ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Spain and Morocco

I was always told Spaniards are rude and arrogant (by Hispanic people). I assume there was some exaggeration but it’s one of the few places in Europe I’ve never been to. How did you find them to be during your travels.
Never experienced rudeness in Spain... Spain and Portugal are two countries that I'm always wanting to return to, not only super affordable but the people are generally happy and welcoming. Just watch out in Barcelona, lots of pickpockets and scammer types. Almost everyone I know that has visited has had some incident there. Wonderful place though.

The French on the other hand... Hohoho impolie comme une mère... lol. I have a cousin there, they are great but people there really have a stick up their ass worse than anyone in the tristate, and are more aggressive drivers than we have in NJ too, tailgate the shit out of people and zigzag. I was going 120 km/hr which was faster than the speed limit and still getting tailgated like crazy. I generally dont like driving in Europe, the cities are really old, so they aren't really built for driving in, hence why people there all drive compact cars and often streets have really sharp turns, so it's sucks ass as a tourist with a family renting a SUV to fit the family luggage).

In Europe I've been to Spain twice (Andalusia -Sevilla and all over the South after visiting Morocco; Barcelona and then Basque region San Sebastian to Bilbao), Italy three times (Rome, Almafi, Cinque Terre, Florence/Tuscany, San Marino, Emilia-Romania/Bologna-Modena-Parma, Venice), Portugal once (Lisbon and Algarve coast), Greece (Athens, all over Peloponnese, Santorini, Crete), France twice (Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg region, Loire valley, Burgundy, Rhone valley, Riviera), Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzogovina.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
[QUOTE="Knight Shift, post: 6761948, member: 4488"

Back to Semana Santa, there are multiple elaborate processions in each city every day of Easter week. The locals wear a robe and pointed hoods that bear a striking resemblance to KKK garb. They have different colored robes and hoods. On day on, when we saw a bunch of people in the white hoods and robes we were a bit surprised. The hoods are a sign of penance for Easter week.

[/QUOTE]
Haha read about that. Well throughout history, meaningful signs have been made ugly by other groups. The Swastika for example has always been a Hindu and Buddhist sign for peace and luck. As someone whose grandmother was a devout Buddhist, I'd seen that symbol so many times as a child before I ever learned about the Nazis. Always found it very odd they used it as a symbol to wage war and slaughter because it's basically the complete opposite meaning.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Trip nearly complete. Thanks for all the helpful advice. It's Semana Santa in Spain. They take Easter seriously here.

The weather was dreadful. Rained every day, but we made the most of every day. Made it to Cadiz, which was a very interesting city. Cordoba was fantastic, including the tour of the mosque. We saw the Cathedral and the palace in Sevilla.

Alhambra was sold out bc it was Semana Santa, and we were fine with not driving 2.5 hours each way.

Spain has some very lovely public parks. There is a large park in Madrid near the major train station that we could have spent an entire day exploring.

We had our full of tapas for a long time. The pizza here is excellent. We were surprised that the Burger King's and McDs were all busy. Our best meal was in a lovely Italian restaurant near the Flamenco show we went to.

The night life and restaurant scene is fantastic here. Many restaurants are open past midnight, and the streets were packed late at night.

Highly recommend a visit to Sevilla, Cordoba and Cadiz.

Back to Semana Santa, there are multiple elaborate processions in each city every day of Easter week. The locals wear a robe and pointed hoods that bear a striking resemblance to KKK garb. They have different colored robes and hoods. On day on, when we saw a bunch of people in the white hoods and robes we were a bit surprised. The hoods are a sign of penance for Easter week.

The park in Madrid is called El Retiro. It is beautiful.

Re; McDonalds...the caliber of the food is MUCH higher outside of the US. If you're in a rush abroad and it's the only thing around, there are worse things. I've gotten in Europe when I was running for a train and it's better than ours because the ingredients are much fresher.

Never experienced rudeness in Spain... Spain and Portugal are two countries that I'm always wanting to return to, not only super affordable but the people are generally happy and welcoming. Just watch out in Barcelona, lots of pickpockets and scammer types. Almost everyone I know that has visited has had some incident there. Wonderful place though.

The French on the other hand... Hohoho impolie comme une mère... lol. I have a cousin there, they are great but people there really have a stick up their ass worse than anyone in the tristate, and are more aggressive drivers than we have in NJ too, tailgate the shit out of people and zigzag. I was going 120 km/hr which was faster than the speed limit and still getting tailgated like crazy. I generally dont like driving in Europe, the cities are really old, so they aren't really built for driving in, hence why people there all drive compact cars and often streets have really sharp turns, so it's sucks ass as a tourist with a family renting a SUV to fit the family luggage).

In Europe I've been to Spain twice (Andalusia -Sevilla and all over the South after visiting Morocco; Barcelona and then Basque region San Sebastian to Bilbao), Italy three times (Rome, Almafi, Cinque Terre, Florence/Tuscany, San Marino, Emilia-Romania/Bologna-Modena-Parma, Venice), Portugal once (Lisbon and Algarve coast), Greece (Athens, all over Peloponnese, Santorini, Crete), France twice (Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg region, Loire valley, Burgundy, Rhone valley, Riviera), Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzogovina.

In Europe I find the drivers in Italy most aggressive but nothing compared to outside of Europe (Egypt by far and away the wildest).

French people are probably the toughest nut to crack but if you address them in French or a non-English language causing them to switch to English they'll be way nicer for whatever reason. But definitely not as warm as some others. Portuguese are among the friendliest in Europe and typically speak good English. Big difference though versus France as many seem to have lived in the US or other English speaking countries and of course, have a very special kinship with NJ. One of the few places I've been where you say NJ and get "oh yeah I lived in Newark or Elizabeth" lol.

Reactions: cshelley

Yes, Spain is super poor for a development nation. They are one of the most difficult European nations to deal with regarding healthcare and medication access/reimbursement. They just don't have a lot of money.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Yes, Spain is super poor for a development nation. They are one of the most difficult European nations to deal with regarding healthcare and medication access/reimbursement. They just don't have a lot of money.
Saw a lot of metabolically healthy, non-obese people in Spain. Better metabolic health via a healthier diet and more movement (walking and biking instead of driving) leads to less of a need for healthcare services and medication. Countries in black have longest life expectancy. Save your misinformed, snarky response:

2560px-Countries_and_regions_by_life_expectancy_at_birth_in_2019_%282020_report%29.svg.png

Saw a lot of metabolically healthy, non-obese people in Spain. Better metabolic health via a healthier diet and more movement (walking and biking instead of driving) leads to less of a need for healthcare services and medication. Countries in black have longest life expectancy. Save your misinformed, snarky response:

2560px-Countries_and_regions_by_life_expectancy_at_birth_in_2019_%282020_report%29.svg.png

Oh yes, their diet is fantastic compared to many other cultures/nations. However, this has nothing to do with wealth and government revenue. Stupid to assume the two are connected.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Oh yes, their diet is fantastic compared to many other cultures/nations. However, this has nothing to do with wealth and government revenue. Stupid to assume the two are connected.

The healthiest nations on that map are also the wealthiest. Where is the debate? US/Canada, Western Europe, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia and NZ.

Even regionally- Chile and Costa Rica are among the wealthiest in LatAm.

There is also no such thing as a "development nation" and by absolutely no one's definition is Spain "developing." It is a first world country that has better healthcare outcomes than this one.

I was in Spain a few years ago...I went to a pharmacy for an eye cream that costs $80 here plus the doctor's appointment for the prescription. In Spain, the pharmacist sold it to me...and I asked to him to ring it up he winced at the price...9 Euros! Yes, they must be so jealous!

The healthiest nations on that map are also the wealthiest. Where is the debate? US/Canada, Western Europe, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Australia and NZ.

Even regionally- Chile and Costa Rica are among the wealthiest in LatAm.

There is also no such thing as a "development nation" and by absolutely no one's definition is Spain "developing." It is a first world country that has better healthcare outcomes than this one.

I was in Spain a few years ago...I went to a pharmacy for an eye cream that costs $80 here plus the doctor's appointment for the prescription. In Spain, the pharmacist sold it to me...and I asked to him to ring it up he winced at the price...9 Euros! Yes, they must be so jealous!
My son noted how much less expensive nearly everything is in Spain. One exception is gasoline. Seemed it was $7-8 USD per gallon by rough calculation

My son noted how much less expensive nearly everything is in Spain. One exception is gasoline. Seemed it was $7-8 USD per gallon by rough calculation

Yeah gas will always be more in Europe because they don't produce as much as we do, and their consumer demand isn't like ours because they are culturally more inclined to walkability and public transport. Outside of a few areas in the US (including a lot of NJ) you can't walk to stores and take a train to work like you can there.

Yeah gas will always be more in Europe because they don't produce as much as we do, and their consumer demand isn't like ours because they are culturally more inclined to walkability and public transport. Outside of a few areas in the US (including a lot of NJ) you can't walk to stores and take a train to work like you can there.
I nearly sh!t myself when we went to the gas station. First, I'm looking for the credit card thingy at the pump. My son goes inside and asks the guy in Spanish where do we pay, and he says, you fill up first, and then you pay (you stupid American!). I told my son to ask him if he has ever been to Jersey and if he was familiar with the concept of larceny? But for a 250 km trip, we spent $55 in gasoline! The economics will force people to buy EVs over there for those that drive a lot.

Two other observations- was surprised by the amount of graffiti and the amount of litter in the city streets.

I nearly sh!t myself when we went to the gas station. First, I'm looking for the credit card thingy at the pump. My son goes inside and asks the guy in Spanish where do we pay, and he says, you fill up first, and then you pay (you stupid American!). I told my son to ask him if he has ever been to Jersey and if he was familiar with the concept of larceny? But for a 250 km trip, we spent $55 in gasoline! The economics will force people to buy EVs over there for those that drive a lot.

Two other observations- was surprised by the amount of graffiti and the amount of litter in the city streets.

Europe is crazy with graffiti. I don't think I saw one clean inch in Naples.

Does it look good in your neighborhood Pete? Yeah Art Appreciation has always been a Rutgers thing.

If we were living in Coney Island Brooklyn or in the Bronx or Queens maybe it fits ? Those saying it is an art form are correct but nobody wants it in their actual neighborhood or perhaps they do? You don’t want what Europe has or is allowing people to do. We have enough issues .

Street art...not graffiti. At least that is what they call it in the UK.

Naples and London very different in that regard. While some of what you see in Naples could be regarded as art, much of it couldn't. I don't recall London being as bad as a lot of continental Europe with it.

Street art like the David Bowie in JC is a different animal.

It’s funny I have both of you on ignore as well. This Art form belongs in a cave not in residential home neighborhoods . I would suggest you both get a place together and hire those Art Deco painters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT