ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Somerville homicide

Based on recent FBI stats, Manville and BB are safer than NP.

Hillsborough is getting crushed on the 206 corridor. Way too much development. They did buy up some land and block a few warehouses, so they are trying, but still, the future doesn't look good. COAH is destroying that town. One positive note, the western half of Hills is still hanging in there. It's relatively bumble-f compared to the eastern part and you can avoid 206 during rush hour.

Going downhill
Crime or just traffic/potential for warehouses?

Somerville is one of our favorite places to take short afternoon or evening trips to. A bunch of great restaurants, nice shops and good bars. Very walkable. Been going there since the mid-80s when we started going to the bike race for a bunch of years, as friends lived right on the route. Never really thought it was that sketchy.

I knew something was wrong about the way things were headed when kids in 7th grade used to look forward to the nurse calling them in for their "meds". Smh

I knew something was wrong about the way things were headed when kids in 7th grade used to look forward to the nurse calling them in for their "meds". Smh

So that helped you predict a personal murder years ...decades.. later?

Reactions: thegock
Had a great time at Mannions a few years ago - had an old school pub feel
I worked my way through college there as a waiter. It was called The Newsroom back then and it was a phenomenal neighborhood bar/restaurant. Made decent bucks but it was a big time gathering spot for locals who liked to get plowed 4-5 times/wk.

Somerville back then was nothing like it is today. But it definitely wasn’t sketchy either. Female waitresses would walk home at 2am with no worries and never any issues.

Last edited:
I have to get back over to Somerville for dinner. It has been awhile.

I worked my way through college there as a waiter. It was called The Newsroom back there and it was a phenomenal neighborhood bar/restaurant. Made decent bucks but it was a big time gathering spot for locals who liked to get plowed 4-5 times/wk.

Somerville back then was nothing like it is today. But it definitely wasn’t sketchy either. Female waitresses would walk home at 2am with no worries and never any issues.
Remember the Newsroom well! When we left our newspaper jobs at Forbes for greener pastures we always wished each other well there.

I wonder what his motive was. They found a manifesto of how he was going to kill her. So horrible, only 27 and was doing good work for the community. If I was to speculate, maybe he asked her to go on a date and she said no.

What Franklin did, and I guess other towns too, was sell their sole to the Amazon devil. Huge Amazon warehouses have sprung up in Franklin as well as some low income living apartments. Way back in the day it was farm land.

What Franklin did, and I guess other towns too, was sell their sole to the Amazon devil. Huge Amazon warehouses have sprung up in Franklin as well as some low income living apartments. Way back in the day it was farms land.
Franklin is tough to pinpoint. It’s 46 square miles but with urban, over-developed areas and rural areas. There is still rural land but it has shrunk. One of the greatest active recreation areas the state has to offer is the the towpath and a bunch of that rolls through Franklin. But there’s also the urban strip malls in Somerset.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Somerville still a great spot for beers in Spring/Summer. Start at Central Pizza, get a table outside and people watch (Fridays you have the cars).eventually walk up to Village Brewing, then onto either Tapestry (or the bar upstairs), then onto McCormicks (Hotel Somerset) late night for a more "interesting" crowd.
And if funky mixed drinks are your thing gotta hit upstairs bar at Verve, cool little place.

Some bizarre takes in this thread. I’ve lived in both Somerville and Raritan and neither are remotely sketchy. Never have been, going back to the 1990s. Sure, they are doing better now than in the past, but they never checked the sketchy box.

Did y’all even live in New Brunswick? I got chased down Guilden St by two guys in ski masks and lead pipes back in 2012, now that’s ****ing sketchy.

Franklin is tough to pinpoint. It’s 46 square miles but with urban, over-developed areas and rural areas. There is still rural land but it has shrunk. One of the greatest active recreation areas the state has to offer is the the towpath and a bunch of that rolls through Franklin. But there’s also the urban strip malls in Somerset.
Franklin was destroyed by COAH housing, cheap cluster developments, and greedy pols. Sadly, you can say the same for a lot of CNJ towns.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Grandmother used to live on N Bridge Street. Dad had his medical office in Sommerville -- ha, ha -- across the street from a cemetery. I haven't been back in Jersey in 30+ years, so this was some time ago. Sommerville was a nice place, back in the 70's. Guess it's not so nice anymore. Sad about the girl though; she had a lot of living left.

Last edited:
Grandmother used to live on N Bridge Street. Dad had his medical office in Sommerville -- ha, ha -- across the street from a cemetery. I haven't been back in Jersey in 30+ years, so this was some time ago. Sommerville was a nice place, back in the 70's. Guess it's not so nice anymore. Sad about the girl though; she had a lot of living left.
It’s actually very nice. As stated before this was a deranged individual who knew and targeted the victim. It wasn’t a random act in a crime-ridden area.

Jim Fealey, the father of the deceased, is a very popular teacher and the bowling coach at Cranford High School. Coached my son for 2 years. Terrible story.

• Sad
Reactions: irishflu92
i remember as a kid being creeped out that a kid about my age fell through the ice and drown cple blocks from those townhouses, near the YMCA corner, in Peters Brook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT