ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse's top 2025 recruit decommits

my point was that Fran Brown walks on the earth, not water, and get issues and challenges like everyone else.

And my point is that Schiano's most successful classes always involved some valuable assistants setting the table. Hafley, Brown or the current staff. Who does Brown have setting the table?

And my point is that Schiano's most successful classes always involved some valuable assistants setting the table. Hafley, Brown or the current staff. Who does Brown have setting the table?
It doesn’t matter if Brown can’t get better assistants. I see some believe Schiano can delegate recruiting but can’t delegate on field decision making. Fran will have to prove himself on the field with results.

Cuse 2025 recruiting class is average to below average. Reality sets in. Currently 6th in the ACC but will be 9th at the end of recruiting season. I guess he’s better than the last coach in recruiting who might have been in last place.

I guess Money won’t be posting on our board any time soon.

Last edited:
They were committed, but then decommitted. I wouldn't put this on Fran Brown. He got them to commit.
He recruited players that were academically at risk and then had to release them because they need to go the JUCO route to become eligible. That's totally on Fran Brown and no one else.

RU was recruiting one of them early on and then backed off after doing it's due diligence.

Elijah Robinison, he was the national recruiter of the year by the other service in 2022, when he coached at Texas A&M.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Fran is an elite recruiter but he's decades too late to follow Schiano's model of building up programs.

Friend of mine is plugged into the scene and he's given me really interesting insight as to why Rutgers is trending up.

He recruited players that were academically at risk and then had to release them because they need to go the JUCO route to become eligible. That's totally on Fran Brown and no one else.

RU was recruiting one of them early on and then backed off after doing it's due diligence.

Difference between being just a guy, and being the guy.

Fran wasted money and time. Amateur.

Elijah Robinison, he was the national recruiter of the year by the other service in 2022, when he coached at Texas A&M.

Isn’t that around the time Saban said something is amiss at A&M and accused Jimbo & staff of getting the best class money can buy??? If so, Robinson was, in realty, the bag man of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
Fran is an elite recruiter but he's decades too late to follow Schiano's model of building up programs.

Friend of mine is plugged into the scene and he's given me really interesting insight as to why Rutgers is trending up.
Ok?

...care to share the really interesting insight ?????
Asked in the "Ask the Staff" to verify if what I've heard is true. But it basically boils down to Schiano's long career coaching and his growing tree. Add to that the growing distinction in reputation and finances between the B1G/SEC and the rest and you basically have a network of recruiters that will push for Rutgers over (in this case) Syracuse.

This makes me so sad for them.
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha
Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
a couple of things when it comes to Fran...
1) We do know he is an incredible recruiter
2) Not such a good position coach

What I am seeing too often is the complacency that because he is not a great position coach or no coordinator experience, he is going to suck as a head coach.
But, we have seen so many GREAT position and Coordinators that suck at being HC...Does a HC really have to be a great position coach? It may help but I don't think you have to be if you have the funds to hire the right staff.

That addresses the coaching part- being a bad position coach does not mean you will be a bad HC.
Recruiting- he had a wave of success early on and with the portal. But, I think he is quickly finding out- recruiting kids to go to the tundra is just a little different then going to a location 45 minutes from NYC and the Jersey Shore. NIL may help with a handful of kids but is not going to help with depth.
Also- a flailing ACC vs the B1G hmmmmm

What I am seeing too often is the complacency that because he is not a great position coach or no coordinator experience, he is going to suck as a head coach.
But, we have seen so many GREAT position and Coordinators that suck at being HC...Does a HC really have to be a great position coach? It may help but I don't think you have to be if you have the funds to hire the right staff.

That addresses the coaching part- being a bad position coach does not mean you will be a bad HC.
Recruiting- he had a wave of success early on and with the portal. But, I think he is quickly finding out- recruiting kids to go to the tundra is just a little different then going to a location 45 minutes from NYC and the Jersey Shore. NIL may help with a handful of kids but is not going to help with depth.
Position coach has no bearing on him as a head coach.

The lack of being a coordinator does as a DC role would have him planning and doing certain other things that would prepare him for being a head coach.

He’s going to be learning on the fly as a result. And that will lead to mistakes especially with end of half/end of game time management and time out usage for starters. He may also not have an appreciation for how to approach 4th down situations in game especially on offense which could lead to bad decisions.

Will be interesting to see how fast he gets through the learning curve.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

He still has not addressed the Oline via the portal and their recruiting of OL has been horrible. That statue of a QB (McCord) they just got via the portal is going to learn real quick he can't have breakfast, lunch and dinner back there like he did at OSU. Brown's only saving grace will be he plays probably the worst P4 schedule ever assembled. There's a real good chance they will not face a single top 25 school.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT