ADVERTISEMENT

OT; The 150th Open Championship

People need to keep in mind that Hideki brings the whole Japan market to LIV if he goes there. He's their Tiger, so even though he may not be as good as or as big of a name here as a Koepka, Bryson, DJ, he is a god in Japan and that's a gigantic market to tap into.

Exposure how? The top golfers get more than enough exposure. And right now, LIV is relegated to streaming services (and with events overseas - odd times for the US audience to watch).
Exposure when they would play on the PGA if they were allowed. DJ had a lot of TV time during the Open.
The LIV has 4 in a row in the US. Open did very well too with TV.

Exposure when they would play on the PGA if they were allowed. DJ had a lot of TV time during the Open.
The LIV has 4 in a row in the US. Open did very well too with TV.

The Open is a unique event though. I doubt you'd get nearly the same type of ratings for a random LIV event in Saudi Arabia, etc if broadcast at odd hours. The biggest issue working against them compared to the British Open, is that the new league is controversial. I'd wager a lot of random golf fans who tuned into the Open on NBC likely won't tune into Youtube to watch a LIV event. And I doubt the reverse is all that high - fans who won't watch the Open but would tune into a LIV event.

I am still not getting your exposure comment. Who is getting exposure? The players? The PGA Tour?

Again I am still trying to figure out what the long term play here is for LIV. Are they angling to eventually get major network TV deals? Or are they just going to stick to streaming services?

Yeah that and the Presidents Cup. Once those take place, I wonder if you see way more movement. Conversely, if not much happens after those events, then maybe LIV has petered out a bit, for now.
Only 6 LIV events left and these guys get the whole month of August off. May be a little rust before September. This is where I agree the PGA Tour could have approved the players this year just to see how it goes. Remember these guys did't want to play in the fall, but now have 5 events from Labor Day to end of October. Ratings are always low when going against the NFL.

Only 6 LIV events left and these guys get the whole month of August off. May be a little rust before September. This is where I agree the PGA Tour could have approved the players this year just to see how it goes. Remember these guys did't want to play in the fall, but now have 5 events from Labor Day to end of October. Ratings are always low when going against the NFL.

I tend to agree. They could have done this as a trial run and just saw how things worked. I assume the 54 hole thing is because knowing their events are largely in the fall, who wants to go up against the NFL on a Sunday?

But I also can somewhat understand why the PGA Tour is trying to protect themselves and their tour here. There likely was a better way to go about this. But Norman is no saint either and I can understand if the PGA Tour powers also wondered if they could trust him.

Reactions: Section124
The Open is a unique event though. I doubt you'd get nearly the same type of ratings for a random LIV event in Saudi Arabia, etc if broadcast at odd hours. The biggest issue working against them compared to the British Open, is that the new league is controversial. I'd wager a lot of random golf fans who tuned into the Open on NBC likely won't tune into Youtube to watch a LIV event. And I doubt the reverse is all that high - fans who won't watch the Open but would tune into a LIV event.

I am still not getting your exposure comment. Who is getting exposure? The players? The PGA Tour?

Again I am still trying to figure out what the long term play here is for LIV. Are they angling to eventually get major network TV deals? Or are they just going to stick to streaming services?
Yes the PGA Tour. Like it or not, Phil, DJ and DeChambeau are still very popular with the general public. It was the PGA's decision to ban them.

Yes the PGA Tour. Like it or not, Phil, DJ and DeChambeau are still very popular with the general public. It was the PGA's decision to ban them.

But the PGA Tour isn't suffering from lack of exposure. DJ playing in a LIV event isn't suddenly going to raise the prospects of the PGA Tour. Frankly, they all got way more exposure pissing and moaning and pushing each other's buttons. LOL.

But the PGA Tour isn't suffering from lack of exposure. DJ playing in a LIV event isn't suddenly going to raise the prospects of the PGA Tour. Frankly, they all got way more exposure pissing and moaning and pushing each other's buttons. LOL.
Huh. Your are saying those 3 aren't popular?

Huh. Your are saying those 3 aren't popular?

I am not saying that at all. But I am still confused by your comment that letting them play in LIV events raises the exposure of the PGA Tour. The PGA Tour doesn't really need "exposure" so I am not really sure where this big PR benefit to letting them play LIV events is. And as it stands right now, few people compared to PGA events are tuning into LIV events.

Honestly, my apologies if I am missing your point here.

I am not saying that at all. But I am still confused by your comment that letting them play in LIV events raises the exposure of the PGA Tour. The PGA Tour doesn't really need "exposure" so I am not really sure where this big PR benefit to letting them play LIV events is. And as it stands right now, few people compared to PGA events are tuning into LIV events.

Honestly, my apologies if I am missing your point here.
Your are missing my point. I was answering a question. It would have been a better move for the PGA not to ban these players as long as they kept playing the required PGA minimum. The PGA is better off with Phil, DJ and DeChambeau playing in PGA events. They bring eyeballs to the TV.

Yeah I am not buying these rumors. For starters, Cam Smith apparently has confirmed he's not jumping to LIV, at least not yet. He's going to finish out the 2022 season. I guess he may make the jump later.

And Smith was rumored to be offered around $90-100 million. Matsuyama getting $300 million? That seems completely out of whack with what other top stars got. DJ didn't get close to that. Neither did Koepka. As I noted, Smith is rumored at $90 million.
Maybe it’s ¥300mm yen.

knightfan7 has a lifetime hall pass from me. He shouldn’t be expected to read previous posts before weighing in on any topic. He is privileged.
Thank you for realizing it.

If you'd like I could nominate you for the group but the requirements are pretty tough. What's your HDCP these days?

Your are missing my point. I was answering a question. It would have been a better move for the PGA not to ban these players as long as they kept playing the required PGA minimum. The PGA is better off with Phil, DJ and DeChambeau playing in PGA events. They bring eyeballs to the TV.
They bring eyeballs but allowing them to play might make the PGA feel they're legitimizing a rival tour and that they don't want to do.
Share the wealth isn't their goal.
Making the LIV go away is.
Could be a legal move that stands up to scrutiny or could be one that is found illegal.
That will be determined at a future date, but for now the PGA isn't going to help the competition in any way,shape or form .

I feel before the DOJ decides one way or another the PGA and LIV will reach a deal and both tours will work together to maximize their profits and end the expense that fighting each other is costing them

Ahhhh, I get it now. Again, my apologies. I am not sure I agree that the PGA Tour will now suffer because DJ and DeChambeau aren't playing in, say the Memorial or Players Championship. There are still enough stars and names in the PGA Tour to weather some of these defections.

But admittedly, we are getting close to the line where if a few more big names bolt, especially a couple of Top 10 names bolt, things can change quickly.

They bring eyeballs but allowing them to play might make the PGA feel they're legitimizing a rival tour and that they don't want to do.
Share the wealth isn't their goal.
Making the LIV go away is.
Could be a legal move that stands up to scrutiny or could be one that is found illegal.
That will be determined at a future date, but for now the PGA isn't going to help the competition in any way,shape or form .

I feel before the DOJ decides one way or another the PGA and LIV will reach a deal and both tours will work together to maximize their profits and end the expense that fighting each other is costing them
The PGA already has alread legitimized rival tours. DP Tour. Asia Tour. Etc.
Agree it is better to work out a deal instead of fighting them. There is plenty of room for another Tour. The PGA should give up the the stupid wrap around season. Nobody watches or cares about the PGA once the NFL starts in the US. Let them all play anywhere in the fall. Let the LIV pay them the big bucks and everyone will be happy.

The PGA already has alread legitimized rival tours. DP Tour. Asia Tour. Etc.
Agree it is better to work out a deal instead of fighting them. There is plenty of room for another Tour. The PGA should give up the the stupid wrap around season. Nobody watches or cares about the PGA once the NFL starts in the US. Let them all play anywhere in the fall. Let the LIV pay them the big bucks and everyone will be happy.

Would LIV got to a strictly a fall and early winter season? I think the real issue is the cross over weeks in the spring where the Tour would want some top level golfers playing in events like the Travelers and not all of them jet setting over to France for a LIV event.

Would LIV got to a strictly a fall and early winter season? I think the real issue is the cross over weeks in the spring where the Tour would want some top level golfers playing in events like the Travelers and not all of them jet setting over to France for a LIV event.
I think that is something they both need to work out. I think they should fold the WGC. Give those inseason weeks to the LIV, expand the field to include the top Korn Ferry tour players. Top players making big money.

Reactions: Section124
I think that is something they both need to work out. I think they should fold the WGC. Give those inseason weeks to the LIV, expand the field to include the top Korn Ferry tour players. Top players making big money.

I guess but as a fan, I could really give two craps about making "top money". I don't really care or worry about Dustin Johnson not getting paid enough to have to play in a WGC event as opposed to a LIV event where he gets paid a crap ton of money to play 54 holes with only his putter if he wanted to.

Reactions: raritan1
A buddy made a interesting comment to me. One of the things that pro-LIV people have stated is that their tour is adapting to the fanbase and giving them what the fans want.

But what they have created or trying to create is an atmosphere that is more roller derby than golf. And maybe some may like that, but I have my doubts that's what most golf fans want. He said, how annoying is it watching a golf tournament and someone yells "Ba ba booey" or some other dumb ass comment right after a guy hits his ball? That's the kind of atmosphere LIV is trying to set up. Smoke machines, loud music? LOL.

I guess but as a fan, I could really give two craps about making "top money". I don't really care or worry about Dustin Johnson not getting paid enough to have to play in a WGC event as opposed to a LIV event where he gets paid a crap ton of money to play 54 holes with only his putter if he wanted to.
It's not to make you happy at all. It's to make the players happy. Get a few paydays from the LIV and play happily on the PGA Tour. If you don't know about the issues players have had with the PGA it is something you should look into. The LIV saw an opportunity to pounce and pounce they did.

Well, we're back. It was a great trip for us but the luggage and golf clubs didn't have a good time. It seems Heathrow and Edinburgh are short on staff so everything got backed up. I waited in Edinburgh for 5 hours before our stuff arrived. Everything is being shipped home DHL which is working better.
This was the best organized tournament I've ever been too and it was because of the setup by the R&A. I've now been to all 4 majors and no matter where you were on the course, you were close to everything and we had no problem getting in or out.
As for the tournament, Cam Smith was the only player I saw on number 17 left of the bunker who ended up making par. That was a sure bogey (played hardest on the course) except for him. I think he had 11 putts on the back and for the day, Rory had 9 more putts than Smith.
We bought a lot of things that said "150th" and it all goes to our 8 year old grandson who is playing in the US kids world championship early in August at mid-Pines.

Well, we're back. It was a great trip for us but the luggage and golf clubs didn't have a good time. It seems Heathrow and Edinburgh are short on staff so everything got backed up. I waited in Edinburgh for 5 hours before our stuff arrived. Everything is being shipped home DHL which is working better.
This was the best organized tournament I've ever been too and it was because of the setup by the R&A. I've now been to all 4 majors and no matter where you were on the course, you were close to everything and we had no problem getting in or out.
As for the tournament, Cam Smith was the only player I saw on number 17 left of the bunker who ended up making par. That was a sure bogey (played hardest on the course) except for him. I think he had 11 putts on the back and for the day, Rory had 9 more putts than Smith.
We bought a lot of things that said "150th" and it all goes to our 8 year old grandson who is playing in the US kids world championship early in August at mid-Pines.
I saw a picture this AM on the amount of golf bags sitting in Edinburgh was crazy. I am glad I decided to hold off on the Scotland trip this summer. Hopefully Heathrow is better by November when I am there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT