ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ted Lasso

Love Ted Lasso but this season has been pretty blah. Season 1 was awesome. Season 2 was good. The acting seems forced this season. I haven't watched this week's episode but looking forward to it based on the above comments.

Reactions: jeRseyguy1010
My wife and I agreed that this was either the best or second best episode ever (Christmas episode still maybe number one)

Honestly, I have not jumped on the Ted Lasso train, but you can always catch up with streaming. What in everybody's opinion makes it so great? Humor? Mix of drama and humor? Writing? Acting?

Honestly, I have not jumped on the Ted Lasso train, but you can always catch up with streaming. What in everybody's opinion makes it so great? Humor? Mix of drama and humor? Writing? Acting?
It became a hit because it was a show about perseverance in difficult circumstances and in was released in April of 2020.
Clever dialogue, great characters and they cover every type of relationship dynamic you can think of.

I do hope that Ted and Rebecca never hook up. That would be jumping the shark.

All of the above. This captures it better than I could (from the link below): "Good is an understatement, rather Coach Lasso embodies kindness, decency, compassion, vulnerability, and forgiveness, without an ounce of cynicism. Which is a revolutionary concept in a world rife with discord, negativity, and pessimism."

https://movieweb.com/ted-lasso-show...nt, rather,discord, negativity, and pessimism.

It became a hit because it was a show about perseverance in difficult circumstances and in was released in April of 2020.
Clever dialogue, great characters and they cover every type of relationship dynamic you can think of.

I would probably like it. I guess if they do hook up, that will probably be the last season. You know, similar to the whole couple comedy thing and then the baby comes along...

I'd rather see his character get together with Sassy on a more regular basis, as I find that character funny and interesting and would like to see more of her on the show.

I just started it and binged it in 2 weeks to catch up. Haven't caught this week's yet. I see that this is the final season. I think it's the right move. You can see that they're setting it up for Ted to go home and for Nate to redeem himself and take over the team. Roy will hook up with the teacher.

Reactions: Section124
I often bail on shows that people worship as classics long before they end because they start out with a great supporting cast and then over time spend too much time on the supporting cast at the expense of what made them great in the beginning.

Ted Lasso is falling into the same trap. Some of these characters were great because of how they interacted with each other, now they are barely on screen together because of their tangential storylines.

Fantastic series. My wife and I love it.

IMO, the best scene of the entire series is the dart game in season 1 between Ted and Rupert. "Be curious, not judgmental."
That’s my favorite scene too.

I’m like one of the posters above. Season 1 is done well and it's feel good. Season 2 was okay and I’ve watched 3 episodes of season 3 and it’s also okay. Season 1 was the best so far for me.

I'm in the same camp as others that season 3 has been a little bit 'meh' thus far. Until this week's episode. Season 3, episode 6 is the best Ted Lasso episode in a LONG time. Compelling storylines for pretty much everyone, weaved together nicely. Roy Kent and Jamie in the bike scene is hilarious. It was just a fantastic feel-good Ted Lasso episode.

Top 3 episodes for me, in no particular order:

Dart scene with "be curious, not judgmental" (need to hang this quote in my office)
Christmas episode
Last night's episode

Interesting side note about “be curious, not judgmental”; it’s attributed to Walt Whitman, but there’s no evidence that he said or wrote it.

IMO, the best scene of the entire series is the dart game in season 1 between Ted and Rupert. "Be curious, not judgmental."
I think Pikiell and Ted Lasso( as portrayed), have very similar personalities; very positive, rarely negative.

Started watching last summer, ironically on flights to/from the UK. Season 3 is meh so far except the last episode which is one of the best in the series. Would've been cool if this season mirrored Premier League season from March to May and both Richmond and West Ham were battling for the title or keeping out of relegation in real time.

I just hope to learn Coach Beard's first name or his real name or if he has a name at all.

"Beard After Dark" reminded me of Breaking Bad's "Fly" episode.

Just caught up and agree with everyone that episode 6 was a classic. So many interesting story lines and twists. Rebecca and the Dutch guy, Roy and Jamie's "training" session across Amsterdam, Ted rediscovering total football, Beard as Bowie (wish we had seen more of that), Trent and Colin's mutual discoveries, Keely and Jack, and getting to see Leslie channel his inner Chet Baker. Bravo!

OK. After the first 3 or so ho hum episodes, the show found its groove again. Been solid episodes since the slow start. Only negative is too many characters to have deeper storylines. Seems like they are just doing enough to finish the series.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
How does the show end? Place your bets.

I say that Ted leaves the team permanently to reconcile with his ex wife and son, Roy Kent becomes the head coach of Richmond and Rebecca hires Nathan as a hit man to kill Rupert.

If there is ever a show revival, then Ted will become the RU FB HC. The show would be a three episode miniseries, ending with Ted Lasso voluntarily checking into hospital with debilitating depression.

I've never seen Lasso but Keeley Hazell has writing credit for one episode

How does the show end? Place your bets.

I say that Ted leaves the team permanently to reconcile with his ex wife and son, Roy Kent becomes the head coach of Richmond and Rebecca hires Nathan as a hit man to kill Rupert.

If there is ever a show revival, then Ted will become the RU FB HC. The show would be a three episode miniseries, ending with Ted Lasso voluntarily checking into hospital with debilitating depression.
I wonder if they might not do a spin off with the gang going on without Ted Lasso.

I'm undecided on whether it's Nate or Roy who will takeover. I felt like Roy's first press conference was harbinger of him growing into those shoes. I thought maybe Nate as an assistant to Roy. He led West Ham but also seems more comfortable in the background.

Also wondering how the season will end. Will it be wrapped up in a nice bow with the team going out as champs? Or another possible lesson taught when things don't end up as you might want? Ending on a slightly sour note, could end up as a doorway to a spinoff as well, a sort of unfinished business. I lean towards the nice bow but we'll see.

I wonder if they might not do a spin off with the gang going on without Ted Lasso.

I'm undecided on whether it's Nate or Roy who will takeover. I felt like Roy's first press conference was harbinger of him growing into those shoes. I thought maybe Nate as an assistant to Roy. He led West Ham but also seems more comfortable in the background.

Also wondering how the season will end. Will it be wrapped up in a nice bow with the team going out as champs? Or another possible lesson taught when things don't end up as you might want? Ending on a slightly sour note, could end up as a doorway to a spinoff as well, a sort of unfinished business. I lean towards the nice bow but we'll see.

Don’t count out Coach Beard.

I’m thinking it will be a combination of predictable and unpredictable.

Obviously, Ted is going home and I think he’ll settle for being friends with his ex-wife.

The Rupert story will be interesting. He did redeem himself a bit with quashing the super league. So, I think Rebecca won’t want him annihilated completely.

By the way, the whole Keely-Jack thing was ridiculous. First, why would a start-up PR firm need serious private equity? They bill by the hour. No hard assets. Nothing being developed or created. Then they broke up and she pulled the investment. Obvious harassment.

I think WHU wins the league (ie Richmond loses- maybe in excruciating fashion) but shortly thereafter Rupert has his downfall - likely something to do with the brief scene where Rupert's wife brings that girl over to Rebecca's house (part of my criticism of this season is things are quite obvious - every loose end gets tied up - almost like a hallmark movie). I think Nate is done with coaching and settles with that waitress. Ted heads back to Kansas for his son. Roy takes over Richmond. I've said it before but this season feels like a lot of other series where the writers kind of didn't originally anticipate the story going this long. There will never be anything approaching the "dart scene" of season 1. Watching this it is almost like a totally different show now (in a bad way).

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
That’s it. While it’s not season 1, I really enjoyed it.

Without saying too much, I feel they left enough open to continue on if they want to, but they probably shouldn’t, as much as I’d love to have more Ted Lasso in my life.

Liked that scene too. Reminded me of my Dad. He always pulled the "how do you play this game?" routine with darts and horseshoes. Friggin' hilarious
Loved the show from go, but all the forced woke garbage this season takes away from what made the show great. Clumsy at best working in the checklist of talking points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT