ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Somerville homicide

I believe quite a few Somerville residents here.

A young lady was shanked to death on N. Bridge St.
Horrible

Hopefully the murderer is captured asap.

Awful story.

I hope it’s not who I think it is.

• Wow
Reactions: DirtyRU
I believe quite a few Somerville residents here.

A young lady was shanked to death on N. Bridge St.
Horrible

Hopefully the murderer is captured asap.

Man, that's terrible. Grew up in Hunterdon County and spent a lot of time going to places on Main Street as a kid, and then bars later as an adult. Haven't been back in a decade. What a sad story, in what has been seemingly a reborn area.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Awful story.

I hope it’s not who I think it is.

Oh man, it’s bad enough already but if it was her own brother. 😢

Somerville was super sketchy back in the day
Last 10 years it’s really been on the up and up

Terrible story. This stuff can happen everywhere. I love Somerville. Great downtown area which keeps getting better. My kids are graduates from The Ville High. We live in Branchburg. Matter of fact heading to the Readington Farm and Brewery for a pint and then over to Tapastry in Somerville for dinner tonight.

Terrible story. This stuff can happen everywhere. I love Somerville. Great downtown area which keeps getting better. My kids are graduates from The Ville High. We live in Branchburg. Matter of fact heading to the Readington Farm and Brewery for a pint and then over to Tapastry in Somerville for dinner tonight.

Chances are whoever killed her knew her.
But until police make arrest people will feel uneasy walking around town.

Just an awful story.

When I was younger, the bike races in Somerville were always a fun drunken time. Also way, way back in the day, used to go to Somerville vs Bound Brook Thanksgiving game as well. It was always a packed house. Really, from my recollection never thought it was sketchy, but then again never was in the whole town.

Last edited:
Reactions: seneca ave
The town is completely fine. Its never been sketchy. Some sketchy rentals but there would be no reason to be on those streers unless you were looking for drugs

Know the mayor very well. He did an amazing job for about a decade getting Somerville back on the right track. Then he became a county freeholder for a while, but just was elected to become mayor again. The town is in great hands! He is a true leader and in it for the right reasons.

Was at McCormicks not long ago, hit cple of the other bars also, has been safe for a while. Remember being 21 at Lips Lounge.

One of my college jobs was bartending at Orlando's restaurant in Somerville. A great Italian restaurant and the owner, Tont Orlando,, was a legend. Have a terrific story that happened while working there, but won't bore you with it now. Anyone know what happened to that place?

One of my college jobs was bartending at Orlando's restaurant in Somerville. A great Italian restaurant and the owner, Tont Orlando,, was a legend. Have a terrific story that happened while working there, but won't bore you with it now. Anyone know what happened to that place?

Had a great time at Mannions a few years ago - had an old school pub feel

The town is completely fine. Its never been sketchy. Some sketchy rentals but there would be no reason to be on those streers unless you were looking for drugs

So it wasn't sketchy but there were streets you couldn't be on unless you were looking for drugs?

It was definitely sketchy.

Reactions: RU at the shore
It was sketch in the 90s Bac
My GF lived in Somerville for a time in the early 90s, think 1991 so I spend some time there. It was above a furniture store (landlord) which later became a Chinese buffet (long after she moved out) across from Woolworth. Used to have to park in the back and walk up the steps. There was a PathMark like a 30 second walk away. Maybe a little sketchy but I don't mind a little sketch. It was a lot better than NB where she moved from.

Reactions: MulletCork
The sketchy area is Southside St. area. That's across the street from the New Cemetary. Always has been for drugs. The other area was on Veterans Memorial Dr. by the little cottage house by the train station. Me and Bac used to plow the lot and the sidewalks. It was a lawyers office. Homeless people used to camp out in the corner. One time about 3 am someone stole one of my snowshovels and about 5 yrs ago someone stole $100 and my phone from my truck when we were cutting the lawn.

My GF lived in Somerville for a time in the early 90s, think 1991 so I spend some time there. It was above a furniture store (landlord) which later became a Chinese buffet (long after she moved out) across from Woolworth. Used to have to park in the back and walk up the steps. There was a PathMark like a 30 second walk away. Maybe a little sketchy but I don't mind a little sketch. It was a lot better than NB where she moved from.
Raritan is probably sketchier than Somerville

My whole family was from Raritan. Parents grew up there in the 40-50's. Both grandparents and aunt uncles cousins all grew up there. It was Slovak/ Italians. There was an unspoken rule that non whites were not welcome to live there this was into the late 80's.

Reactions: RUaMoose
My whole family was from Raritan. Parents grew up there in the 40-50's. Both grandparents and aunt uncles cousins all grew up there. It was Slovak/ Italians. There was an unspoken rule that non whites were not welcome to live there this was into the late 80's.
There definitely was a "connected" aspect to Raritan

I used to stop in the liquor store on Somerset St next to the Quick Chek before we partied at one of my ex’s friend apartment

Raritan is (or used to be) all Italians

Maybe b/c I'm Italian, but I always felt safe there
Uncle Vinny's Clam Bar was the spot

Now cross 206, and it was a different story
Uncle Vinny's Clam Bar is still the shiznit. Back in the day, politics was flowing there as a few heavy hitters used it as their Ravenite Club. LOL!

Reactions: JCin128 and toby83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT