ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Surprising Binges

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
Since I can't let RaRa get too far ahead of me in the Inane Thread Department...

In these days of Netflix and On Demand everything we take a lot of content for granted. We ignore some great stuff until its inertia compels us to watch it. The resulting binge experiences can be amazing.

My latest is Californication. Duchovny is amazing in this role. Saw my first episode Friday afternoon and got through two seasons over the weekend. Great, great show.

The complete series of Eastbound and Down (seasons 1-4) is available on hbogo.com. Stars Danny McBride. If you like raunchy, silly comedies, this is a must watch.

Originally posted by BellyFullOfWhiteDogCrap:

The complete series of Eastbound and Down (seasons 1-4) is available on hbogo.com. Stars Danny McBride. If you like raunchy, silly comedies, this is a must watch.
Californication has naked chicks. Does a show about baseball players also have naked chicks?

I've seen probably the first 4 or 5 seasons of Californication. For some reason or the other I stopped watching it. Same thing happened to me with Shameless after the first 3 seasons or so. I guess I found the plots repetitive? Not sure, but are the more recent seasons of Californication any good? Worth getting back into?

Originally posted by RU4Real:

Californication has naked chicks. Does a show about baseball players also have naked chicks?
The central character is a washed-up baseball player, but the show has little to do with baseball. And yes, there are plenty of naked chicks as well as drug use, and off color humor.

I was hooked from the first episode of Californication. Who knew the little girl who played Grace Sheffield in The Nanny would grow up to be such a knockout?

latest

madeline-zima-574199l.jpg

This post was edited on 3/23 7:43 PM by RUJohnny99

I watched the entire series Raising Hope on Netflix in about a month. I think there are 4 seasons. Seriously underrated. If you like Ricky Gervais, I recommend the original British version of The Office on Netflix, and Extras on HBOGo.

Originally posted by RUJohnny99:
I was hooked from the first episode of Californication. Who knew the little girl who played Grace Sheffield in The Nanny would grow up to be such a knockout?

ec

ec

This post was edited on 3/23 7:43 PM by RUJohnny99
That moment for me happened as soon as I discovered Natascha McElhone was in the cast. I would let her do stuff to me. Vile, nasty stuff.

Anyone watch The Knick on Cinemax? Watched it on a whim and couldn't stop. Great show and makes me happy to be living in a time with modern medicine, although patent medicines look pretty fun. Also just watched Fargo and am in the middle The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, both of which are fantastic.

2 thumbs up on The Knick. Clive Owen is fantastic. Cinemax does a behind the scenes on each episode and according to the writers, the medical techniques are very accurate historically. My favorite episode would definitely be when Thack and Bertie discover the cure for placenta praevia with the help of their Asian "assistants"

Funny, funny show. You will like it.

But there will be points when you're watching it when you say to yourself...should I really be laughing at this? Some of the off color stuff while hilarious (REALLY funny) makes you check your moral compass.

Very very few series match up to Peaky Blinders on NefFlix already in its second season. The name deters many but the post WW1 Irish gangster story rivals the brutal realism of the Soprano's and the and twisting plot lines involving Irish, Italian, Jewish gangs and a dose of government intrigue. An incredible cast including Cillian Murphy whose acting carries the show like Gandolfini did, surrounded by a cast which includes well knowns like Sam Neil and Tom Hardy. The lesser known cast members fit flawlessly into this gritty, violent, and romantic drama that like the Soprano's, intertwines the traumatic experiences of the characters which influences their decision making.

The score and music is what ties it all together - an incredible compilation that is not rooted in the time period but somehow captures the essence of the show.

Peaky Blinders got me hooked with the first episode and I assumed by the end of Season 1 it could not get any better. I was wrong - the second season exceeded the first. No idea when season 3 comes out.

This post was edited on 3/23 10:30 PM by 52Miner

Originally posted by 52Miner:
Very very few series match up to Peaky Blinders on NefFlix already in its second season. The name deters many but the post WW1 Irish gangster story rivals the brutal realism of the Soprano's and the and twisting plot lines involving Irish, Italian, Jewish gangs and a dose of government intrigue. An incredible cast including Cillian Murphy whose acting carries the show like Gandolfini did, surrounded by a cast which includes well knowns like Sam Neil and Tom Hardy. The lesser known cast members fit flawlessly into this gritty, violent, and romantic drama that like the Soprano's, intertwines the traumatic experiences of the characters which influences their decision making.

The score and music is what ties it all together - an incredible compilation that is not rooted in the time period but somehow captures the essence of the show.

Peaky Blinders got me hooked with the first episode and I assumed by the end of Season 1 it could not get any better. I was wrong - the second season exceeded the first. No idea when season 3 comes out.

Your the second person I've seen highly recommend that show. Gotta give it a shot I guess.

+1 also for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, very 30 Rock kind of feel to it (which I enjoy)

Originally posted by knightfan7:

I watched the 1st 3 seasons of "Episodes" about a month ago. Matt LeBlanc is great in it.
Funny...didn't like him in it or the English couple either.

The neurotic hot producer(?) was enjoyable though. For a little while at least then like the rest of the cast even she got on my nerves. LOL

Rescue Me on FX. About a FDNY firehouse post 9/11. I dont think Dennis Leary goes too far out of his comfort zone for the role but he plays it very well.

Big Love. The concept is very interesting and for the most part well written.

Another interesting actress from Californication is the well-endowed Eva Amurri (now Eva Amurri Martino.) She played Jackie who was in the 3rd season only. She is the real-life daughter of Susan Sarandon. Imdb page

Originally posted by 52Miner:

I will have to check that out, I see it listed on Netflix all the time. I just re-watched the whole Sopranos and it was just as good as the first time. I did notice though that its no surprise Gandolfini died so young, you could hear him breathing the entire series.

Originally posted by newell138:

I just re-watched the whole Sopranos and it was just as good as the first time. I did notice though that its no surprise Gandolfini died so young, you could hear him breathing the entire series.
"The fjords are full of bodies of those who mistook Norwegians for soft and weak."

I watched all three seasons of Lilyhammer this winter. This is essentially the Sopranos spinoff series with Steven Van Zandt playing Silvio except he is renamed Frank Tartaglia/Giovanni (Johnny) Henriksen and joins the witness protection program and runs offfrom Brooklyn to Lilehammer, Norway. I liked his Norwegian crew especially Torgier Lien, who is the second best criminal sidekick ever (next to Jesse Pinkman). Tony Sirico also makes an appearance as Frank's brother and Brooklyn neighborhood priest (and still sorta connected). Then there is an appearance in the last episode of the third season of the guy known as the Undertaker who should be known to all on this board (second from left in this picture- very last scene in that episode). Maybe not the best made series but still very entertaining.

21zv0_eRX6yps-872fD3RQ96gYarTR3IZFqmJHz7bMRw

RUScrew85 was just telling me the other day that he has become addicted to binge watching all the West Wing episodes on Netflix.

Originally posted by mildone:
RUScrew85 was just telling me the other day that he has become addicted to binge watching all the West Wing episodes on Netflix.
I don't get it. The West Wing was a great show and the entire series was the first thing I did with my Netflix account.

Originally posted by mildone:
I don't get it. The West Wing was a great show and the entire series was the first thing I did with my Netflix account.
I'm not mocking the show at all. I enjoyed it myself, mostly for the rapid-fire interplay between characters.

But I'll bet Screw totally hated that show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT