ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thank you

Like many I have had family and friends go through this and the holidays are a particularly rough time. This time of year, all things family tend to get amplified (both good and bad). Best advice I can give you is to be prepared.

Try to work things out amicably, but be ready to litigate if needed. Once you your ex hires an attorney find out as much as you can about them. If you are hoping for an amicable resolution, and your ex hires a pitbull litigator, then you need to protect yourself and go that route too. If protection/restraining orders are involved, then you need to be prepared for a messy situation. A good friend's son had his life and career upended when his ex hired a litigator. He was unprepared and thought that it would be amicable. My brother and his ex managed a reasonable split, but it took time.

Reactions: knightfan7
You in NJ? NJ seems to have some complicated emancipation rules.

When my eldest graduated college, I emailed my ex that I was cutting my child support payments by a third, with which the ex had no problem.

Had the kid immediately gone to grad school, I couldn't have done that. Had she not gone to school, it would be 21 (I think) unless she joined the military at 18, in which case she'd be immediately emancipated.

Had we gone through the courts, I'm guessing the court would've asked for everybody's current financial info and recomputed everything for two kids.

I should've sold her to a Saudi prince when she was 13. Blonde, blue eyed and beautiful - would've fetched me an easy $5 million. That'd be a lot of hookers and blow, I'm just sayin'. My youngest (male) doesn't want me to get snipped - says I should have some more daughters and not make the same mistake as last time. Probably figures his cut of my estate will go up, the mercenary little brat. LOL
Pictures in this thread? It’s not creepy since I’m only 22

Yeah, they don't just stop. It has to be approved by the court. To my shock the ex didn't object to it. I'm sure she had a lawyer tell her it was over.

I had to file a papers stating my youngest had a job waiting before she finished school and most important, my son who had already finished school, was working full time, and had been living with me for a while so it was a slam dunk.
The way things have settled out for us is that my daughter, who's 24 and working in NYC for a couple years before going for her MBA, is now living full time with her mom across town, while my youngest (19), who is a sophomore and is also working part-time as an EMT is living full-time with me. Our middle child, (21), graduates this year and is headed for law school. He lives year round off-campus in New Brunswick.

Not sure what the courts would make of all that, child-support-wise. I just pay the ex 2/3 of the original child-support amount and she's fine with that. I'll keep paying for the middle-kid while he's in law school, even though he won't be living at home, and for the youngest until he's out of school. Assuming my daughter goes away to get her MBA, I don't believe the courts would re-institute child-support for her at 25 or 26, so I don't plan to go back to paying the full amount.

I also pay 60/40, which loosely correlated with our relative incomes back when we got divorced, for all relevant kid expenses, like school and medical stuff, on top of child-support.

I figure I could go to the courts and wind up not paying much child-support at all given the current situation. My wife certainly doesn't need the extra money. But whatever, it's just money and it'll all wind up with the kids anyway.

Civil and peaceful is definitely the way to go, hopefully your wife can ultimately arrive at the same conclusion. It sounds like emotions are running high right now, but if you can delay a bit, allow time for everyone to simmer down, and be willing to compromise, especially about financial stuff, that can save you a ton of money and heartache.

I had an unusually good divorce. We had property, kids, retirement plans, etc. Plus I had stock options in a company and my own business. Typical stuff that can lead to tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of legal and financial analyst fees.

My total legal bill for the entire divorce was $385.

My ex and I worked out almost everything ourselves and the attorneys were only there to dot the i's and cross the t's. By prior agreement, my ex had her attorney draw up an initial, standard, divorce agreement that split everything down the middle (including equal custody). Then she (my ex) and I just worked through it together and amended it as we saw fit. Her attorney updated it, my attorney reviewed it. Done. Neither I nor my attorney bothered to attend court for it - there was no need.

It's only when one side or the other gets dumb and insists on prying every possible penny, or every possible minute of custody, that things get really contentious. Or when the parties want to use the divorce as a weapon to punish the other. Which is cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

My ex and I have remained friends, we do family holidays (like Christmas, Thanksgiving) together, still go out to dinner with our kids (the youngest of which is 19 now). I'm just saying, it's possible to have a divorce and not rip each others' heads off. Sounds like you understand that. Hopefully your wife comes to realize it too.

Good luck.
The way it should be. Very nice.
Just one question. Was the reason for divorce "hookers and blow?" Or was that the fun that came after divorce?

Never used it. Or any other dating site.

Before @DJ Spanky says it, it's mostly because sheep can't fill out online profiles.
And because you're not particularly picky. If they "BAAAAAA", you're there.
Just one question. Was the reason for divorce "hookers and blow?" Or was that the fun that came after divorce?
No, it was his attraction for woolly livestock.

The way it should be. Very nice.
Actually, hookers and blow could've been a wedge issue. We shared the same dealer/pimp and couldn't come to an agreement on who got him.

We went with a Solomonic solution. Didn't work out so well for the dealer/pimp, but the ex and I maintained our friendship, which was the important thing.

Reactions: Knight Shift
i went through a divorce in the mid 90s zazoo, so sorry it didn’t work out for you.

I found it ironic that I had to paid my ex wife’s attorney’s retainer, I actually paid a person to gouge me.

I found out the same thing, even after using a mediator...the attorneys still have to review the mediation document. Her attorney insisted on a full review of the document after having reviewed it once and there was only a minor change. He told her "what do you care, you're not paying for it!". If possible, have each of you pay for your own representation.

Best of luck to you in a frustration, upsetting and stressful situation. If you have kids, keep them out of it at all costs and take the high road, regardless. There's an old saying: "Never mud wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig loves it."

Better times will be ahead.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Absolutely insane that you are required to pay support a millisecond past 18th birthday. F'in lawyers! The only lower form of life is when they become politicians!!!

You probably need some humor right around now:
2f7132f01614765196efdda0f9311fc2--dog-humor-funny-humor.jpg

Is this a fair description of where you are now?
3d26fb64b1ff9c929105e21aa35b84ff--divorce-lawyers-divorce-humor.jpg

Reactions: ashokan
My best man was an attorney. He told me right out that once each party has an attorney, they contact each other and pretty much conspire to keep the thing going to bill as many hours as possible. They would be out of business if each side settled quickly and amicably.

Hoping my fellow RU brethren can provide an assist; currently in the midst of an unnecessarily nasty divorce. I wanted a civil/peaceful divorce via mediation, while my wife immediately lawyered-up and has taken me down an unexpectedly perilous path.

I'm looking for both attorney suggestions in South Jersey and best practices in contentious cases such as this.

TIA
Here's some things that I learned:

-If you are in mediation and she got a lawyer, you can continue mediation without having a lawyer on your side. You can operate "pro se" for a long time without getting an attorney yourself. I did this for a while. It saved me legal fees during the initial portion of the divorce and it drove my ex nuts because I would send an email response back to her attorney's letters; costing me some time and her about $100-300 per correspondence. You only need an attorney if: she files for divorce in court OR you have drafted settlement documents that need to be reviewed. So eventually, you'll need one. Not now. It is better to let the legal bill bleeding be one-sided at this point.

-THIS IS IMPORTANT: Get the mediator to establish a financial cut-off point as soon as possible. It can be a date in the past.This will stop you from having you pay half of her credit card bills while the divorce proceeds. My ex asked for a divorce and then got botox a few weeks later. I got stuck paying for half of that.

-If you have kids, get the custody part done first. That's the most important stuff. Also you can get 50-50 custody of your kids so long as you've been a responsible adult and a involved father. 50-50 isn't d hard to get.

-If you have kids, keep everything about the divorce out of their ears and eyes. Protect them. There is no better way to make them disfunctional adults than to drag them into your divorce process. Be as happy and supportive as you can

-THIS IS IMPORTANT: Don't get into arguments with your ex. You'll only hurt yourself emotionally or legally.

-Keep in mind that anything you say can be held against you- so don't say stupid things or make threats.

-try to record ANY conversation you have with your estranged wife. It is legal in NJ as long as you are speaking in the recording. You dont have to tell her you are recording your conversations with her (you can't record her if you are not present)

-Grab as much documentation around assets as you can and try to establish what your pre-marital assets are

-THIS IS IMPORTANT- Find out what things (custody, personal items) you will fight for and whether they are worth fighting for. Anchor high initially- meaning ask for way way more, but then come down to accepting only the things that REALLY matter. Asking for way more will be jarring to your ex, but this only works well if you QUICKLY retreat to getting what is really important.

Lastly, get this behind you and take the time to take care of yourself. The silver lining is that this gives you the opportunity to rebuild yourself to a life that you would have wanted but couldn't in your marriage. Good luck. Go RU!

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
My best man was an attorney. He told me right out that once each party has an attorney, they contact each other and pretty much conspire to keep the thing going to bill as many hours as possible. They would be out of business if each side settled quickly and amicably.
That is unethical and no reputable attorney would risk disbarment to engage in a conspiracy such as you claim against his/her client. I have been doing this for 25 years and did a lot of matrimonial earlier in my career. Never was I approached by an adversary to engage in the scenario you presented. It is fantasy and the op needs advice not fairy tails.

How does divorce happen? I don't know anyone who has ever gotten divorced so I am clueless on what it is like to divorce someone.

That is unethical and no reputable attorney would risk disbarment to engage in a conspiracy such as you claim against his/her client. I have been doing this for 25 years and did a lot of matrimonial earlier in my career. Never was I approached by an adversary to engage in the scenario you presented. It is fantasy and the op needs advice not fairy tails.
This would be one of the fastest ways possible to be disbarred

Reactions: cicero grimes
Hoping my fellow RU brethren can provide an assist; currently in the midst of an unnecessarily nasty divorce. I wanted a civil/peaceful divorce via mediation, while my wife immediately lawyered-up and has taken me down an unexpectedly perilous path.

I'm looking for both attorney suggestions in South Jersey and best practices in contentious cases such as this.

TIA

Been divorced twice / 1 annulment: how ANGRY is your wife? Can you guys communicate...or is she vindictive?

Lawyer up, protect yourself at all times, and no hitting below the belt in clinches...

MO

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. This board truly is a brotherhood! Speaking of which, where is brotherskinny?

Yes, we have one child, whom I'm trying to shield, best I can. Unfortunately, my wife comes from a litigious family...and as such, has the tatical high ground. I don't think the way she does (fortunately, though not in this case)..and neither does my attorney.

Er ah....if you don't go for the Gold / your attorney doesn't either...get a new attorney!

MO

out of curiosity, since Marriage is a contract, is there any way that you can mandate arbitration as part of the contract to avoid the messy alternative?

Reactions: zazoo2002
Get a female lawyer and think like a vindictive woman. Record everything, blow every action she makes into a major ordeal, understand that she is going to do this to you. Document document document and trust nothing and oh yeah, did I say, get a female lawyer?
You should be asking women who they used in divorces not men...

TIA

Some advise from a 6 year divorced, soon to be remarried guy, who has primary residential custody of his tween boys 12 1/2 and almost 11

First....remember one thing about this process. It costs both sides to litigate. Be very real with yourself on the likely outcome of the case and make emotionless, cost-effective decisions on when to push to go to litigate or when to call it a day. What may be fair to you is not necessarily what is going to be fair in the eyes of the law and judge so you must based your decisions here on the later and not the former. Not easily in an emotional situation like a divorce.

Second ...you must really projection ahead in your thinking when you finally settle. You need to think about how you life (and your soon to be. Ex) may evolve and craft those things into settlement positions. This can save you from having to seek court ruling later on when circumstances change that were a known possibility.

Third, most importantly, keep your mouth 100000000% shut around your child when it comes to your ex. Say nothing bad about her., regardless how you feel. Every negative word you say about your ex to try to poison the child will haunt you 10000X fold later with your later have an adult relationship with your child. Same goes in reverse. Take the high road ... no matter how bad the circumstances may be.
M

I'm deliberately not a divorce attorney. But your comment is so patently offensive about only caring about billable hours. Just this past Friday, my partner had a screaming match with one client, who was $20,000 in the hole on unpaid legal bills, yet insisted on continuing a war over the custody of the family dog. My partner was pleading with her to put an end to the hemorrhaging and she absolutely refused. She will collect her legal fees on the sale of their home, and will do So while shaking her head at their foolishness, which she screamed several times during this heated converation.

So sorry that we attornies have to bill when we do work for people. This is no different than every other working person everywhere. Particularly where that kind of work requires attorneys to deal with angry, irrational people at their absolute worst, who insist on wasting their money, despite our most sensible advice. How dare they complain about "only care about hours." Total and utter bullshit. They aren't all like the above instance, but those that are, it is the normally the people who are the scoundrels, and their attorneys work hard to the point of emotional exhaustion to save clients not only from their spouse, but from themselves as well.
Didn't mean to offend you. My wife is an attorney so I get your point. My comment was more of a joke. I sincerely apologize.

Reactions: Knight Shift

TIA

It will be hard, but take the high road, especially if you have kids. Let your lawyer sling the mud.

Didn't mean to offend you. My wife is an attorney so I get your point. My comment was more of a joke. I sincerely apologize.

You don't owe me any apology! I get more offended by the sentiment that I know exists. I know hundreds of lawyers and can only think of a couple who I feel have a greedy disposition towards their clients.

I was serious about the prenup question . Seems like with all the marriages ending in divorce and people getting married later in life ..i.e more assets. You would think more people would enter into them and wonder how/if held up in court.
I talked to an attorney about a prenup prior to getting married. He said unless you have ridiculous money it’s a waste to have one in NJ

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT