ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Spain and Morocco

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Looking to do a spring trip to visit our kid doing a semester in Sevilla, Spain in the Spring. Our son knows someone in Morocco, and we were thinking of taking the ferry from Tarifa across the Strait of Gibralatar to Tangier.

Any Rutgers bars in Sevilla or Morocco? 🤣

Probably will not venture far and wide in Morocco, and doubt we will make to Marakesh.
As far Spain, Madrid, is a good distance from Sevilla. We were thinking we would not venture far from the southern part Spain and perhaps check out Malaga.

Any suggestions on things to see/do/restaurants?

Probably will not venture far and wide in Morocco, and doubt we will make to Marakesh.

Well if you do, ya gotta check this out:

As far Spain, Madrid, is a good distance from Sevilla. We were thinking we would not venture far from the southern part Spain and perhaps check out Malaga.

Can't help ya with that!

Many years ago (early 2000s), I went to Sevilla and took a day trip to Morocco. We were given a lot of instructions pertaining to personal safety. Maybe things have changed, but one day was enough for me.

The Alhambra was something worth seeing.

Check with US Dept of State website before you venture into Morocco. Besides the earthquake they had, personal safety has become more challenging with all of the stuff going on in the world these days.

Traveling in the world today especially being from the USA is a crap shoot . Love Spain and Portugal and Mediterranean area . Great food , Nightlife, and things to see. This is wonderful sure but keep all things in clear view if going.

Looking to do a spring trip to visit our kid doing a semester in Sevilla, Spain in the Spring. Our son knows someone in Morocco, and we were thinking of taking the ferry from Tarifa across the Strait of Gibralatar to Tangier.

Are you going to Madrid/Barcelona or flying to Sevilla (presumably with a layover somewhere). I think there may be flights to Malaga, but not sure if in the spring.

I love this board. Man asks for travel advice and gets serenaded. 😎
It’s really good sound advice. It is a different world … travelers have to exercise much more caution going overseas than only 5 years ago. Similar to after 911 to some extent.

RUPete: travel is not the same… many European travel destinations have issued warnings to travelers the same as in the USA. It seems Christopher Wray thinks people need to have a better understanding of the world and dangers we face.

RUPete: travel is not the same… many European travel destinations have issued warnings to travelers the same as in the USA. It seems Christopher Wray thinks people need to have a better understanding of the world and dangers we face.
Bob I was kidding around and it had nothing to do with the dangers of travel. It was that KS asked for travel advice and got three videos sent his way. That's all.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Did a similar trip a few years ago. Madrid was meh, a few days is OK. We loved Seville, would return there. Great food and wine and interesting sights. Also, don't miss Granada and the Alhambra. Did the ferry from Tarifa to Tangiers, we used a day guide there and he showed us around the sights. Worth it.
Tarifa was worth an overnight stay. Also. just to the east is Nerja, worth a night too. Malaga seemed like a big city. Gibraltar was meh too.

We drove the whole trip. Spain's roads and signage are very good.

It’s really good sound advice. It is a different world … travelers have to exercise much more caution going overseas than only 5 years ago. Similar to after 911 to some extent.
Just returned in October from a 2 week trip to Turkey, felt very safe there. Were there when Hamas struck Israel. No issues. We understood that Turks support the Palestinians but abhor terrorism. I'd go again.

Did a similar itinerary before the pandemic (started in marrakesh with day trips to rabat and casablanca, and 2 overnights at a desert camp near the algerian border - then flew to barcelona). Didn't venture as far north in Morocco as you are looking at. Chefchaouen is not too far from Tangier and is known as the blue city. Big tourist attraction.

Overall, Morocco was what I expected. Extreme economic divide - the king has castles everywhere. Just don't take too many pictures in front of the castles - ask me how i know? Very friendly locals just trying to make a living. the markets are extraordinary and the videos don't do them justice.

Decent infrastructure for a country of that stature. Cuisine is pretty limited - lots of chicken tangine. Lots of european investment to cater to the tourists.

The Iberico lardo infused paella at Abantal is one of the most delicious things I've ever had in my life.

Carrilladas tapas in sherry

do a Sherry class while he's there if he's never done before, and visit a sherry bodega.

In Morocco, take full advantage of the plentiful and ultracheap fresh squeezed pomegranate juice stands.

Make sure to at least visit Marakesh and Fes, and try to make it to Moulay Idriss as well. Essaouira for the freshest seafood ever - literally line caught in the blue boats in the morning, you pick them and can bring them to restaurants in the alley behind the harbor to cook over a wood fire for you.

Bob I was kidding around and it had nothing to do with the dangers of travel. It was that KS asked for travel advice and got three videos sent his way. That's all.
Travel advice is always welcome . That is precisely why people may post what is fact. I will surmise you have seen the latest posted threats here and abroad. It’s like our friends who last night at a restaurant said they couldn’t wait to travel to several questionable areas. Glad it’s not us as there are many too many thinking this is just made up stuff RUPete. It’s all real.

Just returned in October from a 2 week trip to Turkey, felt very safe there. Were there when Hamas struck Israel. No issues. We understood that Turks support the Palestinians but abhor terrorism. I'd go again.
Well if one is of Turkish ancestry or middle eastern Turkey is great. Great food and culture but… no more . I am a lover of travel for many many years . However some areas are very questionable for American travelers.

Hope anyone traveling for the holidays in Germany? Exactly why we are under a high high alert in the USA.

I was in Seville in September, it's a gorgeous city. I recommend the Royal Alcazar (get tix in advance). Also the Seville Cathedral is impressive.
It's also the place where flamenco originated and there are many places to see a show.
Cool areas: Plaza de Espana, Parque de Maria Luisa, Santa Cruz neighborhood, Triana neighborhood across the river, Las Setas
The food is amazing, it was my favorite city for food during my trip.
If you are going around to different cities the train system is much better than the US and easy to use. I took the high speed rail to and from Madrid, takes 2-3 hrs and not too expensive if you book in advance.

Restaurant suggestions (mostly tapas): Casa Morales, Bodega Santa Cruz, La Sacristía, Los Claleves

Didn't get to it but I hear Granada is amazing if you want to see another city (of course go to the Alhambra). .

I never really felt unsafe in Spain even at night but of course you have to be aware of your surroundings.
Seems like the main threat is pickpockets so I used a money belt.

Attractions

Train options

• Love
Gotta live and enjoy life. While the safety advice is appreciated, of course, while traveling abroad, one checks travel advisories, just like when traveling to major cities in the US. Bunker Bob wants to hide in a bunker in his basement and caution others to do the same.

Any forest fire towers on the Strait of Gibraltar? 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: RUforester72
In addition to what many above have said, I also recommend visiting Cordoba, which is not far from Sevilla. During the Moorish period (711 - 1492), Cordoba was Europe's largest city and its most advanced, in terms of science and medicine. If you go, be sure to visit the Mesquita, an unusually designed mosque into which an RC Cathedral was constructed after the Reconquista reached Cordoba and it fell to the Catholic Kings. https://mezquita-catedraldecordoba.es/en/

Malaga is a beautiful city on the coast. It's airport is large and serves the entire Costa del Sol. West of Malaga, the coast is overdeveloped and overcrowded but to the east it is much more pleasant. Nerja was mentioned above and I recommend a day trip there with lunch at the Restaurante Rey Alfonso XIII beneath the Balcon de Europa. The view of the coast from your table is fantastic and you can have a vegetarian paella or any other paella there. Just look for the winding staircase down from the Balcon de Europe.

If you'd like to visit a small Spanish town, Frigiliana is just 9 kilometers uphill from Nerja. It is one of the "white towns" for which Malaga Province is famous. Park at the base of the town and walk up into the village (just 3000 inhabitants) on a pedestrian street that passes from one end of the village to the other. I rented an apartment in Frigiliana for 5 months in 2018 and loved it. There are several good restaurants but one I recommend for its authentic atmosphere is El Senor. It's right on the main road. Ask anyone and they'll point you in the right direction.

If your Spring Break falls during Semana Santa (Holy Week), you will find that many places in Spain, just as in Latin America, are closed so check ahead before heading out the door.

Have a great time!

In addition to what many above have said, I also recommend visiting Cordoba, which is not far from Sevilla. During the Moorish period (711 - 1492), Cordoba was Europe's largest city and its most advanced, in terms of science and medicine. If you go, be sure to visit the Mesquita, an unusually designed mosque into which an RC Cathedral was constructed after the Reconquista reached Cordoba and it fell to the Catholic Kings. https://mezquita-catedraldecordoba.es/en/

Malaga is a beautiful city on the coast. It's airport is large and serves the entire Costa del Sol. West of Malaga, the coast is overdeveloped and overcrowded but to the east it is much more pleasant. Nerja was mentioned above and I recommend a day trip there with lunch at the Restaurante Rey Alfonso XIII beneath the Balcon de Europa. The view of the coast from your table is fantastic and you can have a vegetarian paella or any other paella there. Just look for the winding staircase down from the Balcon de Europe.

If you'd like to visit a small Spanish town, Frigiliana is just 9 kilometers uphill from Nerja. It is one of the "white towns" for which Malaga Province is famous. Park at the base of the town and walk up into the village (just 3000 inhabitants) on a pedestrian street that passes from one end of the village to the other. I rented an apartment in Frigiliana for 5 months in 2018 and loved it. There are several good restaurants but one I recommend for its authentic atmosphere is El Senor. It's right on the main road. Ask anyone and they'll point you in the right direction.

If your Spring Break falls during Semana Santa (Holy Week), you will find that many places in Spain, just as in Latin America, are closed so check ahead before heading out the door.

Have a great time!
I was always told Spaniards are rude and arrogant (by Hispanic people). I assume there was some exaggeration but it’s one of the few places in Europe I’ve never been to. How did you find them to be during your travels.

We did 3 weeks in Spain and Portugal for our honeymoon in Sept 1991. While it was a long time ago, that doesn't change much with regard to a few places to see and if you're going to be in southern Spain, I would implore you to get to Granada to see the Alhambra, which was just spectacular in so many ways. We did Granada, Cordoba and Sevilla in the south and liked Granada the best and Sevilla the least. We also did Toledo, San Sebastian (Basque region) and Barcelona and loved all three. Last but not least, if you're going to be that close to Portugal, I'd also highly recommend making a trip to the Algarve and especially to Lagos (near the SW tip of Portugal), which was probably our favorite place on our entire trip - incredible beauty, food, history, and friendly people. I'm sure you'll love no matter where you go, but this is my two cents.

I've been to Spain several times over 20+ years. We had an exchange student come live with us for her 'senior' year of H.S. (I was a soph in college) and we still consider her, and her family, our family. She's the friend of my 3rd cousin, who's half Spanish (mom is American, father Spanish). It's been such an amazing connection to have.

Anyway... my latest trip over was with my kids, mom, sister and her family this past June. We rented two houses for a week and said Spanish family came down and met us. We were in Roche, a community on the Atlantic ocean. It was amazing. Had a 4 bedroom 'ranch' with in-ground pool, 300 yard walk to the steps down to the beach. $2000 for the week. We were just North of Conil de la Frontera, which is a neat little town with lots of shops and restaurants, beaches. I thought the old part of Cadiz was nice; very much like other smaller cities in Spain. Narrow winding streets, city square, cathedral. We also walked around and had dinner at this cute hilltop town called Vejer de la Frontera. Our friends knew of it.

We did a day trip to Gibraltar. It was cool to experience, stayed mostly on the main street that has all of the shops and restaurants. Did a van driving tour on the mountain, got to see some of the attractions there: the Skywalk, St. Michael's Cave, the famous monkeys are everywhere on the mountain.

For the trip, kids and I flew into Madrid (it was a little cheaper and direct from EWR.) since our friends are in and around Madrid, we had a place to stay for the night before getting the rental car and driving down to the coast. It was between 6 & 7 hours. I loved seeing the Spanish countryside. My teenage kids slept. LOL. My sister her family and her mom flew to Sevilla, via Lisbon. Longer flights but shorter drive for them.

I rented through Vrbo. a property management company Dosextremos posts there and Airbnb. The manage lots of properties in and around Roche as well as somewhere up North. They were very easy to work with. I'd do it again, in a heartbeat.

I have NEVER felt unsafe in any part of Spain. Doesn't mean you don't have to be careful, but never had this fear or dread. My 18 daughter even went out in Madrid on her own. The subway and bus systems are pretty good and easy to figure out.

DM me and I can try and share pics, answers questions, etc.

Outside of perhaps being pickpocketed in Barcelona, if you are scared to walk around in Spain, you must be scared to walk around whatever sheltered suburb you come from.

I have been all over Europe and never once felt any kind of fear of anything besides perhaps a pickpocket. And even that is overblown by American media.

In terms of Morocco, it is a heavily touristed country which generally means intense security. The biggest issue would be a single woman getting catcalls and similar attention, which again, also unfortunately happens quite often here.

Reactions: Mike from MD
I was always told Spaniards are rude and arrogant (by Hispanic people). I assume there was some exaggeration but it’s one of the few places in Europe I’ve never been to. How did you find them to be during your travels.
I've experienced very little that I could classify as rudeness in Spain and over several visits, I've spent about 8 months in the country. They are more reserved than many other European groups and most Latin Americans. I speak Spanish so that might make a difference.

I have observed some non-verbal racist behavior on Spanish trains and read about it happening in futbol stadiums. And Spanish media, like ours, tries hard to make it seem as though the country is being overrun by illegal immigrants, crossing over from Morocco or in boats from the Moroccan Atlantic coast to the Canary Islands. These things are shown happening at night, making them seem more ominous. Most migrants, though, are not planning to remain in Spain but wish to pass through to go to France, Germany, and other richer countries to the north.

I think that basic rule of international travel holds true with Spain: travelers who are, themselves, friendly, curious, and respectful will be responded to in kind. Ugly Americans, Ugly, Germans, Ugly Brits, Italians, French, etc. - there can be a lot of ugliness out there, we do not have a monopoly on that - will also be responded to in kind. I've always believed that I am responsible for the way in which others treat me, at home and abroad.

I've experienced very little that I could classify as rudeness in Spain and over several visits, I've spent about 8 months in the country. They are more reserved than many other European groups and most Latin Americans. I speak Spanish so that might make a difference.

I have observed some non-verbal racist behavior on Spanish trains and read about it happening in futbol stadiums. And Spanish media, like ours, tries hard to make it seem as though the country is being overrun by illegal immigrants, crossing over from Morocco or in boats from the Moroccan Atlantic coast to the Canary Islands. These things are shown happening at night, making them seem more ominous. Most migrants, though, are not planning to remain in Spain but wish to pass through to go to France, Germany, and other richer countries to the north.

I think that basic rule of international travel holds true with Spain: travelers who are, themselves, friendly, curious, and respectful will be responded to in kind. Ugly Americans, Ugly, Germans, Ugly Brits, Italians, French, etc. - there can be a lot of ugliness out there, we do not have a monopoly on that - will also be responded to in kind. I've always believed that I am responsible for the way in which others treat me, at home and abroad.
Thanks for the response. The folks I got that from all spoke Spanish (Latin American) but had accents obviously different than a Spaniard. Some of them looked different than a home grown Spaniard. They perceived that Spaniards looked down on them. In some cases it was pretty visceral in other cases not so much or none at all so I was curious what you experienced.

I wouldn't say they were rude and arrogant per se. However. We were a group of four young ladies -- three were blonde, one dark haired. Wherever we went, the conversation was directed at the dark haired girl, even though she didn't speak or understand a word of Spanish. We frequently had men try to rattle us while we were driving on the highways, by driving erratically near us, etc, then laughing as they drove by. Didn't bother Jersey Girls though!

Plenty already posted about Seville and southern Spain, which I highly recommend. I was there during Expo ‘92 and a few times since. As corny as it sounds see a Flaminco dancing performance.

But what I really wanted to encourage is a side trip to Gibraltar. You can see most things in a day … go to the top of the rock, see the Barbary apes, tour the fortress/siege tunnels, go to Europa point… since I was there last I believe they completed a tunnel under the active runway at the airport so one cool detour is now gone (it was a unique experience to walk (or drive) across an active runway then walk across the border to Spain).

You can then take a taxi 30 miles to Tarifa, Spain for a 1 hour hydrofoil ferry trip to Tangier, Morocco (Tarifa to Tangier is the best and fastest ferry route). I hired a guide from a local hotel for a day long walking and driving tour of Tangier. The highlight was walking through the Casbah (I didn’t see Jason Bourne). Did this in a day and was back at my hotel in Gibraltar for a nightcap.

Enjoy the trip.

Plenty already posted about Seville and southern Spain, which I highly recommend. I was there during Expo ‘92 and a few times since. As corny as it sounds see a Flaminco dancing performance.

But what I really wanted to encourage is a side trip to Gibraltar. You can see most things in a day … go to the top of the rock, see the Barbary apes, tour the fortress/siege tunnels, go to Europa point… since I was there last I believe they completed a tunnel under the active runway at the airport so one cool detour is now gone (it was a unique experience to walk (or drive) across an active runway then walk across the border to Spain).

You can then take a taxi 30 miles to Tarifa, Spain for a 1 hour hydrofoil ferry trip to Tangier, Morocco (Tarifa to Tangier is the best and fastest ferry route). I hired a guide from a local hotel for a day long walking and driving tour of Tangier. The highlight was walking through the Casbah (I didn’t see Jason Bourne). Did this in a day and was back at my hotel in Gibraltar for a nightcap.

Enjoy the trip.
Did you Rock the Casbah? 😂

Thank you and everyone else for the tips. This forum never ceases to amaze with the depth of knowledge of everywhere and everything (except for pork roll and Honda Accords).

Thanks for the response. The folks I got that from all spoke Spanish (Latin American) but had accents obviously different than a Spaniard. Some of them looked different than a home grown Spaniard. They perceived that Spaniards looked down on them. In some cases it was pretty visceral in other cases not so much or none at all so I was curious what you experienced.
I'm originally from Latin America and travel to Spain a few times a year.

This definitely happens considering Latin Americans are the immigrants that typically hold service jobs.

It's mostly a class/race issue considering (example) Peruvians/Bolivians are looked down upon but Argentinians are put on a pedestal.

If you/anyone decides to go to San Sebastian and are in need of recs let me know.

I've been all over the country and San Sebastian has the best food in Spain.

Malaga was whatever to me but Granada is worth a visit.

Best advice I have to give?
Rent a car

They're definitely curious about LatAm accents. I have been asked a few times in Spain why, I, as an American, speak Spanish with a Latin American accent and not a Castilian one. I simply point out: we border Mexico and PR is part of the US- Spain, not so much!

The only place I've ever been to that has a chip on their soldier about it- and it's a small one- is France. They expect you to at least approach w a "bonjour." I notice then that if instead of speaking English, I started speaking Spanish, I get a much friendlier response- "English?"- with a big smile lol.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Trip nearly complete. Thanks for all the helpful advice. It's Semana Santa in Spain. They take Easter seriously here.

The weather was dreadful. Rained every day, but we made the most of every day. Made it to Cadiz, which was a very interesting city. Cordoba was fantastic, including the tour of the mosque. We saw the Cathedral and the palace in Sevilla.

Alhambra was sold out bc it was Semana Santa, and we were fine with not driving 2.5 hours each way.

Spain has some very lovely public parks. There is a large park in Madrid near the major train station that we could have spent an entire day exploring.

We had our full of tapas for a long time. The pizza here is excellent. We were surprised that the Burger King's and McDs were all busy. Our best meal was in a lovely Italian restaurant near the Flamenco show we went to.

The night life and restaurant scene is fantastic here. Many restaurants are open past midnight, and the streets were packed late at night.

Highly recommend a visit to Sevilla, Cordoba and Cadiz.

Back to Semana Santa, there are multiple elaborate processions in each city every day of Easter week. The locals wear a robe and pointed hoods that bear a striking resemblance to KKK garb. They have different colored robes and hoods. On day on, when we saw a bunch of people in the white hoods and robes we were a bit surprised. The hoods are a sign of penance for Easter week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT