't see it happening.

There are various exceptions - Hartwick plays D1 men's soccer and women's water polo ... John's Hopkins plays D1 Lacrosse ...in 2014 Union College - a D3 school in all other sports - won the D1 Hockey Championship ... St. Lawrence plays D1 hockey - now many if not all of these are 'grandfathered' exceptions - and it would be difficult to gain permission to elevate just one sport - unless it was a much more minor sport where there may not be a D3 championship

Johns Hopkins plays Division 1 lacrosse but is D-3 in everything else. I’m not sure how that works, though

They would have to go in all sports, or in 1 or 2 sports where an exception is made (Like JHU in lacrosse) .. but Rowan has no sports history in any sport the way JHU has in lax, so I just don’t see it happening. They have no money

They have to go D1 in MBB, WBB, plus all other sports they offer. The don't have to offer FB. They can't go D1 in some sports; it is all or nothing.

Upstream,I think if they did this it would be Division 1AA in football and Division 1 in the other sports.I just mentioned in the general sports board that some Division 1 schools have surprisingly small facilities like Central Connecticut. The university is growing by the minute. I believe I read a couple years back the goal is s to have 20000 students by 2025.

I've never felt like the ambition and desire to grow at Rowan went beyond academics. I know nothing about this, but I've never seen any signs that they want to go D1 in anything.

As a wrestling guy (hey Matt!), I'd love to see them build a program there at any level...

Reactions: bigmatt718
Rowan is very ambitious, but a lot of other things have to come first before even looking into that kind of a step.
VERY ambitious.
Pretty sure "1AA" (now known as FCS) is just a football thing
Yes.
I've never felt like the ambition and desire to grow at Rowan went beyond academics. I know nothing about this, but I've never seen any signs that they want to go D1 in anything.
Right now down there because of this...
The school is basically run by George Norcross who is always out to grab as much tax payer money as possible. He absolutely hates Rutgers since he failed out of Rutgers Camden and my guess is he's jealous of the money that Rutgers sports generate.
...nothing is off the table.

If they do it or try to do it that’s how it will happen: “Today is a great day for the State of New Jersey as we...(fill in the blanks)...” will be the opening line of that press conference.

My nephews neighbors kid goes there and he seems to love it.He said about fifteen kids from his high school go there. I have not been on the campus since 1978 so I assume I would not even recognize it. This is just my opinion but I think at one time Montclair was the smaller public college New Jersey kids lookedvat first but I think now it is TCNJ and then Rowan.

My nephews neighbors kid goes there and he seems to love it.He said about fifteen kids from his high school go there. I have not been on the campus since 1978 so I assume I would not even recognize it. This is just my opinion but I think at one time Montclair was the smaller public college New Jersey kids lookedvat first but I think now it is TCNJ and then Rowan.
Well then you were never on the Rowan campus then, you were on Glassboro State. 1978 was also the last time that I was there.

If they are planning a jump they need to change their colors and nickname...rebrand the whole thing.

At least get rid of the brown.

Yes, Rowan would be a laughing stock at FCS level if it tried to continue with "Profs" as the nickname. BTW, Rutgers-Camden has about equivalent GPA/Sat numbers as Rowan; TCNJ is a big step up from Rowanfrom an admissions point of view. Rutgers-Camden is now at 7000 students total and trying to attract more. The nursing program just got a big building and there is a health sciences building and a new business school building planned. I think the big shortcoming of Rutgers-Camden is that it does not have a baccalaureate engineering program and I'm almost sure that Rowan does.

Last edited:
They have to go D1 in MBB, WBB, plus all other sports they offer. The don't have to offer FB. They can't go D1 in some sports; it is all or nothing.
Then why is Johns Hopkins division I in just lacrosse?

Some schools were grandfathered for lax, ice hockey etc for historical reasons

Rowan is 2x larger than RU-Camden.

You're correct and I've edited my post accordingly. Thanks! BTW, the 7000 for R-C counts law and professional students -- the 14,000 for Rowan counts just undergrads. This shows how un-aggressive Rutgers has been until recently in promoting and expanding R-C.

They could be contenders for the National Championship in Rowing... cause you know they’re always Rowen.

If they are planning a jump they need to change their colors and nickname...rebrand the whole thing.

At least get rid of the brown.
The brown and gold colors would be the subject of ridicule for sure lol. They'd nickname the Rowan football stadium the Septic Tank.

Yes, Rowan would be a laughing stock at FCS level if it tried to continue with "Profs" as the nickname. BTW, Rutgers-Camden has about equivalent GPA/Sat numbers as Rowan; TCNJ is a big step up from Rowanfrom an admissions point of view. Rutgers-Camden is now at 7000 students total and trying to attract more. The nursing program just got a big building and there is a health sciences building and a new business school building planned. I think the big shortcoming of Rutgers-Camden is that it does not have a baccalaureate engineering program and I'm almost sure that Rowan does.

Re-brand to NJU

Yes, Rowan would be a laughing stock at FCS level if it tried to continue with "Profs" as the nickname.
The brown and gold colors would be the subject of ridicule for sure lol. They'd nickname the Rowan football stadium the Septic Tank.
Change “Profs” to Rams and switch out the brown to maroon (or Washington Redskin red which is like a maroon) and we’re done.

Rowan Rams.

There are various exceptions - Hartwick plays D1 men's soccer and women's water polo ... John's Hopkins plays D1 Lacrosse ...in 2014 Union College - a D3 school in all other sports - won the D1 Hockey Championship ... St. Lawrence plays D1 hockey - now many if not all of these are 'grandfathered' exceptions - and it would be difficult to gain permission to elevate just one sport - unless it was a much more minor sport where there may not be a D3 championship

All these schools were grandfathered in, but it's all or nothing now. It's an NCAA rule, look it up. Plus you need to offer 6 sports for men and at least that for women while meeting all Title 9 requirements. You also need to demonstrate you can meet the financial commitment. I can see Norcross asking the NJ tax payers to pony up as he usually does. Hope we're smart enough not to give it too him.

As a wrestling fan I'd love to see Rowan go D1 in wrestling. A ton of wrestling talent here in South Jersey.
HUH? That's the 1st sport they dropped when they went from Glassboro St. to the namesake of Rowan.

My Nephew just graduated from Rowan with an engineering degree. It's the reason he went there. Must be a decent program, he got a job right out of college last year at a Navy contractor.

congrats to him. I think the presence of an engineering program there, and the lack of one at R-C, will hurt the latter a lot. In addition, my impression is that Rowan has the space around it to expand if necessary. R-C is restricted by being in an urban area, and I'm not sure establishing a corridor to Cooper Hospital will work very well in the long run.

Given how much money they got from the Rowan family, I think it's very unlikely that school will ever change name. Beside, having a "direction" name is rarely a good deal.
Agreed. But they definitely will need to rebrand/rename the Rowan AD if and when that time comes to move up. The Profs is such a horrible name and a stigma of Rowan being known as a glorified teacher college in past times, and brown and gold is probably the most hideous choice possible for team colors.

Reactions: retired711
no

It is not possible to just go D1 in some sports. It is all or nothing. The Schools like JHU were grandfathered in, no one else will ever be allowed to have both again.

congrats to him. I think the presence of an engineering program there, and the lack of one at R-C, will hurt the latter a lot. In addition, my impression is that Rowan has the space around it to expand if necessary. R-C is restricted by being in an urban area, and I'm not sure establishing a corridor to Cooper Hospital will work very well in the long run.
Yes my nephew did say that Rowan has bought large tracks of land surrounding the current campus in anticipation of expansion. Been there once, it's still pretty rural down there with lots of room for growth. Kid has a good head on his shoulders. He did internships his last two years. One of his internships was with the company that hired him. Now my niece on the other hand, fashion design isn't exactly the gateway to gainful employment.

Reactions: Knight Shift
My Daughter was recruited to play Softball there a few years ago. I asked the Coach about rumors of Rowan going D2. Her response was D1 is what would be happening. She mentioned the land out by the Highway and said all the sports complex's would need upgrades but that's what they wanted to do!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT